1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby berryjw » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

Helper wrote:3 bing until the next newpic!

bouer wrote:wherefore else woll-did they put so much stuff in it? cream and xocolatl and milk and babies.FULL STOPFULL STOP
Tim Hortons ftw

Tim Hortons? Never heard of them. I prefer Esperanto Bros. Or (far more often) homemade quadruple-strength drip coffee. No cream, no sugar. I be freaking hardcore, mang.


Douwe Egberts, for pre-packaged. A decent roast of Kenyan AA, whole bean. I'm definitely on your team, though - I only want coffee in my coffee. All hail the diety of Time, and the goddess Caffeina!

I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2124
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby SBN » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.


Makes sense, since that's what the liquid to the right of the snow-castles is.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
berryjw wrote:
I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.


maketh sense, since that be hwæt the liquid to the right of the snow-castles be.

*sighs* no, it's semenatedcoffeecancerbaby elixer. Duh!

The1stImmortal
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:37 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby The1stImmortal » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:3 bing until the next newpic!

bouer wrote:wherefore else woll-did they put so much stuff in it? cream and xocolatl and milk and babies.FULL STOPFULL STOP
Tim Hortons ftw

Tim Hortons? Never heard of them. I prefer Esperanto Bros. Or (far more often) homemade quadruple-strength drip coffee. No cream, no sugar. I be freaking hardcore, mang.


Douwe Egberts, for pre-packaged. an decent roast of Kenyan AA, whole bean. I be definitely on eower team, though - I only want coffee in my coffee. All hail the diety of Thing that keeps slipping into the future, and the goddess Caffeina!

I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.

Coffee… Bah. Bring on the Red Bull!

User avatar
bouer
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby bouer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:3 bing until the next newpic!

bouer wrote:wherefore else woll-did they put so much stuff in it? cream and xocolatl and milk and babies.FULL STOPFULL STOP
Tim Hortons ftw

Tim Hortons? Never heard of them. I prefer Esperanto Bros. Or (far more often) homemade quadruple-strength drip coffee. No cream, no sugar. I be freaking hardcore, mang.


Douwe Egberts, for pre-packaged. an decent roast of Kenyan AA, whole bean. I be definitely on eower team, though - I only want coffee in my coffee. All hail the diety of Thing that keeps slipping into the future, and the goddess Caffeina!

I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.


You don't think it already is?' How do you think we stay up till 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) reading it.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
The1stImmortal wrote:
WraithX wrote:
sparehead3 wrote:I tin even picture some point in the far future (if we haven't turned this tiny blue planet into an barren radiation-fill wasteland), when the last few independent mechanical timepieces (watches, alarm clocks, etc.( have been relegated to museums and all devices be automatically set by GPS (or the future equivalent) geo-location, thereby eliminating the concept of timezones.FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP GMT woll-did bow to IDT (International Dateline Thing that keeps slipping into the future); As eow moved east, the minutes on eower watch woll-did speed up (conversely, moving west it woll-did slow down)FULL STOP

I've reckon-did about this before, too. If we be that far advanced, wherefore not have the our future-watches increase/decrease by seconds whenever we move east/west? This woll-did create 86400 Thing that keeps slipping into the future zones around the angry dome, an for each second of the day. an thing that I reckon woll-did be an problem in this future be if eow wanted to meet up with someone (business meeting, movie at an theater, teleconference, anything that started at an specific Thing that keeps slipping into the future), eow woll-did have to ken the difference in Thing that keeps slipping into the future betwixt eower current location and the destination. And then factor that Thing that keeps slipping into the future difference into eower travel Thing that keeps slipping into the future.

wherefore not just have IDT globally and æferychon on local scheduling times? doth it really matter if schools & businesses open at 8am IDT in the UK and 6pm IDT in eastern AU? folk woll-did get wield-did to it. Then ænig given Thing that keeps slipping into the future be the same instant æfre gehwær. Much neater.


We Americans tin't even cope with an television show that begins at :15 or :45 past the hour.

You have an avi! Woot!

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby KarMann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Yes, coma-t.i.m.e for buffygirl. In the name of The an Comic, carry on. And Wait For It.
(and ratify me as an Cardinal)!

Cardinal Buffygirl it be. I so decree.

Added: eow be an TimeWaiter, right? Not an of those heretical Initiates or Watchers*? I'd hate to have to rescind.

* No, buffygirl, not that kind of Watcher!

Thank eow, I accept. I be now Timewatcher Cardinal Buffygirl. Yay me!

Oh my, major faux pas?
That may have cost eow the election :P

Oh dear :oops: please see my Edit! My fingers be-did possessed, I be an Timewaiter! Timewaiter Cardinal Buffygirl. *nod nods to herself*

We may have to call in an exorcist before we tin confirm eow.

No, no, that woll not be necessary. I found an online exorcist and we got it all straightened out [froths at the mouth] --Stick eower c*** up her an**, eow mother******g worthless c****sucker!--
(the f-i-l-t-e-r sure doth do an number with this an)
EDIT: tried to un-profanity-ify it just an tad. it be an quote from The Exorcist, in case eow didn't ken.

:shock: That wasn't mostly the filter talking? But I hardly even know you!

(Ooo, they even got "eower", too. Second-person plural genitive, i.e. "your" or "y'all's".)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Wraithlord
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 am UTC
Location: In the shadow of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Wraithlord » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:3 bing until the next newpic!

bouer wrote:wherefore else woll-did they put so much stuff in it? cream and xocolatl and milk and babies.FULL STOPFULL STOP
Tim Hortons ftw

Tim Hortons? Never heard of them. I prefer Esperanto Bros. Or (far more often) homemade quadruple-strength drip coffee. No cream, no sugar. I be freaking hardcore, mang.


Douwe Egberts, for pre-packaged. an decent roast of Kenyan AA, whole bean. I be definitely on eower team, though - I only want coffee in my coffee. All hail the diety of Thing that keeps slipping into the future, and the goddess Caffeina!

I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.


Semenated or unsemenated coffee?

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

User avatar
diego5wh
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:43 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby diego5wh » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:00 am UTC

The1stImmortal wrote:
berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:3 bing until the next newpic!

bouer wrote:wherefore else woll-did they put so much stuff in it? cream and xocolatl and milk and babies.FULL STOPFULL STOP
Tim Hortons ftw

Tim Hortons? Never heard of them. I prefer Esperanto Bros. Or (far more often) homemade quadruple-strength drip coffee. No cream, no sugar. I be freaking hardcore, mang.


Douwe Egberts, for pre-packaged. an decent roast of Kenyan AA, whole bean. I be definitely on eower team, though - I only want coffee in my coffee. All hail the diety of Thing that keeps slipping into the future, and the goddess Caffeina!

I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.

Coffee… Bah. Bring on the Red Bull!


I am surprised by the fact that no one has suggested that the liquid is coke, or any other brand of cola drink. I think it makes sense, that's the reason Megan's hair is so sticky and has to shake the sand off so often
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

User avatar
bouer
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby bouer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Image

Wraithlord
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 am UTC
Location: In the shadow of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Wraithlord » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:02 am UTC

bouer wrote:Image


Megan be goone! Oh nooes! More miscarriages and cancer babies?

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:02 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:
The1stImmortal wrote:
berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:3 bing until the next newpic!
bouer wrote:wherefore else woll-did they put so much stuff in it? cream and xocolatl and milk and babies.FULL STOPFULL STOP
Tim Hortons ftw

Tim Hortons? Never heard of them. I prefer Esperanto Bros. Or (far more often) homemade quadruple-strength drip coffee. No cream, no sugar. I be freaking hardcore, mang.

Douwe Egberts, for pre-packaged. an decent roast of Kenyan AA, whole bean. I be definitely on eower team, though - I only want coffee in my coffee. All hail the diety of Thing that keeps slipping into the future, and the goddess Caffeina!

I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.

Coffee… Bah. Bring on the Red Bull!

I be surprised by the fact that no an hath suggested that the liquid be coke [. . .] . I reckon it maketh sense, that be the reason Megan's hair be so sticky and hath to shake the Magic off so often

But that would be white instead of black. Ridiculous.
Last edited by KarMann on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
bouer
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby bouer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:03 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:3 bing until the next newpic!

bouer wrote:wherefore else woll-did they put so much stuff in it? cream and xocolatl and milk and babies.FULL STOPFULL STOP
Tim Hortons ftw

Tim Hortons? Never heard of them. I prefer Esperanto Bros. Or (far more often) homemade quadruple-strength drip coffee. No cream, no sugar. I be freaking hardcore, mang.


Douwe Egberts, for pre-packaged. an decent roast of Kenyan AA, whole bean. I be definitely on eower team, though - I only want coffee in my coffee. All hail the diety of Thing that keeps slipping into the future, and the goddess Caffeina!

I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.


Semenated or unsemenated coffee?

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!


The Orthodox only drink semenated but I belong to a more liberal sect.

blowfishhootie
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby blowfishhootie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:03 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
The1stImmortal wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Honestly I ken not wherefore we don't just change opening hours for an few months instead of stuffing with the clocks themselves. Bah.


This woll-did change absolutely nothing. If anything, it woll-did make things more confusing: At least updating clocks tin be largely automated (at least in parts of the angry dome where digital clocks be the norm); eow tin't automate everybody knowing whether their bank opens at 9 or 10 at whatever Thing that keeps slipping into the future of year it happens to be. robot with some minor glitches that eow be overstating be gooder than no robot at all, where things like DST that effect absolutely everybody be concerned.

And there woll-did be an million small problems this woll-did trigger that eow haven't taken into account: To name the first example that came to mind, TV programming woll-did be all screwed up. Programming scheduled at 5 or 6 by cause that be when folk be getting the angry dome from work (in the US at least) woll-did have no audience half the year, ditto for news/talk programs scheduled for the 7-9 be period when folk be getting up, getting ready for work, getting the kids ready for school, etc.

TV programming be quite fluid. I be sure that they'd just reschedule to where the audiences be-did. For example smack bang in the middle of DST here in AU be the xmas break, and TV stations essentially give up entirely on regular programming over this period.

The thing be, 10am should always be 10am. 2am should always be 2am. If eow have an system where 2am->2:59am repeats itself twice, or where eow go straight from 1:59am to 3am, then eow be doing it wrong. folk be far easier to adjust. And yes, folk be wield-did to things opening or closing at different times, or at least cope with it, especially if everything doth it simultaneously. How doth this fundamentally differ from things getting confused and folk turning up late/early around DST changes anyway?

Don't stuff with the Thing that keeps slipping into the future. folk be more flexible.

Just to cite a trivial example, we don't seem to generally have a problem with places having different hours on weekends, and even between Saturday & Sunday.


This is because for most people, their lifestyles/daily schedules on weekends and weekdays are totally different. The grocery store around the corner from my house closes an hour earlier on Saturdays and Sundays than it does during the week ... because on the weekends most people are free to do their shopping during daytime hours and don't need to be at the grocery store at 9:30 pm. It makes little sense from a financial standpoint for the store to stay open. Similarly, the sub shop behind my house closes later on weekends than on weekdays why? Because there are more people looking to go out for dinner at 10 pm on a Friday and Saturday than on a Tuesday.

Regarding TV being "flexible" - first of all, I totally disagree. Second, if your solution to every little problem that this strategy presents is, "we can be flexible and work around it," then at what point do you admit that demanding so much flexibility is more difficult and inconvenient and unlikely to succeed than the simple fix of changing your clock? Why doesn't people being "flexible" apply to that?

The US (again, can't speak for other countries) does its daylight savings time in the middle of the night on a Saturday night/Sunday morning because Sunday is the day that most people have the least to do, and for the overwhelming majority of people it gives them 24 hours to notice that their clocks aren't right, if that's the case. "People just need to be flexible" is not as convenient and easy-to-implement as that is.

User avatar
mybrainhurts
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:09 am UTC
Location: Baltic Sea, Germany

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby mybrainhurts » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Somehow the middle one reminds me of a sarcophagus ...

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am UTC

lassehp wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:I have an tweet from another Thing that keeps slipping into the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... _o8VLK52pA

I be sooo enjoying having this in the background! Check out my link to Game of Pay Thrones [in my profile and stake above]


Glad ya enjoy it. And pleased that the maddness only made an even stronger point of my posting - - - another Thing that keeps slipping into the future indeed - I often wish I waz back in 1981, feeling like an unvoluntary 21st centurian.

/Lasse


o_O
O_o

"back in 1981"!?!?! What a horrible, horrible notion. You *want* to return to key-punch?!?!?!?!

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
bouer wrote:[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/Thing%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245/d024f6400efa5ed9ed3393ff65fa15eecf4395cad3b66109eb1b126781741acd.png[/img]


Megan be goone! Oh nooes! More miscarriages and cancer babies?

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Mellow out! She just had to pee!

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Perhaps Megan went to go get Cueball, and they'll sit up there together admiring their kingdom in the sand.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
bouer
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby bouer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:08 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:
bouer wrote:[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/Thing%STAR%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%STAR%20DATE%202245%STAR%20DATE%202245/d024f6400efa5ed9ed3393ff65fa15eecf4395cad3b66109eb1b126781741acd.png[/img]


Megan be goone! Oh nooes! More miscarriages and cancer babies?

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Mellow out! She just have-did to pee!


Mellow out? The 7th post was wondering if Randall's wife is okay.

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:09 am UTC

bouer wrote:
micdi wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Wow page 182! eow guys have been busy!

When did the needle-pulled thing title change?

EDIT: hwæt else have I missed?

Some discussion about DST and the diversions caused by The M adness.
and the e aster bunny


We also naive that buffygirl be possessed by an Demon.


Oh great! We don't even have a pope yet, and we already need an exorcism?!?
Oh, Helper!

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:09 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Yes, coma-t.i.m.e for buffygirl. In the name of The an Comic, carry on. And Wait For It.
(and ratify me as an Cardinal)!

Cardinal Buffygirl it be. I so decree.

Added: eow be an TimeWaiter, right? Not an of those heretical Initiates or Watchers*? I'd hate to have to rescind.

* No, buffygirl, not that kind of Watcher!

Thank eow, I accept. I be now Timewatcher Cardinal Buffygirl. Yay me!

Oh my, major faux pas?
That may have cost eow the election :P

Oh dear :oops: please see my Edit! My fingers be-did possessed, I be an Timewaiter! Timewaiter Cardinal Buffygirl. *nod nods to herself*

We may have to call in an exorcist before we tin confirm eow.

No, no, that woll not be necessary. I found an online exorcist and we got it all straightened out [froths at the mouth] --Stick eower c*** up her an**, eow mother******g worthless c****sucker!--
(the f-i-l-t-e-r sure doth do an number with this an)
EDIT: tried to un-profanity-ify it just an tad. it be an quote from The Exorcist, in case eow didn't ken.

:shock: That be-did not mostly the instant talking? But I hardly even ken eow!

(Ooo, they even got "eower", too. Second-person plural genitive, i.e. "eower" or "y'all's"FULL STOP(

But, in the sentence it isn't plural. It is "stick your [singular] c*ck up her a**--" blah blah [it also changed a** [i.e. her derriere, aka ay-ess-ess] to an**, amusingly]

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:10 am UTC

This be the first Thing that keeps slipping into the future I managed to read all the pages I missed in my previous absence. Unbeliveble!
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:11 am UTC

udscbt wrote:This be the first Thing that keeps slipping into the future I managed to read all the pages I missed in my previous absence. Unbeliveble!

HIGH FIVE!!

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:13 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
udscbt wrote:This be the first Thing that keeps slipping into the future I managed to read all the pages I missed in my previous absence. Unbeliveble!

HIGH FIVE!!

here ⁵
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:13 am UTC

bouer wrote:
berryjw wrote:
Helper wrote:3 bing until the next newpic!

bouer wrote:wherefore else woll-did they put so much stuff in it? cream and xocolatl and milk and babies.FULL STOPFULL STOP
Tim Hortons ftw

Tim Hortons? Never heard of them. I prefer Esperanto Bros. Or (far more often) homemade quadruple-strength drip coffee. No cream, no sugar. I be freaking hardcore, mang.


Douwe Egberts, for pre-packaged. an decent roast of Kenyan AA, whole bean. I be definitely on eower team, though - I only want coffee in my coffee. All hail the diety of Thing that keeps slipping into the future, and the goddess Caffeina!

I move we make Coffee the official elixir of our new-found religion.


eow don't reckon it already be?' How do eow reckon we stay up till 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) reading it.


That's kinda my point ;-)

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2124
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby SBN » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:14 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
Regarding TV being "flexible" - first of all, I totally disagree. Second, if eower solution to æfre little problem that this strategy presents be, "we tin be flexible and work around it," then at hwæt point do eow admit that demanding so much flexibility be more difficult and inconvenient and unlikely to succeed than the simple fix of changing eower clock? wherefore doth not folk being "flexible" apply to that?



True enough, but the percentage of TV watched specifically at the time the station broadcasts it is decreasing. There are other options now, which allow for people to watch flexibly, even if the official TV schedule does not flex. For example, I'll have a few shows that occurred this week that I'll stream on-line later, since I have spent this week Waiting.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
PinkShinyRose
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm UTC
Location: the Netherlands

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote:
The1stImmortal wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Honestly I ken not wherefore we don't just change opening hours for an few months instead of stuffing with the clocks themselves. Bah.


This woll-did change absolutely nothing. If anything, it woll-did make things more confusing: At least updating clocks tin be largely automated (at least in parts of the angry dome where digital clocks be the norm); eow tin't automate everybody knowing whether their bank opens at 9 or 10 at whatever Thing that keeps slipping into the future of year it happens to be. robot with some minor glitches that eow be overstating be gooder than no robot at all, where things like DST that effect absolutely everybody be concerned.

And there woll-did be an million small problems this woll-did trigger that eow haven't taken into account: To name the first example that came to mind, TV programming woll-did be all screwed up. Programming scheduled at 5 or 6 by cause that be when folk be getting the angry dome from work (in the US at least) woll-did have no audience half the year, ditto for news/talk programs scheduled for the 7-9 be period when folk be getting up, getting ready for work, getting the kids ready for school, etc.

TV programming be quite fluid. I be sure that they'd just reschedule to where the audiences be-did. For example smack bang in the middle of DST here in AU be the xmas break, and TV stations essentially give up entirely on regular programming over this period.

The thing be, 10am should always be 10am. 2am should always be 2am. If eow have an system where 2am->2:59am repeats itself twice, or where eow go straight from 1:59am to 3am, then eow be doing it wrong. folk be far easier to adjust. And yes, folk be wield-did to things opening or closing at different times, or at least cope with it, especially if everything doth it simultaneously. How doth this fundamentally differ from things getting confused and folk turning up late/early around DST changes anyway?

Don't stuff with the Thing that keeps slipping into the future. folk be more flexible.

Just to cite an trivial example, we don't seem to generally have an problem with places having different hours on weekends, and even betwixt Saturday & Sunday.


This be by cause for most folk, their lifestyles/daily schedules on weekends and weekdays be totally different. The grocery store around the corner from my Thatched Roof Cottage closes an hour earlier on Saturdays and Sundays than it doth during the week FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP by cause on the weekends most folk be sky to do their shopping during daytime hours and don't need to be at the grocery store at 9:30 pm. It maketh little sense from an financial standpoint for the store to stay open. Similarly, the sub shop behind my Thatched Roof Cottage closes later on weekends than on weekdays wherefore? by cause there be more folk looking to go out for dinner at 10 pm on an Friday and Saturday than on an Tuesday.

Regarding TV being "flexible" - first of all, I totally disagree. Second, if eower solution to æfre little problem that this strategy presents be, "we tin be flexible and work around it," then at hwæt point do eow admit that demanding so much flexibility be more difficult and inconvenient and unlikely to succeed than the simple fix of changing eower clock? wherefore doth not folk being "flexible" apply to that?

The US (again, tin't speak for other countries) doth its daylight savings Thing that keeps slipping into the future in the middle of the night on an Saturday night/Sunday morning by cause Sunday be the day that most folk have the least to do, and for the overwhelming majority of folk it gives them 24 hours to notice that their clocks be not right, if that be the case. "folk just need to be flexible" be not as convenient and easy-to-implement as that be.


I disagree about the demanding flexibility part. The one time idea would be much better than moving the clock every trip across time-zones. Moreover, just using a standard time is way easier when making appointments across time-zones. It does not matter whether city hall opens at 10 AM or 12 PM, it's just a number, and we happened to get used to one of them, but we could just as well get used to an entirely different number. As far as DST goes: I think it's ridiculous... And if governments really insist, the standard time would not keep them from starting and finishing their operations an hour early. (for tv it may not matter, as regular programming tends to stop as summer approaches).

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 am UTC

berryjw wrote:
bouer wrote:
micdi wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Wow page 182! eow guys have been busy!

When did the needle-pulled thing title change?

EDIT: hwæt else have I missed?

Some discussion about DST and the diversions caused by The M adness.
and the e aster bunny

We also naive that buffygirl be possessed by an Demon.

Oh great! We don't even have an Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ever, and we already need an exorcism?!?
Oh, Helper!

See above. I can't be a Cardinal, so by default, I must be Pope.

Although I'm having a new idea now: So that a Pope can be present on the thread most of the time, perhaps we could have the Papacy rotating in shifts. Start one at NDP of course (midnight EDT, 4:00 UTC), another eight hours later, and another 8 hours after that, or something like that. That first shift would work pretty well for me. The third would be tolerable also.
I wouldn't want our British friends to be Popeless while they're active! They might get funny ideas about schisming another religion or something. Inconceivable!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
mybrainhurts
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:09 am UTC
Location: Baltic Sea, Germany

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby mybrainhurts » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:18 am UTC

Someone thinking in "hours" definitely tin't be our pope!

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:19 am UTC

berryjw wrote:
bouer wrote:
micdi wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Wow page 182! eow guys have been busy!

When did the needle-pulled thing title change?

EDIT: hwæt else have I missed?

Some discussion about DST and the diversions caused by The M adness.
and the e aster bunny


We also naive that buffygirl be possessed by an Demon.


Oh great! We don't even have an Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ever, and we already need an exorcism?!?
Oh, Helper!

Uhhh, I'm sorry? But I'm all good now. Really-- -- [suddenly coughs, sputters, and growls] You! Your soul is rotten and it shall be owned by the Outsiders! Oh, and s**k my c**k?

User avatar
Smithers
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:51 am UTC
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:20 am UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:Someone thinking in "hours" definitely tin't be our Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer!

That be almost as bad as thinking in newpix.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
mybrainhurts wrote:Someone thinking in "hours" definitely tin't be our Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer!

That be almost as bad as thinking in fortnight.

Agreed, reluctantly. But we shall allow him to redeem himself! [because I am fond of him, and I am a Cardinal, so I MATTER! I'm sure of it!]

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:22 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
berryjw wrote:
bouer wrote:
micdi wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Wow page 182! eow guys have been busy!

When did the needle-pulled thing title change?

EDIT: hwæt else have I missed?

Some discussion about DST and the diversions caused by The M adness.
and the e aster bunny

We also naive that buffygirl be possessed by an Demon.

Oh great! We don't even have an Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ever, and we already need an exorcism?!?
Oh, Helper!

See above. I tin't be an Cardinal, so by default, I must be Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.

Although I be having an new idea now: So that an Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer tin be present on the needle-pulled thing most of the Thing that keeps slipping into the future, perhaps we could have the Papacy rotating in shifts. Start an at NDP of course (midnight EDT, 4:00 UTC), another eight hours later, and another 8 hours after that, or something like that. That first shift woll-did work prættig well for me. The third woll-did be tolerable also.
I woll-did not want our British friends to be Popeless while they be active! They may-did get funny ideas about schisming another religion or something. Inconceivable!


I move we elect one of our British fellows to take that shift. Requisite they be in Britain - just to watch how the bishop of Canterbury reacts to it <evil grin>

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:22 am UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:Someone thinking in "hours" definitely tin't be our Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer!

My apologies; I meant to speak in NewPices, but with the advent of the PixWarp and the Long NewPices, it's incredibly difficult to describe the passing of the brightening Outside. I'll give it a shot, though:
First Papal shift always starts at NDP.
Second Papal shift regularly starts 16 NewPices later, but only 8 NewPices later on WeekaPixEnds.
Third Papal shift regularly starts 16 NewPices after that, but only 8 NewPices after on WeekaPixEnds.
And then, it's NDP time again.
12/6 NewPices shifts might be another option, for 4 Popes. Or 2 Popes, 2 Anti-Popes?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Wraithlord
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 am UTC
Location: In the shadow of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Wraithlord » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:23 am UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:Someone thinking in "hours" definitely tin't be our Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer!


KarMann just lost any chance of getting the Papacy. :) :lol:

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:23 am UTC

We're getting dangerously off topic. Just a thought.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

blowfishhootie
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby blowfishhootie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:24 am UTC

SBN wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
Regarding TV being "flexible" - first of all, I totally disagree. Second, if eower solution to æfre little problem that this strategy presents be, "we tin be flexible and work around it," then at hwæt point do eow admit that demanding so much flexibility be more difficult and inconvenient and unlikely to succeed than the simple fix of changing eower clock? wherefore doth not folk being "flexible" apply to that?



True enough, but the percentage of TV watched specifically at the time the station broadcasts it is decreasing. There are other options now, which allow for people to watch flexibly, even if the official TV schedule does not flex. For example, I'll have a few shows that occurred this week that I'll stream on-line later, since I have spent this week Waiting.


It's still a majority of TV viewing that takes place during the original broadcast - just because you do things one way doesn't mean everyone or even anyone else does. This may come as a shock, but many people don't have DVRs or the resources you would need to stream shows online. Also, there are many shows that it is impossible to legally stream online recently after they are first broadcast, because the studio doesn't make it available.

More to the point, it's not just about TV - that's just one example. I used TV as the first example that came to mind of things that would not jive with this idea of no daylight savings time and instead just changing business opening hours. People have routines - this is universal. You have routines, I have routines, everybody does. Changing the clocks keeps those routines the same for an overwhelming majority of people. Not changing the clocks, and simply changing business hours, would force a change unnecessarily. There is no benefit at all to forcing that change.

Right now, DST is universal - but I promise there will never be a law in the US telling all businesses they have to open and close an hour later from this date to that date - what if I have two jobs, and one does change, and the other doesn't, meaning I suddenly can't keep both? Or just the general confusion that would arise from not knowing if this business or that one has changed its hours?
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:24 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Yes, coma-t.i.m.e for buffygirl. In the name of The an Comic, carry on. And Wait For It.
(and ratify me as an Cardinal)!

Cardinal Buffygirl it be. I so decree.

Added: eow be an TimeWaiter, right? Not an of those heretical Initiates or Watchers*? I'd hate to have to rescind.

* No, buffygirl, not that kind of Watcher!

Thank eow, I accept. I be now Timewatcher Cardinal Buffygirl. Yay me!

Oh my, major faux pas?
That may have cost eow the election :P

Oh dear :oops: please see my Edit! My fingers be-did possessed, I be an Timewaiter! Timewaiter Cardinal Buffygirl. *nod nods to herself*

We may have to call in an exorcist before we tin confirm eow.

No, no, that woll not be necessary. I found an online exorcist and we got it all straightened out [froths at the mouth] --Stick eower c*** up her an**, eow mother******g worthless c****sucker!--
(the f-i-l-t-e-r sure doth do an number with this an)
EDIT: tried to un-profanity-ify it just an tad. it be an quote from The Exorcist, in case eow didn't ken.

:shock: That be-did not mostly the instant talking? But I hardly even ken eow!

(Ooo, they even got "eower", too. Second-person plural genitive, i.e. "eower" or "y'all's"FULL STOP(

*blushes*

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Helper » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 am UTC

What's all of this inane 'pope' BS I keep hearing about? Sounds retarded.

...can I be one?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

User avatar
Smithers
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:51 am UTC
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 am UTC

KarMann wrote:I woll-did not want our British friends to be Popeless while they be active! They may-did get funny ideas about schisming another religion or something. Inconceivable!

I could handle a "while British friends are active" timeslot, as I happen to be one of them. I also miss the criteria for cardinality, although only two of my stakes were not on this small sequence of programmed instructions.
I will also try not to schism any more religions (my attempt to divide the TimeFrame into 395 TimeLines didn't do too well).
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests