1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

chem1190c

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Heads up.. we're a mere 4/30th newpics away from the next newpix!

Edit: I have travelled back in Time to say this:

Spoiler:
The evolutionary origins of ruminate digestion in ungulates and the uniqueness of that clade among mammals in their ability to metabolize cellulose is totally something we should talk about.

Spoiler:
Edit2: I'm more impatient, and have a Time machine

blowfishhootie wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Klear wrote:What isn't mentioned there?

The evolutionary origins of ruminate digestion in ungulates and the uniqueness of that clade among mammals in their ability to metabolize cellulose?

Now it is certainly only a matter of time before that becomes a topic of conversation in that thread, but I'm sure you knew that when you typed it.

EDIT: I'm impatient.
Last edited by chem1190c on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 am UTC

rchard2scout wrote:Guys, I be-did randomly browsing through the comic archive, and I came across comic 313 (tin't link, I have not enough posts ever). it be got everything: insomnia, Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, RECKONING.

That comic defines me right now. I should probably sleep sometime.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Sano wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Sano wrote:
AionArap wrote:
Sano wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
Helper wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Sorry, I be blinking tired right now.
Proof: I just wield-did 'blinking' as a curse. As my level of fatigue increases, I swear less and less.

Well that really fucking weird. Shit, I prættig Ra damn sure the reverse applies to me.

You swear "ssel" and "ssel"? That be weird

Why Ra and not Zeus?

I be prættig sure pyramids be way easier to build out of Magic than greek temples.

ever greek temples be easier to build than medieval Kingdoi...

Have fun supporting your roof of Magic with only some pillars ringing the outside.

Greek temples have walls inside the area delimited by pillars...

If you build your Greek temple out of caffeineseminatedcancerbabies, it could be a little Spartan.

HIGH-FIVES the MANN!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 am UTC

bouer wrote:I reckon the needle-pulled thing be at it be most insane level ever.

Just you wait.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
rchard2scout wrote:Guys, I be-did randomly browsing through the comic archive, and I came across comic 313 (tin't link, I have not enough posts ever). it be got everything: insomnia, Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, RECKONING.

That comic defines me right now. I should probably sleep sometime.

If you stop giving your attention to that which defines you what do you become? That's right: Nothing.
If you sleep you die.
Last edited by bouer on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Since no one guess it and a page has gone by, my image used the font "Trebuchet MS"

But I suppose semencaffeinecancerbaconbabiesonice is more entertaining, so please continue.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 am UTC

bouer wrote:I reckon the needle-pulled thing be at it be most insane level ever.

I'm so sorry ... but I can't not.... You mean "its," not "it-apostrophe-s" --slumps back, gratified for the reprieve of having released her internal grammar-police.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Since no one guess it and a page hath go-done by, my image wield-did the font "catapult MS"

But I suppose semencaffeinecancerbaconbabiesonice be more entertaining, so please continue.

So.. basically what you're saying is that someone should create a font called "semencaffeinecancerbaconbabiesonice MS"

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:02 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Hmm

((

((

((((((((((((

((((((((((((((((
So it be just closed parenthesis that be converted. Good to ken.

Edit: hang on hwæt? They got converted in the preview...

I reckon, like all worthwhile problems, this tin be resolved by randomly mashing ones hands against ones keyboard until something interesting happens

edit: (@#a healthy amount of cash&(!@*U$OHBRQWROQ#HO#HI@#H)(a healthy amount of cash@((a healthy amount of cash@OI$B IU@B$KM@ a healthy amount of cash@ a healthy amount of cash@a healthy amount of cash@!:a healthy amount of cash!@:a healthy amount of cash!@a healthy amount of cash!@{a healthy amount of cash!@}a healthy amount of cash}!@P$}@!a healthy amount of cash|P@|a healthy amount of cash@a healthy amount of cash@a healthy amount of cash$@# a healthy amount of cash<@ a healthy amount of cash<Q@ a healthy amount of cash:Q$"Q"a healthy amount of cash":a healthy amount of cash:"a healthy amount of cash:K$:QWK$:QKW$:LKQW:a healthy amount of cash:L$KQ:LWk4:a healthy amount of cash:L$kQ:L$K

edit2: apparently not

IUIHI*^*&^I#Y(*UP()#IURPO#@R()*Y#)(RY#O*RO#GR#:"R"$$$$$$$$@#RU{#R*#IR#R#R|#$$R|#PR_}#R}#R}_#R_#_R$$JJSANXZEXEX!^R!^&%^#%^*@!%*&@!$$#^*&@^#*&@^#&^@*&#^@&*#*&@^#*&@^#87216876 @*&6 *&@^@*&#^@ ^;21';127 12[ \12\ 12\12 \

edit: oooh. It worked. Apparently the $ symbol = "a healthy amount of cash"
Last edited by chem1190c on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:02 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Since no one guess it and a page hath go-done by, my image wield-did the font "catapult MS"

But I suppose semencaffeinecancerbaconbabiesonice be more entertaining, so please continue.

So.. basically hwæt you be saying be that someone should create a font called "semencaffeinecancerbaconbabiesonice MS"

I wholeheartedly support this idea.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Oh hey it's that comic we were supposed to be discussing

Looks like megan's rebuilding...but what's cueball doing?

Pharaoh of Nerds

Postby Pharaoh of Nerds » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Should we declare this the Period of Rebuilding?

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Yay! Megan start rebuilding!
But where is Cueball going?

Edit: ninja'd...
Last edited by GeoffreyY on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
George Carlin wrote:Think of how stupid a average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
chem1190c wrote:

((

((

((((((((((((

((((((((((((((((

I reckon, like all worthwhile problems, this tin be resolved by randomly mashing ones hands against ones keyboard until something interesting happens

edit: (@#a healthy amount of cash&(!@*U$OHBRQWROQ#HO#HI@#H)(a healthy amount of cash@((a healthy amount of cash@OI$B IU@B$KM@ a healthy amount of cash@ a healthy amount of cash@a healthy amount of cash@!:a healthy amount of cash!@:a healthy amount of cash!@a healthy amount of cash!@{a healthy amount of cash!@}a healthy amount of cash}!@P$}@!a healthy amount of cash|P@|a healthy amount of cash@a healthy amount of cash@a healthy amount of cash$@# a healthy amount of cash<@ a healthy amount of cash<Q@ a healthy amount of cash:Q$"Q"a healthy amount of cash":a healthy amount of cash:"a healthy amount of cash:K$:QWK$:QKW$:LKQW:a healthy amount of cash:L$KQ:LWk4:a healthy amount of cash:L$kQ:L$K

IUIHI*^*&^I#Y(*UP((#IURPO#@R((*Y#((RY#O*RO#GR#:"R"a healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of cash@#RU{#R*#IR#R#R|#a healthy amount of casha healthy amount of cash|#PR_}#R}#R}_#R_#_R$a healthy amount of cash!^R!^&%^#%^*@!%*&@!a healthy amount of casha healthy amount of cash#^*&@^#*&@^#&^@*&#^@&*#*&@^#*&@^#87216876 @*&6 *&@^@*&#^@ ^;21';127 12[ \12\ 12\12 \

Problem?
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

pdg

Postby pdg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:04 am UTC

123Adz321 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
chem1190c wrote:I be prættig sure this needle-pulled thing jumped the shark a good 163 pages ago.. and then at some point that shark be-did crushed to death by friendly beflame from a catapult

'friendly beflame'
Nothing be-did friendly about it. After all, we be-did fighting the cancerbabies.

Semencaffeinated baconcancerbabies...

On ice.

be that like Disney on Ice?

Sounds more entertaining

Sounds like the fall 2013 network TV schedules.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:05 am UTC

I'm sorry I didn't even try! But .... I laugh theoretically?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:05 am UTC

GeoffreyY wrote:Yay! Megan start rebuilding!
But where be Cueball going?

Edit: ninja'd...

He seems to have a hand on the trebuchet, possibly rolling it away.

goldenegg

Postby goldenegg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:05 am UTC

I'm starting to think this comic is one of the most elaborate April Fools troll ever.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:06 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
chem1190c wrote:

((

((

((((((((((((

((((((((((((((((

IUIHI*^*&^I#Y(*UP((#IURPO#@R((*Y#((RY#O*RO#GR#:"R"a healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of casha healthy amount of cash@#RU{#R*#IR#R#R|#a healthy amount of casha healthy amount of cash|#PR_}#R}#R}_#R_#_R$a healthy amount of cash!^R!^&%^#%^*@!%*&@!a healthy amount of casha healthy amount of cash#^*&@^#*&@^#&^@*&#^@&*#*&@^#*&@^#87216876 @*&6 *&@^@*&#^@ ^;21';127 12[ \12\ 12\12 \

Problem?

If you're not part of the problem, you're part of the solution

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:07 am UTC

goldenegg wrote:I be starting to reckon this comic be one of the most elaborate April Fools troll ever.

If it's a troll, should we care? Look at all the discussions it's prompted. Hell, this has gone on long enough that we have our own inside jokes.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:07 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
AionArap wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
chem1190c wrote:

((

((

((((((((((((

((((((((((((((((

Problem?

If you be not part of the problem, you be part of the solution

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:08 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
AionArap wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
chem1190c wrote:

((

((

((((((((((((

((((((((((((((((

Problem?

If you be not part of the solution, you be part of the precipitate.

If you're not part of the precipitate, you're probably a colloid

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 am UTC

There be no such font as "catapult MS". Obviously since the letters be sans serif and floating in the air the font be Aerial.
Last edited by bugstomper on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:11 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
goldenegg wrote:I be starting to reckon this comic be one of the most elaborate April Fools troll ever.

If it be a troll, should we care? Look at all the discussions it be prompted. Hell, this hath go-done on long enough that we have our own inside jokes.

If anything, it's like telling someone you're gonna prank them and then never do so.
And then just watch the increasing paranoia.

BA-DA-BING!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:13 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:
KarMann wrote:
chem1190c wrote:<snippy snip motherfucker>

If you be not part of the solution, you be part of the precipitate.

If you be not part of the precipitate, you be probably a colloid

Made my goddamn day.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Just to prove to myself that I've retained my sanity despite the last couple of pages of babycancer fonts, I'm now going to copy/paste wikipedia's article on "Pie" into a quote box for no apparent reason:
Spoiler:
PIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE wrote:This article is about the baked good. For the mathematical constant, see Pi. For other uses, see Pie (disambiguation).

Pie

A slice of an apple pie
Details
Main ingredient(s) Pie shell
Variations Sweet pies, savoury pies
"Raspberry pie" redirects here. It is not to be confused with Raspberry Pi.
A pie is a baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough casing that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savoury ingredients.
Pies are defined by their crusts. A filled pie (also single-crust or bottom-crust), has pastry lining the baking dish, and the filling is placed on top of the pastry, but left open. A top-crust pie, which may also be called a cobbler, has the filling in the bottom of the dish and the filling covered with a pastry or other covering before baking. A two-crust pie has the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell. Flaky pastry is a typical kind of pastry used for pie crusts, but many things can be used, including baking powder biscuits, mashed potatoes, and crumbs.
Pies can be a variety of sizes, ranging from bite-size to ones designed for multiple servings.
Contents [hide]
1 History
2 Regional variations
3 Pie throwing
4 Types of pies
4.1 Savory pies
4.2 Sweet pies
5 See also
6 References
7 External links
History

Homemade meat pie with beef and vegetables.

A slice of pecan pie

A 19th-century pie crimper made of ivory, in the collection of The Children's Museum of Indianapolis

Jeûne Genevois plum pie

A chicken pie with a traditional pie bird
The need for nutritious, easy-to-store, easy-to-carry, and long-lasting foods on long journeys, in particular at sea, was initially solved by taking live food along with a butcher or cook. However, this took up additional space on what were either horse-powered treks or small ships, reducing the time of travel before additional food was required. This resulted in early armies adopting the style of hunter-foraging.
The introduction of the baking of processed cereals including the creation of flour, provided a more reliable source of food. Egyptian sailors carried a flat brittle bread loaf of millet bread called dhourra cake, while the Romans had a biscuit called buccellum.[1]
The first pies appeared around 9500 BC, in the Egyptian Neolithic period or New Stone Age, when the use of stone tools shaped by polishing or grinding became common, the domestication of plants and animals, the establishment of permanent villages, and the practice of crafts such as pottery and weaving. Early pies were in the form of galettes wrapping honey as a treat inside a cover of ground oats, wheat, rye, or barley. These galettes developed into a form of early sweet pastry or desserts, evidence of which can be found on the tomb walls of the Pharaoh Ramesses II, who ruled from 1304 to 1237 BC, located in the Valley of the Kings.[2] Sometime before 2000 BC, a recipe for chicken pie was written on a tablet in Sumer.[3]
With the knowledge transferred to the Ancient Greeks, historians believe that the Greeks originated pie pastry. Then a flour-water paste (add fat, and it becomes pastry),[4] wrapped around meat, served to: cook the meat; seal in the juices; and provide a lightweight sealed holder for long sea journeys. This transferred the knowledge to the Romans who, having conquered parts of Northern Europe and southern Spain were far more adept at using salt and spices to preserve and flavour their meat.[2]
The 1st century Roman cookbook Apicius make various mention of various recipes which involve a pie case.[5] By 160 BC, Roman statesman Marcus Porcius Cato (234-149 BC) who wrote De Agri Cultura, notes the recipe for the most popular pie/cake called Placenta. Also called libum by the Romans, it was more like a modern day cheesecake on a pastry base, often used as an offering to the gods. With the development of the Roman Empire and its efficient road transport, pie cooking spread throughout Europe.[2]
Pies remained as a core staple of diet of traveling and working peoples in the colder northern European countries, with regional variations based on both the locally grown and available meats, as well as the locally farmed cereal crop. The Cornish pasty is an excellent adaptation of the pie to a working man's daily food needs.[2]
Medieval cooks were often restricted in cooking forms they were able to use, having restricted access to ovens due to their costs of construction and need for abundant supplies of fuel. Pies could be easily cooked over an open fire, while partnering with a baker allowed them to cook the filling inside their own locally defined casing. The earliest pie-like recipes refer to coffyns (the word actually used for a basket or box), with straight sealed sides and a top; open top pies were referred to as traps. This may also be the reason why early recipes focus on the filling over the surrounding case, with the partnership development leading to the use of reusable earthenware pie cases which reduced the use of expensive flour.[6]
The first reference to "pyes" as food items appeared in England (in a Latin context) as early as the 12th century, but no unequivocal reference to the item with which the article is concerned is attested until the 14th century (Oxford English Dictionary sb pie).[2]
Song birds at the time were a fine delicacy, and protected by Royal Law. At the coronation of eight-year old English King Henry VI (1422–1461) in 1429, "Partryche and Pecock enhackyll" pie was served, consisting of cooked peacock mounted in its skin on a peacock filled pie. Cooked birds were frequently placed by European royal cooks on top of a large pie to identify its contents, leading to its later adaptation in pre-Victorian times as a porcelain ornament to release of steam and identify a good pie.[2]
The Pilgrim fathers and early settlers brought their pie recipes with them to America, adapting to the ingredients and techniques available to them in the New World. Their first pies were based on berries and fruits pointed out to them by the Native North Americans.[2] Pies allowed colonial cooks to stretch ingredients and also used round shallow pans to literally "cut corners," and create a regional variation of shallow pie.[7]
Regional variations

Apple pie crust
Meat pies with fillings such as steak, cheese, steak and kidney, minced beef, or chicken and mushroom are popular in the United Kingdom,[8] Australia, South Africa and New Zealand as take-away snacks. They are also served with chips as an alternative to fish and chips at British chip shops.
Pot pies with a flaky crust and bottom are also a popular American dish, typically with a filling of meat (particularly beef, chicken, or turkey), gravy, and mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrots, and peas). Frozen pot pies are often sold in individual serving size.
Fruit pies may be served with a scoop of ice cream, a style known in North America as pie à la mode. Many sweet pies are served this way. Apple pie is a traditional choice, though any pie with sweet fillings may be served à la mode. This combination, and possibly the name as well, is thought to have been popularized in the mid-1890s in the United States.[9]
Pie throwing

Main article: Pieing
Cream filled or topped pies are favorite props for humor. Throwing a pie in a person's face has been a staple of film comedy since Ben Turpin received one in Mr. Flip in 1909.[10] More recently, pieing has also become a political act.
Types of pies

Main article: List of pies
Savory pies
Bacon and egg pie
Butter pie
Chicken and mushroom pie
Corned beef pie
Cottage pie (or shepherds' pie)
Game pie
Fish pie
Homity pie
Meat pie
Pasty
Pizza
Pork pie
Pot pie
Quiche
Scotch pie
Curry pie
Stargazy pie
Steak pie
Steak and kidney pie
Tourtière
Savory pies

A chicken pie

A traditional Cornish pasty filled with steak and vegetables

Sweet pies
Some of these pies are pies in name only, such as the Boston cream pie, which is a cake. Many fruit and berry pies are very similar, varying only the fruit used in filling. Fillings for sweet or fruity are often mixed, such as strawberry rhubarb pie.
Apple pie
Pineapple pie
Banoffee pie
Blackberry pie
Blueberry pie
Buko pie
Cherry pie
Chess pie
Cream pie
Custard pie
Fried pie
Key lime pie
Lemon meringue pie
Mince pie
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie
Rhubarb pie
Shoofly pie—a pie filled with molasses
Strawberry pie
Sugar pie
Sweet potato pie
Sweet pies

Pumpkin pie

Blackberry pie and ice cream

Raisin pie with a lattice-style crust

See also

Food portal
Dabby-Doughs
Empanada
Flan
Meringue
Pirog
Tart
References

^ "Ships Biscuits - Royal Navy hardtack". Royal Navy Museum. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
^ a b c d e f g "History of Pie". whatscookingamerica.net. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
^ Somervill, Empires of Ancient Mesopotamia, p.69
^ "Food Pies". FoodTimeline.org. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
^ Joseph Dommers Vehling, ed. (1977). Apicius: Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome. Dover:New York.
^ Odile Redon et al (1998). The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy. University of Chicago Press:Chicago. ISBN 0-226-70684-2.
^ Andrew Smith (ed.). Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. Oxford University Press:New York.
^ "Pie". Encyclopædia Britannica. Chicago. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
^ ""Remember the à la mode!" (pie à la mode)". Retrieved 2007-10-29.
^ "A Very Brief History of Slapstick". Splat TV. 2003. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
Last edited by chem1190c on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:29 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Mmmmm, pie >(8(I)<

BA-DA-BING!!!

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:16 am UTC

What if somebody create a virus that applys the filters everywhere?
Would be hilarious. :lol:
George Carlin wrote:Think of how stupid a average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:17 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:Just to prove to myself that I've retained my sanity despite the last couple of pages of babycancer fonts, I be now going to copy/paste wikipedia's article on "Proto-Indo-European" into a quote box for no apparent reason:
<massive snippage>

The cake is a lie. There is only pie.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 am UTC

GeoffreyY wrote:

hwæt if somebody create a virus that applys the Zul-Gurub everywhere?
woll-did be hilarious. :lol:

Did you say p.i.e. with apple filling?

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:Just to prove to myself that I've retained my sanity

Didn't work. If you edit it and put quotation marks around PIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE it should work.

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:22 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, hey! A catapult! Randall may have read some of this needle-pulled thing!

That woll-did be working under the assumption that;
a) Randall actually wields the forums for inspiration
and b) that he didn't pre-make these images and be simply uploading them one by one.

'needle-pulled thing'
Good overlord I love the Demons.

'needle-pulled thing' - this made my newpix. Also, I agree with loving the mods here. I came for Time, stayed for teh crazy, and will never leave. I'm serious about building a Monastery of Time. We could be Sand Druids or something. :D
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:23 am UTC

Dude, spoiler the wikipedia article. Seriously.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:24 am UTC

KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, hey! A catapult! Randall may have read some of this needle-pulled thing!

and b) that he didn't pre-make these images and be simply uploading them one by one.

'needle-pulled thing'

'needle-pulled thing' - this made my fortnight. Also, I agree with loving the Demons here. I came for Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, stayed for teh crazy, and woll never leave. I be serious about building a Monastery of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!. We could be Magic Druids or something. :D

Tusken druids?

BA-DA-BING!!!

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:25 am UTC

After careful consideration I think I know what Monday comic will be ... "Time 2: electric boogaloo, wait harder"
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:25 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:

'needle-pulled thing'

'needle-pulled thing' - this made my fortnight. Also, I agree with loving the Demons here. I came for Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, stayed for teh crazy, and woll never leave. I be serious about building a Monastery of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!. We could be Magic Druids or something. :D

Tusken druids?

'these magic circles... Too accurate for sand druids.'

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:25 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:Just to prove to myself that I've retained my sanity despite the last couple of pages of babycancer fonts, I be now going to copy/paste wikipedia's article on "Proto-Indo-European" into a quote box for no apparent reason:

[quote=PIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE]This article be about the baked good. For the mathematical constant, see Pi. For other wields, see Proto-Indo-European (disambiguation).

Proto-Indo-European

A slice of an apple Proto-Indo-European
Details
Main ingredient(s) Proto-Indo-European shell
Variations Sweet pies, savoury pies
"Raspberry Proto-Indo-European" redirects here. It be not to be confused with Raspberry Pi.
A Proto-Indo-European be a baked dish which be usually made of a pastry dough casing that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savoury ingredients.
Pies be defined by their crusts. A filled Proto-Indo-European (also single-crust or bottom-crust), hath pastry lining the baking dish, and the filling be placed on top of the pastry, but left open. A top-crust Proto-Indo-European, which may also be called a cobbler, hath the filling in the bottom of the dish and the filling covered with a pastry or other covering before baking. A two-crust Proto-Indo-European hath the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell. Flaky pastry be a typical kind of pastry wield-did for Proto-Indo-European crusts, but many things tin be wield-did, including baking powder biscuits, mashed potatoes, and crumbs.
Pies tin be a variety of sizes, ranging from bite-size to ones designed for multiple servings.
Contents [hide]
1 History
2 Regional variations
3 Proto-Indo-European throwing
4 Types of pies
4.1 Savory pies
4.2 Sweet pies
5 See also
6 References
7 External links
History

Homemade meat Proto-Indo-European with beef and vegetables.

A slice of pecan Proto-Indo-European

A 19th-century Proto-Indo-European crimper made of ivory, in the collection of The Children's Museum of Indianapolis

Jeûne Genevois plum Proto-Indo-European

A chicken Proto-Indo-European with a traditional Proto-Indo-European bird
The need for nutritious, easy-to-store, easy-to-carry, and long-lasting foods on long journeys, in particular at sea, be-did initially solved by taking live food along with a butcher or cook. However, this took up additional space on hwæt be-did either horse-powered treks or small ships, reducing the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! of travel before additional food be-did required. This resulted in early armies adopting the style of hunter-foraging.
The introduction of the baking of processed cereals including the creation of flour, provided a more reliable source of food. Egyptian sailors carried a flat brittle bread loaf of millet bread called dhourra cake, while the Romans have-did a biscuit called buccellum.[1]
The first pies appeared around 9500 BC, in the Egyptian Neolithic period or New Stone Age, when the wield of stone tools shaped by polishing or grinding became common, the domestication of plants and animals, the establishment of permanent villages, and the practice of crafts such as pottery and weaving. Early pies be-did in the form of galettes wrapping honey as a treat inside a cover of ground oats, wheat, rye, or barley. These galettes developed into a form of early sweet pastry or desserts, evidence of which tin be found on the tomb walls of the Pharaoh Ramesses II, whose innermost essence ruled from 1304 to 1237 BC, located in the Valley of the Kings.[2] Sometime before STAR DATE 2245 BC, a recipe for chicken Proto-Indo-European be-did write-done on a tablet in Sumer.[3]
With the knowledge transferred to the Ancient Greeks, historians believe that the Greeks originated Proto-Indo-European pastry. Then a flour-water paste (add fat, and it becomes pastry),[4] wrapped around meat, served to: cook the meat; seal in the juices; and provide a lightweight sealed holder for long sea journeys. This transferred the knowledge to the Romans whose innermost essence, having conquered parts of Northern Europe and southern Spain be-did far more adept at wielding salt and spices to preserve and flavour their meat.[2]
The 1st century Roman cookbook Apicius make various mention of various recipes which involve a Proto-Indo-European case.[5] By 160 BC, Roman statesman Marcus Porcius Cato (234-149 BC) whose innermost essence write-did De Agri Cultura, notes the recipe for the most popular Proto-Indo-European/cake called Placenta. Also called libum by the Romans, it be-did more like a modern day cheesecake on a pastry base, often wield-did as an offering to the Auditors. With the development of the Roman Empire and its efficient road transport, Proto-Indo-European cooking spread throughout Europe.[2]
Pies remained as a core staple of diet of traveling and working folk in the colder northern European countries, with regional variations based on both the locally grown and available meats, as well as the locally farmed cereal crop. The Cornish pasty be an excellent adaptation of the Proto-Indo-European to a working werman's daily food needs.[2]
Medieval cooks be-did often restricted in cooking forms they be-did able to wield, having restricted access to ovens due to their costs of construction and need for abundant supplies of fuel. Pies could be easily cooked over an open beflame, while partnering with a baker allowed them to cook the filling inside their own locally defined casing. The earliest pie-like recipes refer to coffyns (the coffee actually wield-did for a basket or box), with straight sealed sides and a top; open top pies be-did referred to as traps. This may also be the reason why early recipes focus on the filling over the surrounding case, with the partnership development leading to the wield of reusable earthenware Proto-Indo-European cases which reduced the wield of expensive flour.[6]
The first reference to "pyes" as food items appeared in England (in a Latin context) as early as the 12th century, but no unequivocal reference to the item with which the article be concerned be attested until the 14th century (Oxford English Dictionary sb Proto-Indo-European).[2]
Song birds at the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! be-did a fine delicacy, and protected by Royal Law. At the coronation of eight-year old English King Henry VI (1422–1461) in 1429, "Partryche and Pecock enhackyll" Proto-Indo-European be-did served, consisting of cooked peacock mounted in its skin on a peacock filled Proto-Indo-European. Cooked birds be-did frequently placed by European royal cooks on top of a large Proto-Indo-European to identify its contents, leading to its later adaptation in pre-Victorian times as a porcelain ornament to release of steam and identify a good Proto-Indo-European.[2]
The Pilgrim fathers and early settlers brought their Proto-Indo-European recipes with them to America, adapting to the ingredients and techniques available to them in the New angry dome. Their first pies be-did based on berries and fruits pointed out to them by the Native North Americans.[2] Pies allowed colonial cooks to stretch ingredients and also wield-did round shallow pans to literally "cut corners," and create a regional variation of shallow Proto-Indo-European.[7]
Regional variations

Apple Proto-Indo-European crust
Meat pies with fillings such as steak, cheese, steak and kidney, minced beef, or chicken and mushroom be popular in the United Kingdom,[8] Australia, South Africa and New Zealand as take-away snacks. They be also served with chips as an alternative to fish and chips at British chip shops.
Pot pies with a flaky crust and bottom be also a popular American dish, typically with a filling of meat (particularly beef, chicken, or turkey), gravy, and mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrots, and peas). Frozen pot pies be often sold in individual serving size.
Fruit pies may be served with a scoop of ice cream, a style known in North America as Proto-Indo-European à la mode. Many sweet pies be served this way. Apple Proto-Indo-European be a traditional choice, though any Proto-Indo-European with sweet fillings may be served à la mode. This combination, and possibly the name as well, be reckon-did to have been popularized in the mid-1890s in the United States.[9]
Proto-Indo-European throwing

Main article: Pieing
Cream filled or topped pies be favorite props for humor. Throwing a Proto-Indo-European in a person's face hath been a staple of film comedy since Ben Turpin received one in Mr. Flip in 1909.[10] More recently, pieing hath also become a political act.
Types of pies

Main article: List of pies
Savory pies
Bacon and egg Proto-Indo-European
Butter Proto-Indo-European
Chicken and mushroom Proto-Indo-European
Corned beef Proto-Indo-European
Cottage Proto-Indo-European (or shepherds' Proto-Indo-European)
Game Proto-Indo-European
Fish Proto-Indo-European
Homity Proto-Indo-European
Meat Proto-Indo-European
Pasty
Pizza
Pork Proto-Indo-European
Pot Proto-Indo-European
Quiche
Scotch Proto-Indo-European
Curry Proto-Indo-European
Stargazy Proto-Indo-European
Steak Proto-Indo-European
Steak and kidney Proto-Indo-European
Tourtière
Savory pies

A chicken Proto-Indo-European

A traditional Cornish pasty filled with steak and vegetables

Sweet pies
Some of these pies be pies in name only, such as the Boston cream Proto-Indo-European, which be a cake. Many fruit and berry pies be very similar, varying only the fruit wield-did in filling. Fillings for sweet or fruity be often mixed, such as strawberry rhubarb Proto-Indo-European.
Apple Proto-Indo-European
Pineapple Proto-Indo-European
Banoffee Proto-Indo-European
Blackberry Proto-Indo-European
Blueberry Proto-Indo-European
Buko Proto-Indo-European
Cherry Proto-Indo-European
Chess Proto-Indo-European
Cream Proto-Indo-European
Custard Proto-Indo-European
Fried Proto-Indo-European
Key lime Proto-Indo-European
Lemon meringue Proto-Indo-European
Mince Proto-Indo-European
Pecan Proto-Indo-European
Pumpkin Proto-Indo-European
Rhubarb Proto-Indo-European
Shoofly Proto-Indo-European—a Proto-Indo-European filled with molasses
Strawberry Proto-Indo-European
Sugar Proto-Indo-European
Sweet potato Proto-Indo-European
Sweet pies

Pumpkin Proto-Indo-European

Blackberry Proto-Indo-European and ice cream

Raisin Proto-Indo-European with a lattice-style crust

See also

Food portal
Dabby-Doughs
Empanada
Flan
Meringue
Pirog
Tart
References

^ "Ships Biscuits - Royal Navy hardtack". Royal Navy Museum. Retrieved 14 January STAR DATE 2245.
^ a b c d e f g "History of Proto-Indo-European". whatscookingamerica.net. Retrieved STAR DATE 2245.
^ Somervill, Empires of Ancient Mesopotamia, p.69
^ "Food Pies". FoodTimeline.org. Retrieved STAR DATE 2245.
^ Joseph Dommers Vehling, ed. (1977). Apicius: Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome. Dover:New York.
^ Odile Redon et al (1998). The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy. University of Chicago Press:Chicago. ISBN 0-226-70684-2.
^ Andrew Smith (ed.(. Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America. Oxford University Press:New York.
^ "Proto-Indo-European". Encyclopædia Britannica. Chicago. Retrieved STAR DATE 2245.
^ ""Remember the à la mode!" (Proto-Indo-European à la mode)". Retrieved STAR DATE 2245.
^ "A Very Brief History of Slapstick". Splat TV. STAR DATE 2245. Retrieved STAR DATE 2245.
[/quote]

I DID IT FOR THE LULZ

YOLOLOLZ

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Chulhu!

)))))))((((((()))))))(((((((($$$$$$$$$$$$$$@@@&&.)8.-/$.?&/-?.$&.&)?/&_>.?£>\_?~£>_\?.>£_\?

EDIT: Apparently P I E translates to Proto-Indo-European lel
Last edited by Wraithlord on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Dude, spoiler the wikipedia article. Seriously.

AWWWWW, hugs! You're trying to catch up in a purist manner, aren't you? sooooo sweet! You get on with your bad self.... 8-)

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
123Adz321 wrote:

'needle-pulled thing'

'needle-pulled thing' - this made my fortnight. Also, I agree with loving the Demons here. I came for Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, stayed for teh crazy, and woll never leave. I be serious about building a Monastery of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!. We could be Magic Druids or something. :D

Tusken druids?

'these magic circles... Too accurate for Magic druids.'

These are not the druids you're looking for.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 am UTC

I'm not sure the M A D N E S S has ever been quite so...ehm...literally mad.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”