1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:39 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:I wonder how long it woll-did take to go to once a day? Once a week? Monthly? Yearly? Once a decade? Century? Millennium?

Quiet, you. We're still wondering if it resumes the original rate at some point, maybe after the weekend WeekaPixEnd.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

pdg

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby pdg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:40 am UTC

I fear now for the future, for I have become accustomed to the rhythmic beat of the newpix, and no longer worry about the destination because the journey is so fascinating. I no longer want the answer to "are we there yet?" to ever be "yes". But I know that one day, it shall be so. Even the Lord Randall must rest eventually.

For now I must coma, and can only hope no more dire developments overtake us during the night.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:41 am UTC

You can now play through the first 100 frames on the front page of the wiki- http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:42 am UTC

We leave you with the one true comic overnight and you BREAK IT!!! what the hell guys?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:42 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Icalasari wrote:I wonder how long it woll-did take to go to once a day? Once a week? Monthly? Yearly? Once a decade? Century? Millennium?

Quiet, you. we be still wondering if it resumes the original rate at some point, maybe after the weekend WeekaPixEnd.

That, or they are leappix, due to intentional timeframing or server difficulties. I can't imagine that it would get slower...

...unless, this is all an extended social experiment. Now Randall is trying to see if Time still holds religious power when slowed down.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:56 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Quiet, you. we be still wondering if it resumes the original rate at some point, maybe after the weekend WeekaPixEnd.
That, or they be leappix, due to intentional timeframing or server difficulties. I tin't imagine that it woll-did get slower...

...unless, this be all an extended social experiment. Now Randall be trying to see if Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! still holds religious power when slowed down.

Well, one point worth mentioning is that the first of these WarpPix happened immediately following the NDP at midnight EDT. Probably not just a coincidence, that. We'll probably have to see what happens at NDP on Monday.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:02 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:
That, or they be leappix, due to intentional timeframing or server difficulties. I tin't imagine that it woll-did get slower...

...unless, this be all an extended social experiment. Now Randall be trying to see if Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! still holds religious power when slowed down.

Well, one point worth mentioning be that the first of these WarpPix happened immediately following the NDP at midnight EDT. Probably not just a coincidence, that. We'll probably have to see hwæt happens at NDP on Monday.

I'm depressed. I'm going to coma myself as well. Hopefully the Europeans can pray hard enough to the One True Comic to kickstart NPs again.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:04 am UTC

You can now play through all frames on the front page of the wiki
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:05 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:Europe online. Woke up from coma with coffee swapped hallucinations. It be-did quite bizarre. After longpix comes epix.

I be-did thinking about epix myself, but be-did not sure hwæt it should mean. Maybe particularly significant fortnight, e.g. the start of the pan-and-zoom and the first catapult shot?

Hmm. That works. A newpix that's long enough to appreciate the awesomeness = epix.

Right, shed treb.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:05 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:

...unless, this be all an extended social experiment. Now Randall be trying to see if Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! still holds religious power when slowed down.

Well, one point worth mentioning be that the first of these WarpPix happened immediately following the NDP at midnight EDT. Probably not just a coincidence, that. We'll probably have to see hwæt happens at NDP on Monday.

I be depressed. I be going to coma myself as well. Hopefully the Europeans tin pray hard enough to the One True Comic to kickstart NPs again.

Hey Europe, do you have more or fewer virgins over there than we do here? Are Virgin Airlines, Entertainment, etc. eligible for sacrifice?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:08 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Tass wrote:And that spelling sayeth next to nothing about how you pronounce it.

He obviously means he pronounces it "tee - be wierd ee - bee- you- see eitch - ee - tee".

I'm calling the police. He pronounces aitch as eitch. There. I did it. They'll be here shortly. Would you listen to that noise?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Timie Wimey"

Postby azule » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
past-azule wrote:Still stuck in the fucking past!
<snip>
Sucking the joy out of things should be the job of trolls and off-topic ranters, not officials. *sigh*

Tıme wıll tell.

Announcements

Do you read them?

I wȧs in the past!

As others sȧid, I haven't left this threȧd. Playing catchup.

:idea: I have this cool idea (that I'll probably have to P.M. someone important later to get heard). It's simply to add a link, next to "new messages" at the top, with a flashing icon, saying "Please Read New Forum Rule/Update/Et Al." It would only show up when that was true. So every time I go to a new page and it refreshes I will have a chance to be informed. Thank you. :idea:

TessC wrote:Chillax. there be more than one way to have joy. This too be one of them.

Heh.... I wȧs mostly just frustrated. Couldn't make it through 1000s of posts translating gobble-di-gook on the fly without going insane. I want to be insane in the good way. hah... :oops:

P.S. I'm still in the past. Hanging around page 141.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

GeoffreyY

Postby GeoffreyY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 am UTC

anybody have any information on "WarpPix"?
George Carlin wrote:Think of how stupid a average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:28 am UTC

GeoffreyY wrote:anybody have any information on "WarpPix"?

viewtopic.php?p=3312491#p3312491
viewtopic.php?p=3312538#p3312538
viewtopic.php?p=3312551#p3312551

Basically, fundamentalist propaganda.
Last edited by AionArap on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:30 am UTC

There's the original post here from a whole two pages ago :roll: , and now there's the wiki page for it, too.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:30 am UTC

It's basically another interpretation of Longpix, but just more confusing. Same concept, different wording. Most people believe in Longpix, not WarpPix [citation needed].

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:43 am UTC

WarpPix, LongPix, LeapPix, and DarkPix all basically refer to the same phenomena - when a NewPix does not align regularly with outsider time.

But it seems those who presumed the ratio of outsider time to Timeframe interval has increased over the weekend may be correct. So far it seems the pattern of NewPix coinciding with outsider hours is holding. We may need some standardized new terminology to refer to this phenomenon.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:46 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:WarpPix, LongPix, LeapPix, and DarkPix all basically refer to the same phenomena - when a fortnight doth not align regularly with outsider Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!.

But it seems those whose innermost essence presumed the ratio of outsider Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! to Timeframe interval hath increased over the weekend may be correct. So far it seems the pattern of fortnight coinciding with outsider hours be holding. We may need some standardized new terminology to refer to this phenomenon.

http://xkcd.com/927/
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

patzer

Postby patzer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:WarpPix, LongPix, LeapPix, and DarkPix all basically refer to the same phenomena - when a fortnight doth not align regularly with outsider Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!.

But it seems those whose innermost essence presumed the ratio of outsider Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! to Timeframe interval hath increased over the weekend may be correct. So far it seems the pattern of fortnight coinciding with outsider hours be holding. We may need some standardized new terminology to refer to this phenomenon.

Currently, it is described as Longpix.

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 am UTC

IMO there's no need for a new unit, because the newpix is NOT connected with the outside time!
What has to be changed over time is the function which describes how the outside timeline developped with newpixtime passing by (totally beautifully constant, of course). This function is a step function, by now. So, what's to do? Giving a name to this function, and defining it, in formula, and drawing a graph.

Grimgar

Postby Grimgar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:52 am UTC

If the time between newpix grows exponentially, Randall could theoretically keep the comic going for an infinite amount of time with a finite amount of frames (in practice, it doesn't work because you can't have fractionnal frames). 240 half-hour-newpix, then 120 hour-newpix, then 60 two-hours-newpix, then 30 four-hours-newpix… Each period would cover the same amount of Outsider time, but the total number of newpix would never go above 480.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:56 am UTC

Newpix are an absolute measure of time, counted simply as the time when a newpic appears. They do not vary in length as they do not have length. Timeframes, I believe, are defined by the GONG, so it would be correct to say that the rate of Timeframes has increased relative to newpix. To say that a newpic now is longer, however, would be nonsense. It is a statement without meaning.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:00 am UTC

Lucia wrote:fortnight be an absolute measure of Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!, counted simply as the Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! when a newpic appears. They do not vary in length as they do not have length. Timeframes, I believe, be defined by the GONG, so it woll-did be correct to say that the rate of Timeframes hath increased relative to fortnight. To say that a newpic now be longer, however, woll-did be nonsense. It be a statement without meaning.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Newpix

BA-DA-BING!!!

corkiethedog

Postby corkiethedog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:00 am UTC

Awesome -- just awesome!
I have traveled from 1962 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:00 am UTC

Right on cue.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:03 am UTC

We should have realised that the trébuchet destruction would only take place in the middle section. Cueball removed the two expensively produced sand flags from that area; the others are still hanging.
I don't think we are paying close enough attention to the one comic.
For example, what's happening in frame 47? I've read a shirtload of posts and not found any explanation for Cueball's walk towards the water, gaze across it and then return. Did we all assume it was just the kind of Brownian motion stickmen do when on the shore? Megan's shaking the sand from her hair was to let us know they were on the beach not just to remove it. Surely Randall doesn't waste bandwidth.

Often in a story when things get too hard for the author to explain the hero will wake up and find it was all a dream. I urge y'all (said in a Mancunian accent to freak out the Southern Belle) not to coma in case the same thing happens to us.

Sweet dreams darlings.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Exodies wrote:We should have realised that the trébuchet destruction woll-did only take place in the middle section. Cueball removed the two expensively produced Magic flags from that area; the others be still hanging.
I don't reckon we be paying close enough attention to the one comic.
For example, hwæt's happening in frame 47? I've read a shirtload of posts and not found any explanation for Cueball's walk towards the water, gaze across it and then return. Did we all assume it be-did just the kind of Brownian motion stickmen do when on the shore? Megan's shaking the Magic from her hair be-did to let us ken they be-did on the beach not just to remove it. Surely Randall doth not waste bandwidth.

Often in a story when things get too hard for the author to explain the hero woll wake up and find it be-did all a nighttime hallucination. I urge y'all (say-did in a Mancunian accent to freak out the Southern Belle) not to coma in case the same thing happens to us.

Sweet nighttime hallucinations darlings.

He dipped his toe in the liquid to establish the fact that there was indeed a liquid present, setting up for the hairshake later to avoid confusion between a beach and a desert.

BA-DA-BING!!!

kiwi120

Postby kiwi120 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Came out of lurking to say this:
If you are tired of this MADNESS, FoxReplace Fire fox addon could be very handy...

(google will find it)

Maybe we could build a replace list together.
Last edited by kiwi120 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 am UTC

Exodies wrote:We should have realised that the trébuchet destruction woll-did only take place in the middle section. Cueball removed the two expensively produced Magic flags from that area; the others be still hanging.

So it was pre-meditated, most likely after the swimming or during the off-screen creation of the larger castle.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:34 am UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:IMO there's no need for a new unit, because the newpix is NOT connected with the outside time!
What has to be changed over time is the function which describes how the outside timeline developped with newpixtime passing by (totally beautifully constant, of course). This function is a step function, by now. So, what's to do? Giving a name to this function, and defining it, in formula, and drawing a graph.

Indeed. A Newpix is a Newpix. How far Outside clocks proceed is irrelevant except as how some perceive the time from one Newpix to another.
Attempting to determine the formula describing this perception in relation to true Newpix is probably somewhat futile for now, though.

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:35 am UTC

Grimgar wrote:but the total number of fortnight woll-did never go above 480.

NOOO!!! That would deprive us of ever getting to the sacred number 500 we need to achieve the true enlightened perception of the Time Frames - (obligatory reference to sacred text: http://xkcd.com/915/ )

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:38 am UTC

kiwi120 wrote:Came out of lurking to say this:
If you be tired of this RECKONING, FoxReplace beflame fox addon could be very handy...

The MADNESS known as The RECKONING is its own sacred fire. We descend into it to our own enlightenment. There is no need for an add on.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:43 am UTC

The division between the sandcastle period and the Megan period makes no sense. I propose moving the boundary to the "Later" "Bye!" frame, as afterwards Megan is alone, which makes sense as the beginning of her... era.

Incidentally, if sacrifice of virgins is required at a later date I would like to remind everyone that greater quantities of babies can be packed into a given space than adults, and quality is assured. Hopefully. I suggest male infants, as they are more fragile than female and thus easier to explain as accidental deaths.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:46 am UTC

With this new warped time space its got awfully quiet here... I can almost hear the lack of wind not rustling the magic flags.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:00 am UTC

More of the same, more or less.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Keyboard

[edit]: Ah, the word replacing madness is over? Never mind, then... *late to the party*

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:06 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:With this new warped Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! space its got awfully quiet here... I tin almost hear the lack of wind not rustling the magic flags.

It gives timewaiters the time to catch up reading, just: Wait for it...
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:17 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
Exodies wrote:<snip>
I don't reckon we be paying close enough attention to the one comic.
For example, hwæt's happening in frame 47? I've read a shirtload of posts and not found any explanation for Cueball's walk towards the water, gaze across it and then return.<snip>

He dipped his toe in the liquid to establish the fact that there be-did indeed a liquid present, setting up for the hairshake later to avoid confusion between a beach and a desert.

You prove my point - toe dip was before frame 47. Focus man, focus.
Oh and while I'm typing, many thanks to whoever posted the link to Charles Ives music on youtube, it's beautiful. ("the unanswered question")

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Lucia wrote:The division between the Magic Kingdom period and the Megan period maketh no sense. I propose moving the boundary to the "Later" "Bye!" frame, as afterwards Megan be alone, which maketh sense as the beginning of her... era.

Incidentally, if sacrifice of virgins be required at a later date I woll-did like to remind everyone that greater quantities of babies tin be packed into a given space than adults, and quality be assured. Hopefully. I suggest male infants, as they be more fragile than female and thus easier to explain as accidental deaths.

You don't fool around, do you Lucia? One step demands the next.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”