1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:
Millah wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
kryton wrote:Reviewing the gif and I stumbled on a revelation. They didn't start building the first castle until AFTER Megan shook building material from her hair. It's not a sand/coffee/semen castle, it's a DANDRUFF Castle.

Are we to assume then, that before T0 they spent so much time sitting on that knoll that they had shed enough dandruff to build this monument?

He didn't say it was all THEIR dandruff.

How structurally sound would a dandruff castle be anyway? We need data. It's time that we all got together for some real world testing.

how structurally sound would a semen castle be? (i'm not suggesting we get together for real world testing on that one)

How structurally sound would a semen-and-dandruff castle be? Sand castles typically require a solid and liquid component anyhow.

...I think I'll just go back to figuring out how Randall got this to keep playing in my room even after I unplugged my speakers and bashed them in with an iron pipe. Some of these HTML5 features feel rather unnecessary.

Everybody must listen to this as we await the next newpix. I declare it part of the religion of the Usserisses.

I like the music.
A Religion with good music can't be all weird.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Wow..I've been gone for almost 12NP. How long has be been building by himself? I still fervently believe (as any religious zealot should) that Time is about Cueball and Megan. If Megan has been out of the Time Frame for that long, it can't be good.

I refute this claim. Time is the story of the sand castle(s). Megan and Cueball are merely the exposition into the extensive but slow-paced saga of the creation and perhaps ultimate destruction of the Sand Castle.

No no no. The Sandcastle is a representation of the world built by Megan and Cueball as a result of their life together and the "building" of their relationship.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:11 am UTC

I suggest that an overarching period be established starting with frame 180, "The Rising of the Tide". There have been at least three frames since then in which the ocean has changed slightly, generally in the upward direction.

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:11 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Wow..I've been gone for almost 12NP. How long has be been building by himself? I still fervently believe (as any religious zealot should) that Time is about Cueball and Megan. If Megan has been out of the Time Frame for that long, it can't be good.

I refute this claim. Time is the story of the sand castle(s). Megan and Cueball are merely the exposition into the extensive but slow-paced saga of the creation and perhaps ultimate destruction of the Sand Castle.

No no no. The Sandcastle is a representation of the world built by Megan and Cueball as a result of their life together and the "building" of their relationship.

I thought that at first but now I'm starting to think Randall is just screwing around.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:The tide is beginning to rise, guys. Very slowly, but it's happening. It makes another change between 189 and 190.

Weird thing. Between the first post-pan-&-zoom newpix and the last (164 & 192), not only has the water risen by about one pixel, but also, the beach seems to be . . . eroding? The castles haven't budged by even a fraction of a px, but the beach between the first castle and the water is lower or to the left of where it was, if lower then by about 1 px.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:14 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Weird thing. Between the first post-pan-&-zoom newpix and the last (164 & 192), not only has the water risen by about one pixel, but also, the beach seems to be . . . eroding? The castles haven't budged by even a fraction of a px, but the beach between the first castle and the water is lower or to the left of where it was, if lower then by about 1 px.

By the end, the entire comic will be nothing but a perfect, white rectangle on top and a perfect, black rectangle on bottom.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:14 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

I thought that at first but now I'm starting to think Randall is just screwing around.

Not necessarily. If Time is a representation of the building of their relationship, condensed in allegorical form, then we've got...what? six years of relationship to cover?
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:14 am UTC

bouer wrote:
jello34543 wrote:
Pfhost wrote:If it weren't for the likes of Aubron Wood and such here, I wouldn't be able to follow this comic at all. I already can't follow this thread properly.

No one can follow this thread properly. That's part of the fun.

I have read every single post. It is perfectly possible to follow the thread properly, just not possible to do anything else properly while doing so.

Even the late-added held-in-moderation posts? I know I've been missing some of those. Who knows what great posts we've been missing from newbies?! .... Actually... Probably not much.
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Zentdayn wrote:
jello34543 wrote:
Zentdayn wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
squonk wrote:Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

If this had been a .gif to start with, or if it had been hacked/spoiled, most of us would've moved on by now. With a half hour of thought between each subtle change, we have a lot of time to think about it and about ourselves. It's managed to gather and unite a large(ish) collection of people, most of whom had never posted on this forum before, just by making us wait and giving us Time.

Well-put. I'm very glad this wasn't spoiled.

Agreed. I found that I lost interest in Click and Drag much more quickly than I ought to have because the zoom versions sucked the magic out of it. And I just couldn't resist.

Yup.
#Forum Users:
Before Time:500
After Time: 500xnewpix^2

Average Post Count
Before Time: 20
After Time: a lot

Amount of Madness:
Before Time: Normal
After Time: ??? ( we all know there is nothing after the end of Time)
During Time: So big 64bits just ain't enough

( Value are examples they are not real)

I was curious earlier today, so I checked. As of when I counted, there were 1850 new users since Monday. Some of them are now over 100 posts.

Nice one for checking that on monday.
Wow...
That's like ... a lot.
I wonder if Randall was expecting this to become such a MMONS.

To be fair, it's less that 1% of the 237500 registered users. Current count since Monday is 2125, or another 300 in some small number of hours.

shadowjester

Postby shadowjester » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 am UTC

Still a huge number of users added in a span of 190 newpix or so.
I am a Sandist TimeWaiter. I wait for it.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Lucia wrote:even more exotic substances

It's okay; it's 2013; it's okay to say it. "Semen." Or, rather: "Caffeinated semen."

Cancerbabies.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 am UTC

jello34543 wrote:
Zentdayn wrote:
jello34543 wrote:
Zentdayn wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
squonk wrote:Have we completely given up on hacking the images out? Surely somebody could write a virus that will speed up Randll's computer clock a thousand times or so?

If this had been a .gif to start with, or if it had been hacked/spoiled, most of us would've moved on by now. With a half hour of thought between each subtle change, we have a lot of time to think about it and about ourselves. It's managed to gather and unite a large(ish) collection of people, most of whom had never posted on this forum before, just by making us wait and giving us Time.

Well-put. I'm very glad this wasn't spoiled.

Agreed. I found that I lost interest in Click and Drag much more quickly than I ought to have because the zoom versions sucked the magic out of it. And I just couldn't resist.

Yup.
#Forum Users:
Before Time:500
After Time: 500xnewpix^2

Average Post Count
Before Time: 20
After Time: a lot

Amount of Madness:
Before Time: Normal
After Time: ??? ( we all know there is nothing after the end of Time)
During Time: So big 64bits just ain't enough

( Value are examples they are not real)

I was curious earlier today, so I checked. As of when I counted, there were 1850 new users since Monday. Some of them are now over 100 posts.

Nice one for checking that on monday.
Wow...
That's like ... a lot.
I wonder if Randall was expecting this to become such a MMONS.

To be fair, it's less that 1% of the 237500 registered users. Current count since Monday is 2125, or another 300 in some small number of newpix.

FTFY
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:
Ayriannah wrote:Umm.. several newpix ago, I made the Initiates of Time wiki page, so that's my vote...

Added to the glossary

I want to re-cast my vote! I like Initiates of Time!

shadowjester

Postby shadowjester » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Caffinatedsemencancerbabies.
I am a Sandist TimeWaiter. I wait for it.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:I suggest that an overarching period be established starting with frame 180, "The Rising of the Tide". There have been at least three frames since then in which the ocean has changed slightly, generally in the upward direction.

While the ocean has moved, far more interesting things have been going on. 183 onward is currently named "Operation Connect Castle."

KarMann wrote:
Weird thing. Between the first post-pan-&-zoom newpix and the last (164 & 192), not only has the water risen by about one pixel, but also, the beach seems to be . . . eroding? The castles haven't budged by even a fraction of a px, but the beach between the first castle and the water is lower or to the left of where it was, if lower then by about 1 px.

these are tiny changes, which may or may not be intentional.

Wait for it.

Just noticed my postcount is at thirty. I joined yesterday. I have no life.
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 am UTC

shadowjester wrote:Caffinatedsemencancerbabies.

Someday you're going to be looking through your old posts and come across this and be like, "what the hell?!" Of course, the same could be said for many posts in this thread...
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 am UTC

shadowjester wrote:Caffinatedsemencancerbabies.

It worries and amuses me in equal measure that a forum populated by people with an interest in a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language can result in an abomination such as this.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

theinklings

Postby theinklings » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Ayriannah wrote:these are tiny changes, which may or may not be intentional.

Wait for it.

To me, those changes don't look like anything to worry about. If the ocean was moving, I think it would be more noticeable.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:21 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:I suggest that an overarching period be established starting with frame 180, "The Rising of the Tide". There have been at least three frames since then in which the ocean has changed slightly, generally in the upward direction.

Perhaps a taxonomy of eons, eras, periods, epochs, and ages is in order. Or we might want to leave epochs out, to avoid confusion with that other epoch, and the Beginning of Time.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:22 am UTC

Wolfram Alpha shows daily visitors history for XKCD; I don't see a spike recently.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=xkcd

Black Hat Guy

Postby Black Hat Guy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:23 am UTC

Cueball seems to be trying to combine the two small turrets to form a big tower. You see how he's sweeping them into the center?
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:25 am UTC

Black Hat Guy wrote:Cueball seems to be trying to combine the two small turrets to form a big tower. You see how he's sweeping them into the center?

I think you're right, and if you are it will be the largest (visible) tower yet.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:26 am UTC

bouer wrote:Wolfram Alpha shows daily visitors history for XKCD; I don't see a spike recently.

thank you for posting this, i love seeing the html tree for xkcd that was really cool.
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

Sedasa

Postby Sedasa » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 am UTC

Regarding finding the forums on the website: You can still find the forums if you go to the About link. There's a forum link on that page. I personally think Randall should switch out the Blag link with a link to the forums since he hasn't updated his blog since September of last year.
peewee_RotA wrote:Epic Weirdness be a requirement for being the pope.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:29 am UTC

bouer wrote:Wolfram Alpha shows daily visitors history for XKCD; I don't see a spike recently.

If you go to the "last month" scale, you can see that it only goes up through March 25 the Epoch. So no, it wouldn't show a spike.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:29 am UTC

Here comes the tick of another newpics.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:31 am UTC

Sedasa wrote:Regarding finding the forums on the website: You can still find the forums if you go to the About link. There's a forum link on that page. I personally think Randall should switch out the Blag link with a link to the forums since he hasn't updated his blog since September of last year.

He could remove the Store link instead. It's redundant.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:31 am UTC

. . . It's late!!!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:32 am UTC

Something's wrong. It isn't updating.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:32 am UTC

Sedasa wrote:Regarding finding the forums on the website: You can still find the forums if you go to the About link. There's a forum link on that page. I personally think Randall should switch out the Blag link with a link to the forums since he hasn't updated his blog since September of last year.

Or the store link since there's a giant one immediately under the xkcd logo. Of course, this has already been mentioned in the course of over 4k posts. :D

Edit:
and again on this page. (I need to learn to type faster on this tablet keyboard)
Last edited by slinches on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:32 am UTC

I think it updated. Just very slightly...
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 am UTC

Nope, same hash.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:Something's wrong. It isn't updating.

It's kind of updating. When I refresh, I occasionally get him with a slightly higher tower, but then it reverts to the previous frame within a second.

Edit: @ darthjimmy, no, there's a frame where the tower is clearly higher.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:34 am UTC

I see this when I use the direct link

Edit: I do think the Initiates of Time is the superior name, I would change the poll but there is no way to do such trickery in that simple site.
Last edited by diego5wh on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:34 am UTC

This can't be the end. But someone should run the changed-pixels comparison for this one and the one before it, just to be sure.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:34 am UTC

Whoever said Time flows at a constant rate? So far it's already violated that once. At this point we should expect anything.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:34 am UTC

Sorry, you guys are right. There's a bug.

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 am UTC

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And heaven in a wild flower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in two newpix." -William Blake

... or something like that.
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:Nope, same hash.

Ooooh! Thank you for the reminder! tehe

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 am UTC

because its so hard to backtrack through time without ending up further behind in posts, i wanted to see if anyone noticed that megans castle was more fanciful than cueballs and if so i wonder what we'll see when it zooms out again and shows what she's done in the meantime.
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”