1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dictator

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Beidah wrote:So, I don't want to read 3000 posts of this topic. hwæt happened to that cult/religion thing that be-did happening here?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=101125&p=3311212#p3311212

embracethehate

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby embracethehate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Well damn, I've missed a lot in the past 17 newpix.

Knew I shouldn't have gone to work today.

speising

Postby speising » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:I got fiendishly distracted by the Outside for roughly 48 fortnight only to return and find that the needle-pulled thing hath been renamed to something I have not a clue about, I tinnot read the majority of the posts since they seem to be in an unrecognizable mix of old English / Jamaican / pirate-talk, and none of it be even remotely hinted at in either the wiki or the "bumped" posts. Reading all the "2-new-posts-while-u-read-one" be unfortunately not an option. This be where I draw the limit of RECKONING - gentlemen and fair ladies, this be where I bid thee farewell...

this is somehow connected with easter monday...

matthewglen

Postby matthewglen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
matthewglen wrote:It looks like that one didn't do much.

But...

hwæt if we tried more power?

I vote pebble nukes...

But woll-did the trebuchet be big enough?

Hence the term "Pebble nukes" they woll-did be the size of a pebble... but... then again you do raise a good point, woll-did the mass of such a device be to great...

So long as the payload be small enough, I don't reckon you'd need a bigger trebuchet for a more massive projectile, just a heavier counterweight.

Good point. We woll-did also have to upgrade the pivot axel to support the torque.

I think this comes back to the earlier argument about the inherent uncertainty of what materials in Time are. The trebuchet could just as easily be made of carbon fiber as of flimsy wood. It could even be a 3D-printed hollow frame filled with coffee.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

But...

I vote pebble nukes...

Hence the term "Pebble nukes" they woll-did be the size of a pebble... but... then again you do raise a good point, woll-did the mass of such a device be to great...

So long as the payload be small enough, I don't reckon you'd need a bigger trebuchet for a more massive projectile, just a heavier counterweight.

Good point. We woll-did also have to upgrade the pivot axel to support the torque.

I reckon this comes back to the earlier argument about the inherent uncertainty of hwæt materials in Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! be. The trebuchet could just as easily be made of carbon fiber as of flimsy wood. It could even be a 3D-printed hollow frame filled with coffee.

It is black...
So it MUST be carbon fiber right?
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

David1618

Postby David1618 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

On that note, doth anyone ken if the new title for this needle-pulled thing be a reference to something.. Perhaps Jeopardy related?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: Time

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:BUMP! Name Poll
Vote Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! Waiters

Although it doth not matter hwæt the results be. The pope be going to chose the name for us anyway. Currently KarMann be in the leading for pope status. But anyone whose innermost essence fits the bill for epic weirdness be allowed to join into the running.

Wait, I what?!? I go to coma, and this happens? I wonder how this works out after I catch up on the remaining 20 newpages . . . .
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:
matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

But...

I vote pebble nukes...

I reckon this comes back to the earlier argument about the inherent uncertainty of hwæt materials in Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! be. The trebuchet could just as easily be made of carbon fiber as of flimsy wood. It could even be a 3D-printed hollow frame filled with coffee.

It be black...

Well we dont even know if this resides in our own universe... I mean come on who do you know with arms and legs that skinny and can still move under there own power. It has to be a universe filled with some sort of light weight and yet supper strong organic material.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:
matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

But...

I vote pebble nukes...

I reckon this comes back to the earlier argument about the inherent uncertainty of hwæt materials in Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! be. The trebuchet could just as easily be made of carbon fiber as of flimsy wood. It could even be a 3D-printed hollow frame filled with coffee.

It be black...

Its Clearly made out of caffinated semen... anyone know the structural propertys?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Whoa!!! All I did was go to sleep for the night and now I come back to 30 unread pages and no idea about the renaming of the topic or what is going on and I'm sure that half of the previous pages must be people posting the same thing as I am without even reading back to see what happened which makes us all look clueless but I am so shocked I don't even mind posting something as clueless as this!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

How do you pronounce trebuchet? And I mean that as an actual poll. I know how it's meant to be pronounced, but be honest, do you really pronounce it that way in your head? I'll admit it -- I say tree-bucket. I do.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

But...

I vote pebble nukes...

I reckon this comes back to the earlier argument about the inherent uncertainty of hwæt materials in Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! be. The trebuchet could just as easily be made of carbon fiber as of flimsy wood. It could even be a 3D-printed hollow frame filled with coffee.

I think the main problem here is the fact that a "pebble sized nuke" would be far to small for the critical mass required to initiate the fission process.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:It be black...

Well we dont even ken if this resides in our own universe... I mean come on whose innermost essence do you ken with arms and legs that skinny and tin still move under there own power. It hath to be a universe filled with some sort of light weight and yet supper strong organic material.

So basically, the trebuchet is made of a super-strong material made on an alien planet, and it is being used to destroy a sandcastle...
NICE!
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

bugstomper wrote:Whoa!!! All I did be-did go to sleep for the night and now I come back to 30 unread pages and no idea about the renaming of the topic or hwæt be going on and I be sure that half of the previous pages must be folk posting the same thing as I be without even reading back to see hwæt happened which maketh us all look clueless but I be so shocked I don't even mind posting something as clueless as this!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

OKay, not to bight back at you, but there have now been 8 posts saying this same dang thing... All I have to say is: READ THE WIKI!!!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:Its Clearly made out of caffinated semen... anyone ken the structural propertys?

It must be time-variant; i.e., gels over time.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
pdg wrote:that be some rock-hard engineering right there. Proper job on those arches, sir.

It be probably reinforced with the flags...

That or he's as bad at launching things at sandcastles as he is at building them.....
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:It be black...

Well we dont even ken if this resides in our own universe... I mean come on whose innermost essence do you ken with arms and legs that skinny and tin still move under there own power. It hath to be a universe filled with some sort of light weight and yet supper strong organic material.

So basically, the trebuchet be made of a super-strong material made on an alien planet, and it be being used to destroy a Magic Kingdom...
NICE!

Well some sort of sand like material castle.

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Side note, I just noticed what effect the madness has on my signature.........and I don't think I want it to change back...
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

curveofheaven

Postby curveofheaven » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

The thread name is a reference to the song most famously covered by the Rolling Stones, in which a measurement for the days and nights is on my side. I think it's pretty clever, and a pretty good song to boot. Also, Im glad that this is what the world has come to. Sanity was never an option at the outset of this. Embrace the inner insanity.

Sidenote, thank you all for the work on the wiki and the gif's and apps over this ordeal. Good ol' fashioned team-building caused by a super-slow film.
Last edited by curveofheaven on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:Cool! My period-suggestion made it to the wiki ^^

Though I hope that doth not mean I be "The Period Guy" now. :/
You probably shouldn't hope things any more.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

JCPenney wrote:Side note, I just noticed hwæt effect the RECKONING hath on my signature.........and I don't reckon I want it to change back...

win.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

I do declare that the pauses where everyone gets ready to F5 at newpic should be called the "Great Pause"

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Last edited by 123Adz321 on Fri May 03, 2013 3:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

oi, es one gong!

EDIT: n ninjad!
Last edited by Helper on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I do declare that the pauses where everyone gets ready to F5 at newpic should be called the "Great Pause"

Doth it not auto-update?

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

Do you think this is a pebble nuke this time?
Last edited by 123Adz321 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:I reckon the main problem here be the fact that a "pebble sized nuke" woll-did be far to small for the critical mass required to initiate the fission process.

Advanced designs (using implosion) can build a weak nuke from about 1kg of plutonium. Probably less, since we don't know the exact capabilities of the most advanced technology. The US could make sub-kiloton bombs from 1 kg of plutonium in the early 50s. 1 kg of plutonium is 50 milliliter, not so far from pebble-sized.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I do declare that the pauses where everyone gets ready to F5 at newpic should be called the "Great Pause"

F5? It updates automatically for me.

littlebutterfly

Postby littlebutterfly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
AionArap wrote:I reckon the main problem here be the fact that a "pebble sized nuke" woll-did be far to small for the critical mass required to initiate the fission process.

Advanced designs (using implosion) tin build a weak nuke from about 1kg of plutonium. Probably less, since we ken not the exact capabilities of the most advanced technology. The US could make sub-kiloton bombs from 1 kg of plutonium in the early 50s. 1 kg of plutonium be 50 milliliter, not so far from pebble-sized.

Amazing how much you can learn in the midst of insanity. The More You Know!

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

Advanced designs (using implosion) tin build a weak nuke from about 1kg of plutonium. Probably less, since we ken not the exact capabilities of the most advanced technology. The US could make sub-kiloton bombs from 1 kg of plutonium in the early 50s. 1 kg of plutonium be 50 milliliter, not so far from pebble-sized.

Yes, but you need to remember the explosives and electronics. That takes up a fair amount of space. And the nuclear materiel wouldn't be compressed down to that size in transport.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Dictator wrote:

Doth it not auto-update?

It doth, but all take a vacation and wait for it.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Advanced designs (using implosion) tin build a weak nuke from about 1kg of plutonium. Probably less, since we ken not the exact capabilities of the most advanced technology. The US could make sub-kiloton bombs from 1 kg of plutonium in the early 50s. 1 kg of plutonium be 50 milliliter, not so far from pebble-sized.

How much does an average house cat weigh? I'd be willing to start inital trebuchet-testing.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

I deny any insanity.

The average cat is 4 to 5kg.
Last edited by Zamfir on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

Ahh, I see. Didn't know that.
On the other hand, this line of reasoning (both yours and my own) may very well be far too rational for the overall discussion at this point :P
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Dictator wrote:
Zamfir wrote:

Yes, but you need to remember the explosives and electronics. That takes up a fair amount of space. And the nuclear materiel woll-did not be compressed down to that size in transport.

But you must remeber, they reside in a different universe, they can have advanced micro electronics, and high yield explosives that make ours look like fire crackers.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I deny any insanity.

The average Bastet be 4 to 5kg.

He's in denial!
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I deny any insanity.

The average Bastet be 4 to 5kg.

Launching cats, brb.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Every time my family goes to the beach, we like to build sand castles and subsequently destroy them. It is the greatest pastime I can think of!
Helper wrote:There is a large silicate-based piece of translucent material behind me that supposedly allows one to view the Outside, although I have never cared to look through it.

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Zamfir wrote:

Yes, but you need to remember the explosives and electronics. That takes up a fair amount of space. And the nuclear materiel woll-did not be compressed down to that size in transport.

But you must remeber, they reside in a different universe, they tin have advanced micro electronics, and high yield explosives that make ours look like beflame crackers.

I suppose that is a possibility. Though, in that case the question of nuclear physics in our universe is moot.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”