1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

patzer

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 am UTC

]
chem1190c wrote:Just to prove to myself that I've retained my sanity despite the last couple of pages of babycancer fonts, I be now going to copy/paste wikipedia's article on "Proto-Indo-European" into a quote box for no apparent reason:

<snip this proto-indo-european bullshit>

I DID IT FOR THE LULZ

YOLOLOLZ

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Chulhu!

[/quote]
Though reading 'Proto-Indo-European' that many times was kinda fun, spoiler this please. It's waay too damn long.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:32 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:31 am UTC

Oh, yeah:
Spoiler:

Edit: ninjaed again
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:34 am UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:I be not sure the M A D N E S S hath ever been quite so...ehm...literally RECKONED.

I have a feeling we are far from reaching bottom.
I mean Megan just started building, she is fast unlike that snail Cueball, I reckon a few of y'all good folks will stay awake to see what happens.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:34 am UTC

So, what's Cueball up to out of frame this time? It doesn't look like he's doing something with the trebuchet, unless maybe fetching ammo for it.

A cow, maybe? A large wooden rabbit?
Last edited by KarMann on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:34 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:
Dark Avorian wrote:I be not sure the M A D N E S S hath ever been quite so...ehm...literally reckon-did.

I have a feeling we be far from reaching bottom.
I mean Megan just started building, she be fast unlike that snail Cueball, I reckon a few of y'all good folks woll stay awake to see hwæt happens.

Friday night, no reason to hallucinocoma

No reason at all

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:35 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Dude, spoiler the wikipedia article. Seriously.

AWWWWW, platonic squeezes! you be trying to catch up in a purist manner, be not you? sooooo sweet! You get on with your bad self.... 8-)

WAIT - does "spoiler" now mean "hide" and/or "save space" and/or "spare others the details of which they don't really care"??? Where on earth --I mean NewPixLand-- have I been?

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:35 am UTC

Hey Guiz, I haz an adea for a mastur trollz! Let's copy Wikipedia articles into the forum's editing and then copy the changed articles back into Wikipedia!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:36 am UTC

Megan continues to rebuild the destroyed.
Where on Earth is Cueball? Is there yet another part of the castle?
George Carlin wrote:Think of how stupid a average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:36 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

AWWWWW, platonic squeezes! you be trying to catch up in a purist manner, be not you? sooooo sweet! You get on with your bad self.... 8-)

WAIT - doth "spoiler" now mean "hide" and/or "save space" and/or "spare others the details of which they don't really care"??? Where on earth --I mean NewPixLand-- have I been?

It means to put it in spoiler tags to hide it unless you click on it to view it.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:37 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

WAIT - doth "spoiler" now mean "hide" and/or "save space" and/or "spare others the details of which they don't really care"??? Where on earth --I mean NewPixLand-- have I been?

Spoiler:
Last edited by KarMann on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:44 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:37 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:Hey Guiz, I haz an adea for a mastur trollz! Let's copy Wikipedia articles into the forum's editing and then copy the changed articles back into Wikipedia!

Sure you'll get banned on wiki.
George Carlin wrote:Think of how stupid a average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:37 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Friday night, no reason to hallucinocoma

No reason at all

absolutely none.

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

in this case, save space. I think there's something about walls of text.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:38 am UTC

I can't keep up with this. Today is going to be filled with too many outsider commitments.

If the vote for pope is held within the next 24 timeframes,
I VOTE FOR WHOEVER peewee_RotA VOTES FOR as it was he who ordained me as Cardinal.
If peewee_RotA doesn't vote, I vote for him.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 am UTC

KarMann wrote:So, hwæt's Cueball up to out of frame this Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!? It doth not look like he be doing something with the catapult, unless maybe fetching ammo for it.

A cow, maybe? A large wooden rabbit?

I bet it's the aforementioned SCBCBOI
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

It means to put it in spoiler tags to hide it unless you click on it to view it.

Yah -- but once upon a time it meant "about to giveaway plot details you might not want to know, or other stuff that might distress you or something." Right"?

boozledorf

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby boozledorf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:41 am UTC

In all seriousness, though, what's the deal with the filters?

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:42 am UTC

Actually do we really need a pope? I'll go for community-base.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:42 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Yah -- but once upon a Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! it meant "about to giveaway plot details you may-did not want to ken, or other stuff that may-did distress you or something." Right"?

it still means that.. we are just misusing the spoiler tags to avoid walltext thingys

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:42 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Yah -- but once upon a Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! it meant "about to giveaway plot details you may-did not want to ken, or other stuff that may-did distress you or something." Right"?

</madness>
OK, kidding about car parts aside, yes, but the tag that was designed to hide such spoilers until you take an action to see them is also the easiest way to hide things that you might want hidden for other reasons, like size or redundancy. So, that's how they get used here.
<madness>
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:43 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Sounds like a fairytale to me.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:43 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:In all seriousness, though, hwæt's the deal with the Zul-Gurub?

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Madness

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:43 am UTC

It's that time of year again. Check the calendars. There is a wonderful holiday approachin' and not the one with the creepy rodent.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:44 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:In all seriousness, though, hwæt's the deal with the Zul-Gurub?

Dude/tte, go to the wiki http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Madness. It's the Reckoning, the M.a.d.n.e.s.s viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101106.
Kay?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:46 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Yah -- but once upon a Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! it meant "about to giveaway plot details you may-did not want to ken, or other stuff that may-did distress you or something." Right"?

</RECKONING>
all correct, kidding about car parts aside, yes, but the tag that be-did designed to hide such spoilers until you take an action to see them be also the easiest way to hide things that you may-did want hidden for other reasons, like size or redundancy. So, that be how they get wield-did here.
<RECKONING>

*pouts,* well that's just stupid. It's a misuse of spoiler-ed-ness. SPOILER-ABUSE! SPOILER-ABUSE!

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:46 am UTC

Because we haven't had one in a long time

Spoiler:
Every time i see the word bump my head plays this HORRIBLE NSFW SONG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMFsJiAcELY

A bump of the important parts of this small sequence of programmed instructions
Please continue Bumping

Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/Things%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245,%STAR%20DATE%202245!.png[/img]
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:[img]http://primis.org/Things%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245,%STAR%20DATE%202245!/output.gif[/img]
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!(:
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers tin take it):
Wiki
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:47 am UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:it be that Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! of year again. Check the calendars. There be a wonderful holiday approachin' and not the one with the creepy rodent.

Lagomorph! Not rodent; you're thinking of Christmas, when you have those big rodents with the antlers pulling the sleigh.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 am UTC

diego5wh wrote: (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers tin take it)

Wait... Tin? Can't we write can now?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Yah -- but once upon a Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! it meant "about to giveaway plot details you may-did not want to ken, or other stuff that may-did distress you or something." Right"?

</RECKONING>
all correct, kidding about car parts aside, yes, but the tag that be-did designed to hide such spoilers until you take an action to see them be also the easiest way to hide things that you may-did want hidden for other reasons, like size or redundancy. So, that be how they get wield-did here.
<RECKONING>

*pouts,* well that be just stupid. it be a misuse of spoiler-ed-ness. SPOILER-ABUSE! SPOILER-ABUSE!

BA-DA-BING!!!

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:50 am UTC

I hate to ask a stupid question but did they accidentally trebuchet themselves few newpix ago?
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:50 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

</RECKONING>
<RECKONING>

*pouts,* well that be just stupid. it be a misuse of spoiler-ed-ness. SPOILER-ABUSE! SPOILER-ABUSE!

Yes, it did occur to me in writing that that it's much like the difference between the old days of using HTML to make things look the way you want, and the newer way of using HTML to indicate what you mean, and CSS to make it look right. This use of spoilers being akin to the old HTML way, of course.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:50 am UTC

patzer wrote:
diego5wh wrote: (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers tin take it)

Wait... Tin? tin't we write tin now?

I quoted that thing to make it easier, I clearly didn't proof read..

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:50 am UTC

swey wrote:I hate to ask a stupid question but did they accidentally catapult themselves few fortnight ago?

They came pretty close.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:51 am UTC

patzer wrote:

Wait... Tin? tin't we write tin now?

I suppose we tinnot until we tinunderstand thee RECKONING.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Chulhu!
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Actually I'm confused by the filters. It seems sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. :|

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:52 am UTC

swey wrote:I hate to ask a stupid question but did they accidentally catapult themselves few fortnight ago?

That sounds way more awesome that it should.. *Megan and cueball fly above the castle and land in the ocean of coffecancerbabies*

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:52 am UTC

GeoffreyY wrote:Actually I be confused by the Zul-Gurub. It seems sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. :|

The Zul-Gurub work when they please, they have equal opportunity employment.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Chulhu!
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:55 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

</RECKONING>
<RECKONING>

Good point. The one I posted was just a spoiler; you went beyond the call, and showed us spoiler abuse.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Checked few times. Nope.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:59 am UTC

New comic frame in 1 boing!
Last edited by Helper on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”