1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 am UTC

paulmiranda wrote:Um. Just wow.
This thread now contains more than 3% of all replies to any individual comic.

Which is a little under 30 times the theoretical average. Wonder what the least is?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

swiftblade13

Postby swiftblade13 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
fixer wrote:
JordanTheProgrammer wrote:
Helper wrote:Kay, time to start sacrificing virgins.

What! Don't worry ladies, I'm here to save you!
Can't be sacrificed if your not virgins, line up orderly. :D

Sorry, dude, that ship has sailed. It's past Valinor and about to reach Mordor's east coast by now.

You're assuming a round Middle-Earth here, I've seen no evidence to back up that hypothesis.

why must it always be Middle-Earth DOES THE DISKWORLD MEAN NOTHING TO YOU PEOPLE :evil:

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:The creepiest part is seeing this in Lucia's signature before getting caught up to the actual post. Or was the statement repeated? It's like seeing glimpses into the future.

Moreover, does it even matter any more? We may have just accidentally the whole singularity.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

AUS

Postby AUS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 am UTC

What the fuck is with all the signature nonsense in this thread?

Primis

Postby Primis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 am UTC

Well, my GIF program has a delay, originally, it was set to '100' then upon a redditor's request I made it '10'. But that seems too fast. I've made a compromise at '45' now.
Let me know if this isn't (fast/slow) enough:
EDIT: Alternatively, I can artificially make the dialog slower by adding in more copies of that frame, please let me know, I want to make this GIF the best GIF possible.
Last edited by Primis on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 am UTC

I leave for 2 newpix and there's 3 new pages? Praise the Time Lord... I think it's getting faster even as Time moves slower

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 am UTC

AUS wrote:What the fuck is with all the signature nonsense in this thread?

Oh you clever forumite.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:46 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Helper wrote:
diego5wh wrote:I like many others have to go to sleep, but I did finally pick a sig, I bet this is how people entering a new religion feel like.
Good night y'all

People keep sigging me and I don't know how to feel about it. :oops: Although I suppose a sense of belongingness to a crazy cult religion is as good as any.

Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

The creepiest part is seeing this in Lucia's signature before getting caught up to the actual post. Or was the statement repeated? It's like seeing glimpses into the future.

When I read through the religion part of the thread last night I was seeing so many quotes in people's sigs ahead of time. It was always fun coming across the original source of each quote.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 am UTC

bouer wrote:Wraithlord (or anyone else) do you have a good English to R'lyehian translator? We should translate the creed.

Taking fairly extreme liberties with the translation due to the lack of a comprehensive vocabulary, much less a consistent grammar:

Vulgtlagln Ran'dall Ph'gnaiih
K'yarnak Nw'phlegethog
Lw'nafh Nw'nglui
Wgah'n Syha'hgrah'n
Hai'hupadgh
Cfm'latgh shugg!
Na'cf'htagn!
Cnnn'yar!
C'ilyaa!!

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 am UTC

Lucia wrote:When I read through the religion part of the thread last night I was seeing so many quotes in people's sigs ahead of time. It was always fun coming across the original source of each quote.

And then some jerkwad like AUS comes along and completely destroys causality...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Helper wrote:
diego5wh wrote:I like many others have to go to sleep, but I did finally pick a sig, I bet this is how people entering a new religion feel like.
Good night y'all

People keep sigging me and I don't know how to feel about it. :oops: Although I suppose a sense of belongingness to a crazy cult religion is as good as any.

Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

The creepiest part is seeing this in Lucia's signature before getting caught up to the actual post. Or was the statement repeated? It's like seeing glimpses into the future.

I only spotted that when you mentioned it and I now feel fulfilled. This is one of the greatest newpix of my life.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:48 am UTC

I love that you calculated that.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:48 am UTC

swiftblade13 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
fixer wrote:
JordanTheProgrammer wrote:
Helper wrote:Kay, time to start sacrificing virgins.

What! Don't worry ladies, I'm here to save you!
Can't be sacrificed if your not virgins, line up orderly. :D

Sorry, dude, that ship has sailed. It's past Valinor and about to reach Mordor's east coast by now.

You're assuming a round Middle-Earth here, I've seen no evidence to back up that hypothesis.

why must it always be Middle-Earth DOES THE DISKWORLD MEAN NOTHING TO YOU PEOPLE :evil:

Of course it does, it has already been mentioned many many Newpix/Timeframes ago (I believe after the first mention of Sandcastles of Hanoi) that it would be sandcastles all the way up
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Qalyar wrote:
bouer wrote:Wraithlord (or anyone else) do you have a good English to R'lyehian translator? We should translate the creed.

Taking fairly extreme liberties with the translation due to the lack of a comprehensive vocabulary, much less a consistent grammar:

K'yarnak Nw'phlegethog
Lw'nafh Nw'nglui
Wgah'n Syha'hgrah'n
Hai'hupadgh
Cfm'latgh shugg!
Na'cf'htagn!
Cnnn'yar!
C'ilyaa!!

Nice, I wish I had more room in my sig :x
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Looking back, it was a mere 6 posts in that people started speculating morbidly about the meaning of this comic. And about babies. Come to think of it, this post probably set the mood for a good 60% of the thread.

goorpy wrote:I just hope his wife is okay. Something in my gut is telling me there's either good news or bad news in that area, and I hope it's good news.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:51 am UTC

Qalyar wrote:

K'yarnak Nw'phlegethog
Lw'nafh Nw'nglui
Wgah'n Syha'hgrah'n
Hai'hupadgh
Cfm'latgh shugg!
Na'cf'htagn!
Cnnn'yar!
C'ilyaa!!

Umm . . . would you settle for a hearty "Ïa! Ïa!"?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 am UTC

Primis wrote:Well, my GIF program has a delay, originally, it was set to '100' then upon a redditor's request I made it '10'. But that seems too fast. I've made a compromise at '45' now.

That's perfect. It's almost as if you channelled Lord Randall himself. The only way that could be better is with a slight delay on the text frames for readability, but then all should have studied the scripture of Time thoroughly enough that it isn't necessary.

Edit:
Dammit. Ninja'd by the OP.
Last edited by slinches on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 am UTC

Last time I checked it was at 2.9%. I wonder how high it'll get by the time this comic ends?
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Which is a little under 30 times the theoretical average. Wonder what the least is?

there are 13 comic threads with 0 replies. 1099 has the fewest views, with 6, total. Closely following is 1065, with 7 views (and not replies.)

viewforum.php?f=7 sort by replies, ascending
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:53 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Qalyar wrote:

K'yarnak Nw'phlegethog
Lw'nafh Nw'nglui
Wgah'n Syha'hgrah'n
Hai'hupadgh
Cfm'latgh shugg!
Na'cf'htagn!
Cnnn'yar!
C'ilyaa!!

Umm . . . would you settle for a hearty "Ïa! Ïa!"?

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:53 am UTC

slinches wrote:
Primis wrote:Well, my GIF program has a delay, originally, it was set to '100' then upon a redditor's request I made it '10'. But that seems too fast. I've made a compromise at '45' now.

That's perfect. It's almost as if you channelled Lord Randall himself. The only way that could be better is with a slight delay on the text frames for readability, but then all should have studied the scripture of Time thoroughly enough that it isn't necessary.

That would be easy enough to do. Just set up the .gif with two or three copies of each text frame.
But then it migt not be able to auto-update...

deadpool809

Postby deadpool809 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:54 am UTC

Reka wrote:
deadpool809 wrote:I am wondering - the general assumption seems to be that Megan built the entire castle which was revealed after the pan-back.

But Cueball left first, and was gone for a while before she did.

Who is to say that he didn't start the second castle? Just because he said "Bye" doesn't mean he left the beach altogether. Maybe he was just letting her know that he was going "over there" for a bit.

Given his building speed (or rather, utter lack thereof) in the scenes where we do see him at work, I say it's highly unlikely that the second castle is Cueball's work. I think the "later/bye" scene contrasted with Megan just disappearing without so much as a word means exactly what it seems to mean: when Cueball left, he actually left, but when Megan "left", she just moved a few feet further inland... and proceeded to build another castle, at approximately the same speed as we had just seen her construct the first one.

As someone else pointed out, he did say "Later." She said "Bye!" I submit a perfectly logical reply given the scenario I presented. Megan not saying anything when she left to work on the second castle isn't inconsistent - once the second castle was started, there was no longer any need to verbally indicate she was moving to work on that structure. Their shared space had already expanded, and it would have been obvious to Cueball where she was going.

I'm not suggesting it was entirely his work - she clearly worked on it before we saw it. Perhaps he is just a little more ambitious than she is, even if he doesn't work as fast as she does.

I think a more suitable line for him, if he indeed actually left the beach, would have been "I'll be back later!" She showed absolutely no surprise at his return, and didn't greet him in any way, which suggests to me that he didn't actually leave her sight.

Cueball must have been the one to lay the foundation of the second castle... and I for one just can't give credit for his vision to another!!

As far as the names go, I think they are getting a little too clever. "Waiters" sounds nice to me!

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 am UTC

The strangest part of the straw poll is that apparently 52 people care enough to vote on it.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Lucia wrote:The strangest part of the straw poll is that apparently 52 people care enough to vote on it.

How so? Too high or too low? Anyway, it seems fitting that I would pick the only one with no other votes. :D / :cry:

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 am UTC

This is an awesome stat, thanks for including it.

HAL9000 wrote:

Not sure what you mean. At the time I type this, there are 1219 threads in this forum including a total of 154,295 posts - an average of about 126 per thread, meaning the average thread has about .08 percent (not 8 percent, but .08 percent) of the total posts in the forum. EDIT: nevermind, I misread your post. We are in agreement. :) But it's closer to 40 times the average, but that's of threads, I guess it gets smaller if you include comics that don't have threads dedicated to them.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Lucia wrote:The strangest part of the straw poll is that apparently 52 people care enough to vote on it.

out f the ~200 people currently int the thread, that's nt too terribly odd. we're Waiting; it helps to have distractions.

I should really turn ff my laptop and go to sleep now...
P.S. I am not Randall. I am an initiate of Time. All is measured by the passage of the Newpix.

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Right now this thread is tied with the religion thread for pages. That thread was made 4 years ago.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Fuck you.

EDIT: Wrong pic. But my point stands.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:01 am UTC

I need Food. Back in a newpic or two.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Ayriannah wrote:

out f the ~200 people currently int the thread, that's nt too terribly odd. we're Waiting; it helps to have distractions.

With spelling like that, it might be a good idea.

yangosplat
Location: Somewhere in the gray mass of clouds that is the Pacific Northwest

Postby yangosplat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:03 am UTC

So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

I've probably spent a good ten newpix trying to catch up on the posts on this thread.

I'm anticipating being ninja'd so not going to attempt to post the picture, but he flattened out the next tower :D
swey wrote:well when a mommy period and a daddy period fall in love, they can make whats known as a dot

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Helper wrote:Image
Fuck you.

I bet Cueball is making a bridge between the two castles.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It

Primis

Postby Primis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:03 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:

That would be easy enough to do. Just set up the .gif with two or three copies of each text frame.

I'll try it out with three copies of the dialogs for clarity. the auto-update wont be affected.
update:
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:03 am UTC

IMG.
Fuck you.

Impatience is blasphemy. Wait for it!

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:I bet Cueball is making a bridge between the two castles.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Oh, great, Cueball's constructing a bridge! That'll take centuries and still collapse when the little asswad is done.

...I feel like I shouldn't be quite so passionate about this...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Primis wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:

I'll try it out with three copies of the dialogs for clarity. the auto-update wont be affected.
update:
<snip>

Nice job! That's perfect!

Ayriannah

Postby Ayriannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:08 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Ayriannah wrote:

With spelling like that, it might be a good idea.

due to an incident involving toast, the 'O' key on my keyboard only presses 2/3 times.... usually I fix my typos... but sleep....

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:I bet Cueball is making a bridge between the two castles.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Oh, great, Cueball's constructing a bridge! That'll take centuries and still collapse when the little asswad is done.

...I feel like I shouldn't be quite so passionate about this...

I feel that might be a good idea. What did Cueball do to deserve such ire?
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:11 am UTC

the saddest part though is that i cant vote from my phone, but i would have voted for userisses just because im a fan of sibilants
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:11 am UTC

I wonder, have Cueball and Megan been at the beach all this time? How long is all this Time? Did they bring something to snack on?

Of course, if it's a coffee beach then the point is moot.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”