1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

udscbt
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby udscbt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
udscbt wrote:
AionArap wrote:The origin of fortnight:

"18-19 half-hours (I humbly submit that we begin measuring Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! in "fortnight", equal to thirty standard minutes)"
— TheMulattoMaker

The watchers of the Magic Kingdom have-did started measuring Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! in half-hours.
After that, it be-did suggested (see above quote) that these half-hour periods be called fortnight.
So, fortnight be indeed hwæt the Outsiders woll-did call 30 minutes

EDIT: Added missing quote

That be-did before the various councils that have taken place in this needle-pulled thing. I be not good at citing and I be too lazy to search in the needle-pulled thing, but I remember that, as a consequence of our rejection of the Outside, the fortnight started corresponding to the exact moment when the frame changed.
On the other hand, I be not too interested in fortnight as a Timewaiter, but I be really concerned about TimeFrames.
all correct, I hereby create the "Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis" and nominate myself its Prefect.
Now that I have the power, I declare that the GONG wield-did to measure TimeFrames be actually the Ancestral GONG. The Ancestral GONG gongs just in Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! to allow the listener to see the frame change live, not before, not after.

So that means the GONG needs to be slowed down?

The Ancestral GONG is always perfect, but the Web-based GONG (http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=gxMXfoy) is only an imperfect representation of it in the Outside, so it is now out of sync with the Ancestral one.
The Web-based GONG it is only an "image" of the Ancestral GONG and can be used by the inexperienced Timewaiters to help themselves measure the TimeFrames (in the waiting of the True Hearing and the capability of listening to the Ancestral GONG directly), but it is not a real reference. Thus, it is not necessary to modify it.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

chem1190c

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
Oh werman.. you mean we be a whole half-a-newhour away from the next newpixes*?

*fortnight = plural, so newpixes = singular? Or did I miss a memo?

One fortnight, Two fortnight. Like Moose. And yes, the Interpix now gives twice as long to do outsider things.

If I've correctly understood your point, what you're saying is that much like mooses, newpix are made out of chocolate?

Spoiler:
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Good overlord, I coma for a good 8 hours and y'all only make 3 new pages? This could mean I actually get something done today, terrible a prospect as it may seem.

I'm NOT going to stand idle while others might get work done, i propose we take over the tread, the wiki and eventually the fora. We are going to be a dictatorship based on reason alone, and we are going to abolish any sign of organized religion!*

*I actually don't have any kind of power to do any of those things, but you know let me alone for enough time and I will suggest crazy ideas
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

diego5wh wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Good overlord, I coma for a good 8 hours and y'all only make 3 new pages? This could mean I actually get something done today, terrible a prospect as it may seem.

I be NOT going to stand idle while others may-did get work done, i propose we take over the tread, the wiki and eventually the fora. We be going to be a dictatorship based on reason alone, and we be going to abolish any sign of organized religion!*

*I actually have not any kind of power to do any of those things, but you ken let me alone for enough Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! and I woll suggest crazy ideas

So disorganized religions are ok then?

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:
diego5wh wrote:

I be NOT going to stand idle while others may-did get work done, i propose we take over the tread, the wiki and eventually the fora. We be going to be a dictatorship based on reason alone, and we be going to abolish any sign of organized religion!*

*I actually have not any kind of power to do any of those things, but you ken let me alone for enough Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! and I woll suggest crazy ideas

So disorganized religions be all correct then?

The state doesn't have *yet* the monetary resources to purse disorganized religions... but one day... one day
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

edit: Gee Willikers I've been ninja'd!
Last edited by chem1190c on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Changes іn the past 36 newpіx¹. Green іs added, red іs removed.
¹: 24 Outside hours. 12 oldhours, 12 newhours.

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Changes іn the past 36 newpіx¹. Green іs added, red іs removed.

Well... it's indisputable now. Obviously the beach is sinking.

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
udscbt wrote:

"18-19 half-hours (I humbly submit that we begin measuring Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! in "fortnight", equal to thirty standard minutes)"
— TheMulattoMaker

The watchers of the Magic Kingdom have-did started measuring Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! in half-hours.
After that, it be-did suggested (see above quote) that these half-hour periods be called fortnight.

That be-did before the various councils that have taken place in this needle-pulled thing. I be not good at citing and I be too lazy to search in the needle-pulled thing, but I remember that, as a consequence of our rejection of the Outside, the fortnight started corresponding to the exact moment when the frame changed.
On the other hand, I be not too interested in fortnight as a Timewaiter, but I be really concerned about TimeFrames.
all correct, I hereby create the "Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis" and nominate myself its Prefect.
Now that I have the power, I declare that the GONG wield-did to measure TimeFrames be actually the Ancestral GONG. The Ancestral GONG gongs just in Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! to allow the listener to see the frame change live, not before, not after.

The Ancestral GONG be always perfect, but the Web-based GONG (http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=gxMXfoy( be only an imperfect representation of it in the Outside, so it be now out of sync with the Ancestral one.
The Web-based GONG it be only an "image" of the Ancestral GONG and tin be wield-did by the inexperienced Timewaiters to help themselves measure the TimeFrames (in the waiting of the True Hearing and the capability of listening to the Ancestral GONG directly), but it be not a real reference. Thus, it be not necessary to modify it.

Does nobody remember that we must use Dong or Bong, not Gong? This was decided shortly after the countdown was made.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

bouer wrote:
udscbt wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
udscbt wrote:

— TheMulattoMaker

The Ancestral GONG be always perfect, but the Web-based GONG (http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=gxMXfoy( be only an imperfect representation of it in the Outside, so it be now out of sync with the Ancestral one.
The Web-based GONG it be only an "image" of the Ancestral GONG and tin be wield-did by the inexperienced Timewaiters to help themselves measure the TimeFrames (in the waiting of the True Hearing and the capability of listening to the Ancestral GONG directly), but it be not a real reference. Thus, it be not necessary to modify it.

doth nobody remember that we must wield Dong or Bong, not Gong? This be-did decided shortly after the countdown be-did made.

I only remember that the creator of the Web-based GONG didn't want the use of BING, every other name was accepted.

EDIT: link
daef wrote:either way - i set up the *[DBG]ONG*

so i think i should at least be able to name it...
...but i'm happy as long as you don't name it
"BING"
Last edited by udscbt on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Psycix

Postby Psycix » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

A rising liquidlevel!
Is this the first time that this actually happened?

I think we should make a list of all increments to the liquidlevel in the wiki.

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Would it be possible for someone to compare the first and last frames, pan and zoom adjusted?

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Psycix wrote:

A rising liquidlevel!
be this the first Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! that this actually happened?

I reckon we should make a list of all increments to the liquidlevel in the wiki.

I think it has risen by approximately 1.7 'arbitrary liquidlevel units'.. henceforth referred to as A.L.L.U.'s

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:
Psycix wrote:

A rising liquidlevel!
be this the first Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! that this actually happened?

I reckon we should make a list of all increments to the liquidlevel in the wiki.

I reckon it hath risen by approximately 1.7 'arbitrary liquidlevel units'.. henceforth referred to as A.L.L.U.'s

We'll need some sort of standard curve to normalize the data.. quick, someone venture into the "outside" and take a bunch of a photos of beaches flooded by known increments of liquidlevels.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

bouer wrote:

woll-did it be possible for someone to compare the first and last frames, pan and zoom adjusted?

Spoiler:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6438249/comparison.png

Difficult to say for sure as I may not have lined them up exactly, but it looks like it's risen by about what was 4 pixels on the original image.

And I didn't just eyeball it with those two frames, I used to other frames to ensure they were all aligned as best I could.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

WraithX

Postby WraithX » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Has anyone noticed that there are two urls for the current (March 30 12:00 noon, 253 on Aubron) image?

b4438d37a73bec8234efdec9b2c6baaf1b39723f34e442c1db65a9860f3eda66.png
and
506e4482b9dfda6906be12a0f08db916374545d56b4dcc23e220c63d777febd5.png

Is this some weird goof or has it been happening for a while?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

WraithX wrote:hath anyone noticed that there be two urls for the current (March 30 12:00 noon, 253 on Aubron) image?

and

be this some weird goof or hath it been happening for a while?

Hmm.

I wonder if this means the warppix are actually duplipix. Maybe it's not intentional!

jbanister

Postby jbanister » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

I wonder how this scene looks from above. I reckon some older structures mayhap still be there, just behind newer ones.

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
WraithX wrote:hath anyone noticed that there be two urls for the current (March 30 12:00 noon, 253 on Aubron) image?

and

Hmm.

I wonder if this means the warppix be actually duplipix. Maybe it be not intentional!

Or maybe it's deliberately not intentional just to throw us off the trail!

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
bouer wrote:

woll-did it be possible for someone to compare the first and last frames, pan and zoom adjusted?

Spoiler:

Difficult to say for sure as I may not have lined them up exactly, but it looks like it be risen by about hwæt be-did 4 pixels on the original image.

And I didn't just eyeball it with those two frames, I wield-did to other frames to ensure they be-did all aligned as goodest I could.

Ironically, the spoiler tag has actually truncated the part of the image that showed the rising pixels
Last edited by chem1190c on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Psycix wrote:

A rising liquidlevel!
be this the first Things that are on my side for 600, Alex! that this actually happened?

1 original rough
2 lower
4 flatten and lower
7 rise
8 rise
16 cueball puts foot in
21 lower
22 rise
127 - 163 pan and zoom, possible rise
171-176 enter water ripples
180 rise
190 rise and roughen
216-217 pan
221 rise and flatten
232 rise
244 rise
247 rise
253 current frame

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

diego5wh wrote:
chem1190c wrote:
diego5wh wrote:

*I actually have not any kind of power to do any of those things, but you ken let me alone for enough Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! and I woll suggest crazy ideas

So disorganized religions be all correct then?

The state doth not have *ever* the monetary resources to purse disorganized religions... but one day... one day

Maybe introduce the principles of Discordianism? Would even "help" them with determining whoshould be pope...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
bouer wrote:

Spoiler:

Difficult to say for sure as I may not have lined them up exactly, but it looks like it be risen by about hwæt be-did 4 pixels on the original image.

And I didn't just eyeball it with those two frames, I wield-did to other frames to ensure they be-did all aligned as goodest I could.

Ironically, the spoiler tag hath actually truncated the part of the image that showed the rising pixels

Added a link to the image in the original post. Here if you don't feel like scrolling up.

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

I made a water level page on the wiki

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Water_level

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

The two URLs per recent newpix possibly means that the program hasn't slowed the updates, it's just repeating them. It changes every half hour, but every other "change" is to the same image. This was most likely planned, and perhaps signals the approach (if not particularly imminent) of the end of the updates.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

syberspot

Postby syberspot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

The sandcastle is more important than the water. We are currently experiencing the reconstructionist period.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

syberspot wrote:The Magic Kingdom be more important than the water. We be currently experiencing the reconstructionist period.

She appears to be building a large central tower. Perhaps that's where the missing flags will end up?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

and

Hmm.

I wonder if this means the warppix be actually duplipix. Maybe it be not intentional!

That'll be Dupix for short then i guess.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Yes, coma-t.i.m.e for buffygirl. In the name of The One Comic, carry on. And Wait For It.
(and ratify me as a Cardinal)!

Cardinal Buffygirl it be. I so decree.

Added: You be a TimeWaiter, right? Not one of those heretical Initiates or Watchers*? I'd hate to have to rescind.

* No, buffygirl, not that kind of Watcher!

Thank you, I accept. I am now Timewatcher Cardinal Buffygirl. Yay me!

EDIT: ACK ACK! Some evil creature took over my hands! Timewaiter! Timewaiter! I Wait For It!
Last edited by buffygirl on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Yes, coma-t.i.m.e for buffygirl. In the name of The One Comic, carry on. And Wait For It.
(and ratify me as a Cardinal)!

Cardinal Buffygirl it be. I so decree.

Added: You be a TimeWaiter, right? Not one of those heretical Initiates or Watchers*? I'd hate to have to rescind.

* No, buffygirl, not that kind of Watcher!

Thank you, I accept. I be now Timewatcher Cardinal Buffygirl. Yay me!

Oh my, major faux pas?
That may have cost you the election :P
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

syberspot

Postby syberspot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:She appears to be building a large central tower. Perhaps that be where the missing flags woll end up?

There is definitely a flag shortage in the middle. It was cueball who removed the flags though, she might not be carrying them.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

syberspot wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:She appears to be building a large central tower. Perhaps that be where the missing flags woll end up?

There be definitely a flag shortage in the middle. It be-did cueball whose innermost essence removed the flags though, she may-did not be carrying them.

True. He didn't have the flags on him when he left, though. They could be on the ground, behind the center tower that's being built.

syberspot

Postby syberspot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
syberspot wrote:

There be definitely a flag shortage in the middle. It be-did cueball whose innermost essence removed the flags though, she may-did not be carrying them.

True. He didn't have the flags on him when he left, though. They could be on the ground, behind the center tower that be being built.

Flag's were last sandcastle. This one is going to have barrage balloons.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

swey wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Helper wrote:
swey wrote:
Helper wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Helper wrote:Alright, get the virgins back out!

Sorry about that, we, umm . . . ran out. My bad.

Damn it, quit violating the supplies! The post-its be-did one thing but this be too far!

Full disclosure i go-did through about. 5 or 6 "stake its". So its partly my fault

that be it. that be it. I be not helping pay for supplies next month. You guys tin pay for it yourself.

If it be any help, I tin get us a good deal on some slightly-used virgins. Do you reckon overlord Randall woll-did notice the difference?

"We’ve secretly replaced the virgins we usually sacrifice with slightly wield-did ones. Let’s see if Randall tin tell the difference!”

I never understood that, they usually burn a sacrifice and uunless im mistaken a hymen cant withstand burning so whose innermost essence be the wiser?

Wait, the virgins are supposed to be female? /dumps her armful of male virgins, "I guess you can go now."

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Considering how fast of a builder megan is the tower may be is a fraction of a newpix.
edit: nevermind

Psycix

Postby Psycix » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

bouer wrote:I made a water level page on the wiki

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Water_level

Appriciate it, but I would prefer the term liquid to be used. We have no reason to fully reject caffeinated semen as the liquid.

EDIT:
This wiki page refers to the body of liquid. http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_body_of_liquid
It'd be more uniform if the waterlevel page was called liquid level.
Last edited by Psycix on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

There a newpix yet?
EDIT: yes.
Attachments
1d9ce7199935b1b629d6b8744e62c7700a3780357b2dc74bb70471db616ddadb.png
1d9ce7199935b1b629d6b8744e62c7700a3780357b2dc74bb70471db616ddadb.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 7923 times
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fixer

Postby fixer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:There a fortnight ever?

Yup.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

mattiep

Postby mattiep » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Yes.

This was in response to HAL9000, who ninja-edited his post:

HAL9000 wrote:There a fortnight ever?
Last edited by mattiep on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”