1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Grepus wrote:Something I've not read about... but you can no longer get the hashed URL from xkcd.com/1190/ - it now points to imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png - how do we link to the latest frame without it updating the next newpic?

If you go to GET time.png directly, you get a couple of HTTP redirects (first a 301, which gets you to a 302) which end up GETting the image with the 64 character filename. If it's in a browser window that's been open past a newpix, then JavaScript gets the information off of other servers, and goes straight for the big name after that.

Added: Here's a sample; this is the intermediate step, which should always get you the newest hash. http://c.xkcd.com/redirect/comic/time Notice how after you click it, the URL changes to one on imgs.xkcd.com, and then (I hadn't noticed this when I wrote the above) to one on https://sslimgs.xkcd.com.
Further added: Ah, I think that last HTTPS redirect is probably done by a browser extension I use, HTTPS Everywhere. So, you probably won't see that yourself, if you do that.
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Sedasa

Postby Sedasa » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:14 am UTC

I wonder if he is crouched down, peering over the wall, or laying back against the wall and staring at the sky. Maybe even taking a bit of a nap while Megan continues to build off to the left.
peewee_RotA wrote:Epic Weirdness be a requirement for being the pope.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:22 am UTC

Well, I'm gonna hang around until the next newpix, and then I'm peacing out for the night, since at that point it will be 3:30 AM here and I need to be up in about 9 newpix to get even more work done.

Been fun tonight though.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Sedasa wrote:I wonder if he is crouched down, peering over the wall, or laying back against the wall and staring at the sky. Maybe even taking a bit of a nap while Megan continues to build off to the left.

Oh, the perils of having an approximately rotationally symmetric head.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 am UTC

I reckon he's having a cheeky leak behind the castle. He's been going for 4 days and after all a mans gotta go when a mans gotta go.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:30 am UTC

Is he lying down for a nap?
I was sure I had an account here before... Ho hum, it's lost in Time now...

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:31 am UTC

I still contend that he's bending down to pick the flags back up. But I guess I won't know for 9 or so more newpix, for I am off to bed. Good night, everyone!

Don't die.

Be good.

And if you can't be good, have fun.

EDIT: Wow. Making it auto-substitute the word tin for C-A-N is really weird, albeit a delightful pun.
Last edited by kenmelken on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 am UTC

I think he's digging behind the castle to get some sand/whateveritis, he has to get it from somewhere.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

squonk

Postby squonk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 am UTC

While you people have been wasting your time here, I have been reading The Other Comics, and have made a startling discovery: the woman in this comic is NOT named Megan! Her name is MEEEEEE.

Please get it right going forward.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 am UTC

squonk wrote:While you people have been wasting your time here, I have been reading The Other Comics, and have made a startling discovery: the woman in this comic is NOT named Megan! Her name is MEEEEEE.

Actually MEEEEEE is her stage name as a singer, her real name is clearly "I hacked the audio fingerprint database".
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:And if you tin't be good, have fun.
EDIT: Wow. Making it auto-substitute the word tin for C-A-N is really weird, albeit a delightful pun.

I was really wondering about that, when I saw someone else's "tin" above. I assumed it was just a rather unusual typo. Do you mean the BB here does the subbing? Let's see: can it change this one? Yes it can, even in preview!
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

I was really wondering about that, when I saw someone else's "tin" above. I assumed it was just a rather unusual typo. Do you mean the BB here does the subbing? Let's see: tin it change this one? Yes it tin, even in preview!

I believe it also turns O-M-G into: Oh me yarm

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:47 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:I reckon he's having a cheeky leak behind the castle. He's been going for 4 days and after all a mans gotta go when a mans gotta go.

Maybe that's how the sand gets its unusual structural properties?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

kodama

Postby kodama » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 am UTC

I'm surprised that nobody had the idea that maybe he was waiting for the new season of "game of thrones".. by building a castle on the beach.

squonk

Postby squonk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
KarMann wrote:

I was really wondering about that, when I saw someone else's "tin" above. I assumed it was just a rather unusual typo. Do you mean the BB here does the subbing? Let's see: tin it change this one? Yes it tin, even in preview!

I believe it also turns O-M-G into: Gee Willikers

OMG

Works fine for me!

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Another bridge?
Last edited by udscbt on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Darkfusion

Postby Darkfusion » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Archways coming up?

Sappharos

Postby Sappharos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Grepus wrote:Archways coming up?

Looked like a curvy arrow to me but yes I think it's an archway.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 am UTC

squonk wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
KarMann wrote:
OMG
Works fine for me!

No, without spaces, like so: ОМG. Now I'll let y'all try to puzzle that out. :twisted:

Added: Ah, I see you had a similar idea to mine, which resulted in wider letters. No space characters in between, after all. My bad.
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:03 am UTC

squonk wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
KarMann wrote:

OMG

Works fine for me!

Ah, cool stuff.

Thanks.

loulett

Postby loulett » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:03 am UTC

What's little white thing? Is it an arrow?

Sappharos

Postby Sappharos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 am UTC

KarMann wrote:snip
No, without spaces, like so: ОМG. Now I'll let y'all try to puzzle that out. :twisted:

Easy. The O and M are different characters.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Oh, oh, I just thought about a new end of comic (well, not really) theory.
Just before the FDP of 2013-04-1 we will see a frame maximizing the suspense, then, as midnight comes, we will see Error 500 when we will try to look at this comic. For increased psychological pain, we will be able to see a frame every now and then showing that something fabulous is happening in the frames we cannot see.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Sappharos wrote:

I'm disappointed you didn't do it with RTL.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

squonk

Postby squonk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:09 am UTC

udscbt wrote:
squonk wrote:While you people have been wasting your time here, I have been reading The Other Comics, and have made a startling discovery: the woman in this comic is NOT named Megan! Her name is MEEEEEE.

Actually MEEEEEE is her stage name as a singer, her real name is clearly "I hacked the audio fingerprint database".

I wonder if she's related to Little Bobby Tables?

KarMann wrote:
squonk wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
KarMann wrote:
OMG
Works fine for me!

You down with ОМG?

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:11 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Sappharos wrote:
I'm disappointed you didn't do it with RTL.

1+
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Godsguy

Postby Godsguy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:11 am UTC

I've been asleep for 12 newpix. 20+ new pages. I'll never get any work done today.
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats - Ken Grahame (Wind in the Willows)

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 am UTC

So, um, in the hours it took me to be forced to the hospital by George The Malevolent Gallstone, get diagnosed, medicated, come home and sleep off the meds, etc., we've gained 40 pages. If anyone would be so kind as to PM me with a quick summary of what's happened? I'd be MOST appreciative, because there is just no way I'm gonna make it through those 40 pages in my current Vicodin haze.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 am UTC

Sappharos wrote:

Looked like a curvy arrow to me but yes I think it's an archway.

I would seem like 'Ball is digging from the other side.

/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 am UTC

Love the perspective in this one :)
Last edited by Grepus on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am UTC

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 am UTC

And the Lord said: "Make thee an arch of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch."

gardn

Postby gardn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 am UTC

Whoooaa! A bridge!
Looks fragile, I hope cueball won't collapse it by accident!

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 am UTC

Thats a pretty big arch... he could fit through there... although as he is a 2D stick figure he could fit through most things.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

squonk

Postby squonk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 am UTC

You edit my comments, then I'm gone. Goodbye.
Last edited by squonk on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

GingerMuffin

Postby GingerMuffin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 am UTC

I'ts been fun keeping up with all of you, but alas, i have an exam. I'll be back though...

Wait for it...

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am UTC

squonk wrote:If you consider the fact that this is really over 200 separate comics at this point, then the participation rate in this topic is actually quite low, as there have often been hundreds of comments dedicated to a single frame.

The other comics didn't come this fast...
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Grepus

Postby Grepus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:55 am UTC

I fear today will be slow as it's Good Friday, all the brits are on holiday, usually going away for the Easter weekend

Sappharos

Postby Sappharos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 am UTC

That pillar in the middle looks pretty unstable... Calling it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”