1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

coachb05

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby coachb05 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:11 am UTC

I have a feeling that the building of the castle will continue from 48 to 96 more newpix. Then, whether it be wind, water, another element, or time, the sandcastles will erode to nothing. Then, like the genius Randall is, he will create a loop so it just starts building over again, taking inspiration from Men in Hats (tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your lives, fellow TimeWatchers - today we must dance for Randall's amusement).

I can't post URLs or have a sig yet, otherwise Men in Hats would have one, and I would currently be using this as my sig:
Helper wrote:People keep sigging me and I don't know how to feel about it. :oops: Although I suppose a sense of belongingness to a crazy cult religion is as good as any.
Helper wrote:People keep sigging me and I don't know how to feel about it. :oops: Although I suppose a sense of belongingness to a crazy cult religion is as good as any.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:12 am UTC

TessC wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
swey wrote:Trying to put an avatar on my profile but all i get isI image is 0 pixes high and 0. Pixels wide

Similar when I've tried to add a signature, it tells my my signature can't be more than 0 characters long.

You have to have at least 5 posts before you add a sig, for one thing. :)

Up to 22 thanks to this thread
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:13 am UTC

TessC wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
swey wrote:Trying to put an avatar on my profile but all i get isI image is 0 pixes high and 0. Pixels wide

Similar when I've tried to add a signature, it tells my my signature can't be more than 0 characters long.

You have to have at least 5 posts before you add a sig, for one thing. :)

Aha! Well, I believe this is my sixth... :P
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

yangosplat
Location: Somewhere in the gray mass of clouds that is the Pacific Northwest

Postby yangosplat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 am UTC

I'm half scared to venture into the other parts of the forum just because of my signature... "Oh, she's one of THOSE crazy people."
swey wrote:well when a mommy period and a daddy period fall in love, they can make whats known as a dot

coachb05

Postby coachb05 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:17 am UTC

Now I am going to bed as well, I figure I'll be missing 17 or 18 newpix. Y'all have a good night, and keep up the faith.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 am UTC

yangosplat wrote:I'm half scared to venture into the other parts of the forum just because of my signature... "Oh, she's one of THOSE crazy people."

I think everyone's in this thread anyway so all you'd see is a gif of tumbleweeds blowing across your screen and a MIDI of cfickets chirping
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 am UTC

And... supposedly I now have a signature? Let's see if it works...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:21 am UTC

Incognito357 wrote:As an aside, inspired by the images of pixel comparisons (but no program shared, and also no pixel comparisons for quite a few newpages), I have created a C# program for those interested that compares two images (from your comptuer) and saves the third with color changes (red = some pixel to white; blue = white to some pixel; magenta = pixel got lighter; lime green = pixel got darker;) (saves to the file path of last image loaded, with the file name consisting of the names of the two images being compared). I don't have any file hosting accounts, nor do I want to take the time to create one just for this, but if someone could host a download for it, I'd be grateful. Or if someone can give me a quick'n'dirty way to share the application, that'd be great too. IF anyone's interested. An update will likely allow customization of colors. A further update would be written in java (for those who are interested and not on windows), though I'm not sure how file-handling would work in an online applet... but we'll see.

*Bump*
I decided to stave off for a few more newpix and got a google-code page up. Here is the exe, and Here is the project homepage (if you want to look at the source). And finally, here is an image that depicts the differences between two adjacent frames:

now, alas, I shall coma. I am dreading trying to catch up tomorpix. I am likely going to miss anywhere from 48-toomany newpix, and I don't even want to think about how many newpages that will entail... :roll:
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:And... supposedly I now have a signature? Let's see if it works...

This was a triumph.
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:And... supposedly I now have a signature? Let's see if it works...

My favorite species of bird.. the eternity bird

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:25 am UTC

ZombieLion wrote:

This was a triumph.

swey wrote:My favorite species of bird.. the eternity bird

Many aspects of this experience have reminded me of that wonderful quote.

If each newpix denotes a visit from the eternity bird, how many eternities can Randall keep this up??? :)

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 am UTC

ZombieLion wrote:

This was a triumph.

Making a note here... huge success.
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:27 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
ZombieLion wrote:

This was a triumph.

swey wrote:My favorite species of bird.. the eternity bird

Many aspects of this experience have reminded me of that wonderful quote.

If each newpix denotes a visit from the eternity bird, how many eternities can Randall keep this up??? :)

as many tweets as can be tweeted from his what-if that used the eternity bird

yangosplat

Postby yangosplat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:31 am UTC

(edit: linked to main picture originally)

Not much going on now anyway.
Last edited by yangosplat on Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
swey wrote:well when a mommy period and a daddy period fall in love, they can make whats known as a dot

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:33 am UTC

Oh, maybe I should try adding a sig before I whine about not being able to do it. Meh. When I'm coherent.

Big block o' random replies, some from quite a few newpix ago:

mojacardave wrote:I'm pretty much with you on that. That's part of the reason I liked 'TimeFrames' - a simple pun to describe the advancement of the comic, rather than 'Newpix' - a made up word (with an x in it for coolness) to fit the 'new religion'.

Dracomax wrote:I'm almost positive the 'x' in "newpix" isn't an example of "poor literacy is kewl" but an example of abbreviation of "NEW PIXEL" Which derives from "PIcture ELement'

Nah. I'm not that sophisticated. "Newpix" wasn't meant to have anything to do with pixels, or new pages, or anything. It was just...

SWuh wrote:If we're splitting hairs, newpix came before this religion stuff (which I have been ignoring, I have to say). It was just a funny way of saying half-hours, is all. Well, that was what it started as.

Yup. We needed to keep time by half-hours instead of hours, because that's when the "new pics" happened, which I shortened, 'cuz I'm lazy. :mrgreen:

But holy crapioca. Newpix (along with a hundred other things in this thread) has become self-aware. Hell, I'm scared.

bouer wrote:
jello34543 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:If it weren't for the likes of Aubron Wood and such here, I wouldn't be able to follow this comic at all. I already can't follow this thread properly.

No one can follow this thread properly. That's part of the fun.

I have read every single post. It is perfectly possible to follow the thread properly, just not possible to do anything else properly while doing so.

Yes. I have read every blankety-blank post in this thread. It's doable- it requires coffee, insanity, and a large helping of self-loathing.

Lucia wrote:When I read through the religion part of the thread last night I was seeing so many quotes in people's sigs ahead of time. It was always fun coming across the original source of each quote.

Me too. I was trying to keep track of all the "future quotes" but I lost count.

xtrakeencdragon wrote:Wow, I took a break for a bit of sleep and not failing classes, and I've missed so much! I was only gone for perhaps 40 Newpix, but everything's different (including 'Newpix', which I've rapidly grown to love).

:mrgreen:
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Black Hat Guy

Postby Black Hat Guy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:34 am UTC

swey wrote:

My favorite species of bird.. the eternity bird

I like time vultures.
Wait... TIME vultures... :shock:
Now I like time vultures even more.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better . . . stronger . . . well, maybe not faster.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:34 am UTC

Yep, that was my last newpic, I have to be up in 8 newpix so its time to coma for me, have a goodnight fellow Initiates

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 am UTC

yangosplat wrote:

Not much? Cueball is starting a new tower! There have been a dozen or so frames we've needed sub pixel analysis to find the changes. Be thankful of what you have waited for and as the One True Comic demands, Wait for it.

yangosplat

Postby yangosplat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Too many people going to coma! If I were to log off now (which I would never do) it would still take me at least 3 or 4 newpix to finish my homework. Oh sandcastles, why do you do this to me?!

slinches wrote:
yangosplat wrote:

Not much? Cueball is starting a new tower! There have been a dozen or so frames we've needed sub pixel analysis to find the changes. Be thankful of what you have waited for and as the One True Comic demands, Wait for it.

*bows down humbly to the will of the One True Comic*

But Cueball is going to end up taking as long to build his next tower... and then the bridge that will eventually result... (I would admit that I'm grumpy and tired, but I have forgotten the meaning of the word).

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:43 am UTC

You know what I just realized? Since THE MADNESS was delayed, this (all of it) must be sanity. :?
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 am UTC

The whole religion thing is a massive case of misplaced attention. When you get down to it, Time is just a slow motion series of moving black and white pixels that we interpret as Megan and Cueball building a sandcastle. All of its importance comes from the anticipation, the predictions, and above all the community. We should treat Time as merely the basis of a life philosophy, the bizarreness, the fun, the acceptable obsession, a grand adventure together through a small piece of Randall's mind. Spiritual, perhaps, but no religion.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 am UTC

I just can't stop wondering what's going on in the thread, its almost as addictive as the comic but with more randomness involved

Tometheus

Postby Tometheus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:47 am UTC

Tometheus wrote:Great. All of this discussion of Discworld is surely going to attract the attention of the Auditors.

BTW: that was an attempt at an allusion to Thief of Time for those who are unfamiliar with Discworld and/or don't live in my head.

(Remember Tom, the Randalls can't hear the conversions in your head.)

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:49 am UTC

Tometheus wrote:
Tometheus wrote:Great. All of this discussion of Discworld is surely going to attract the attention of the Auditors.

BTW: that was an attempt at an allusion to Thief of Time for those who are unfamiliar with Discworld and/or don't live in my head.

you may have missed it but i got yours and mentioned we'd be safe with paradoxes similar to ojr defense from sentient and violent ai

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:49 am UTC

A few things I've wondered while all of this has transpired:

1. Do you suppose any of the commentators here are Randall incognito? (I believe this might have been raised earlier)

2. Does this discussion board remind anybody of #1167?

3. Some of you have mentioned following this in between homework or work etc. Who here is doing the most exciting multitasking? I for one tonight have mostly been doing homework for my business strategy class and making maps (I'm a cartographer professionally). Currently working on a map of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:52 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:A few things I've wondered while all of this has transpired:

1. Do you suppose any of the commentators here are Randall incognito? (I believe this might have been raised earlier)

2. Does this discussion board remind anybody of #1167?

3. Some of you have mentioned following this in between homework or work etc. Who here is doing the most exciting multitasking? I for one tonight have mostly been doing homework for my business strategy class and making maps (I'm a cartographer professionally). Currently working on a map of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

I was doing work as well but I'm a chef so it was harder to multitask and keep track especially with greasy fingers on my phone
also...they should have sent a poet

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:55 am UTC

I'm commenting and eating ramen noodles at the same time. Not doing either very well. That's about as multi-task as I get. :lol:

Tometheus

Postby Tometheus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:56 am UTC

swey wrote:
Tometheus wrote:

you may have missed it but i got yours and mentioned we'd be safe with paradoxes similar to ojr defense from sentient and violent ai

I figured you got it, I was just trying to let others in on the reference and pretend it was on topic. :D

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 am UTC

I vote we have a schism from the religion started earlier just so we can hit. 5000 posts before those guys get back and claim this thread as our own

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Tometheus wrote:
swey wrote:
Tometheus wrote:

I figured you got it, I was just trying to let others in on the reference and pretend it was on topic. :D

Haha I understand, I've been wondering if there is any lengths of off ttopic ness that is not allowed in this thread, after all we have to fill the .06 Newpix between each newpix

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:58 am UTC

swey wrote:I vote we have a schism from the religion started earlier just so we can hit. 5000 posts before those guys get back and claim this thread as our own

That's funny, I was just about to say "50 'til 5000". But deeply entrenched religions (hell, it was started yesterday- early yesterday) can't be brought down that easily.

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:00 am UTC

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:01 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
swey wrote:I vote we have a schism from the religion started earlier just so we can hit. 5000 posts before those guys get back and claim this thread as our own

That's funny, I was just about to say "50 'til 5000". But deeply entrenched religions (hell, it was started yesterday- early yesterday) can't be brought down that easily.

ah yes, but ours was just started 30 seconds ago, we are the up and comers, the underdog if you will, I choose to worship the castle itself instead of time or the builders, the castle was always there we just wweren't enlightened enough to be aware of it

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:03 am UTC

I read through everything a while back, but I'm bleary- where's Megan now?

Tova

Postby Tova » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 am UTC

Watching is thread is what I imagine it might have been like attending the first performance of Cage 4'33"...

johndda

Postby johndda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 am UTC

What if Randall is just a HUGE Game of Thrones fan and decided he'd make a sand-castle Westeros in honor of the 3rd season? Makes sense to start a week ahead.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 am UTC

Um... did it actually change??? Looks the same to me.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:I read through everything a while back, but I'm bleary- where's Megan now?

Most likely off frame building again, there was no text as far as goodbyes went so that's all we can assume

i mean enlightening us to the great castle on the sand, of the sand, by the sand, and for the sand

TessC

Postby TessC » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:07 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:

I think we need a Church of the Eternally Growing Castle. We keep pulling back and finding more castle... clearly this is just the beginning of time's arrow, and we will keep finding more castle for the rest of time. Sure, there's not enough evidence to prove that -- but that's why faith is so very important.

The castle is already fantastic, but what is is the was of what will be. Thus the Eternal Castle.
They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. -- Andy Warhol

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:08 am UTC

swey wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:

ah yes, but ours was just started 30 seconds ago, we are the up and comers, the underdog if you will, I choose to worship the castle itself instead of time or the builders, the castle was always there we just wweren't enlightened enough to be aware of it

Join me in my life philosophy approach.
We shall have in-jokes and love everyone on this thread. Also apple pie made with bananas and nutella.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”