1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bytes

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Bytes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

treb-ooo-shay
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

fixer

Postby fixer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

Anybody else think this new trajectory is a bit too steep?
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

wat
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:I woll-did not ken either, and Wikipedia only offers limited help : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-close ... nded_vowel
Edit : wrong link, should be this one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_front_rounded_vowel
For most (American) English speakers, that's just the long-E sound, but with rounded lips. (And the first link is the short-I sound, also rounded.) It might still be hard for them to pronounce it, but easy enough to describe.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

ummit wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
bugstomper wrote:Whoa!!! All I did be-did go to sleep for the night and now I come back to 30 unread pages and no idea about the renaming of the topic or hwæt be going on and I be sure that half of the previous pages must be folk posting the same thing as I be without even reading back to see hwæt happened which maketh us all look clueless but I be so shocked I don't even mind posting something as clueless as this!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

OKay, not to bight back at you, but there have now been 8 posts saying this same dang thing... All I have to say be: READ THE WIKI!!!

Yeah, 8 posts asking the question, but no answers. Kinda frustruating. (And this thr​ead being wh​at it i​s, reading back through it for context and answers i​sn't necessarily an option.)

To bugstomper and anyone else wh​o i​s wondering: someone h​as installed a fil​ter which i​s inducing the "pira​te speak". Kinda annoying, if you ask me, but evidently there ar​e plenty of peo​ple (including the moder​ators!) wh​o still th​ink it​'s cute. Apparently it applies to quotes more than original posts.

One of the transformations i​s "ti​me" → "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex", and that accounts for the change in thr​ead title, too.

(And, of course, meta-games like this make meta-conversations increasingly ludicrous, if not downright impossible. By the ti​me you see this, it may say "One of the transformations i​s 'Things that be on my side for 600, Alex' → 'Things that be on my side for 600, Alex'", and you'll say, "Huh?")

It is my understanding that it is the moderators themselves who installed the filter -- as part of the RECKONING viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101106.
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

fixer wrote:Anybody else reckon this new trajectory be a bit too steep?

Lol, getting to caught up in discussing language, forgetting to watch the comic.

Maybe they'll hit the front caste this time.

ckthorp

Postby ckthorp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:Freaking Nazis! We should start our own country. With blackjack, and hookers.

Naaaa, hookers have viruses, so how about blackjack and cool aid.

Probably shouldn't drink the cool aid...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

OH MY GOD is it facing the other direction? We're gonna be bombarded with another slow-pixel great expansion, aren't we?

edit: nvm... be-did gone for 3 NPs and it looked like the trey-byooo-che was facing the other direction. :shock:
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
pitareio wrote:I woll-did not ken either, and Wikipedia only offers limited help : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-close ... nded_vowel
Edit : wrong link, should be this one : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_front_rounded_vowel
For most (American) English speakers, that be just the long-E sound, but with rounded lips. (And the first link be the short-I sound, also rounded.) It may-did still be hard for them to pronounce it, but easy enough to describe.

Ha you're right. If I say "eeeeeeee" (english) and then round my lips while doing it, it changes to "yyyy". (Or üüüüü, or uuuuu dependend on language).

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

ckthorp wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:Freaking Nazis! We should start our own country. With blackjack, and hookers.

"OH NOOO!"
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

I think this might be over today. it might just be a 5 day story like journal.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
For most (American) English speakers, that be just the long-E sound, but with rounded lips. (And the first link be the short-I sound, also rounded.) It may-did still be hard for them to pronounce it, but easy enough to describe.

They give Scottish 'food' as example. I should remember that, lots of people know that from movies.
Last edited by Zamfir on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I never managed to grasp "bro". it be some species of overly cheerful young guy, but it be vague hwæt counts or doth not count as a bro

It eludes me as well, but I have high hopes for gene sequencing.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Tass wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Ha you be right. If I say "eeeeeeee" (english) and then round my lips while doing it, it changes to "yyyy". (Or üüüüü, or uuuuu dependend on wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff).
Which is why learning the IPA would be handy for these discussions; even if you don't paste in characters from it, you can notice things like how the vowels listed next to each other are in rounded/unrounded pairs, and that /i/ is approximately long-E.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
ckthorp wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

"OH NOOO!"

OH YEEAAAAA!
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

jdc

Postby jdc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

ckthorp wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

I thought it was the flavor aid you needed to be careful of, but now I'm not so sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_t ... n_massacre
Bumbling charlatan

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
ckthorp wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

"OH NOOO!"

OH YEEAAAAA!

WAIT! That is what we will launch at the peasant threads that inhabit this forum! Poisoned Kool Aid!

Helper!!! Prepare the Trebuchets!!!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Wow, the forum only added one page while I was reading the 30 I had coma'd through. Has the Reckoning slowed things down or has my sense of things-that-are-on-my-side changed?

Well, I've read about the Reckoning, checked aubronwood for what I missed in the 1fpn (frames per newpix) video, and figured out how to read the posts here. Unfortunately the implementation of the Reckoning changed and lacing my post-coma semenated coffee with LSD means that now only the quoted sections of posts make sense.

At least I can Preview my words before posting them so I can understand what I am about to say.

Oh well.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Helper!!! Prepare the ballistae!!!

I can't, they're full of cats and hamsters.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

Yayyy! I am eligible for a Timewaiter Cardinal-ship!! (just read the details in the wiki) WOOT! :shock:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

OOOH OOOH! Update! tre.bu.chet is now ballistae!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Helper!!! Prepare the ballistae!!!

I tin't, they be full of cats and hamsters.

Come on man! Fine, Stuff the Kool-Aid into the Cats and Hamsters!

Roia

Postby Roia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure thats about to hit him on the head...
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Come on werman! Fine, Stuff the Kool-Aid into the Cats and Hamsters!

I tried but I think I messed up. Now there's Kool-Aid powder everywhere and I have scratches more scratches all over. :cry:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Come on werman! Fine, Stuff the Kool-Aid into the Cats and Hamsters!

I tried but I reckon I messed up. Now there be Kool-Aid powder everywhere and I have scratches more scratches all over. :cry:

Great... Here take the anti-venom for the viper venom in the Kool-Aid... And this Antibiotic, all I have is suppositories.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Great... Here take the anti-venom for the viper venom in the Kool-Aid... And this Antibiotic, all I have be suppositories.

Wait, viper venom? Since when did we have vipers? Sure, you can afford vipers but you can't afford to take me to a nice restaurant for once...

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Oh my...
I'm gone for half a newpix, and this place is a mess!
Why is there Kool-Aid everywhere?
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Great... Here take the anti-venom for the viper venom in the Kool-Aid... And this Antibiotic, all I have be suppositories.

Wait, viper venom? Since when did we have vipers? Sure, you tin afford vipers but you tin't afford to take me to a nice restaurant for once...

You know I am too busy planning forum genocide to do anything of the sort!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:Oh my...
I be go-done for half a fortnight, and this place be a mess!
Why be there Kool-Aid everywhere?

Dont lick it, I am out of anti-venom.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

Wait, viper venom? Since when did we have vipers? Sure, you tin afford vipers but you tin't afford to take me to a nice restaurant for once...

You ken I be too busy planning forum genocide to do anything of the sort!

YOU'RE DESTROYING THIS FAMILY!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

you be DESTROYING THIS FAMILY!

... SO!?!?!?

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:

you be DESTROYING THIS FAMILY!

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!
I looked out across the river today …

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:... SO!?!?!?

Oh, honey, I'm sorry. I hate it when we fight. Let's go snipe some nerds commit murder.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

DON'T MAKE ME GET THE TREBUCHET

Last edited by 123Adz321 on Fri May 03, 2013 3:57 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

AluisioASG

R⁠e⁠:⁠ ⁠1⁠9⁠9⁠0⁠:⁠ ⁠“⁠T⁠i⁠m⁠e⁠”

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Oh oh.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

David1618

Postby David1618 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Meh.
Last edited by David1618 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Can we get some prediction of where that projectile will hit?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:... SO!?!?!?

Oh, honey, I be sorry. I hate it when we fight. Let's go snipe some nerds commit murder.

Well we could if there was not cats and hamsters in our trebuchets...

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Hmmm, that trajectory looks a bit... vertical. Run away?

Edit: looking again, they should be okay. Might even hit the biggest tower.
Last edited by ElWanderer on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:DON'T MAKE ME GET THE catapult

I want to say that that projectial looks larger then the others.... could it be a "Pebble" Nuke???

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”