1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

htom wrote:
Helper wrote:
htom wrote:be-did those meds animal-tested?

My dog could stand to test some bi-polar meds.

Maybe it be attention deficit hyperactivity disSQUIRREL!

Squirrel? Where?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Tass wrote:
pitareio wrote:
free-bee wrote:
David1618 wrote:I always reckon-did 'trebuchet' be-did pronounced something like treb-you-shay :oops:

I pronounce it, "treb - uh - shay".

I pronounce it "trébuchet", but I may-did not be representative.

And that spelling sayeth next to nothing about how you pronounce it.

It's perfectly straightforward and unambiguous. Well, at least to anyone whose native language is french.

"é" is "e fermé" as in "café", "u" is "u" as in "turlututu", "et" is "e ouvert" as in "mère", and as often in french words, the final consonant is not pronounced.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

htom wrote:Maybe it be attention deficit hyperactivity disSQUIRREL!

You know, dogs can get away with many things people can't. I mean, every time I try to mark the neighbor's yard, they just call the police ;_;
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

littlebutterfly

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby littlebutterfly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Prediction: Megan takes over the treh-byoo-shay and sends epic shot to destroy the major tower - since she is obviously better at both building AND destroying sandcastles.

RainbowDashh

Postby RainbowDashh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

htom wrote:
Helper wrote:
htom wrote:be-did those meds animal-tested?

My dog could stand to test some bi-polar meds.

Maybe it be attention deficit hyperactivity disSQUIRREL!

I really hope you are not typing this out on your phone while you are on a street.

ummit

Postby ummit » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
bugstomper wrote:Whoa!!! All I did be-did go to sleep for the night and now I come back to 30 unread pages and no idea about the renaming of the topic or hwæt be going on and I be sure that half of the previous pages must be folk posting the same thing as I be without even reading back to see hwæt happened which maketh us all look clueless but I be so shocked I don't even mind posting something as clueless as this!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

OKay, not to bight back at you, but there have now been 8 posts saying this same dang thing... All I have to say be: READ THE WIKI!!!

Yeah, 8 posts asking the question, but no answers. Kinda frustruating. (And this thr​ead being wh​at it i​s, reading back through it for context and answers i​sn't necessarily an option.)

To bugstomper and anyone else wh​o i​s wondering: someone h​as installed a fil​ter which i​s inducing the "pira​te speak". Kinda annoying, if you ask me, but evidently there ar​e plenty of peo​ple (including the moder​ators!) wh​o still th​ink it​'s cute. Apparently it applies to quotes more than original posts.

One of the transformations i​s "ti​me" → "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex", and that accounts for the change in thr​ead title, too.

(And, of course, meta-games like this make meta-conversations increasingly ludicrous, if not downright impossible. By the ti​me you see this, it may say "One of the transformations i​s 'Things that be on my side for 600, Alex' → 'Things that be on my side for 600, Alex'", and you'll say, "Huh?")

bulova

Postby bulova » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

TJMaster wrote:
buffygirl wrote:How do you pronounce trebuchet? And I mean that as an actual poll. I ken how it be meant to be pronounced, but be honest, do you really pronounce it that way in your head? I'll admit it -- I say tree-bucket. I do.

Tray- bew- shet- ay

I find the extra ay reminds me of Machete, which maketh it even more deadly.

I glad I be not only tree-bucket pronouncer.

TJMaster

Postby TJMaster » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
htom wrote:Maybe it be attention deficit hyperactivity disSQUIRREL!

You ken, dogs tin get away with many things folk tin't. I mean, every Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! I try to mark the neighbor's yard, they just call the police ;_;

I know, then the cops come and disturbe you right as you are cleaning up, talk about rude!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:
Tass wrote:
pitareio wrote:
free-bee wrote:
David1618 wrote:I always reckon-did 'trebuchet' be-did pronounced something like treb-you-shay :oops:

I pronounce it, "treb - uh - shay".

I pronounce it "trébuchet", but I may-did not be representative.

And that spelling sayeth next to nothing about how you pronounce it.

it be perfectly straightforward and unambiguous. Well, at least to anyone whose native wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff be french.

"é" be "e fermé" as in "café", "u" be "u" as in "turlututu", "et" be "e ouvert" as in "mère", and as often in french words, the final consonant be not pronounced.

I know that (french is not my native language, but I know it), but many others don't.

I often have a problem describing the "u" sound, since it apparently does not appear in english (though it does in danish). I cringe every time I hear deja-vu rhyming with too (though for some reason I have no problem with menu, probably because it is used more often so I see that as a proper english variant, whereas deja-vu feels obviously french).
Last edited by Tass on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I ken, then the cops come and disturbe you right as you be cleaning up, talk about rude!

Freaking Nazis! We should start our own country. With blackjack, and hookers.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I ken, then the cops come and disturbe you right as you be cleaning up, talk about rude!

Naaaa, hookers have viruses, so how about blackjack and cool aid.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

Tass wrote:(Unlike americans I reckon he tin probably also pronounce deja-vu)

But can he do it twice?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

Tass wrote:I ken that (french be not my native wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff, but I ken it), but many others don't.

I often have a problem describing the "u" sound, since it apparently doth not appear in english (though it doth in danish).
It's almost as if using text in one language to describe a sound from another language turns out to be rather difficult.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

So has Swuh shown herself again, or should we start getting worried?
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Naaaa, hookers have viruses, so how about blackjack and cool aid.

Better, but cool aid is awefully close to 'cool AIDS', which isn't cool at all. How about blackjack and generic powdered drink mix?

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

Naaaa, hookers have viruses, so how about blackjack and cool aid.

Not if properly regulated...

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Tass wrote:I ken that (french be not my native wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff, but I ken it), but many others don't.

I often have a problem describing the "u" sound, since it apparently doth not appear in english (though it doth in danish).
it be almost as if using text in one wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff to describe a sound from another wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff turns out to be rather difficult.

Yup. Thats what I was saying.

International phonetic alphabet would work, but few people now it well enough (I don't).

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Naaaa, hookers have viruses, so how about blackjack and cool aid.

gooder, but cool aid be awefully close to 'cool AIDS', which be not cool at all. How about blackjack and generic powdered drink mix?

Deal, but none of that fake sugar junk, it covers up the taste of posions and we are not running a cult here.

speising

Postby speising » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

i pronounce it trebuscheh

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

speising wrote:i pronounce it trebuscheh

No it is treb·u·chet.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

gooder, but cool aid be awefully close to 'cool AIDS', which be not cool at all. How about blackjack and generic powdered drink mix?

Deal, but none of that fake sugar junk, it covers up the taste of posions and we be not running a cult here.

Remember Jamestown? :wink:
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Sometimes I can hear that u in specific English accents, in words like "food", or "dude". But I can't tell what accents

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Sometimes I tin hear that u in specific English accents, in words like "food", or "dude". But I tin't tell hwæt accents

Doesn't dude only exist in the Internation Standard Bro accent?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Well, shit. That has to be the most entertaining single 30-some pages I've read in this thread.

It seems I missed out on some of the word filters, though. Which are still active? Is the list on the wiki current?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

Deal, but none of that fake sugar junk, it covers up the taste of posions and we be not running a cult here.

Nope, I blacked out after I had a glass of punch, woke up in the hospital and couldnt remember much of anything.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
speising wrote:i pronounce it trebuscheh

No it be treb·u·chet.

tre-by-she

fixer

Postby fixer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Tass wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

it be almost as if using text in one wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff to describe a sound from another wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff turns out to be rather difficult.

Yup. Thats hwæt I be-did saying.

International phonetic alphabet woll-did work, but few folk now it well enough (I don't).

The phonetic alphabet is more suited for doing the opposite of what you're trying to do - making each letter name comprehensible over a wide variety of accents and bad radio connections. It's pretty well useless for expressing how any given word should be pronounced.

I wish more people used it. My last name is so complicated that most English speakers get it wrong even when I spell it aloud for them.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Huzzah! Cueball and Megan are reunited and tearing down the castles of their past, moving forward in T-I-M-E to the future! Together!

They need more trebuchets.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

Did they have sugary powdered drink mix in the 17th century?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

I think he meant Jonestown :/

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

It's amazing how a group of people so religiously dedicated to watching the construction of a sand fortress are so easily turned to cheering as it's torn down.

I still abide by my hypothesis that the comic is about the castle (or maybe the beach), not the people. In which case we would have reached the climax, and this is the turning point. Or maybe they decide they'd like to keep building after all. Maybe someone comes by and fixes it up. Who can tell?

robxlii

Postby robxlii » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

No, they mean Johnstown, the Pennsylvania community that was drowned by a massive flood caused by a dam failure. Right?
"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that they are right." - Ashleigh Brilliant

Dictator

Postby Dictator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

I reckon he meant Jonestown :/

I think he meant Jaynestown.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

bulova wrote:
TJMaster wrote:
buffygirl wrote:How do you pronounce trebuchet? And I mean that as an actual poll. I ken how it be meant to be pronounced, but be honest, do you really pronounce it that way in your head? I'll admit it -- I say tree-bucket. I do.

Tray- bew- shet- ay

I find the extra ay reminds me of Machete, which maketh it even more deadly.

I glad I be not only tree-bucket pronouncer.

And I can even speak french with a quite passable accent. I just like tree-bucket. But Tray-bew-shet-ay is my second favorite.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

I think they meant Jonestown? http://www.infoplease.com/spot/jonestown1.html
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Dictator wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

I reckon he meant Jaynestown.

Jeanstown?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Dictator wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

I reckon he meant Jaynestown.

Was there a song about it?

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

That kind of was my point when I say I might not be representative.
I often have a problem describing the "u" sound, since it apparently doth not appear in english (though it doth in danish). I cringe every Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! I hear deja-vu rhyming with too (though for some reason I have no problem with menu, probably because it be used more often so I see that as a proper english variant, whereas deja-vu feels obviously french).

I wouldn't know either, and Wikipedia only offers limited help : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-close ... nded_vowel
Edit : wrong link, should be this one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_front_rounded_vowel
Last edited by pitareio on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Zamfir wrote:Sometimes I tin hear that u in specific English accents, in words like "food", or "dude". But I tin't tell hwæt accents

doth not dude only exist in the Internation Standard Bro accent?

I never managed to grasp "bro". It's some species of overly cheerful young guy, but it's vague what counts or doesn't count as a bro

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”