1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheMulattoMaker

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:35 am UTC

ERMAHFERKINGERD FIVE FERKIN THOUSAND

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:36 am UTC

Well at least I can breathe again now and get back to finishing this map of Sao Paulo...

Good thing I don't sleep...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:37 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:ERMAHFERKINGERD FIVE FERKIN THOUSAND

Such darkness followed by such elation, this has been a roller coaster newpix
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:37 am UTC

NotAllThere wrote:Reviving a post from 63:30 - because the same thought just occurred to me.

lovepirate wrote:Anyone else feel like in the end we'll see sand letters that spell out B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E?

Wait for it.

Or A-P-R-I-L---F-O-O-L
or L-E-G-E-N-D-A-R-Y

Nope. It's gonna spell out N-E-W-P-I-X :mrgreen:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:37 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
AionArap wrote:I may have some baby goats, if that helps?
Baby goats are the most adorable things ever!!!
Now... back to panicking...

You have got to be kidding.

Not at all. Seriously, my neighbors had baby goats, and they were super playful and loyal. Like puppies. They are great pets until they grow up and eat all of your stuff.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:38 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:Reviving a post from 63:30 - because the same thought just occurred to me.

lovepirate wrote:Anyone else feel like in the end we'll see sand letters that spell out B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E?

Wait for it.

Or A-P-R-I-L---F-O-O-L
or L-E-G-E-N-D-A-R-Y

Would totally shit a brick at the inception/self awareness
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:38 am UTC

yangosplat wrote:http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png

Not much going on now anyway.

This is why we "didn't get an update". Bastard :P
blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:39 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

Not at all. Seriously, my neighbors had baby goats, and they were super playful and loyal. Like puppies. They are great pets until they grow up and eat all of your stuff.

Perfect for the sacrificial altar then :)

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:39 am UTC

swey wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:

Wait for it.

Or A-P-R-I-L---F-O-O-L
or L-E-G-E-N-D-A-R-Y

Would totally shit a brick at the inception/self awareness

I'd just see it as proof that Randall was reading the thread.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:39 am UTC

I've got a feeling this is gonna be a long day. Oh, wait...
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

embracethehate

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:39 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

I see what you did there.

Well maybe. If that's what you meant to do.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:40 am UTC

AionArap wrote:I've got a feeling this is gonna be a long day. Oh, wait...

For.....it.....

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:41 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

Oh yes, same here, helped take care of some on the other side of the road, got to watch mama goat eat the afterbirth after giving birth to a pair of kids, etc. I was just going for the cheap pun there, was all.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kodama

Postby kodama » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:41 am UTC

I'm sorry I've just registered to tell that I'm quiet surprised that no one here thought about the possibility that he was waiting for the new season of "game of thrones"...
At the rate he seems to build his sand castle, I assume he will finish by the time of the first episode.

... No?
... sorry for my bad english skills, I'm a foreigner.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:43 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

I see what you did there.

Well maybe. If that's what you meant to do.

Bahahahahaha. I get it.

Sometimes you just need to wait for it...

gardn

Postby gardn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:43 am UTC

I think cueball's doing something important. He is connecting two castles!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 am UTC

swey wrote:

For.....it.....

Indeed.

*Checks calendar* Yup, a looong day indeed.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
swey wrote:

For.....it.....

Indeed.

*Checks calendar* Yup, a looong day indeed.

Or the bakers dozepix. 48*30 1440....or...whatever..

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:So, now the question is: was that just a random error that one of them got missed, or did cueball just not move (highly unlikely in my opinion), or has the time now extended to an hour between newpix releases?

8 Minutes till we find out...or grayish newpix

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 am UTC

coachb05 wrote:I have a feeling that the building of the castle will continue from 48 to 96 more newpix. Then, whether it be wind, water, another element, or time, the sandcastles will erode to nothing. Then, like the genius Randall is, he will create a loop so it just starts building over again, taking inspiration from Men in Hats (tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your lives, fellow TimeWatchers - today we must dance for Randall's amusement).

I can't post URLs or have a sig yet, otherwise Men in Hats would have one, and I would currently be using this as my sig:
Helper wrote:People keep sigging me and I don't know how to feel about it. :oops: Although I suppose a sense of belongingness to a crazy cult religion is as good as any.

I like this idea, but it'd be cool with different sandcastles built (random variation even). Time isn't circular, but keeps on going, but we keep building things anyway.
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 am UTC

FWIW, I got updates through a couple of channels at . . . umm, 6 newpix since FNC, 0 newpix UTC, whatever you want to call it. Maybe another problem on some servers, but not others. I'll put it here along with the ones before and after, hidden by spoiler, so you can check if you've seen all three, and what the difference is.
Spoiler:
5 np FNC:

6 np FNC:

7 np FNC:

Added: I may have misremembered the abbreviation and/or name. What is it for the First or New Comic times? I'll go see if it's on the wiki. Anyway, what those translate to is 6:30, 7:00, and 7:30 UTC, respectively, in Outside time.
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:59 am UTC

swey wrote:
kenmelken wrote:So, now the question is: was that just a random error that one of them got missed, or did cueball just not move (highly unlikely in my opinion), or has the time now extended to an hour between newpix releases?

Ready for the moment of truth?

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 am UTC

Phew.

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:00 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:This community has created a situation in which asking someone if they want semen with their caffeinated drink actually makes sense.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:01 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
swey wrote:

Ready for the moment of truth?

We are back on track fellow initiates!

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:02 am UTC

KarMann wrote:FWIW, I got updates through a couple of channels at . . . umm, 6 newpix since FNC, 0 newpix UTC, whatever you want to call it. Maybe another problem on some servers, but not others. I'll put it here along with the ones before and after, hidden by spoiler, so you can check if you've seen all three, and what the difference is.
Spoiler:
5 np FNC:

6 np FNC:

7 np FNC:

I think that means we're still missing the one from 3 am.

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:A few things I've wondered while all of this has transpired:

1. Do you suppose any of the commentators here are Randall incognito? (I believe this might have been raised earlier)

2. Does this discussion board remind anybody of #1167?

3. Some of you have mentioned following this in between homework or work etc. Who here is doing the most exciting multitasking? I for one tonight have mostly been doing homework for my business strategy class and making maps (I'm a cartographer professionally). Currently working on a map of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

A cartographer! Huzzah! I'm a geographer. Well, a student one at least. Just finished a paper, and working on two GIS labs, a research proposal, and like three final projects (yay last month of term). It's 4am local time for me here, and I'm about to quit being semiconscious-in-front-of-a-computer for some undefined number of newpix.
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 am UTC

Ok, i think we can put the coffee theories/speculations to rest now, progress is waaay to slow for that.

BA-DA-BING!!!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 am UTC

swey wrote:
KarMann wrote:FWIW, I got updates through a couple of channels at . . . umm, 6 newpix since FNC, 0 newpix UTC, whatever you want to call it. Maybe another problem on some servers, but not others. I'll put it here along with the ones before and after, hidden by spoiler, so you can check if you've seen all three, and what the difference is.
Spoiler:
5 np FNC:

6 np FNC:

7 np FNC:

Which 3 AM? What I do know is, I have a steady stream of the last 9 newpix, since the Long Newpix back then.

Added: The middle one there, 6 np FNC, would be 3 AM EDT.
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:06 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
swey wrote:
Spoiler:
5 np FNC:

6 np FNC:

7 np FNC:

Which 3 AM? What I do know is, I have a steady stream of the last 9 newpix, since the Long Newpix back then.

3 Am eastern, iI'm not familiar with UTC and I forgot to check before I started making this comment

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Spoiler:
5 np FNC:

6 np FNC:

7 np FNC:

Added: I may have misremembered the abbreviation and/or name. What is it for the First or New Comic times? I'll go see if it's on the wiki. Anyway, what those translate to is 6:30, 7:00, and 7:30 UTC, respectively, in Outside time.

I think your times are correct. I was beginning to wonder if I had imagined the 7:00 UTC update. Nice to see someone else confirm what little sanity I have left.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:08 am UTC

removed, sorry my phone acts nuts when iI edit
Last edited by swey on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:09 am UTC

swey wrote:
KarMann wrote:
swey wrote:
Spoiler:
5 np FNC:

6 np FNC:

7 np FNC:
3 Am eastern, iI'm not familiar with UTC and I forgot to check before I started making this comment

Then that should have been that one, indeed. UTC is pretty much the same as what was called GMT, Greenwich Mean Time, if that helps. Also sometimes called Zulu Time. Five hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time, four hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:09 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:
kenmelken wrote:A few things I've wondered while all of this has transpired:

1. Do you suppose any of the commentators here are Randall incognito? (I believe this might have been raised earlier)

2. Does this discussion board remind anybody of #1167?

3. Some of you have mentioned following this in between homework or work etc. Who here is doing the most exciting multitasking? I for one tonight have mostly been doing homework for my business strategy class and making maps (I'm a cartographer professionally). Currently working on a map of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

A cartographer! Huzzah! I'm a geographer. Well, a student one at least. Just finished a paper, and working on two GIS labs, a research proposal, and like three final projects (yay last month of term). It's 4am local time for me here, and I'm about to quit being semiconscious-in-front-of-a-computer for some undefined number of newpix.

So, as a fellow geography nerd, I'm guessing comic #977 is one of your favorites also? And which projection is your personality?

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 am UTC

Ooo, I missed some excitement!
I wonder what is happening off to the left now...
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 am UTC

Oh me yarm, I wake up and there are 38 new pages :o Just spent two newpix to skim over the replies, respect to those who spend many more NPs to read them all!

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 am UTC

@KarMan, between 6.And 7there's one missing

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:14 am UTC

KarMann wrote:P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.

Forgive me, but I have to ask.
Just exactly how Randall are you?

BA-DA-BING!!!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:A cartographer! Huzzah! I'm a geographer. Well, a student one at least. Just finished a paper, and working on two GIS labs, a research proposal, and like three final projects (yay last month of term). It's 4am local time for me here, and I'm about to quit being semiconscious-in-front-of-a-computer for some undefined number of newpix.
So, as a fellow geography nerd, I'm guessing comic #977 is one of your favorites also? And which projection is your personality?

For my part, of those choices (and if I'm not allowed the globe), Goode Homolosine. And I can't help noticing how the Hobo-Dyer description relates to the much earlier discussion of gender-neutral pronouns. :lol:
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 am UTC

swey wrote:@KarMan, between 6.And 7there's one missing

How so? That'd be 6.5 newpix and we know that new Time Frames only occur on whole newpix.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”