1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ayriannah

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ayriannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 am UTC

I fell like it's new year's, sitting here waiting for midnight to roll around. 8 minutes (~1/3 of a newpix)
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Helper wrote:
swey wrote:I just wanted to fit in

I love it; HAL's commentary on sig-taking had caused at least 2 people to quote him in their sig.

See, now I might have to put that in my sig.
I have a bloody nose, and that made me laugh hard enough to blast out the kleenex I had stuck in my nostril.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

I just wanted to fit in

Finally picked one. It's been my one of my favs all along!

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:55 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

I just wanted to fit in

We accept her! We accept her! One of us! One of us! Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble!

Hah I've been waiting for good sig to use from this thread and you made it happen

*cough* him *cough*

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:56 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
bouer wrote::evil:
HAL9000 wrote:
darthjimmy wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:This thread is a goldmine for signatures.

That one keeps cropping up...

Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Actually the thread took from my sig, not the other way around. I wrote the original and final versions of the creed.

How many pages ago was that?

Original post was page 63. Several of us worked together to make it better and I sigged the current copy around 70.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:56 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:See, now I might have to put that in my sig.
I have a bloody nose, and that made me laugh hard enough to blast out the kleenex I had stuck in my nostril.

Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 am UTC

fixer wrote:
JordanTheProgrammer wrote:
Helper wrote:Kay, time to start sacrificing virgins.

What! Don't worry ladies, I'm here to save you!
Can't be sacrificed if your not virgins, line up orderly. :D

Sorry, dude, that ship has sailed. It's past Valinor and about to reach Mordor's east coast by now.

I can Swim!

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Am I going crazy or are some of the posts disappearing?

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Each timeframe begins with the GONG, while newpix begin when the new pic appears, correct? So there was a larger than usual gap between the two at 192np.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 am UTC

swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:

I just wanted to fit in

We accept her! We accept her! One of us! One of us! Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble!

Hah I've been waiting for good sig to use from this thread and you made it happen

*cough* him *cough*

Sorry. Original quote (from Freaks) uses 'her.'
Oooh new frame in 3mins!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:58 am UTC

In 3 what?
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 am UTC

bouer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
darthjimmy wrote:

Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Actually the thread took from my sig, not the other way around. I wrote the original and final versions of the creed.

Original post was page 63. Several of us worked together to make it better and I sigged the current copy around 70.

My copy of the creed of the One True Comic is the correct version. I helped write the original draft of the first lines, and the second half was created by somebody whose name escapes me.
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Lucia wrote:In 3 what?

Sorry, meant to say .1 newpix.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Helper wrote:

I love it; HAL's commentary on sig-taking had caused at least 2 people to quote him in their sig.

Creating a self-referencing loop in my sig only seemed appropriate for an xkcd forum :D
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:

I just wanted to fit in

*cough* him *cough*

Sorry. Original quote (from Freaks) uses 'her.'
Oooh new frame in 3mins!

no prob, i figured that had to be from something but if memory serves there was this same confusion back on page 2-5 and nostalgia got the better of me

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Yay, it's nothing!
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Black Hat Guy

Postby Black Hat Guy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 am UTC

I got one too. :D
Last edited by Black Hat Guy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Lucia wrote:Each timeframe begins with the GONG, while newpix begin when the new pic appears, correct? So there was a larger than usual gap between the two at 192np.

Au contraire, the newpix gap was just the same size as all the others. However, in the interim, Time Outside seems to have passed at an accelerated rate.
After all, a newpix is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Helper wrote:

Creating a self-referencing loop in my sig only seemed appropriate for an xkcd forum :D

I feel like now is the time to mention xkcd #244.

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
bouer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
darthjimmy wrote:

My copy of the creed of the One True Comic is the correct version. I helped write the original draft of the first lines, and the second half was created by somebody whose name escapes me.

That somebody was me:) Our copies of the one true creed are identical.

Edit: almost identical
Last edited by bouer on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
swey wrote:

I just wanted to fit in

Why does it look familiar to me?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Wow, Cueball really is slow with building this sand castle...

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Newpic!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:04 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:Wow, Cueball really is slow with building this sand castle...

Or the rate of time between each frame is slower than it was earlier.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 am UTC

I feel that Cueball is just much slower than Megan at building.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:07 am UTC

Every time I click on the first page of this thread, the comic is different. Each drawing was interesting in its own right, and on topic, as if Randal's point was to say "Take a minute to enjoy yourself.". I gave the initial comic some time, but not enough to see the change. This thread is 119 pages and counting, a new record maybe?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:07 am UTC

Good night all. I will find out what happens in 13 or 14NP. I can only hope that Megan will return and they can build together once again. I can only hope that the Creator of Time, in his ineffable wisdom, will make it so. Time was created with Cueball and Megan in it. They belong together.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:07 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Helper wrote:

Except that time was also 70 new pages ago:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3305646&hilit=xkcd.com%2F244#p3305646

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:10 am UTC

I thought it would be worth mentioning that we are currently averaging about .62 NewPages per newpix. I wonder if we will ever catch up...

EDIT: by "catch up" I mean newpage/newpix >= 1.
Last edited by darthjimmy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:11 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Whence the appellations, "Megan" and "Cueball" for the characters in this drama?
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:10 am UTC

slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Helper wrote:

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3305646&hilit=xkcd.com%2F244#p3305646

Oh, sorry. That was part of the chunk I skipped (from 35ish to 55ish) so I could catch up.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Davidy wrote:Whence the appellations, "Megan" and "Cueball" for the characters in this drama?

Megan is a name that has been used repeatedly for that character.
Cueall because his featureless white spherical head looks like, well, a cue ball.

EDIT: sorry about all this double posting. I'll pay more attention from now on.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:11 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
swey wrote:

I just wanted to fit in

/pauses ... you mean I can't have the same one? But I like this one!!!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:13 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Helper wrote:

Oh, sorry. That was part of the chunk I skipped (from 35ish to 55ish) so I could catch up.

No worries. It just adds to the many layers of recursiveness :D

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:13 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Davidy wrote:Whence the appellations, "Megan" and "Cueball" for the characters in this drama?

Cueall because his featureless white spherical head looks like, well, a cue ball.

I understand that, but when did it begin? When/what was the first comic when these names were used, and who did the naming?
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Wraithlord (or anyone else) do you have a good English to R'lyehian translator? We should translate the creed.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

I understand that, but when did it begin? When/what was the first comic when these names were used, and who did the naming?

This is a good place to start for the answers to these and other questions about the characters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xkcd#Characters

The most common recurring female "character" is known as Megan in several strips; she was first referred to by name in comic No. 159 – "Boombox",and again several times afterward although she may have appeared earlier as an unnamed character notably in comic 108. She is recognized by her short, dark hair.

Cueball is not an "official" name and I don't know where it came from.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:16 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
swey wrote:

I just wanted to fit in

/pauses ... you mean I can't have the same one? But I like this one!!!

You read way too much into my words (it's not uncommon on this thread). Of course you can.
By the way, I see some people here without a signature. I'm going to insert or update a Quotes page in the wiki.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:17 am UTC

bouer wrote:Wraithlord (or anyone else) do you have a good English to R'lyehian translator? We should translate the creed.

OHMYGOD you are such NERDS!!!!! (this is AWESOME!)

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:18 am UTC

Helper wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:See, now I might have to put that in my sig.

Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

I like many others have to go to sleep, but I did finally pick a sig, I bet this is how people entering a new religion feel like.
Good night y'all
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”