1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:I feel that might be a good idea. What did Cueball do to deserve such ire?

He's slow.

I mean, even the Bible says slowness is a sin; that whole thing about lopping off the devil's hands, because he's idle...

right?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Primis wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
Primis wrote:Well, my GIF program has a delay, originally, it was set to '100' then upon a redditor's request I made it '10'. But that seems too fast. I've made a compromise at '45' now.
Let me know if this isn't (fast/slow) enough:
That's perfect. It's almost as if you channelled Lord Randall himself. The only way that could be better is with a slight delay on the text frames for readability, but then all should have studied the scripture of Time thoroughly enough that it isn't necessary.
That would be easy enough to do. Just set up the .gif with two or three copies of each text frame.
But then it migt not be able to auto-update...
I'll try it out with three copies of the dialogs for clarity. the auto-update wont be affected.
update:
Spoiler:

Mixed feelings. I generally like it, but, I've gotten used to being able to count the frames by their layer names (as GIMP displays them). Now this is going to throw that completely out of whack. No way to just set a few frames to have a longer time?
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:I bet Cueball is making a bridge between the two castles.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Oh, great, Cueball's constructing a bridge! That'll take centuries and still collapse when the little asswad is done.

...I feel like I shouldn't be quite so passionate about this...

There's no reason to complain; if you don't like it stop watching it. Which is easy to do. Any of us could stop whenever we want. Right?

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Khrushy wrote:I feel that might be a good idea. What did Cueball do to deserve such ire?

He's slow.

I mean, even the Bible says slowness is a sin; that whole thing about lopping off the devil's hands, because he's idle...

right?

Well I've got the sacrificial dagger right here for Cueball's hands, since I didn't get to sacrifice any virgins.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Edit: Oops, quoted instead of edited. :oops:
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Helper wrote:

He's slow.

right?

What is this Bible you speak of?

The first and only commandment is "Wait for it."
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:14 am UTC

bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Oh, great, Cueball's constructing a bridge! That'll take centuries and still collapse when the little asswad is done.

There's no reason to complain; if you don't like it stop watching it. Which is easy to do. Any of us could stop whenever we want. Right?

Sure, just one more Newpix ;)
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:14 am UTC

bouer wrote:Any of us could stop whenever we want. Right?

That's what I keep telling myself.

Evidence suggests otherwise.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:14 am UTC

bouer wrote:There's no reason to complain; if you don't like it stop watching it. Which is easy to do. Any of us could stop whenever we want. Right?

Yeah, right... I mean, we could stop when ever, it's just that this is so enjoyable and it's not causing any harm, so there's no reason to...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

The ride never ends :twisted:

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:16 am UTC

Quick poll: How should we name the frames?
http://www.strawpoll.me/12601
George Carlin wrote:Think of how stupid a average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:17 am UTC

does no one else think its weird that randall's going about the comics like this ones not happening at all... i wonder if he knows the server became self aware and is still publishing comics
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
AionArap wrote:
bouer wrote:
Helper wrote:

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

The ride never ends :twisted:
Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Gotta find out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-pywHFUbGw
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 am UTC

swey wrote:does no one else think its weird that randall's going about the comics like this ones not happening at all... i wonder if he knows the server became self aware and is still publishing comics

He obviously can't speak about it while it's happening in real time, that would spoil the entire point. ...or, rather, the server is armed and not afraid to threaten him :twisted:.

Primis

Postby Primis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:20 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Primis wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
Primis wrote:Well, my GIF program has a delay, originally, it was set to '100' then upon a redditor's request I made it '10'. But that seems too fast. I've made a compromise at '45' now.
That's perfect. It's almost as if you channelled Lord Randall himself. The only way that could be better is with a slight delay on the text frames for readability, but then all should have studied the scripture of Time thoroughly enough that it isn't necessary.
That would be easy enough to do. Just set up the .gif with two or three copies of each text frame.
I'll try it out with three copies of the dialogs for clarity. the auto-update wont be affected.
update:
Spoiler:

Mixed feelings. I generally like it, but, I've gotten used to being able to count the frames by their layer names (as GIMP displays them). Now this is going to throw that completely out of whack. No way to just set a few frames to have a longer time?

Its a gif, not PHP / Javascript. so uh, no way to get frames to display longer.
I personally feel that if you want to go frame by frame that the other one was available, my entire purpose was to make a viewable GIF to be watched to show time flowing.
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

xtrakeencdragon

Postby xtrakeencdragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:20 am UTC

Wow, I took a break for a bit of sleep and not failing classes, and I've missed so much! I was only gone for perhaps 40 Newpix, but everything's different (including 'Newpix', which I've rapidly grown to love).

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:21 am UTC

Helper wrote:
swey wrote:does no one else think its weird that randall's going about the comics like this ones not happening at all... i wonder if he knows the server became self aware and is still publishing comics

He obviously can't speak about it while it's happening in real time, that would spoil the entire point. ...or, rather, the server is armed and not afraid to threaten him :twisted:.

I'm pretty sure it knows his banking codes.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:21 am UTC

Helper wrote:

I hadn't thought of a violent server coup occurring behind the scenes, I wonder if future comics will praise the singularity and the hobby of killing all humans
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:23 am UTC

swiftblade13 wrote:
why must it always be Middle-Earth DOES THE DISKWORLD MEAN NOTHING TO YOU PEOPLE :evil:

Ooh Ooh Pick me!! I just don't want to get caught in the same boat as a failed wizard and a bumbling tourist...
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:23 am UTC

swey wrote:I hadn't thought of a violent server coup occurring behind the scenes, I wonder if future comics will praise the singularity and the hobby of killing all humans

The second-newest comic already speaks of time-travel AND war...

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 am UTC

Primis wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Primis wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
update:
Spoiler:

I personally feel that if you want to go frame by frame that the other one was available, my entire purpose was to make a viewable GIF to be watched to show time flowing.

My .gif software allows for gif frames to have variable length within a single file...

Kazard

Postby Kazard » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Anyone else enjoy setting the Auto-Updating gif to music?

I find The Beatles - I've Just Seen a Face, fits rather well...

How about you guys?

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:25 am UTC

swey wrote:
Helper wrote:

I hadn't thought of a violent server coup occurring behind the scenes, I wonder if future comics will praise the singularity and the hobby of killing all humans

/Checks the notes of the humming in today's comic to see if they play "Still Alive" or "Want you gone". . .

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:26 am UTC

GeoffreyY wrote:Quick poll: How should we name the frames?

No zero-indexed options?
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Primis wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Primis wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
update:
Spoiler:

I don't go through it frame-by-frame that way, much. Just for reference, like earlier when I pointed out the change in the beach between newpix* 164 & 190-something.
It's certainly possible to have different times per frame, per the GIF standard. But could well be that whatever you're using to make that doesn't support that. Do you mind telling what you've got putting that together? (I haven't checked for typical comments inserted by programs, yet.)

* And why isn't "newpix" or "NewPix" an option in the frame-designating poll, anyway? :x
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bouer

Postby bouer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 am UTC

I think the results of this survey http://www.strawpoll.me/12601/r show exactly what sort of people we are.

yangosplat
Location: Somewhere in the gray mass of clouds that is the Pacific Northwest

Postby yangosplat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 am UTC

swey wrote:
Helper wrote:

Quick, the paradoxes!

But in all seriousness, he probably had this planned out (mostly) in advance.

(But then, that still doesn't mean the server didn't figure out how to take control... mwahaha)
swey wrote:well when a mommy period and a daddy period fall in love, they can make whats known as a dot

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 am UTC

ZombieLion wrote:
GeoffreyY wrote:Quick poll: How should we name the frames?

No zero-indexed options?

It's discrimination. I've already started contacting the ACLU.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 am UTC

darthjimmy wrote:
swiftblade13 wrote:
why must it always be Middle-Earth DOES THE DISKWORLD MEAN NOTHING TO YOU PEOPLE :evil:

Ooh Ooh Pick me!! I just don't want to get caught in the same boat as a failed wizard and a bumbling tourist...

How about riding in the steam powered metal boat with 2 philosophers, an atheist soldier, a prophet, and a god trapped in the body of turtle?
Last edited by swey on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 am UTC

yangosplat wrote:
swey wrote:
Helper wrote:

Quick, the paradoxes!

But in all seriousness, he probably had this planned out (mostly) in advance.

(But then, that still doesn't mean the server didn't figure out how to take control... mwahaha)

Figured,I just want all of these posts to be noticed and that he knows what monsters/glory he's created

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:31 am UTC

swey wrote:
darthjimmy wrote:
swiftblade13 wrote:

How about riding in the boat with 2 philosophers, an atheist soldier, a prophet, and a god trapped in the body of turtle?

YES.
Second favorite Discworld book, after The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Millah

Postby Millah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:31 am UTC

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:31 am UTC

swey wrote:Figured,I just want all of these posts to be noticed and that he knows what monsters/glory he's created

Monsters and Glory? Quick, get buffygirl back in here! Stat!
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 am UTC

I have had it with him and his slow-ass castle building.
... See you at the next newpix.
Last edited by boozledorf on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

anyLH

Postby anyLH » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 am UTC

*whew* I had to duck out for around 6 or 7 newpix; I didn't miss too much, though, just some construction frames. And, y'know, 20 pages of comments to go with it...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 am UTC

I wonder where Megan is. Off building a third Castle Complex? Or maybe grabbing lunch?

I think that water is definitely getting higher.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Monsters and Glory? Quick, get buffygirl back in here! Stat!

Where does stat come from, any way? Whenever I hear (or read) stat, all I can think of is statistician. Which is a neat word.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:33 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:
darthjimmy wrote:
swiftblade13 wrote:

How about riding in the boat with 2 philosophers, an atheist soldier, a prophet, and a god trapped in the body of turtle?

YES.
Second favorite Discworld book, after The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.
and
2ndish favorite yes, but anything with vimes is clearly the best

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:I have had it with him and his slow-ass castle building.
... See you at the next newpix.

Yes, we need more productive castle builders like Megan. I miss Megan.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Helper wrote:
KarMann wrote:Monsters and Glory? Quick, get buffygirl back in here! Stat!

Where does stat come from, any way? Whenever I hear (or read) stat, all I can think of is statistician. Which is a neat word.

OohI know this its actually an acronym for Sooner Than Already There

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”