1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

123Adz321

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby 123Adz321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Whatever it is, it's heading for the castle closer to them this time
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

I've not seen the auto-updating gif in a while. Anyone feel not too lazy to go fetch the link?
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

sbkp

Postby sbkp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

This would be like the moment the hero pushes the baby out of the way of the oncoming bus. Except I'd be pushing the trebuchet. I can take a sand ball. I'm not sure it can...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

123Adz321 wrote:Whatever it be, it be heading for the Kingdom closer to them this Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!

They should have waited till after the What If so they know how large the trebuchet had to be so they wouldnt kill themselves.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

So, how long until the trebuchet takes out itself?
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

littlebutterfly

Postby littlebutterfly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

I'm about to leave for the weekend. I'm terrified what I will find when I return in 128NP... I was gone for 32NP (aka overnight) and there was a new religion spawned, gone for another 32NP and all hell broke loose in the RECKONING... I fully expect the thread to have doubled by the time I return!

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Well we could if there be-did not cats and hamsters in our ballistae...

I know, I'm sorry.... Look, I loaned them to the crazy cat lady, so they're out of our hair trebuchets for now.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Well we could if there be-did not cats and hamsters in our ballistae...

I ken, I be sorry.... Look, I loaned them to the crazy Bastet lady, so they be out of our hair ballistae for now.

Good, good... Now to find more vipers...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

yangosplat
Location: Somewhere in the gray mass of clouds that is the Pacific Northwest

Postby yangosplat » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:I've not seen the auto-updating gif in a while. Anyone feel not too lazy to go fetch the link?

http://bit.ly/16cxmxE (shortened to avoid madness) or http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/

Speaking of which, where's the bump post (or are we just referring back to the wiki for everything?)
swey wrote:well when a mommy period and a daddy period fall in love, they can make whats known as a dot

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

TJMaster wrote:
buffygirl wrote:How do you pronounce catapult? And I mean that as an actual poll. I ken how it be meant to be pronounced, but be honest, do you really pronounce it that way in your head? I'll admit it -- I say tree-bucket. I do.

Tray- bew- shet- ay

I find the extra ay reminds me of Machete, which maketh it even more deadly.

It.s french, so try tré-by-ché, or tré-bü-ché. Sorry, I do not have IPA characters on hand, and I doubt they w.ould make it through the m.adness.

EDIT: this w.as p.osted at a t.ime where the "catapult" w.as still called "tre.buchet", making the pronounciation of the latter moot.
Last edited by ronaldkr on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

ronaldkr wrote:It.s french, so try tré-by-ché, or tré-bü-ché. Sorry, I do not have IPA characters on hand, and I doubt they w.ould make it through the m.adness.

You think you are so clever dont you.

fixer

Postby fixer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

ElWanderer wrote:Hmmm, that trajectory looks a bit... vertical. Run away?

Edit: looking again, they should be okay. may-did even hit the biggest tower.

It has a little bit of forward momentum, but not much. If I remember my punkin chunkin correctly, it's liable to also come straight down, so the tallest turret is fairly likely.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool

Postby berryjw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

Helper wrote:

I ken, I be sorry.... Look, I loaned them to the crazy Bastet lady, so they be out of our hair ballistae for now.

Oh. And I was just fetching in the dogs...

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:Oh. And I be-did just fetching in the dogs...

But the cats might eat the hamsters, and the dogs might eat the cats. And frankly, I'm not sure if the universe can handle consumption layered that deep.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Primis

Postby Primis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

So, not to start another schism (but ah, hell why not):

Shouldn't newpix be divided into 218435 pixels, as hath been done by the Creator, and having seen what he hath done and it was good?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

Helper wrote:

But the cats may-did eat the hamsters, and the dogs may-did eat the cats. And frankly, I be not sure if the universe tin handle consumption layered that deep.

Na, if the cats are well-fed, they'll just play with the hamsters (and, quite probably, the hamsters will play back). The dogs, however well-fed, *will* chase the cats. Then we can have the dogs roll in the kool-aide powder, and launch *them* in the treb!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

edo wrote:So, not to start another schism (but ah, hell why not):

Shouldn't fortnight be divided into 218435 pixels, as hath been done by the Creator, and having seen hwæt he hath done and it be-did good?

Don't even go there.
Seriously, don't.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:

But the cats may-did eat the hamsters, and the dogs may-did eat the cats. And frankly, I be not sure if the universe tin handle consumption layered that deep.

Na, if the cats be well-fed, they'll just play with the hamsters (and, quite probably, the hamsters woll play back). The dogs, however well-fed, *woll* chase the cats. Then we tin have the dogs roll in the kool-aide powder, and launch *them* in the treb!

I like that idea. Get working on it Berry, we launch them in 2 newpix!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

How could the projectile become bigger in the air? Is it a balloon? Or is it another projectile fired off some other trebuchet possibly operated by BHG?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:How could the projectile become bigger in the air? be it a balloon? Or be it another projectile fired off some other catapult possibly operated by BHG?

It's expanding over time... kinda like nukes :twisted:

David1618

Postby David1618 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:

Shouldn't fortnight be divided into 218435 pixels, as hath been done by the Creator, and having seen hwæt he hath done and it be-did good?

Don't even go there.
Seriously, don't.

218,435 be a special number which represents the revelation to benevolently bestowed upon us by Ra...ndall. Nothing to do with the progression of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, except our capacity to observe and wait upon it.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Haha, they fail!

fixer

Postby fixer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Haha, they fail!

At least they have the good sense to get out of the way!
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

No. The Newpix (or TImeFrame, as that is just a dialect difference) is not divided by the Timewaiters. Between them is the Interpix (or, I guess, Interframe) and it can be divided. The Newpix come as appointed, and are observed. Then it is the Interpix, and we wait, and do outsider things. Short things, but sometimes we have to do long things, and must be away for multiple Newpix, in which case we consult the Book of Aubron that we might not be confused and dismayed.

Edit. Paren fixed. Apologies.
Last edited by SBN on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:

Na, if the cats be well-fed, they'll just play with the hamsters (and, quite probably, the hamsters woll play back). The dogs, however well-fed, *woll* chase the cats. Then we tin have the dogs roll in the kool-aide powder, and launch *them* in the treb!

I like that idea. Get working on it Berry, we launch them in 2 fortnight!

Hmm, since the cats 'n hamsters are off visiting, the pups are uninterested in the treb.... I'll be right back!
<berryjw wanders off to trap squirrels>

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:How could the projectile become bigger in the air? be it a balloon? Or be it another projectile fired off some other catapult possibly operated by BHG?

Ooooh, maybe they aimed it right at US and that's why it's gotten bigger, and it will go SPLAT on the screen!

artem

Postby artem » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Now I'm a bit worried because we can see only one of them getting out of the way..

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

No. The fortnight (or TImeFrame, as that be just a dialect difference) be not divided by the Timewaiters. Between them be the Interpix (or, I guess, Interframe) and it tin be divided. The fortnight come as appointed, and be observed. Then it be the Interpix, and we wait, and do outsider things. (Short things, but sometimes we have to do long things, and must be away for multiple fortnight, in which case we consult the Book of Aubron that we may-did not be confused and dismayed.

Damn missing right parens!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
SBN wrote:

No. The fortnight (or TImeFrame, as that be just a dialect difference) be not divided by the Timewaiters. Between them be the Interpix (or, I guess, Interframe) and it tin be divided. The fortnight come as appointed, and be observed. Then it be the Interpix, and we wait, and do outsider things. (Short things, but sometimes we have to do long things, and must be away for multiple fortnight, in which case we consult the Book of Aubron that we may-did not be confused and dismayed.

}

EDIT: Wrong parens.
Last edited by AionArap on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Helper

Postby Helper » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

Ooooh, maybe they aimed it right at US and that be why it be gotten bigger, and it woll go SPLAT on the screen!

Wait a second... Cueball and Megan are North Korea. Mind = blown.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

By the way, have any of the pixel pushers (and I use the term with the fullest of respect) checked to see if there are any signs that the new pix have been made after Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:04 am UTC?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

Well said SBN.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:

Don't even go there.
Seriously, don't.

8.2 milliseconds...that is an annoyingly small measure of time.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
SBN wrote:

]

ARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
SBN wrote:

]

ARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!

Don't worry, i fixed the typo ;)

BA-DA-BING!!!

edo

Postby edo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Don't even go there.
Seriously, don't.

8.2 milliseconds...that be an annoyingly small measure of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!.

There's a 2 pixel hum coming from my computer right now.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Primis wrote:[img]

How many of your 1300 internets did you actually win with that .gif?

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Dark Avorian wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Don't even go there.
Seriously, don't.

8.2 milliseconds...that be an annoyingly small measure of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!.

there be a 2 pixel hum coming from my mechanical difference engine right now.

Well, turn it up so the rest of us can hear.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

I just noticed, the frame of time passing in the Newpix is no longer constant since the coming of the trebuchet, that or for some strange reason objects launched by the trebuchet take a longer to travel.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”