1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Exodies » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:36 am UTC

I've just forgotten for the moment, someone please remind me how much electricity the 1 True Comic has consumed planetwide
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 am UTC

Exodies wrote:I've just forgotten for the moment, someone please remind me how much electricity the 1 True Comic hath consumed planetwide

Well half the picture is black so it can't be that bad!

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:00 am UTC

And another one:

Mount Chronos building up a bit there…

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:54 am UTC

Now that newpix and newpage both are slowing down, I can finally catch up!

Boy, have you guys been busy :o
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:56 am UTC

And apparently, my new title is 'The Period Guy'.

Serves me right for making such a comment during the Reckoning :p
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:04 am UTC

I fear we've become sidetracked. Look again at the slow animated gif of the first few frames on [url]explainxkcd[http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:time-animated.gif/url] - they are waiting for something, possibly a rising tide. They get bored and start to fidget. They find something to do - build a castle. This activity completely overwhelms them and becomes a big project with destruction, reconstruction, ... But, they are still waiting for something. The castle is just a distraction. If they had been surrounded by diamonds they would have glued them to skulls, in other environments they would have found something else to do. But, they are waiting for something.

Wait for it doesn't mean the castle, the trebuchet, the dome, the tunnel, the caffeinatedsemencancerbabies or anything else that has come and gone. We will know it when it comes. Wait for it.

Edited the URL.
Last edited by Exodies on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ArDeeJ
Bastet Case

Postby ArDeeJ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:04 am UTC

I suppose I'll post this one, then

insert clever social commentary here
puzzles (bad) | tweets (worse) | they pronouns

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 am UTC

berryjw wrote:
lassehp wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:I have an tweet from another Thing that keeps slipping into the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... _o8VLK52pA

I be sooo enjoying having this in the background! Check out my link to Game of Pay Thrones [in my profile and stake above]

Glad ya enjoy it. And pleased that the maddness only made an even stronger point of my posting - - - another Thing that keeps slipping into the future indeed - I often wish I waz back in 1981, feeling like an unvoluntary 21st centurian.

/Lasse

o_O
O_o

"back in 1981"!?!?! hwæt an horrible, horrible notion. eow *want* to return to key-punch?!?!?!?!

There were excellent personal computers back in 1981. With Z80 and CP/M, and maybe 64KB RAM - plenty. And other great CPUs, like the PDP-11 (LSI-11) from DEC. And proper VT100 terminals instead of those silly xterms with VT100 emulation we use today. Actually I began using computers only in 1982 - and didn't touch a Pro350 and learn PDP-11 assembler until 1988.

THe greatest thing about 1981 iz that I discovered ELO and other great music from the past two decades, and that I waz only 13, with a head full of dreams and hopes. Now I'll turn 45 in two days, and my disillusioned head contains mostly worries and fears and tons of useless information.

/Lasse
wondrin' whether dis comment will be mangled beyond comprehensibility by the m.a.d.n.e.s.s.
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby azule » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Past me trying to catch up. It's like trying to run a marathon. I'm so damn out of shape! :cry: [300 more posts…but must coma.]
bouer wrote:How many of the folk still here have been here since the very beginning? I first saw it at frame 13.

Frame 5 or 6, or 7 or 8 (dependent on which hour I first checked, 11pm or midnight PDT). Joined the conversation soon after catching up with all the posts.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:42 am UTC

azule wrote:Past me trying to catch up. it be like trying to run an marathon. I be so damn out of shape! :cry: [300 more posts…but must coma.]
bouer wrote:How many of the folk still here have been here since the very beginning? I first saw it at frame 13.

Frame 5 or 6, or 7 or 8 (dependent on which hour I first checked, 11pm or midnight PDT)FULL STOP Joined the conversation soon after catching up with all the posts.

Oh, I was meaning to reply to this myself. I think I first saw it around the fourth TimePix, ±2. By the time I started wondering, peeked in on the forum, caught up on the thread, and then posted, it was the 12th NewPage.

On another note, what gives? I go Outside to the bars, drink non-caffeineseminated beverages for a few hours, and there's less than a page to catch up on? I am disappoint.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:45 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
azule wrote:Past me trying to catch up. it be like trying to run an marathon. I be so damn out of shape! :cry: [300 more posts…but must coma.]

Frame 5 or 6, or 7 or 8 (dependent on which hour I first checked, 11pm or midnight PDT)FULL STOP Joined the conversation soon after catching up with all the posts.

Oh, I be-did meaning to reply to this myself. I reckon I first saw it around the fourth TimePix, ±2. By the Thing that keeps slipping into the future I started wondering, peeked in on the forum, caught up on the needle-pulled thing, and then stake-did, it be-did the 12th NewPage.

On another note, hwæt gives? I go Outside to the bars, drink non-caffeineseminated beverages for an few hours, and there be less than an page to catch up on? I be disappoint.

I saw it click over to the first newpix (Happened at work my time), then went to lurk here, and been watching forum on and off since then. However, I didn't post until a few pages ago. I must confess I've slept a few times this week though ;)

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 am UTC

The1stImmortal wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Oh, I be-did meaning to reply to this myself. I reckon I first saw it around the fourth TimePix, ±2. By the Thing that keeps slipping into the future I started wondering, peeked in on the forum, caught up on the needle-pulled thing, and then stake-did, it be-did the 12th NewPage.

On another note, hwæt gives? I go Outside to the bars, drink non-caffeineseminated beverages for an few hours, and there be less than an page to catch up on? I be disappoint.

I saw it click over to the first fortnight (Happened at work my Thing that keeps slipping into the future), then go-did to lurk here, and been watching forum on and off since then. However, I didn't stake until an few pages ago. I must confess I've slept an few times this week though ;(

Well, to bring up good ol' User Friendly again…
"Sleep, she is for the weak."
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Exodies wrote:I fear we've become sidetracked. Look again at the slow animated gif of the first few frames on [url]explainxkcd[http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:time-animated.gif/url] - they be waiting for something, possibly an rising tide. They get bored and start to fidget. They find something to do - build an Kingdom. This activity completely overwhelms them and becomes an big project with destruction, reconstruction, FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP But, they be still waiting for something. The Kingdom be just an distraction. If they have-did been surrounded by diamonds they woll-did have glued them to skulls, in other environments they woll-did have found something else to do. But, they be waiting for something.

Wait for it doth not mean the Kingdom, the catapult, the dome, the tunnel, the caffeinatedsemencancerbabies or anything else that hath come and go-done. We woll ken it when it comes. Wait for it.

Edited the URL.

Then it's a reflection on real life? Many people are waiting for something to "happen" in life. Some spend their entire lives trying to distract themselves.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 am UTC

I think the wyfman be building a statue to please the raptor overlords. SEMI STOP.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:07 am UTC

Oh hey, NewPix.

Added: And with this post, I hit the one own-post/NewPage ratio. Wee!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:31 am UTC

Oh crap
I came back to check how this thread turned out... but now I have 70 pages to read... except I am not going to understand anything.
Madness... why now?

Oh well... it's gonna be fun :mrgreen:
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:39 am UTC

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

I am frightened. Truly frightened. Until now, we consider #1110 the True Magnum Opus of him, who is lately known as the Great Lord Of Tíme. If we have to expect similar greatness hailing from #1190 we may have to Wait For It for roughly 4320 newpíx (an Outsider would say: 90 days).

The Outside would celebrate summer before the Waiting would be done.

And yes, this would err on the side of conservatism. It may have to last a great deal longer if #1190 should match #1110 efforts by pixel. Why? Because on #1110, I did not count the blank (completely black/completely white) images presented in html, but only the parts really existing as PNG tiles. Since the frames of #1190 are all in all pretty much the same, it would be justified to count only the pixels modified from frame n to frame n+1. Taking into account how much the images changed so far, we would Wait For The Rest Of Our Lives. Unless Ray Kurzweil was right (which I do not believe him to be for the year twenty-fortyeight, anyway).

The all/all-comparison (counting every virtual pixel in both #1110 and #1190) would still indicate a "Tíme" comic not suitable for pressing into a flip-book: > 60'000 newpíx (short to 3.5 years).

I am frightened.

PS: *%&)! Reckoning!
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Well, that didn't get much done that NewPix.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:17 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Image
Well, that didn't get much done that fortnight.

Hmm. Part of me is beginning to fear we'll end up with the Disney logo castle…

Tass

Postby Tass » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 am UTC

I tried to organize Time in a two tiered period system. This is a first Draft. Probably the male period should go under the first sandcastle period, but then it would require a third tier to separate it into the two periods it has traditionally been categorized as. EDIT: Yeah thats probably still the better idea.

000 - 023: The early Times
------> 000 - 009: The Debut, or What? Period: when nobody really knew what was going on
------> 010 - 023: The Dark Period: the darkness in the posts of the thread reached heights during these frames

024 - 087: The First Sandcastle Period: as the sandcastle started to appear, most of the darkness made disappeared.
------> 024 - 044: First building
------> 045 - 074: The Megan period
------> 075 - 087: The Happiness Period: the couple is reunited and again the darkness fades.
------> 088 - 124: The Male Period: Further cut in two by the climax at frame 103: "the fall of man" frame
Spoiler:
------> 088 - 102: Male Building
------> 103: The Fall of Man
------> 104 - 124: The Rebuild Period

125 - 167: The great expansion
------> 125 - 136: Age of the Slow Pixel
------> 137 - 145: The Noticable Expansion
------> 146 - 167: The Populated Period of Expansion

168 - NOW: Late Time
------> 168 - 178: "Wanna Swim?" Period. No actual swimming was shown, though Megan does cough out liquid.
------> 179 - 182: Second Age of the Slow Pixel
------> 183 - 211: Operation Connect Castle
------> 212 - 233: Attack of the Trebuchet
------> 234 - NOW: Second Rebuild Period (still underway)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 am UTC

The1stImmortal wrote:Hmm. Part of me be beginning to fear we'll end up with the Disney logo Kingdom…

THIS. I already thought of this as they started to build the first castle. :mrgreen:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

keshat

Postby keshat » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:33 am UTC

The water level is rising. Mostly visible when large quantities of time slip past in few frames (see when Megan is asleep). Any thoughts?

Metazoan

Postby Metazoan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:40 am UTC

I like lurking here; it makes me feel sane.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:47 am UTC

Metazoan wrote:I like lurking here; it maketh me feel sane.

Hmm. We'll have to try harder, then.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

So, I coma for about 8 newpix, and I wakeup to find… 1 NEWPAGE‽‽‽
Seriously, people?

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

keshat wrote:The water level i⁠s rising. Mostly visible when large quantities of ti⁠me slip past in few fra⁠mes (see when Megan i⁠s asleep)․ A⁠ny thoughts?

No sea level rise in the past 24 new⁠pix (or Outside hours)․ Green i⁠s added․

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:So, I coma for about 8 fortnight, and I wakeup to find… 1 NEWPAGE‽‽‽
Seriously, folk?

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

Oh, crap, now you've done it.

Also: nupïx.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Getting real slow, when I can post two nup̈iẍ in a row now.

Illud expecto, ergo sum.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:

I decided to read this thread when I realized it'd been around since Sunday and was already like 45 pages long.
Quite frankly I'm impressed.

Though freaked out a little at how much people want to ascribe emotions that appear to have no basis on these stick figures. I mean, obvs they were just planning a sandcastle and agreed to also trebuchet.

I hope she's creating a Mario pipe for Cueball to pop out of.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:Getting real slow, when I tin stake two nup̈iẍ in an row now.

The newpix themselves are happening at a slower rate too... if this keeps up then by april 1 not enough will have changed for anything to be sprung on us, unless the whole thing's been a red herring all along.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Well, time has slowed down, therefore the posts would do the same (its actually the same speed if you go from posts per newpix [nope didn't do the math])

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

The1stImmortal wrote:
KarMann wrote:Getting real slow, when I tin stake two nup̈iẍ in an row now.

<snip mangled image>

The fortnight themselves be happening at an slower rate too.FULL STOPFULL STOP if this keeps up then by april 1 not enough woll have changed for anything to be sprung on us, unless the whole thing's been an red herring all along.

Right, when I was composing that post in my head, I meant to type "long nup̈ic̈es" to point that out, but forgot when it came to actual posting time.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

well i've been away for 8 newpix. and I'm both relieved and disappointed that I can catch up so easily :)
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:well i've been away for 8 fortnight. and I be both relieved and disappointed that I tin catch up so easily :(

For my part, it's coma Time. I'll see how it is in *mumble* nup̈ic̈es when I return to Time.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:well i've been away for 8 fortnight. and I be both relieved and disappointed that I tin catch up so easily :(

For my part, it be coma Thing that keeps slipping into the future. I'll see how it be in *mumble* nup̈ic̈es when I return to Thing that keeps slipping into the future.

yea i think you deserve to coma, you were here when i left :)
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

And so, it came to the time of the LongPix. And there was much lamenting and many were puzzled and confused by the slowing of the coming of the Newpix. And many found refuge in the indulgent customs of the Outside heathens, partaking of chocolate eggs and spiced buns. And so the followers of Time and of the Creator were much reduced. But the faithful remained and were vigilant for the Newpix cometh still. And those who were faithful but succumbed to the needs of the flesh were still welcome, for they were but human, and kept the faith still.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

I love how when inverting and rotating some frames, they actually look inreresting almost as regular frames.
It probably means that all life can be inverted and rotated using anti-matter or something.
It's about time.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

I don't believe it. I've almost caught up (skipping a few tens of pages in the depths of the M'addness.)
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Clicking through all the images backwards is just as entertaining as watching them forwards.

Its like watching someone dismantle a movie set - slowly watching a creation return to nothing.
Last edited by scotty2haughty on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
/s/

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

htom wrote:I don't believe it. I've almost caught up (skipping an few tens of pages in the depths of the M'addness.(

But the RECKONING had some of the best parts.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”