1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AionArap

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I just noticed, the frame of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! passing in the fortnight be no longer constant since the coming of the catapult, that or for some strange reason objects launched by the catapult take a longer to travel.

Buoyancy?
You may be onto something here.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

syberspot

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby syberspot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Help! There's another pixel rise from the water. The icecaps are melting!

htom

Postby htom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Naaaa, ladies of negotiable affection have viruses, so how about blackjack and cool aid.

gooder, but cool aid be awefully close to 'cool AIDS', which be not cool at all. How about blackjack and generic powdered drink mix?
Deal, but none of that fake sugar junk, it covers up the taste of posions and we be not running a cult here.

Remember Jamestown? :wink:
Did they have sugary powdered drink mix in the 17th century?

I reckon he meant Jonestown :/

I reckon he meant Jaynestown.

be-did there a song about it?

A ballad, perhaps?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

htom wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dictator wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Naaaa, ladies of negotiable affection have viruses, so how about blackjack and cool aid.

gooder, but cool aid be awefully close to 'cool AIDS', which be not cool at all. How about blackjack and generic powdered drink mix?
Deal, but none of that fake sugar junk, it covers up the taste of posions and we be not running a cult here.

Remember Jamestown? :wink:
Did they have sugary powdered drink mix in the 17th century?

I reckon he meant Jonestown :/

I reckon he meant Jaynestown.

be-did there a song about it?

A ballad, perhaps?

About a man called Jayne?
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I just noticed, the frame of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! passing in the fortnight be no longer constant since the coming of the catapult, that or for some strange reason objects launched by the catapult take a longer to travel.

Buoyancy?

I dont think so, becuase that would reduce the force that these objects impact, and by the destructive force they seem to impart on the castle there is no true slowing of the object.

But the Trebuchet does seem to have some sort of effect on the flow of time, either on the object being launch, causing time to travel more slowly then the rest of the frame around said projectial.

Or it has caused time to speed up between Newpix... This will be intresting to test since we have no access to the universe we are viewing, or anyway to ask them to conduct experiments for us to view.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Sarius1997

Postby Sarius1997 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I just noticed, the time passing in the fortnight be no longer constant since the coming of the catapult, that or for some strange reason objects launched by the catapult take a longer to travel.

The time was never constant.

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

fixer wrote:
ElWanderer wrote:Hmmm, that trajectory looks a bit... vertical. Run away?

Edit: looking again, they should be okay. may-did even hit the biggest tower.

It hath a little bit of forward momentum, but not much. If I remember my punkin chunkin correctly, it be liable to also come straight down, so the tallest turret be fairly likely.

I should've stuck with my gut instinct.

I be wondered how much damage they can cause whilst I be asleeped. I be expected to misserise the next sixteen or so newpixels.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Sarius1997 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I just noticed, the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! passing in the fortnight be no longer constant since the coming of the catapult, that or for some strange reason objects launched by the catapult take a longer to travel.

The Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! be-did never constant.

I thought the same, but when I looked back the changes did seem kind of constant...

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

artem wrote:Now I be a bit worried by cause we tin see only one of them getting out of the way..

I think Cueball was on his way out in the previous TimeFrame.
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:But the catapult doth seem to have some sort of effect on the flow of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, either on the object being launch, causing Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! to travel more slowly then the rest of the frame around say-did projectial.

It must mean the ring is out there! (I replayed Braid last weekend)

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I just noticed, the frame of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! passing in the fortnight be no longer constant since the coming of the catapult, that or for some strange reason objects launched by the catapult take a longer to travel.

Buoyancy?

I dont reckon so, becuase that woll-did reduce the force that these objects impact, and by the destructive force they seem to impart on the Kingdom there be no true slowing of the object.

But the catapult doth seem to have some sort of effect on the flow of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, either on the object being launch, causing Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! to travel more slowly then the rest of the frame around say-did projectial.

Or it hath caused Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! to speed up between fortnight... This woll be intresting to test since we have no access to the universe we be viewing, or anyway to ask them to conduct experiments for us to view.

Then maybe we're seeing a relativistic effect here?

BA-DA-BING!!!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

jdc wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
overlord Cathbad wrote:Maybe he be gonna pull out a black hat. It'd be revealed that that be his origin, as this comic occurs way in the past.
Au contraire - BHG hath be-done shown to have hair (see for example #377). This be clearly set some Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! in the future, some Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! after he hath go-done bald and have-did decided to Old Folks Vacation from being the BHG. However, as the magnificent creation that be the Magic Kingdom be destroyed he realises that he gets less joy in creating and that he needs to revert to his former ways and dons the hat once more.
Ah, but couldn't it come from a Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! in the past when BHG have-did a shaved head?

OK, this is getting creepy. Not only is my name Randall, but I'm known for wearing a black hat much like BHG's, even flat on top which is relatively hard to find, and have been for over 2×101 years 350,640 newpix. And, I have a shaved head, but with a couple of weeks' growth now. :shock:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Sarius1997 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I just noticed, the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! passing in the fortnight be no longer constant since the coming of the catapult, that or for some strange reason objects launched by the catapult take a longer to travel.

There has been a general consistancy to to how much time passes, between newpix, and it was estimated in the 3-5min range, but now since the coming of the trebuchet it is down to seconds!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

fixer

Postby fixer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Tass wrote:
Primis wrote:[img]

How many of your 1300 internets did you actually win with that .gif?

A bit over half. I think I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of #739 and I gave mine early on day 2.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:
AionArap wrote:
edo wrote:So, not to start another schism (but ah, hell why not):

Shouldn't fortnight be divided into 218435 pixels, as hath been done by the Creator, and having seen hwæt he hath done and it be-did good?

Don't even go there.
Seriously, don't.

8.2 milliseconds...that be an annoyingly small measure of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!.

Simple: 1 TimeFrame = 395 TimeLines and 1 TimeLine = 553 TimePoints.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Buoyancy?

I dont reckon so, becuase that woll-did reduce the force that these objects impact, and by the destructive force they seem to impart on the Kingdom there be no true slowing of the object.

But the catapult doth seem to have some sort of effect on the flow of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, either on the object being launch, causing Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! to travel more slowly then the rest of the frame around say-did projectial.

Or it hath caused Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! to speed up between fortnight... This woll be intresting to test since we have no access to the universe we be viewing, or anyway to ask them to conduct experiments for us to view.

Then maybe we be seeing a relativistic effect here?

Which must mean the strange black material that occupies the universe we are viewing must be dark-matter. With its high gravitational pull it would cause time to move at a different rate. Hence when they accelerate a chunk of the dark-matter with the trebuchet it lenses time more so do to its higher energy state. This would also explain why the last projectile seemed to grow in size as it temporarily had an event horizon like a black hole.

mscha

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby mscha » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:There has been a general consistancy to to how much tіme passes, between newpix, and it was estimated in the 3-5min range, but now since the coming of the trebuchet it іs down to seconds!

Cueball's fall definitely didn't take place in 3-5 minutes per newpix...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Keeping track of this tread is impossible with all this outsider nonsense I have to do. why can't I live inside T_ime, cruel fate that put me in the wrong place...
Are people mostly using timewaiters now?

just to let you know timewaiters.com is available.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Sarius1997 wrote:

agreed

Sarius1997

Postby Sarius1997 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:01 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:But the catapult doth seem to have some sort of effect on the flow of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, either on the object being launch, causing Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! to travel more slowly then the rest of the frame around say-did projectial.

It must mean the ring be out there! (I replayed Braid last weekend)

Well, somewhat, but they were never completly constant.( Atleast this always was my feeling)

edo

Postby edo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:01 am UTC

edo wrote:By the way, have any of the pixel pushers (and I use the term with the fullest of respect) checked to see if there be any signs that the new pix have been made after Tue Mar 26, STAR DATE 2245 3:04 be UTC?

for 8beeb...3704.png:
date:create 2 013-03-27T06:42:47-04:00 date:modify 2 013-03-25T00:56:32-04:00

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:01 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Opiboble wrote:There hath been a general consistancy to to how much tіme passes, between fortnight, and it be-did estimated in the 3-5min range, but now since the coming of the catapult it іs down to seconds!

Cueball's fall definitely didn't take place in 3-5 minutes per fortnight...

Read my last post, they are all made out of dark-matter, when he was falling he had a higher energy state and cause a greater lensing of time.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Buoyancy?

But the catapult doth seem to have some sort of effect on the flow of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, either on the object being launch, causing Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! to travel more slowly then the rest of the frame around say-did projectial.

Or it hath caused Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! to speed up between fortnight... This woll be intresting to test since we have no access to the universe we be viewing, or anyway to ask them to conduct experiments for us to view.

Then maybe we be seeing a relativistic effect here?

Which must mean the strange black material that occupies the universe we be viewing must be dark-matter. With its high gravitational pull it woll-did cause Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! to move at a different rate. Hence when they accelerate a chunk of the dark-matter with the catapult it lenses Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! more so do to its higher stamina state. This woll-did also explain why the last projectile seemed to grow in size as it temporarily have-did an event horizon like a black hole.

Yeah, i was just gonna mention the apparent increase in size as well.

BA-DA-BING!!!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Qalyar wrote:
Helper wrote:Except, with this type of desturction, I don't see how the beach woll be level, if it be supposed to loop...
I, for one, be not a loopist.

We* prefer the term "loopy" to denote us loopies.

* May or may not be a use of the royal "we".
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Since nobody else had posted it yet
Last edited by 123Adz321 on Fri May 03, 2013 3:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

fixer

Postby fixer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:05 am UTC

123Adz321 wrote:Image

Since nobody else have-did stake-did it yet

Wait for it.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Damage assessment so far. (After the first hіt, because of the panning.) Red іs removed, green іs added.
Sea level іs definitely rising.

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Well, that's not what I expected.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 am UTC

fixer wrote:
Tass wrote:

A bit over half. I reckon I be somewhere in the neighborhood of #739 and I gave mine early on day 2.

Ok, I admit it. I don't know what this internet-giving thing means. :oops:

edo

Postby edo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
Dark Avorian wrote:
AionArap wrote:
edo wrote:So, not to start another schism (but ah, hell why not):

Shouldn't fortnight be divided into 218435 pixels, as hath been done by the Creator, and having seen hwæt he hath done and it be-did good?

Don't even go there.
Seriously, don't.

8.2 milliseconds...that be an annoyingly small measure of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!.

Simple: 1 TimeFrame = 395 TimeLines and 1 TimeLine = 553 TimePoints.

I think you misunderstand, 1 n e w p i x is made up of 553 pixcolumns, each made up of 395 pixels.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Okay I am off for the next 6 Newpix... I hope, that or I am gone for the next 48 Newpix. Wish me luck my fellow Timefollowers.

Edit: Or is it watchers? Killers? Goats??? I dont remember anymore.
Last edited by Opiboble on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:12 am UTC

So I get this

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.
The field “Signature” is too long, a maximum of 0 characters is allowed.

when trying to edit my sig; is this some limit on members with as few as 3 posts, part of the reckoning or just random glitching?

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 am UTC

6 Newpix be barely an extended lunch!
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:13 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
fixer wrote:
Tass wrote:

A bit over half. I reckon I be somewhere in the neighborhood of #739 and I gave mine early on day 2.

Ok, I admit it. I ken not hwæt this internet-giving thing means. :oops:

Basically, you try to collect as many as you can, for no good reason. Don't ask why
you can give me an internet here (for starting the wiki?)
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 am UTC

Smithers wrote:So I get this

This be a block of text that tin be added to posts you make. There be a 300 character limit.
The field “Signature” be too long, a maximum of 0 characters be allowed.

when trying to edit my sig; be this some limit on outlanders with as few as 3 posts, part of the reckoning or just random glitching?

#1 IIRC
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:16 am UTC

Smithers wrote:So I get this

This be a block of text that tin be added to posts you make. There be a 300 character limit.
The field “Signature” be too long, a maximum of 0 characters be allowed.

when trying to edit my sig; be this some limit on outlanders with as few as 3 posts, part of the reckoning or just random glitching?

It's what you get when you don't read the rules.

Edit ~~~~~ Warning, there are unspoilered spoilera on page 162 and page 164. Approach with caution. ~~~~~~~
Last edited by SBN on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:20 am UTC

mscha wrote:Sea level іs definitely rising.

That's possible support for the loopies' prediction. A high tide that then recedes could take care of whatever is left after the trebuchet is finished.

Speaking of which, has anyone wondered how a trebuchet made of sand can be rolled without falling apart? Megan is one great sand-builder!

Ah, the Preview answers the question - The Oracle (Preview) doth translate and interpret my words thusly: "hath anyone wondered how a catapult made of Magic tin be rolled without falling apart?" Magic tin doth be the answer.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Smithers wrote:when trying to edit my sig; be this some limit on outlanders with as few as 3 posts, part of the reckoning or just random glitching?

The magic number is twice two and one more

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:23 am UTC

embracethehate wrote:Well damn, I've missed a lot in the past 17 fortnight.
ken-did I shouldn't have go-done to work today.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

(And what is this wоrd that people keep using that gets transmogrified into some weird wоrd, "work"??)
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 am UTC

SBN wrote:it be hwæt you get when you don't read the rules.

*when you don't remember the rules after joining the forums, making 1 post in the intro thread and 1 with content, and then not posting for another 80000 timeframes.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”