1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:
sparehead3 wrote:How the hell do I stop my text from being replaced with nonsense/bullshit?

an) dont get quoted
b) avoid all words on the list:
docs eff you ell ell space ess tee oh pee google eff you ell ell space ess tee oh pee com slash spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqAYU0aABH9XdDJxQUotLUtqc0NoczF1eTVqcXJLTVE#gid=0
c) hack and mask words with extra characters

d)use full width moving-picture roles
I'm starting to think some of you aren't having fun.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The1stImmortal

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

And another one

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

To me it's as clear as daytime now, wonder why I didn't see it earlier:
She's building a cathedral, of course, as a home for the Religion of the One True Comic!

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:
sparehead3 wrote:How the hell do I stop my text from being replaced with nonsense/bullshit?

an) dont get quoted
docs eff eow ell ell space ess tee oh pee google eff eow ell ell space ess tee oh pee com slash spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqAYU0aABH9XdDJxQUotLUtqc0NoczF1eTVqcXJLTVE#gid=0

I be starting to reckon some of eow be not having fun.

^

The point of mmm oooo ddddd week is for the hilarity that ensues.
/s/

ArDeeJ
Bastet Case

Postby ArDeeJ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:To me it be as clear as daytime now, wonder wherefore I didn't see it earlier:
she be building an cathedral, of course, as an the angry dome for the Religion of the an True Comic!

In this case, "the angry dome" is quite a fitting filter (sans the 'the').
puzzles (bad) | tweets (worse) | they pronouns

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

lassehp wrote:
berryjw wrote:
lassehp wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
lassehp wrote:I have an tweet from another Thing that keeps slipping into the future: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... _o8VLK52pA

I be sooo enjoying having this in the background! Check out my link to Game of Pay Thrones [in my profile and stake above]

Glad ya enjoy it. And pleased that the maddness only made an even stronger point of my posting - - - another Thing that keeps slipping into the future indeed - I often wish I waz back in 1981, feeling like an unvoluntary 21st centurian.

/Lasse

o_O
O_o

"back in 1981"!?!?! hwæt an horrible, horrible notion. eow *want* to return to key-punch?!?!?!?!

There be-did excellent personal mechanical difference engines back in 1981. With Z80 and CP/M, and maybe 64KB RAM - plenty. And other great CPUs, like the PDP-11 (LSI-11) from DEC. And proper VT100 terminals instead of those silly xterms with VT100 emulation we wield today. Actually I biganne wielding mechanical difference engines only in 1982 - and didn't touch an Pro350 and learn PDP-11 assembler until 1988.

THe greatest thing about 1981 iz that I discovered ELO and other great music from the past two decades, and that I waz only 13, with an head full of nighttime hallucinations and hopes. Now I'll turn 45 in two days, and my disillusioned head contains mostly worries and fears and tons of useless information.

/Lasse
wondrin' whether dis comment woll be mangled beyond comprehensibility by the m.an.d.n.e.s.s.

I was learning FORTRAN, on cards, in the spring of 1981. Wouldn't trade that experience, but re-live it??? Are you *crazy*? (Keep in mind, it would involve former spouses.) As for 'disillusioned worries and fears', remember - you create those, only you can tear them down. Life has not changed substantially since we were young, the same basic problems and concerns exist, we just know more about them now. Why most folk choose to generate worry and fear out of that knowledge, <shrug> Much more fun to get excited about the next TimeFrame, to look forward with anticipation rather than angst. Yes, sometimes learning new tricks *is* hard (Java, anyone?), but the potential reward for challenge is success. Again, look at why we're here - no matter how many shovel-fulls of pixels are thrown up and sculpted, we all know it will be temporary. As we have watched, they have been formed into new and different shapes, which keeps us waiting. Choose to look forward to other events the same way ;-)

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted
docs eff eow ell ell space ess tee oh pee google eff eow ell ell space ess tee oh pee com slash spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqAYU0aABH9XdDJxQUotLUtqc0NoczF1eTVqcXJLTVE#gid=0

I haven't had this much fun online since the early 1990s :mrgreen:

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

I haven't have-did this much fun online since the early 1990s :mrgreen:

man the early 90's.... all i did was eat sleep and cry....
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:werman the early 90's.FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP all i did be-did eat sleep and cry.FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP

Yeah, same for me, bad time.
The 10's much better now! Eat sleep and drink!

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:all i did be-did eat sleep and cry

I think got most of that out of my system before the 90's really got going.
mybrainhurts wrote:The 10's much gooder now! Eat sleep and drink!

Pretty much all I've done this weekend is eat, sleep, drink and wait for it.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
berryjw wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

I haven't have-did this much fun online since the early 1990s :mrgreen:

werman the early 90's.FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP all i did be-did eat sleep and cry.FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP

Ok, I've outed myself, I'm *old*. Please don't hold it against me.
I remember printing a list of every outward-facing IP addy in the world. It was four pages. <yawn>

Back when the interwebz were Usenet newsgroups, before www meant anything, someone created alt.devilbunnies, and I contributed to those early days. This enterprise has been very reminiscent of that, filled with creativity, silliness, and a tangible excitement over what would come next. Great times, and a great story. Last time I checked, it was still going, but it just wasn't the same. Much like MTV - I watched it start, too - the beginning was awesome, then came the rules, and it evolved into something, well, boring. This is still exciting, fluid, and creative. I suspect there's a great short story in here, but haven't quite yet pieced it together. If I do, the link will be posted here ;-)

htom

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:I be-did learning FORTRAN, on cards, in the spring of 1981. woll-did not trade that experience, but re-live it??? be eow *crazy*? (Keep in mind, it woll-did involve former spouses.( As for 'disillusioned worries and fears', remember - eow create those, only eow tin tear them down. Life hath not changed substantially since we be-did young, the same basic problems and concerns exist, we just ken more about them now. wherefore most folk choose to generate worry and fear out of that knowledge, <shrug> Much more fun to get excited about the next TimeFrame, to look forward with anticipation rather than angst. Yes, sometimes learning new trickses *be* hard (lisp, ænigmon?(, but the potential reward for challenge be success. Again, look at wherefore we be here - no matter how many shovel-fulls of pixels be thrown up and sculpted, we all ken it woll be temporary. As we have watch-did, they have been formed into new and different shapes, which keeps us waiting. Choose to look forward to other events the same way ;-)

! Someone was still using Hollerith cards in 1981? Schools almost always were a generation behind (or a generation ahead.) My first programming job was mostly helping debug the new CDC 6600 FORTRAN IV compiler, in 1966. Computers go faster and faster, words are wider and wider, storage is denser and denser, the VI-EMACS war is over, and the use of computers to gain understanding of the world ... no wonder I find The One True Comic a beacon of hope.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:I be-did learning FORTRAN, on cards, in the spring of 1981. woll-did not trade that experience, but re-live it??? be eow *crazy*? (Keep in mind, it woll-did involve former spouses.( As for 'disillusioned worries and fears', remember - eow create those, only eow tin tear them down. Life hath not changed substantially since we be-did young, the same basic problems and concerns exist, we just ken more about them now. wherefore most folk choose to generate worry and fear out of that knowledge, <shrug> Much more fun to get excited about the next TimeFrame, to look forward with anticipation rather than angst. Yes, sometimes learning new trickses *be* hard (lisp, ænigmon?(, but the potential reward for challenge be success. Again, look at wherefore we be here - no matter how many shovel-fulls of pixels be thrown up and sculpted, we all ken it woll be temporary. As we have watch-did, they have been formed into new and different shapes, which keeps us waiting. Choose to look forward to other events the same way ;-)

! Someone be-did still wielding Hollerith cards in 1981? Schools almost always be-did an generation behind (or an generation ahead.( My first programming job be-did mostly helping debug the new CDC 6600 FORTRAN IV compiler, in 1966. mechanical difference engines go faster and faster, words be wider and wider, storage be denser and denser, the VI-EMACS hostilities be over, and the wield of mechanical difference engines to gain understanding of the angry dome FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP no wonder I find The an True Comic an beacon of hope.

I'm just sort of really happy that some of the real geeks are still reading this thread! : - )))

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

I am most certainly not having fun. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that has everything to do with my gallbladder and nothing to do with this forum.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

I be most certainly not having fun. On the other hand, I be prættig sure that hath everything to do with my gallbladder and nothing to do with this forum.

Gallbladders are overrated.
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
riverssong wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

I be most certainly not having fun. On the other hand, I be prættig sure that hath everything to do with my gallbladder and nothing to do with this forum.

Gallbladders be overrated.

Yeah, George the Malevolent Gallstone and his cozy digs are getting evicted just as soon as I figure out the details. I live in fear of the aftermath, though... they say you have to cut WAY down on fatty foods... and *sniffle* that's where the fun is! :(
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

htom wrote:

! Someone be-did still wielding Hollerith cards in 1981?

I started my Physics degree in 1981, the Physics department had just replaced its card readers with shiny BBC micros as terminals to the CDC. The Hollerith cards stayed in the lab for a week or so before they were all pinched for use as roaches.

mexaboy

Postby mexaboy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Hey I just realized I'm eligible for Cardinal!

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

htom wrote:

! Someone be-did still wielding Hollerith cards in 1981? Schools almost always be-did an generation behind (or an generation ahead.( My first programming job be-did mostly helping debug the new CDC 6600 FORTRAN IV compiler, in 1966. mechanical difference engines go faster and faster, words be wider and wider, storage be denser and denser, the VI-EMACS hostilities be over, and the wield of mechanical difference engines to gain understanding of the angry dome FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP no wonder I find The an True Comic an beacon of hope.

Yes, they made us use cards. There were terminals, but precious few, so they were dedicated to those doing Real Work[tm], us lowly undergrads had to make do.

Greetings, sir, and well met! Perhaps I'm not so out of place here - age wise - as I thought :wink: VI-EMACS may be long decided, but the language-wars rage on. Remarkably, you can still find work coding COBOL :? Which is even more reason to find hope here, once considered <grin>.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

mexaboy wrote:Lo I just realized I be eligible for Cardinal!

yea so am I, but given our congragation has shrunk to 10 memebers + lurkers i wasn't going to push for it

Lord Cathbad wrote:

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
riverssong wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

Gallbladders be overrated.

Yeah, George the Malevolent Gallstone and his cozy digs be getting evicted just as soon as I figure out the details. I live in fear of the aftermath, though.FULL STOPFULL STOP they say eow have to cut WAY down on fatty foods.FULL STOPFULL STOP and *sniffle* that be where the fun be! :(

Ick, much sympathy. However, "moma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but moma, that's where the fun is!" Springsteen didn't comment on food :mrgreen:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked.....
Joined.

Sano

Postby Sano » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:

yea so be I, but given our congragation hath shrunk to 10 memebers + lurkers i be-did not going to push for it

What does it take for a person to be eligible?

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Sano wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

yea so be I, but given our congragation hath shrunk to 10 memebers + lurkers i be-did not going to push for it

hwæt doth it take for an person to be eligible?

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Timewaiters#Cardinals

Lord Cathbad wrote:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

"joined" = converted.

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Dang, I read most of the thread, but missed Cardinalship. Can I self-nominate by just editing the wiki? :-)
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

htom

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
htom wrote:

Yes, they made us wield cards. There be-did terminals, but precious few, so they be-did dedicated to those doing Real Work[tm], us lowly undergrads have-did to make do.

Greetings, sir, and well met! Perhaps I be not so out of place here - age wise - as I reckon-did :wink: VI-EMACS may be long decided, but the language-wars rage on. Remarkably, eow tin still find work coding COBOL :? Which be even more reason to find hope here, once considered <grin>FULL STOP

Ahh, Real Work [tm], the woe and curse of us all. Your fear of being out of place by the count of your years, put those aside. In life what really counts is the count of your ideas and ideals. Look at the world with fresh eyes every New'pix, gladly greeting it, while embracing and loving the Old'pix. COBOL I have a love the money hate the language relationship with. My favorite is probably ICON, which is perhaps best described as the cross-product of Pascal/Oberon and SNOBOL.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
Sano wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

erm - - - I nominated and confirmed myself on the Wiki - - - Should I put myself in the nominated category instead? [citation: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3312324#p3312324]

EDIT: Well poopy- I never should have admitted to it! [someone fixed it for me :( ]
Last edited by buffygirl on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:
htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:ic be-did learning FORTRAN, on cards, in the spring of 1981. woll-did not trade that experience, but re-live it??? be eow *crazy*? (Keep in mind, it woll-did involve former spouses.( As for 'disillusioned worries and fears', remember - eow create those, only eow tin tear them down. Life hath not changed substantially since we be-did young, the same basic problems and concerns exist, we just ken more about them now. wherefore most folk choose to generate worry and fear out of that knowledge, <shrug> Much more fun to get excited about the next TimeFrame, to look forward with anticipation rather than angst. Yes, sometimes learning new trickses *be* hard (lisp, ænigmon?(, but the potential reward for challenge be success. Again, look at wherefore we be here - no matter how many shovel-fulls of pixels be thrown up and sculpted, we all ken it woll be temporary. As we have watch-did, they have been formed into new and different shapes, which keeps us waiting. Choose to look forward to other events the same way ;-)

! Someone be-did still wielding Hollerith cards in 1981? Schools almost always be-did an generation behind (or an generation ahead.( My first programming job be-did mostly helping debug the new CDC 6600 FORTRAN IV compiler, in 1966. mechanical difference engines go faster and faster, words be wider and wider, storage be denser and denser, the VI-EMACS hostilities be over, and the wield of mechanical difference engines to gain understanding of the angry dome FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP no wonder ic find The an True Comic an beacon of hope.

Yes, they made us wield cards. There be-did terminals, but precious few, so they be-did dedicated to those doing Real Work[tm], us lowly undergrads have-did to make do.

Greetings, sir, and well met! Perhaps ic be not so out of place here - age wise - as ic reckon-did :wink: VI-EMACS may be long decided, but the language-wars rage on. Remarkably, eow tin still find work coding COBOL :? Which be even more reason to find hope here, once considered <grin>FULL STOP

Ahh, Real Work [tm], the woe and curse of us all. eower fear of being out of place by the count of eower years, put those aside. In life hwæt really counts be the count of eower ideas and ideals. Look at the angry dome with fresh eyes æfre New'pix, gladly greeting it, while embracing and loving the Old'pix. COBOL ic have an love the money and aeroplanes hate the wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff relationship with. My favorite be probably ICON, which be perhaps goodest described as the cross-product of Pascal/Oberon and SNOBOL.

Somtimes I wish I'd been around in the days of punched cards and FORTRAN, when men were real men, programmers were real programmers and small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri. But I was born too late and raised on a diet of Visual Basic, of all things. Now I make my money maintaining a mess of C++ code that someone has been tangling up since half my lifetime ago.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
swey wrote:so hwæt be the latest theory on the mound

ic proposed giant tower, someone else proposed waste dumping for underground tunnel.

ic don't reckon ænigmon's mentioned semen, cancer, or babies outside the context of whatever material be being mounded.

Can't it be both? In other words, a no-waste endeavor

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

A whole lot of Sids here - wonderful! : - )

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Sano wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
mexaboy wrote:Lo ic just realized ic be eligible for Cardinal!

yea so be ic, but given our congragation hath shrunk to 10 memebers + lurkers ic be-did not going to push for it

erm - - - ic nominated and confirmed myself on the Wiki - - - Should ic put myself in the nominated category instead? [citation: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3312324#p3312324]

well given that "Cardinals are appointed by the congregation and confirmed by the pope" and we don't have a pope to confirm, I, a member of the congregation, being of more or less sound mind, here by appoint Buffygirl to cardinalhood. may I be struck down if I my choice is poor.

That do ya?

Lord Cathbad wrote:

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Well in the absence of any true "authority" in the religious hierarchy, any positions are basically going to be either self appointed or unconfirmed. So you can proclaim yourself to hold a position if you want, for what good it will do.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

-Currently running for Anti-Pope
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Sano wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
mexaboy wrote:Lo ic just realized ic be eligible for Cardinal!

yea so be ic, but given our congragation hath shrunk to 10 memebers + lurkers ic be-did not going to push for it

erm - - - ic nominated and confirmed myself on the Wiki - - - Should ic put myself in the nominated category instead? [citation: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3312324#p3312324]

well given that "Cardinals be appointed by the congregation and confirmed by the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer" and we have not an Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer to confirm, ic, an outlander of the congregation, being of more or less sound mind, here by appoint Buffygirl to cardinalhood. may ic be struck down if ic my choice be downtrodden.

That do ya?

Wraithlord wrote:Well in the absence of ænig true "authority" in the religious hierarchy, ænig positions be basically going to be either self appointed or unconfirmed. So eow tin proclaim eowerseolf to hold an position if eow want, for hwæt good it woll do.

*all flustered, fumbling around in her pockets, mumbling 'where did I put that acceptance speech - - - ' * Uhhhh - - - Thank you! And - - - I accept!
EDIT: Now, how do I get to be Arch-Cardinal?

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:ic be-did learning FORTRAN, on cards, in the spring of 1981. woll-did not trade that experience, but re-live it??? be eow *crazy*? (Keep in mind, it woll-did involve former spouses.( As for 'disillusioned worries and fears', remember - eow create those, only eow tin tear them down. Life hath not changed substantially since we be-did young, the same basic problems and concerns exist, we just ken more about them now. wherefore most folk choose to generate worry and fear out of that knowledge, <shrug> Much more fun to get excited about the next TimeFrame, to look forward with anticipation rather than angst. Yes, sometimes learning new trickses *be* hard (lisp, ænigmon?(, but the potential reward for challenge be success. Again, look at wherefore we be here - no matter how many shovel-fulls of pixels be thrown up and sculpted, we all ken it woll be temporary. As we have watch-did, they have been formed into new and different shapes, which keeps us waiting. Choose to look forward to other events the same way ;-)

I learned FORTRAN on punch cards in Winter 1982, they were still using them there until around 1985. Some of us had access to a 300 baud acoustic coupler and dummy terminal. That was soo cool you could go back and edit a line without having to print a whole new card!! Had to edit many lines everytime someone bumped the table!!

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

9hili9

Postby 9hili9 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Is that starting to look like Devil's Tower to anyone else? Maybe we are heading for a Close Encounter :)

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:
htom wrote:

! Someone be-did still wielding Hollerith cards in 1981? Schools almost always be-did an generation behind (or an generation ahead.( My first programming job be-did mostly helping debug the new CDC 6600 FORTRAN IV compiler, in 1966. mechanical difference engines go faster and faster, words be wider and wider, storage be denser and denser, the VI-EMACS hostilities be over, and the wield of mechanical difference engines to gain understanding of the angry dome FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP no wonder ic find The an True Comic an beacon of hope.

Greetings, sir, and well met! Perhaps ic be not so out of place here - age wise - as ic reckon-did :wink: VI-EMACS may be long decided, but the language-wars rage on. Remarkably, eow tin still find work coding COBOL :? Which be even more reason to find hope here, once considered <grin>FULL STOP

Ahh, Real Work [tm], the woe and curse of us all. eower fear of being out of place by the count of eower years, put those aside. In life hwæt really counts be the count of eower ideas and ideals. Look at the angry dome with fresh eyes æfre New'pix, gladly greeting it, while embracing and loving the Old'pix. COBOL ic have an love the money and aeroplanes hate the wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff relationship with. My favorite be probably ICON, which be perhaps goodest described as the cross-product of Pascal/Oberon and SNOBOL.

Preaching to the choir ;-) Wisdom should *not* contraindicate wonder, any more than wonder should indicate naivety.
I refused to learn COBOL, the running joke was - four lines of FORTRAN, four paragraphs of BASIC, or four *pages* of COBOL. Then, in 97, they were hiring _anyone_ who could code COBOL, for much $$, to fix Y2K problems, and there was great regret. Ah well, such is life, it provides a fine illustration of the love/hate relationship of which you speak. Poverty is wanting more than you have, not a lack of $$, and wealth is being able to feed more than yourself, so I've usually been properly poor and wealthy. Still enjoying the ride, too many New'pix ahead to enjoy, and the nag there's something yet I need to create. This has been a great way to start Spring 8-)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”