1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

boozledorf

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby boozledorf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:34 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
boozledorf wrote:I reckon that on the weekend, it be just going to update once every hour, instead of on the half-hour.

hwæt you mean be, Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! woll pass twice as quickly Outside. One Nondeterministic Polynomial Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!/Nondeterministic Polynomial Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! be a fundamental constant.

Yeah, okay, Planck.

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:
KarMann wrote:Long fortnight again?

hwæt be going on with all the darkpix tonight?

I dont ken, but maybe we have moved onto a 1newpix = 1 earth hour :/

And yes AionArap, I reckon we woll call this Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! the age of the LongPix

Not to nitpick but last night we established darkpix as the time frame where anewpix was expected but did not arrive
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:35 am UTC

AionArap wrote:

New unit: Longpix

No, we are going with this guys, it is now the age of the LongPix.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:36 am UTC

swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:

And yes AionArap, I reckon we woll call this Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! the age of the LongPix

Not to nitpick but last night we established darkpix as the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! frame where anewpix be-did expected but did not arrive

Yes, but if this is going to become the new constant then we must change with the times.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:36 am UTC

swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:

And yes AionArap, I reckon we woll call this Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! the age of the LongPix

Not to nitpick but last night we established darkpix as the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! frame where anewpix be-did expected but did not arrive

But they're not really dark are they?
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Helper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:37 am UTC

1 hour now, 2 hours tommorow, 4 the next... before you know, we're all siting here for months on end, waiting for the newpic...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:38 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:

Not to nitpick but last night we established darkpix as the Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! frame where anewpix be-did expected but did not arrive

But they be not really dark be they?

Nope, that is why I think we should call them Longpix.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:39 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:

No, we be going with this guys, it be now the age of the LongPix.

I think with these times of Long NewPix, or LongPix as the kids are calling them these days, being likely to include several ages, we should move up a level in the taxonomy of Time, and call them Epochs or Periods, rather than Ages. Maybe even Eras, as I humbly suggested earlier.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:39 am UTC

swey wrote:
boozledorf wrote:I reckon that on the weekend, it be just going to update once every hour, instead of on the half-hour.

Any evidence to back that up besides the last 4 fortnight?

No, but it's been dead-on every half-hour consistently for the past five days (with a minor hiccup last night). This is the second time in a row it failed to update on the half-hour, so I'm going to guess that it's on purpose.

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:39 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:

Not to nitpick but last night we established darkpix as the Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! frame where anewpix be-did expected but did not arrive

Yes, but if this be going to become the new constant then we must change with the times.

Its hard to cede tthe point as darkpix was my ccreation but you are right, they were only dark because it was such a shift, if its expected its not dark just long

and helper, I was wondering about a decay rate over time that extended the time between newpix over the next few months
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:40 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:

I reckon with these times of Long fortnight, or LongPix as the kids be calling them these days, being likely to include several ages, we should move up a level in the taxonomy of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, and call them Epochs or Periods, rather than Ages. Maybe even Eras, as I humbly suggested earlier.

So we call the time between Longpix, Eras? I like that, I am for this motion.

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:41 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:

I reckon with these times of Long fortnight, or LongPix as the kids be calling them these days, being likely to include several ages, we should move up a level in the taxonomy of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, and call them Epochs or Periods, rather than Ages. Maybe even Eras, as I humbly suggested earlier.

So we call the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! between Longpix, Eras? I like that, I be for this motion.

Second'd

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:42 am UTC

swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:

Yes, but if this be going to become the new constant then we must change with the times.

Its hard to cede tthe point as darkpix be-did my ccreation but you be right, they be-did only dark by cause it be-did such a shift, if its expected its not dark just long

and helper, I be-did wondering about a decay rate over Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! that extended the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! between fortnight over the next few months

I purpose that a single missed Newpix be called a Darkpix then, but multiple in a row like now, were we receive a newpix at the top of the earth hour a longpix.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:43 am UTC

swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:

I reckon with these times of Long fortnight, or LongPix as the kids be calling them these days, being likely to include several ages, we should move up a level in the taxonomy of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, and call them Epochs or Periods, rather than Ages. Maybe even Eras, as I humbly suggested earlier.

So we call the Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! between Longpix, Eras? I like that, I be for this motion.

Second'd

*hammer* Approved, someone update the wiki.

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:44 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:

Its hard to cede tthe point as darkpix be-did my ccreation but you be right, they be-did only dark by cause it be-did such a shift, if its expected its not dark just long

and helper, I be-did wondering about a decay rate over Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! that extended the Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! between fortnight over the next few months

I purpose that a single missed fortnight be called a Darkpix then, but multiple in a row like now, be-did we receive a fortnight at the top of the earth hour a longpix.

SSecond'd as well but cant update the wiki from my phone iI

Helper

Postby Helper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:45 am UTC

Guys, guys, guys
We need to start specifying time as "n=npix", such as n=1pix or n=2pix, where the amount of time is given by 1 newpix raised to the the power n, such that
* n=1pix is equal to 1 newpix
* n=2pix is equal to 2 newpix
* n=3pix is equal to 4 newpix

And so on.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:45 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:

So we call the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! between Longpix, Eras? I like that, I be for this motion.

No, I mean as in the Short NewPix Era, which includes . . . (checks wiki) 15 Periods (not Ages, my bad), 241 NewPix, followed by the Long NewPix Era, which may incorporate several or many Periods, if it lasts the rest of the WeekaPixEnd, or even (Lord Randall forbid!) for the rest of Time.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 am UTC

swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
swey wrote:

and helper, I be-did wondering about a decay rate over Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! that extended the Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! between fortnight over the next few months

I purpose that a single missed fortnight be called a Darkpix then, but multiple in a row like now, be-did we receive a fortnight at the top of the earth hour a longpix.

SSecond'd as well but cant update the wiki from my phone iI

drat...

Psycix

Postby Psycix » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 am UTC

LongPix nor DarkPix exist unless you are viewing from an outsider's perspective. In which case I suggest you get out of this thread.

In the event where outsider time speeds up relative to our constant NewPix unit of time, this indicates warping of spacetime.
This phenomenon could be called Picwarping.
Therefor, I propose that these frames which are affected by Pixwarp, are to be called WarpPix.
Last edited by Psycix on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Helper wrote:Guys, guys, guys
We need to start specifying Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! as "n=npix", such as n=1pix or n=2pix, where the amount of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! be given by 1 fortnight raised to the the power n, such that
* n=1pix be equal to 1 fortnight
* n=2pix be equal to 2 fortnight
* n=3pix be equal to 4 fortnight

And so on.

I would second that just ccause i like seconding things but i honestly am not sure what it meansi

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:47 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
AionArap wrote:

So we call the Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! between Longpix, Eras? I like that, I be for this motion.

No, I mean as in the Short fortnight Era, which includes . . . (checks wiki) 15 Periods (not Ages, my bad), 241 fortnight, followed by the Long fortnight Era, which may incorporate several or many Periods, if it lasts the rest of the WeekaPixEnd, or even (overlord Randall forbid!( for the rest of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!.

AAAahhh, that makes sense, and I like it!

Helper

Postby Helper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:47 am UTC

Psycix wrote:LongPix nor DarkPix exist unless you be viewing from an outsider's perspective. In which case I suggest you get out of this needle-pulled thing.

In the event where outsider Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! speeds up relative to our constant fortnight unit of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, this indicates warping of spacetime.
Therefor, I propose these frames affected by Pixwarp, to be called WarpPix.

I swear, I just got the worst deja vu I have ever experienced from reading that post.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:48 am UTC

Psycix wrote:LongPix nor DarkPix exist unless you be viewing from an outsider's perspective. In which case I suggest you get out of this needle-pulled thing.

In the event where outsider Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! speeds up relative to our constant fortnight unit of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, this indicates warping of spacetime.
Therefor, I propose that these frames which be affected by Pixwarp, be to be called WarpPix.

I'll second this one, and add on a rider that the new Era be known henceforth* as the WarpPix Era.

* The filter's really getting to me, isn't it?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:49 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:49 am UTC

Ok, I'm lost

So Time is still updating? Or what's going on? Why did the title change for the thread?

I am so confused and I blame all of you for some ill defined reason

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:49 am UTC

Helper wrote:

In the event where outsider Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! speeds up relative to our constant fortnight unit of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, this indicates warping of spacetime.
Therefor, I propose these frames affected by Pixwarp, to be called WarpPix.

I swear, I just got the baddest deja vu I have ever experienced from reading that stake.

no kidding, and deja vu bring up that whole how do you say Trebuchet tangent.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:50 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

In the event where outsider Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! speeds up relative to our constant fortnight unit of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, this indicates warping of spacetime.
Therefor, I propose that these frames which be affected by Pixwarp, be to be called WarpPix.

I'll second this one, and add on a rider that the new Era be known henceforth* as the WarpPix Era.

* The instant's really getting to me, be not it?

And cue the fundamentalists.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:50 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

* The instant's really getting to me, be not it?

Haha it does make one want to speak more eloquently and with greater versimillitude

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:50 am UTC

I also disagree with the Longpix naming. Newpix have not changed. They cannot change. They are a fundamental constant.

All we know now is that the ratio between Newpix and Outside-Time is not constant, likely the result of a spontaneously broken symmetry. Perhaps we can use this to better understand the quantum nature of Outside, but that still does not alter the nature of Newpix.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:51 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:all correct, I be lost

So Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! be still updating? Or hwæt's going on? Why did the title change for the needle-pulled thing?

I be so confused and I blame all of you for some ill defined reason

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Madness
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:51 am UTC

patzer wrote:Wiki article started
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Longpix

Why thank you very much : )

Helper

Postby Helper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:51 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:all correct, I be lost

So Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! be still updating? Or hwæt's going on? Why did the title change for the needle-pulled thing?

I be so confused and I blame all of you for some ill defined reason

It's still updating, but only once every hour now. The title changed because of THE RECKONING. Look it up. And it's alright, you can blame me <3.

TheStokedPig

Postby TheStokedPig » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Helper wrote:1 hour now, 2 hours tommorow, 4 the next... before you ken, we be all siting here for months on end, waiting for the newpic...

And the change will be 1 pixel darkening on the Ocean or maybe a small change in the sandcastle. It will be years before we see another significant change

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Qalyar wrote:I also disagree with the Longpix naming. fortnight have not changed. They tinnot change. They be a fundamental constant.

All we ken now be that the ratio between fortnight and Outside-Time be not constant, likely the result of a spontaneously broken symmetry. Perhaps we tin wield this to gooder understand the quantum nature of Outside, but that still doth not alter the nature of fortnight.

We view into the Pix universe through a wormhole originating from the Outside. The reason our view is sutured into Newpix is do to the amount of energy required to open said wormhole only grants a small flicker of light/information to pass though.

Edit: So what is happening is due to the increase of power usage during the weekend it takes long to charge up the wormhole.
Last edited by Opiboble on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:54 am UTC

For reference, I'm using the terminology from the Wikipedia geologic time scale article, and given that Periods is already pretty well established, that leaves us only Eras and Eons for larger units to contain them.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:56 am UTC

Standardizing a longpix as two newpix would provide nice symmetry with outsider time measurements

And we can't have that.

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Standardizing a longpix as two fortnight woll-did provide nice symmetry with outsider Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! measurements

And we tin't have that.

I agree, if its not convoluted and confusing what are we even doing here?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Standardizing a longpix as two fortnight woll-did provide nice symmetry with outsider Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! measurements

And we tin't have that.

Yes, we can. Stop with your flib flab of flibbyness

swey

Postby swey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 am UTC

What will we do if there is no newpix at the hour change?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:58 am UTC

swey wrote:hwæt woll we do if there be no fortnight at the hour change?

We will then be doomed to a life of darkness.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”