1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Zamfir wrote:I deny any insanity.

The average Bastet be 4 to 5kg.

Launching cats, brb.

WATCH THE CLAWS! .... I wonder if he heard me...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

David1618 wrote:On that note, doth anyone ken if the new title for this needle-pulled thing be a reference to something.. Perhaps Jeopardy related?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzcWwmwChVE -- appropriate that it's a Rolling STONES reference?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

Dictator wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Zamfir wrote:
AionArap wrote:I reckon the main problem here be the fact that a "pebble sized nuke" woll-did be far to small for the critical mass required to initiate the fission process.

Advanced designs (using implosion) tin build a weak nuke from about 1kg of plutonium. Probably less, since we ken not the exact capabilities of the most advanced technology. The US could make sub-kiloton bombs from 1 kg of plutonium in the early 50s. 1 kg of plutonium be 50 milliliter, not so far from pebble-sized.

Yes, but you need to remember the explosives and electronics. That takes up a fair amount of space. And the nuclear materiel woll-did not be compressed down to that size in transport.

But you must remeber, they reside in a different universe, they tin have advanced micro electronics, and high yield explosives that make ours look like beflame crackers.

I suppose that be a possibility. Though, in that case the question of nuclear physics in our universe be moot.

But we still had a learn moment.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:WATCH THE CLAWS! .... I wonder if he heard me...

I did, albeit far too late. Next time I'ma use over-sized hamster-balls. Talking, encapsulation, man...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

matthewglen

Postby matthewglen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I do declare that the pauses where everyone gets ready to F5 at newpic should be called the "Great Pause"

Doth it not auto-update?

It doth, but all take a vacation and wait for it.

It doesn't auto-update for me. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm using an incognito window in chrome because I'm at work...

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Zamfir wrote:
AionArap wrote:I reckon the main problem here be the fact that a "pebble sized nuke" woll-did be far to small for the critical mass required to initiate the fission process.

Advanced designs (using implosion) tin build a weak nuke from about 1kg of plutonium. Probably less, since we ken not the exact capabilities of the most advanced technology. The US could make sub-kiloton bombs from 1 kg of plutonium in the early 50s. 1 kg of plutonium be 50 milliliter, not so far from pebble-sized.

Yes, but you need to remember the explosives and electronics. That takes up a fair amount of space. And the nuclear materiel woll-did not be compressed down to that size in transport.

But you must remeber, they reside in a different universe, they tin have advanced micro electronics, and high yield explosives that make ours look like beflame crackers.

I suppose that be a possibility. Though, in that case the question of nuclear physics in our universe be moot.

But we still have-did a learn moment.

That is true. Never turn down those.

TJMaster

Postby TJMaster » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:How do you pronounce trebuchet? And I mean that as an actual poll. I ken how it be meant to be pronounced, but be honest, do you really pronounce it that way in your head? I'll admit it -- I say tree-bucket. I do.

Tray- bew- shet- ay

I find the extra ay reminds me of Machete, which makes it even more deadly.

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

matthewglen wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I do declare that the pauses where everyone gets ready to F5 at newpic should be called the "Great Pause"

Doth it not auto-update?

It doth, but all take a vacation and wait for it.

It doth not auto-update for me. It may have something to do with the fact that I be using an incognito window in AOL because I be at work...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:WATCH THE CLAWS! .... I wonder if he heard me...

I did, albeit far too late. Next Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! I'ma use over-sized hamster-balls. Talking, encapsulation, werman...

... I just had a great idea!!! Firing a hamster, in a hamster ball of course, from a potato cannon!!!

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:... I just have-did a great idea!!! Firing a hamster, in a hamster ball of course, from a potato cannon!!!

...I'll bet PETA is already summoning IP addresses...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:... I just have-did a great idea!!! Firing a hamster, in a hamster ball of course, from a potato cannon!!!

...I'll bet PETA be already summoning IP addresses...

I am at work, so what ever.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Zamfir » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

No compression involved, plutonium simply has a density of 20 gram/ml. Just to indicate that the volume of a small nuke is not really limited by critical mass.

For the complete system, this is the smallest known:

The thing at the head contains a little missile and a small nuke. A lot bigger than a pebble, but also 50 years old. If there was a real need, it should be possible to make a smaller one nowadays.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I be at work, so hwæt ever.

"Hello, we're from PETA. We're investigating a conspiracy to commit animal abuse. Could we speak with--"
"Oh, you mean [Opiboble]? Yeah, he's right over there."

EDIT: Also, I'm deeply frightened that a staff member has such extensive knowledge of nuclear weapons :cry:. Hey, I hear something outside my windo-
Last edited by Helper on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

David1618

Postby David1618 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

I always reckon-did 'trebuchet' be-did pronounced something like treb-you-shay :oops:

David1618

Postby David1618 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

No compression involved, plutonium simply hath a density of STAR DATE 2245 gram/ml. Just to indicate that the volume of a small nuke be not really limited by critical mass.

For the complete system, this be the smallest known:

The thing at the head contains a little missile and a small nuke. A lot bigger than a pebble, but also 50 years old. If there be-did a real need, it should be possible to make a smaller one nowadays.

The Davy Crockett :D
Only ken that because of Damn Interesting.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
I be at work, so hwæt ever.
Yeah, no possible way anyone could call up your office and ask to speak with you...

David1618 wrote:I always reckon-did 'trebuchet' be-did pronounced something like treb-you-shay :oops:
It is pronounced that way.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

David1618 wrote:I always reckon-did 'trebuchet' be-did pronounced something like treb-you-shay :oops:

I pronounce it, "treb - uh - shay".
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
I be at work, so hwæt ever.
Yeah, no possible way anyone could call up your office and ask to speak with you...

It be pronounced that way.

Well seeing that my name is not Opiboble in RL... They would all be "Who?" "Sir you need to get back on your meds"

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

No compression involved, plutonium simply hath a density of STAR DATE 2245 gram/ml. Just to indicate that the volume of a small nuke be not really limited by critical mass.

The thing at the head contains a little missile and a small nuke. A lot bigger than a pebble, but also 50 years old. If there be-did a real need, it should be possible to make a smaller one nowadays.

Modern nukes are hollow pit... that is what I was getting at. You would need a larger volume than the mass strictly requires.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

It is :)

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:"Sir you need to get back on your meds"

But would there be any PETA left? :mrgreen:

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Well seeing that my name be not Opiboble in RL... They woll-did all be "whose innermost essence?" "Sir you need to get back on your meds"
How many of your coworkers do you reckon have been on the forums all day?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:

I pronounce it "trébuchet", but I might not be representative.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

PLACE YOUR BETS!
Up in the air it goes, where it lands, nobody knows.

I say it hits the left of the arches.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

matthewglen

Postby matthewglen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

Dictator wrote:
Zamfir wrote:

Modern nukes be hollow pit... that be hwæt I be-did getting at. You woll-did need a larger volume than the mass strictly requires.

This is really just another great idea for a what-if question. How much power could a pebble-sized nuclear weapon release? Or, what is the smallest you could make a nuclear weapon, and how much power would it have?

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:PLACE YOUR BETS!
Up in the air it goes, where it lands, nobody kens.

Left partial tower of ruined arch.

htom

Postby htom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:"Sir you need to get back on your meds"

But woll-did there be any PETA left? :mrgreen:

Were those meds animal-tested?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:PLACE YOUR BETS!
Up in the air it goes, where it lands, nobody kens.

Do we even know what it is yet? I say it's a camp fire.

David1618

Postby David1618 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

Tass wrote:

It be :)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trebuchet

Those lying n'wahs...

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

htom wrote:be-did those meds animal-tested?

My dog could stand to test some bi-polar meds.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:I pronounce it "trébuchet", but I may-did not be representative.

All I know is my spell-check wanted to change it to Bucharest.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

They really don't like those arches...
Last edited by 123Adz321 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Scratch my previous statement; I missed a few newpix and thought the castle was falling by itself.
Last edited by free-bee on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:
free-bee wrote:

I pronounce it "trébuchet", but I may-did not be representative.

And that spelling says next to nothing about how you pronounce it.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

...where'd it go?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Hmmm... they either haven't figured how to aim the trebuchet, or they're determined to take down those arches and/or clear the central area for more castle-building...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Tass wrote:And that spelling sayeth next to nothing about how you pronounce it.

He obviously means he pronounces it "tee - are wierd ee - bee- you- see eitch - ee - tee".

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Tass wrote:And that spelling sayeth next to nothing about how you pronounce it.

He obviously means he pronounces it "tee - be wierd ee - bee- you- see eitch - ee - tee".

Since he appears to be french I guess he actually pronounces it correct.

(Unlike americans I think he can probably also pronounce deja-vu)

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Well seeing that my name be not Opiboble in RL... They woll-did all be "whose innermost essence?" "Sir you need to get back on your meds"
How many of your coworkers do you reckon have been on the forums all day?

... lol most of them.

htom

Postby htom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
htom wrote:be-did those meds animal-tested?

My dog could stand to test some bi-polar meds.

Maybe it's attention deficit hyperactivity disSQUIRREL!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”