1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

swey

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
KarMann wrote:P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.

Forgive me, but I have to ask.
Just exactly how Randall are you?

Are there degrees of Randalicitness that have to be fulfilled to be the True Randall?
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 am UTC

swey wrote:@KarMan, between 6.And 7there's one missing

I believe the missing one was the 7am one.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:18 am UTC

Coma'd for 14 newpix, awoke to 16 pages which has taken a further 2.6 newpix to catch up on... I shall now vacate my comaquarter and fix myself a nice mug of non-ensemenated caffeine concoction, just in time for the next newpic's publication!
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:18 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:A cartographer! Huzzah! I'm a geographer. Well, a student one at least. Just finished a paper, and working on two GIS labs, a research proposal, and like three final projects (yay last month of term). It's 4am local time for me here, and I'm about to quit being semiconscious-in-front-of-a-computer for some undefined number of newpix.
So, as a fellow geography nerd, I'm guessing comic #977 is one of your favorites also? And which projection is your personality?

For my part, of those choices (and if I'm not allowed the globe), Goode Homolosine. And I can't help noticing how the Hobo-Dyer description relates to the much earlier discussion of gender-neutral pronouns. :lol:

Well, now we've verified that you can't be THAT Randall, or you would've picked the Waterman. ;)

I for one have a framed reproduction of the 1909 Cahill map it's based on...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:19 am UTC

AionArap wrote:

At risk of dupe post:
I usually go by "Randy", so you have to be very careful how you phrase that question. :twisted:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am UTC

swey wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Are there degrees of Randalicitness that have to be fulfilled to be the True Randall?

Just curious :P
And +1 for Randalicitness
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am UTC

slinches wrote:

How so? That'd be 6.5 newpix and we know that new Time Frames only occur on whole newpix.

The. 6 Newpix occured at 230, but the 7th didnt occur till 330 it was the darkest newpix yet
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:21 am UTC

AionArap wrote:

I believe the missing one was the 7am one.

I was counting in newpix since the newest comic, though, i.e. since, umm, 4 AM UTC. So, 7 AM UTC would be 6 np there.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Gil-Galad

Postby Gil-Galad » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 am UTC

She COUGHED, played it down and now he is building the castle ALONE!!!

I fear Randall is painting his Life and this is the time where she got sick :|

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:A cartographer! Huzzah! I'm a geographer. Well, a student one at least. Just finished a paper, and working on two GIS labs, a research proposal, and like three final projects (yay last month of term). It's 4am local time for me here, and I'm about to quit being semiconscious-in-front-of-a-computer for some undefined number of newpix.
So, as a fellow geography nerd, I'm guessing comic #977 is one of your favorites also? And which projection is your personality?

For my part, of those choices (and if I'm not allowed the globe), Goode Homolosine. And I can't help noticing how the Hobo-Dyer description relates to the much earlier discussion of gender-neutral pronouns. :lol:
Well, now we've verified that you can't be THAT Randall, or you would've picked the Waterman. ;)
I for one have a framed reproduction of the 1909 Cahill map it's based on...

Really? What are you doing tonight?
. . . oh, yeah, waiting for it.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
AionArap wrote:

At risk of dupe post:
I usually go by "Randy", so you have to be very careful how you phrase that question. :twisted:

I figured as much :lol:

And i meant 7am UTC btw

BA-DA-BING!!!

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:24 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
swey wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Wanted to SIG this but my phone absolutely hates this comment box, it goes bananas while I backspace and skips around and just generally loses its mind so I'll have to SIG it later

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am UTC

swey wrote:
AionArap wrote:
swey wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Wanted to SIG this but my phone absolutely hates this comment box, it goes bananas while I backspace and skips around and just generally loses its mind so I'll have to SIG it later

Well, I hope you're not too SAUER about it.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 am UTC

slinches wrote:
swey wrote:
AionArap wrote:
swey wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Well, I hope you're not too SAUER about it.

Clever, so very very clever haha

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 am UTC

Found it! New Daily Pic, NDP, is what I really meant. Now, is the time of NDP* considered 1 np NDP, or 0 np NDP? I was assuming it's 0 in my times above.

* 21:00 my MST, 0:00 EDT, 4:00 UTC/GMT
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 am UTC

He's finally fixing that turret!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:31 am UTC

Cueball is SO slow... Made it to my home office just in time for the dong (as SWuh likes to call it) and he's done bugger all!

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:31 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:He's finally fixing that turret!

its like he's reading it right with us, I know that was bothering you ken, does it feel good to have the prayers of pigeons answered?

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:33 am UTC

swey wrote:
kenmelken wrote:He's finally fixing that turret!

its like he's reading it right with us, I know that was bothering you ken, does it feel good to have the prayers of pigeons answered?

We have maintained since very early in the saga that things keep happening that are too much of a coincidence. Going swimming, adding flags, fixing specific turrets, etc... I know you're watching me Randall! I CAN SEE YOU!!! :shock:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:33 am UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:Cueball! Why is the tower to your right, our left, not crenelated? How are your archers supposed to defend that wall? Fix it, Cueball!

Well, I hope you're happy now.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Found it! New Daily Pic, NDP, is what I really meant. Now, is the time of NDP* considered 1 np NDP, or 0 np NDP? I was assuming it's 0 in my times above.

I am way too tired to understand that, but I have to say New Daily Pic? that doesntdoesn't convey 48 newpixs newpixies very well to me

and sorry Ken i thought you were the one who commented on the turret but it waMulatto

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 am UTC

Grepus wrote:Cueball is SO slow... Made it to my home office just in time for the dong (as SWuh likes to call it) and he's done bugger all!

He is frustratingly slow. made even slower by my tea induced humming bird like status at the moment.

Where is SWuh anyway? think her boyfriend finally gave up and turned off the PC?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:39 am UTC

swey wrote:
KarMann wrote:Found it! New Daily Pic, NDP, is what I really meant. Now, is the time of NDP* considered 1 np NDP, or 0 np NDP? I was assuming it's 0 in my times above.
I am way too tired to understand that, but I have to say New Daily Pic? that doesntdoesn't convey 48 newpixs newpixies very well to me

NDP isn't a quantity of Time; it's a point in Time. When a new comic is posted, at that time I footnoted above. I think it was never resolved whether it reset to zero every day, or only on days with actual new comics. But either way, 9 np ago was definitely an NDP point, with the debut of #1192.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:42 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
Grepus wrote:Cueball is SO slow... Made it to my home office just in time for the dong (as SWuh likes to call it) and he's done bugger all!

He is frustratingly slow. made even slower by my tea induced humming bird like status at the moment.

Where is SWuh anyway? think her boyfriend finally gave up and turned off the PC?

Good morning to you. Re: SWuh... I think the boyfriend may have smashed the router in order to get SOME sort of attention.

My kids arrive in 24 newpix time (on a flight from the UK with their stepmum) and I will be bowing out (just so you don't think I died or something) to enjoy my easter with them (I've not seen them for 10128 newpix, approximately). Still, there's plenty of frames between now and then!

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
swey wrote:

NDP isn't a quantity of Time; it's a point in Time. When a new comic is posted, at that time I footnoted above. I think it was never resolved whether it reset to zero every day, or only on days with actual new comics. But either way, 9 np ago was definitely an NDP point, with the debut of #1192.

Ah gotcha, but have we figured out if there was missing comic or not?

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:Where is SWuh anyway? think her boyfriend finally gave up and turned off the PC?

I happened to notice that she posted right under the newpix post when I was looking for NDP info.
SWuh wrote:I have real life holidays to pack for/houses to view/meetings to hold now, so I will be back when I am back. I could be as long as 48newpix. Which is a scary thought! But thanks to Aubron, I should be OK :)

So, that explains that, at least.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

J L

Postby J L » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 am UTC

I must say I'm very happy to find my prediction from the "happiness period" (that it was only the beginning) confirmed. I gave up following this thread (feeling a bit like pfhorrest about it), but I also wanted to thank everybody for their awesome work of organizing and documenting this event so people like me are still able to partake. Seriously, you did great.

And I'd like to suggest another end of comic theory: A slow zoom-out like the one in Powers of Ten.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 am UTC

swey wrote:

and sorry Ken i thought you were the one who commented on the turret but it waMulatto

I absolve you.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 am UTC

2 Things, firstly i have switched to mobile chrome to alleviate ther tantrum inducing craziness in the text box and have found good results for now, and also the comic is more enjoyable to me after ive waited a few hours and can catch up on a lump sum of frames, but the forum is just too good to give uup so thank you guys and gals for making me eager to receive the next newpix

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 am UTC

The 2:30 update (as shown in this thread) was pre-mature. It's the same as the current one (4:30). But the animation at aubronwood looks to be continuous, with a different picture for 2:30, one that I remember seeing. So maybe at 2:30 the wrong one was posted but it was quickly corrected (in time for auboronwood to pick up the correct one). Times EDT to be consistent with previous posts.
Last edited by spamjam on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:
kenmelken wrote:A few things I've wondered while all of this has transpired:

1. Do you suppose any of the commentators here are Randall incognito? (I believe this might have been raised earlier)

2. Does this discussion board remind anybody of #1167?

3. Some of you have mentioned following this in between homework or work etc. Who here is doing the most exciting multitasking? I for one tonight have mostly been doing homework for my business strategy class and making maps (I'm a cartographer professionally). Currently working on a map of Sao Paulo, Brazil.

A cartographer! Huzzah! I'm a geographer. Well, a student one at least. Just finished a paper, and working on two GIS labs, a research proposal, and like three final projects (yay last month of term). It's 4am local time for me here, and I'm about to quit being semiconscious-in-front-of-a-computer for some undefined number of newpix.

I've been thinking on how to hide that comic's link in my class I teach, so my students can find it. Maybe as an extra-credit activity or something. Or perhaps I should just open up next semester with it in my online welcome message. (Yes, I quite enjoy that comic.)
Hrm. Probably Goode Homolosine. (Though I admit, when I was at a Buckminster Fuller exhibit in some museum and there was a Dymaxion map... geekness ensued. But by description in the comic, Goode Homolosine.)
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
swey wrote:

I absolve you.

Ten hail Randalls and 5 Our Times and my absolution shall be solidified

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:51 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:I've been thinking on how to hide that comic's link in my class I teach, so my students can find it. Maybe as an extra-credit activity or something. Or perhaps I should just open up next semester with it in my online welcome message. (Yes, I quite enjoy that comic.)
Hrm. Probably Goode Homolosine. (Though I admit, when I was at a Buckminster Fuller exhibit in some museum and there was a Dymaxion map... geekness ensued. But by description in the comic, Goode Homolosine.)

High five, fellow Goode Homolosine! :D
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

swey

Postby swey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:52 am UTC

spamjam wrote:The 2:30 update (as shown in this thread) was pre-mature. It's the same as the current one (4:30). But the animation at aubronwood looks to be continuous, with a different picture for 2:30, one that I remember seeing. So maybe at 2:30 the wrong one was posted but it was quickly corrected (in time for auboronwood to pick up the correct one). Times EDT to be consistent with previous posts.

That makes sense, thank you

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:56 am UTC

swey wrote:
spamjam wrote:The 2:30 update (as shown in this thread) was pre-mature. It's the same as the current one (4:30). But the animation at aubronwood looks to be continuous, with a different picture for 2:30, one that I remember seeing. So maybe at 2:30 the wrong one was posted but it was quickly corrected (in time for auboronwood to pick up the correct one). Times EDT to be consistent with previous posts.

That makes sense, thank you

The missing picture (in this thread) has Cueball standing between the two towers, facing left, working on a pile of sand.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:57 am UTC

Something I've not read about... but you can no longer get the hashed URL from xkcd.com/1190/ - it now points to imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png - how do we link to the latest frame without it updating the next newpic?

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 am UTC

I predict next he puts the flags back.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:02 am UTC

It looks like Cueball's head is the sun setting behind the (now fully unified) castle. Beautiful!

Edit: since no one else has ...
Last edited by slinches on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

Oh, Waterman is who we really need in this thread.

Not long enough.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:07 am UTC

I'm kind of hoping he will next put the flags up, then leave the frame again just in time for another pull back so we can see yet ANOTHER bigger castle built to the left by Megan.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”