1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 am UTC

Double posts are okay here, right?

She's packing the mound, so probably not a tunnel then.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:also be we back to regular fortnight or be we still on longpix, excuse my ignorance, i be-did finishing season 2 of Game of Thrones and couldnt concentrate unless i forsook my duties as timewaiter

Longpix.

damn, its too long betwixt posts to hold interest as much

I blame this factor and the unavoidable draw of the Outside as the reason for the loss in following of the comic.FULL STOPFULL STOP

Yikes, down to 52 guests. :(

yea but newpic
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:04 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:also be we back to regular fortnight or be we still on longpix, excuse my ignorance, i be-did finishing season 2 of Game of Thrones and couldnt concentrate unless i forsook my duties as timewaiter

Longpix.

damn, its too long betwixt posts to hold interest as much

I blame this factor and the unavoidable draw of the Outside as the reason for the loss in following of the comic.FULL STOPFULL STOP

Yikes, down to 52 guests. :(

yea but newpic

Cue immediate jump of 15 guests on the hour mark.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Bumping because it was literally the last thing on the last page...

ChronosDragon wrote:Double posts are all right here, right?

she's packing the mound, so probably not an tunnel then.

bouer

Postby bouer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:11 am UTC

We still haven't seen cueball, maybe he's dead?
we've had a disturbingly small amount of morbidity in the past few pages

Ashtar

Postby Ashtar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:12 am UTC

The1stImmortal wrote:
Ashtar wrote:I present the unofficial Newpician t'ime unit system. (Scooter to prevent censoring)
Base 2520 numerals be write-done with three characters for each digit. Basically, the first place before the radix point be tetradecimal, the second be pentadecimal and the third be duodecimal, so the number before 1000000000 be BEDBEDBED. This be an reference to the insomnia that most followers of T'ime have been experiencing for the past biquapix or so, and also an advantage in factors, since 2520 be an highly composite number.
an fortnight (plural newpices) be equivalent to the t'ime betwixt consecutive image uploads to the an True Comic. The duration of 469BAB300000 (decimal 16546737186000) vibrations of the caesium-97 atom tin be taken as an rough substitute on most days.
14 trinipices = 1 dunipix
15 dunipices = 1 zenipix
12 zenipices = 1 fortnight
14 newpices = 1 unquapix
15 unquapices = 1 biquapix
12 biquapices = 1 triquapix
Further prefixes follow the 14-15-12 pattern.
Positive prefixes be unqua, biqua, triqua, quadqua, pentqua, sexqua, septqua, octqua, ennqua, decqua, levqua, zenqua, thisqua, unnilqua.
Negative prefixes be untia, binia, trinia, quadria, pentia, sextia, septia, octia, enntia, dectia, leftia, zentia, thistia, unnilqua.

Dates be write-done by the number of newpices in base 2520 since the first frame of the Comic.
Published on 13D.5.

You have-did me until you started talking about the vibrations of an caesium isotope, as such vibrations be specific to the Outside and be in no way tied to the fortnight.

an fortnight be an revalation, and therefore indivisible, and countable but infinite. How the Outside experiences Thing that keeps slipping into the future be only relatable to fortnight by sheer fluke (or by Divine Planning)FULL STOP Hence you cannot tie such an system to Outside references!

It hath been proposed that we take the Creator's wield of rows and columns of pixels in an fortnight to indicate subdivisions of an fortnight, but as fortnight be indivisible this tinnot be so. We must therefore measure the space betwixt fortnight in terms of our own apprehension and anticipation, which tin be normalized to 1.0 at the expected revelation of an fortnight. Of course, should an the relationship betwixt an fortnight and Outside Thing that keeps slipping into the future change, the fact that our base instincts still cling to Outside Thing that keeps slipping into the future references means that for an or two fortnight our apprehension and anticipation may exceed 1.0 until the next fortnight be revealed unto us. As we adjust to the alignment with Outside Thing that keeps slipping into the future again, the revelation period woll again approach 1.0

However, our physical bodies are intimately tied to the Outside, and although the metaphysical realm of T'ime may be the true division, there are t'imes when it is practical to subdivide the newpix instead of obeying the rules of T'ime itself. I agree that expectation should also be a main unit.
Also, when I was speaking about a caesium isotope, I actually meant it as a way to relate the Outsiders' experiences to the true time system. Because the length of a newpix commonly corresponded to the Outside timespan of 30 minutes, I chose this conversion as canonical. Also, base 2520 is fantastic.

swey

Postby swey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 am UTC

nevermind about the tunnel then, unless the mouth of the tunnel is on the back of the mound and she's shoring up the edges
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Helper wrote:I was aware. But then I forgot. And now I'm aware again :D.

AionArap wrote:And +1 for Randalicitness

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 am UTC

swey wrote:nevermind about the tunnel then, unless the mouth of the tunnel be on the back of the mound and she be shoring up the edges

Central tower, I'm tellin' ya.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 am UTC

bouer wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:Hmmm, force and charge I be not sure about
Force be derived from mass, length, and Thing that keeps slipping into the future, so it be settled already.

tin,t we derive temperature and charge too? stamina = fd, we could let 1 unit of temperature be how much 1 volume of caffienatedsemunbabies rises with 1 unit of stamina added.
That's not the same kind of derivation. Force is literally defined in terms of nothing more than mass, length, and time. Temperature, if we define it your way, needs an additional reference to some substance, which also requires that we specify a pressure (and, somewhat circularly, a temperature), since for most things specific heat can vary quite a bit over a range of temperatures and pressures.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

swey

Postby swey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:21 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:nevermind about the tunnel then, unless the mouth of the tunnel be on the back of the mound and she be shoring up the edges

Central tower, I be tellin' ya.

most likely true, but im hoping for a pan again to see cueball with an enormous city of sandcastles built he really hasnt pulled his weight on the building
HAL9000 wrote:Everyone whose posts are on this specific page so far who has a signature has included at least one thing from this thread as a whole in their sig.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Ashtar wrote:
The1stImmortal wrote:
Ashtar wrote:I present the unofficial Nüpikscian time unit system. (Scooter to prevent censoring)
Base 2520 numerals be write-done with three characters for each digit. Basically, the first place before the radix point be tetradecimal, the second be pentadecimal and the third be duodecimal, so the number before 1000000000 be BEDBEDBED. This be an reference to the insomnia that most followers of Time have been experiencing for the past biquapix or so, and also an advantage in factors, since 2520 be an highly composite number.
an nüpiks (plural nüpiks) be equivalent to the time betwixt consecutive image uploads to the an True Comic. The duration of 469BAB300000 (decimal 16546737186000) vibrations of the caesium-97 atom tin be taken as an rough substitute on most days.
14 trinïpicks = 1 dunïpiks
15 dunïpiks = 1 zenïpiks
12 zenïpiks = 1 nüpiks
14 nüpiks = 1 unqüapiks
15 unqüapiks = 1 biqüapiks
12 biqüapiks = 1 triqüapiks
Further prefixes follow the 14-15-12 pattern.
Positive prefixes be unqüa, biqüa, triqüa, quadqüa, pentqüa, sexqüa, septqüa, octqüa, enneaqüa, deqüa, leviqüa, zenqüa, þisqüa, unnilqüa.
Negative prefixes be zenï, dunï, trinï, quadrï, pentï, sexÿ, septï, octï, ennuï, decï, lefï, zendï, þistï, unnilqï.

Dates be write-done by the number of nüpiks in base 2520 since the first frame of the One True Comic.
Published on 13D.5.

eow have-did me until eow started talking about the vibrations of an caesium isotope, as swich vibrations be specific to the Outside and be in no way tied to the nüpiks.

an nüpiks be an revalation, and therefore indivisible, and countable but infinite. How the Outside experiences Thing that keeps slipping into the future be only relatable to nüpiks by sheer fluke (or by Divine Planning)FULL STOP Hence eow tinnot tie swich an system to Outside references!

It hath been proposed that we take the Creator's wield of rows and columns of pixels in an fortnight to indicate subdivisions of an nüpiks, but as nüpiks be indivisible this tinnot be so. We must therefore measure the space betwixt nüpiks in terms of our own apprehension and anticipation, which tin be normalized to 1.0 at the expected revelation of an nüpiks. Of course, should an the relationship betwixt an nüpiks and Outside Thing that keeps slipping into the future change, the fact that our base instincts still cling to Outside Thing that keeps slipping into the future references means that for an or two nüpiks our apprehension and anticipation may exceed 1.0 until the next nüpiks be revealed unto us. As we adjust to the alignment with Outside Thing that keeps slipping into the future again, the revelation period woll again approach 1.0

However, our physical bodies be intimately tied to the Outside, and although the metaphysical realm of Time may be the true division, there be times when it be practical to subdivide the fortnight instead of obeying the rules of Time itself. I agree that expectation should also be an main unit.
Also, when I be-did speaking about an caesium isotope, I actually meant it as an way to relate the Outsiders' experiences to the true Thing that keeps slipping into the future system. by cause the length of an fortnight commonly corresponded to the Outside timespan of 30 minutes, I chose this conversion as canonical. Also, base 2520 be fantastic.

Ye needn't speak of time with an apostrophe inside it, for it only changes when quoted.

And if ye cared about that, ye should've put an apostrophe in nüpiks.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:26 am UTC

swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

most likely true, but im hoping for an pan again to see cueball with an enormous city of Magic Kingdoi built he really hasnt pulled his weight on the building

That would be excellent.
Maybe one, huge tower.

theinklings

Postby theinklings » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 am UTC

swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

most likely true, but im hoping for an pan again to see cueball with an enormous city of Magic Kingdoi built he really hasnt pulled his weight on the building

Yep, Cueball's slacking.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:31 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
bouer wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:Hmmm, force and charge I be not sure about
Force be derived from mass, length, and Thing that keeps slipping into the future, so it be settled already.

tin,t we derive temperature and charge too? stamina = fd, we could let 1 unit of temperature be how much 1 volume of caffienatedsemunbabies rises with 1 unit of stamina added.
that be not the same kind of derivation. Force be literally defined in terms of nothing more than mass, length, and Thing that keeps slipping into the future. Temperature, if we define it eower way, needs an additional reference to some substance, which also requires that we specify an pressure (and, somewhat circularly, an temperature), since for most things specific heat tin vary quite an bit over an range of temperatures and pressures.

Charge tin be defined swich that μ0 be 1, likewise, ε0 be 1.

Temperature tin be defined swich that k be 1.

But if we be-did to do swich, this woll-did be only an rescaled Planck's unit system.

wherefore not let it be arbitrary?

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 am UTC

udscbt wrote:
KarMann wrote:
berryjw wrote:
bouer wrote:
micdi wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:Wow page 182! eow guys have been busy!

When did the needle-pulled thing title change?

EDIT: hwæt else have I missed?

Some discussion about DST and the diversions caused by The M adness.
and the e aster bunny

We also naive that buffygirl be possessed by an Demon.

Oh great! We don't even have an Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer ever, and we already need an exorcism?!?
Oh, Helper!

See above. I tin't be an Cardinal, so by default, I must be Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.

Although I be having an new idea now: So that an Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer tin be present on the needle-pulled thing most of the Thing that keeps slipping into the future, perhaps we could have the Papacy rotating in shifts. Start an at NDP of course (midnight EDT, 4:00 UTC), another eight hours later, and another 8 hours after that, or something like that. That first shift woll-did work prættig well for me. The third woll-did be tolerable also.
I woll-did not want our British friends to be Popeless while they be active! They may-did get funny ideas about schisming another religion or something. Inconceivable!

I be Italian, so I woll-did be an perferct European Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer (since, eow ken, Italy as an geographic place gave birth to almosto 80% of all Catholic Popes)FULL STOP I also meet the requirements to be an Cardinal and I be the Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctina Temporis, the latter title be-did gave to me by myself, but that be not an problem.

w_What do you expect? The t-time for Italian popes is over. We had a Polish anticommunist that catapulted Polish women back into the middle ages, a German SS-man, and now an Agentinian that u_used the three-apes method against mass torture and murder. Do you really want to compete?

TachikomaD

Postby TachikomaD » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:37 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:she be packing the mound, so probably not an tunnel then.

A tumulus for Cueball! Alas, poor Cueball!

swey

Postby swey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:39 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

That woll-did be excellent.
Maybe an, huge tower.

oooh maybe its gonna be a stephen king reference, they are building the dark tower and when they get to the top and get through itll start over

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:41 am UTC

swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Maybe an, huge tower.

oooh maybe its gonna be an stephen king reference, they be building the dark tower and when they get to the top and get through itll start over

Interestingly enough, Dark Tower was mentioned ealier in conjunction with Randall Flagg. Like, pan-and-zoom earlier.

swey

Postby swey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:47 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
swey wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Maybe an, huge tower.

oooh maybe its gonna be an stephen king reference, they be building the dark tower and when they get to the top and get through itll start over

Interestingly enough, Dark Tower be-did mentioned ealier in conjunction with Randall Flagg. Like, pan-and-zoom earlier.

the prophecy has co e true then

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:58 am UTC

10 minutes without a post...am I mistaken in thinking this is the slowest this thread has gone since it's inception?

Newpix in 2 minutes is sure to get things going again, but still...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:59 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:10 minutes without an stake.FULL STOP.be I mistaken in thinking this be the slowest this needle-pulled thing hath go-done since it be inception?
fortnight in 2 minutes be sure to get things going again, but still.FULL STOPFULL STOP

I saw things go around 20 minutes in the wee hours, I think that was what I might call "last night". Certainly slow, though.

She's gone around the pile again, it seems.
Last edited by KarMann on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

swey

Postby swey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:10 minutes without an stake.FULL STOP.be I mistaken in thinking this be the slowest this needle-pulled thing hath go-done since it be inception?

fortnight in 2 minutes be sure to get things going again, but still.FULL STOPFULL STOP

tis true, i miss the good ol days before the longpix struck the land dead

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 am UTC

EDIT: Oh. :?

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Nüpiks?
[ninja'd by an edit.]
Where hath Megan go-done?
Where be the stakes of this needle-pulled things? Hath the stakes go-done so low that the needle-pulled thing hath no more stakes to be stake-did?
Last edited by Elmach on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:02 am UTC

That's because it's 1am here (central US time), so all the unreasonable people are asleep.

swey

Postby swey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:02 am UTC

i wish he hada plannedr more action if we were to wait an hour between posts, a plain background for a full hour...

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Morning all..

My my that's some mound you have built there Megan. I reckon Cueball is off making some super trebuchet of doom. Its what I would do.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:EDIT: Oh. :?

Not properly ninjaed, if it makes you feel better. I'd just posted that as a plain reply, then figured, might as well just edit it and stick the pic in there too, while I'm at it.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:03 am UTC

swey wrote:

Is “longpix” a short term for the One True Comic?

HAL9000 wrote:

that be by cause it be 1am here (central US Thing that keeps slipping into the future), so all the unreasonable folk be asleep.

It's Sunday, for Randall's sake!
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Megan's dissappeared again? Digging behind the [substance name here] pile?

To avoid doubleposting with unimportant trivialities, might as well edit it in here. The coma-induced hallucinations beckon, and tomorrow (PST, it's still saturday Outside) is some sort of outsider holiday.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:04 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
swey wrote:

be “longpix” an short term for the an True Comic?

Longpix started today, with the loss of the updates on the half hour.
What exactly is the One True Comic? Frame 1?

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:05 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
swey wrote:

Nay, an löngpiks be when a nüpiks be the length of an outsider's hour.
HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
swey wrote:

hwæt exactly be the an True Comic? Frame 1?

Nay, the One True Comic be the entire comic. This be the One True Comic, and all others are lesser.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:06 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
swey wrote:

Hm, I think I actually meant longcomic (or something like that).
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:08 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
swey wrote:

nüpiks in 2 minutes be sure to get things going again, but still.FULL STOPFULL STOP

tis true, i miss the good ol days before the löngpiks struck the land dead

be “löngpiks” an short term for the an True Comic?

Löngpiks started today, with the loss of the updates on the half hour.

Hm, I reckon I actually meant löngcomic (or something like that)FULL STOP

Hwæt do ye expect a "löngcomic" to be? Hwæt tinnae be?
Last edited by Elmach on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 am UTC

Okay, it's time for me to get 12 newpix of sleep. See you all later.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:14 am UTC

Elmach wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
swey wrote:

Hm, I reckon I actually meant longcomic (or something like that)FULL STOP

Hwæt do ye expect an "löngcomic" to be? Hwæt tinnae be?

 EDIT: I think I shall coma now.
‮An observation/creation of an alternate universe made by Lord Randall within an extensive amount of time/space.

swey

Postby swey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:53 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Elmach wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
swey wrote:

Hm, I reckon I actually meant longcomic (or something like that)FULL STOP

Hwæt do ye expect an "löngcomic" to be? Hwæt tinnae be?

 EDIT: I reckon I shall coma now.
‮An observation/creation of an alternate universe made by overlord Randall within an extensive amount of Thing that keeps slipping into the future/space.

its all backwards...

swey

Postby swey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:09 am UTC

oh yes im so glad i hung around to see another clump fly in the air... hrmm my faith in the one true comic is waning, time to coma night everyone

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:15 am UTC

No idea if this will work as first time I've done it and preview's broke thanks to word filters, but anyway:

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:30 am UTC

Ohhhh hovering sand....
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”