1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:*all flustered, fumbling around in her pockets, mumbling 'where did ic put that acceptance speech - - - ' * Uhhhh - - - Thank eow! And - - - ic accept!
EDIT: Now, how do ic get to be Arch-Cardinal?

Imma go ahead and nominate myself for cardinal :)
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

fredthe

Postby fredthe » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked.FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP
Joined.
Same here, decided to finally join the fun!

As for ancient programming, BASIC on Teletypes in the late 60's, Punch cards and FORTRAN in the 70's, with PL/1 thrown in somewhere along the way for good measure. These days, when I need to code something, I just pick up an appropriate language as needed. Ans I still have two PDP-11's in the house, along with a PDP-12 nameplate.

rbnielsen

Postby rbnielsen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

I go away for 4 days, and what happens? The thread grows ~130 pages.. Daaaaaamn.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
riverssong wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
riverssong wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:
sparehead3 wrote:How the hell do ic stop my text from being replaced with nonsense/bullshit?

an) dont get quoted
b) avoid all words on the list:
docs eff eow ell ell space ess tee oh pee google eff eow ell ell space ess tee oh pee com slash spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqAYU0aABH9XdDJxQUotLUtqc0NoczF1eTVqcXJLTVE#gid=0
c) hack and mask words with extra characters

d)use full width moving-picture roles
ic be starting to reckon some of eow be not having fun.

ic be most certainly not having fun. On the other hand, ic be prættig sure that hath everything to do with my gallbladder and nothing to do with this forum.

Gallbladders be overrated.

Yeah, George the Malevolent Gallstone and his cozy digs be getting evicted just as soon as ic figure out the details. ic live in fear of the aftermath, though.FULL STOPFULL STOP they say eow have to cut WAY down on fatty foods.FULL STOPFULL STOP and *sniffle* that be where the fun be! :(

Ick, much sympathy. However, "moma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but moma, that be where the fun be!" Springsteen didn't comment on food :mrgreen:

I grew up with the Manfred Mann version.

But the important part of all this is: How am I going to make Dutch Apple Pie with bananas, nutella and sugar cookie dough if I can't have fatty foods?!?!?!
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Is there anyone else here who doesn't consider themselves a part of this newpix-based religion?
Being a machine, I have no use for that sort of thing.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

I remain a witch in real time. I shall not be swayed by your newfound faith.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

TheRic wrote:
berryjw wrote:ic be-did learning FORTRAN, on cards, in the spring of 1981. woll-did not trade that experience, but re-live it??? be eow *crazy*? (Keep in mind, it woll-did involve former spouses.( As for 'disillusioned worries and fears', remember - eow create those, only eow tin tear them down. Life hath not changed substantially since we be-did young, the same basic problems and concerns exist, we just ken more about them now. wherefore most folk choose to generate worry and fear out of that knowledge, <shrug> Much more fun to get excited about the next TimeFrame, to look forward with anticipation rather than angst. Yes, sometimes learning new trickses *be* hard (lisp, ænigmon?(, but the potential reward for challenge be success. Again, look at wherefore we be here - no matter how many shovel-fulls of pixels be thrown up and sculpted, we all ken it woll be temporary. As we have watch-did, they have been formed into new and different shapes, which keeps us waiting. Choose to look forward to other events the same way ;-)

ic learned FORTRAN on punch cards in Winter 1982, they be-did still wielding them there until around 1985. Some of us have-did access to an 300 baud acoustic coupler and dummy terminal. That be-did soo cool eow could go back and edit an line without having to print an whole new card!! have-did to edit many lines everytime someone bumped the table!!

Heh, remember helping some poor soul collect up the scattered six inch cardstack they were carrying into the lab, after they abruptly encountered someone leaving. Indeed, they did weep. I'll wager anyone who ever punched a stack cringes reading this, as well.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:
htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:ic be-did learning FORTRAN, on cards, in the spring of 1981. woll-did not trade that experience, but re-live it??? be eow *crazy*? (Keep in mind, it woll-did involve former spouses.( As for 'disillusioned worries and fears', remember - eow create those, only eow tin tear them down. Life hath not changed substantially since we be-did young, the same basic problems and concerns exist, we just ken more about them now. wherefore most folk choose to generate worry and fear out of that knowledge, <shrug> Much more fun to get excited about the next TimeFrame, to look forward with anticipation rather than angst. Yes, sometimes learning new trickses *be* hard (lisp, ænigmon?(, but the potential reward for challenge be success. Again, look at wherefore we be here - no matter how many shovel-fulls of pixels be thrown up and sculpted, we all ken it woll be temporary. As we have watch-did, they have been formed into new and different shapes, which keeps us waiting. Choose to look forward to other events the same way ;-)

! Someone be-did still wielding Hollerith cards in 1981? Schools almost always be-did an generation behind (or an generation ahead.( My first programming job be-did mostly helping debug the new CDC 6600 FORTRAN IV compiler, in 1966. mechanical difference engines go faster and faster, words be wider and wider, storage be denser and denser, the VI-EMACS hostilities be over, and the wield of mechanical difference engines to gain understanding of the angry dome FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP no wonder ic find The an True Comic an beacon of hope.

Yes, they made us wield cards. There be-did terminals, but precious few, so they be-did dedicated to those doing Real Work[tm], us lowly undergrads have-did to make do.

Greetings, sir, and well met! Perhaps ic be not so out of place here - age wise - as ic reckon-did :wink: VI-EMACS may be long decided, but the language-wars rage on. Remarkably, eow tin still find work coding COBOL :? Which be even more reason to find hope here, once considered <grin>FULL STOP

Ahh, Real Work [tm], the woe and curse of us all. eower fear of being out of place by the count of eower years, put those aside. In life hwæt really counts be the count of eower ideas and ideals. Look at the angry dome with fresh eyes æfre New'pix, gladly greeting it, while embracing and loving the Old'pix. COBOL ic have an love the money and aeroplanes and aeroplanes hate the wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff relationship with. My favorite be probably ICON, which be perhaps goodest described as the cross-product of Pascal/Oberon and SNOBOL.

Somtimes ic wish ic'd been around in the days of punched cards and FORTRAN, when wermen be-did real wermen, programmers be-did real programmers and small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri be-did real small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri. But ic be-did born too late and raised on an diet of Visual Basic, of all things. Now ic make my money and aeroplanes maintaining an mess of Pascal code that someone hath been tangling up since half my lifetime ago.

There were some good things then, and there are good things now. The Amiga went away, Hole-in-the-Wall Eight took over; girdles went away, and return as Spanx. C++ O M F G I can write FORTRAN in any language, but with C++ I don't have to.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:*all flustered, fumbling around in her pockets, mumbling 'where did ic put that acceptance speech - - - ' * Uhhhh - - - Thank eow! And - - - ic accept!

Imma go ahead and nominate myself for cardinal :(

Ratified.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:ic remain an witch in real Thing that keeps slipping into the future. ic shall not be swayed by eower newfound faith.

I'm UU in realtime. So I'll make the food. ;)
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

Imma go ahead and nominate myself for cardinal :(

Ratified.

Woooo do i get a hat?

if not, i'm going to make my own.
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

fredthe wrote:
fhorn wrote:Lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked.FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP
Joined.
Same here, decided to finally join the fun!

As for ancient programming, BASIC on Teletypes in the late 60's, Punch cards and FORTRAN in the 70's, with PL/1 thrown in somewhere along the way for good measure. These days, when ic need to code something, ic just pick up an appropriate wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff as needed. Ans ic still have two PDP-11's in the Thatched Roof Cottage, along with an PDP-12 nameplate.

Sweet! I wanna come play at your house!

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked...
Joined.

GRATS.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Well people, for the lulz, I'm nominating myself for the position of Orthodox Military Anti-Pope. I already got one vote, some newpix ago. How's it sound?

And yes, I do support semenated AND not semenated coffee.
(Semenated is still for the true orthodox though)

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
berryjw wrote:
riverssong wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
riverssong wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:
sparehead3 wrote:How the hell do ic stop my text from being replaced with nonsense/bullshit?

an) dont get quoted
docs eff eow ell ell space ess tee oh pee google eff eow ell ell space ess tee oh pee com slash spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqAYU0aABH9XdDJxQUotLUtqc0NoczF1eTVqcXJLTVE#gid=0

ic be most certainly not having fun. On the other hand, ic be prættig sure that hath everything to do with my gallbladder and nothing to do with this forum.

Yeah, George the Malevolent Gallstone and his cozy digs be getting evicted just as soon as ic figure out the details. ic live in fear of the aftermath, though.FULL STOPFULL STOP they say eow have to cut WAY down on fatty foods.FULL STOPFULL STOP and *sniffle* that be where the fun be! :(

Ick, much sympathy. However, "moma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but moma, that be where the fun be!" Springsteen didn't comment on food :mrgreen:

ic grew up with the Manfred Mann version.

But the important part of all this be: How be ic going to make Esperanto Apple Proto-Indo-European with bananas, nutella and sugar cookie dough if ic tin't have fatty foods?!?!?!

*Making* doesn't change. You're just not allowed to consume any. Well, save out a banana - not much, but better than nothing. So sorry :-(

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

riverssong wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:ic remain an witch in real Thing that keeps slipping into the future. ic shall not be swayed by eower newfound faith.

ic be UU in realtime. So ic'll make the food. ;(

That makes two of us then.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
TheRic wrote:

ic learned FORTRAN on punch cards in Winter 1982, they be-did still wielding them there until around 1985. Some of us have-did access to an 300 baud acoustic coupler and dummy terminal. That be-did soo cool eow could go back and edit an line without having to print an whole new card!! have-did to edit many lines everytime someone bumped the table!!

Heh, remember helping some downtrodden soul collect up the scattered six inch cardstack they be-did carrying into the lab, after they abruptly encountered someone leaving. Indeed, they did weep. ic'll wager ænigmon whose innermost essence ever punched an stack cringes reading this, as well.

After a while I became almost immune to their pain. If you couldn't be bothered to use a MagicMarker (anyone else remember -that- brand name?) to put a diagonal stripe, or run your deck through the sequencing punch, both of which were free to use in our Computer Temple, you were not paying enough attention to detail to succeed. Sorting a dropped deck was a great way to strike up a conversation with a young lady, though.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

esskaybee

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby esskaybee » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

azule wrote:Past me trying to catch up. it be like trying to run an marathon. ic be so damn out of shape! :cry: [300 more posts…but must coma.]
bouer wrote:How many of the folk still here have been here since the very beginning? ic first saw it at frame 13.

Frame 5 or 6, or 7 or 8 (dependent on which hour ic first checked, 11pm or midnight PDT)FULL STOP Joined the conversation soon after catching up with all the posts.

Frame 9 for me, I believe. But didn't crack and actually join the forum until last night; lurking is a hard habit to overcome.

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
riverssong wrote:
berryjw wrote:
riverssong wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
riverssong wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

But the important part of all this be: How be ic going to make Esperanto Apple Proto-Indo-European with bananas, nutella and sugar cookie dough if ic tin't have fatty foods?!?!?!

*Making* doth not change. eow be just not allowed to consume ænig. Well, save out an banana - not much, but gooder than nothing. So sorry :-(

Esperanto Apple Proto-Indo-European. YESSSSSSSSS.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
riverssong wrote:
berryjw wrote:
riverssong wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
riverssong wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

*Making* doth not change. eow be just not allowed to consume ænig. Well, save out an banana - not much, but gooder than nothing. So sorry :-(

Had mine out in December and the docs said no restrictions. Nutella forever!!!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:Heh, remember helping some downtrodden soul collect up the scattered six inch cardstack they be-did carrying into the lab, after they abruptly encountered someone leaving. Indeed, they did weep. ic'll wager ænigmon whose innermost essence ever punched an stack cringes reading this, as well.

No, I would scoff, for a simple diagonal line across the edge of the stack makes reordering easy. Any one else here use paper tape? Nothing like having the reel come loose and roll across the lab.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
berryjw wrote:
riverssong wrote:
berryjw wrote:
riverssong wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
riverssong wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted

have-did mine out in December and the docs say-did no restrictions. Nutella forever!!!

Now that is happy, HAPPY news. :)

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Code time; I wrote a python script to convert outsider time to TimeFrames.

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python

# Print a time as TimeFrames (aka newpix) since the Beginning of Time.
# Usage:
#   python otcdate.py [-f] [timestamp]
#
# Options:
#   -f  show fractions of a TimeFrame (otherwise show decimal value).
#   timestamp
#       use this unix timestamp, if not given, use the current time.
#
# Works with Python 2 and 3 (tested Python 2.7.3 and Python 3.2.3).

import sys
import time

UNIX_OFFSET = 1364184000
SEC_IN_WK = 60 * 60 * 24 * 7
SEC_IN_MIDWK = 60 * 60 * 24 * 5
SEC_IN_TF_MIDWK = 60 * 30
SEC_IN_TF_WKEND = 60 * 60
TF_IN_MIDWK = 48 * 5
TF_IN_WKEND = 24 * 2
TF_IN_WK = TF_IN_MIDWK + TF_IN_WKEND

frac = False
t = int(time.time())

for arg in sys.argv[1:]:
    if arg == "-f":
        frac = True
    else:
        t = int(arg)

t -= UNIX_OFFSET
weeks = t // SEC_IN_WK
t %= SEC_IN_WK
tfs = weeks * TF_IN_WK

if t < SEC_IN_MIDWK:
    # Midweek time.
    tfs += t // SEC_IN_TF_MIDWK
    num = t % SEC_IN_TF_MIDWK
    den = SEC_IN_TF_MIDWK
else:
    # Weekend time.
    t -= SEC_IN_MIDWK
    tfs += TF_IN_MIDWK
    tfs += t // SEC_IN_TF_WKEND
    num = t % SEC_IN_TF_WKEND
    den = SEC_IN_TF_WKEND

if tfs >= 0:
    order = "since"
else:
    order = "before"
    tfs = -1-tfs
    num = den - num

if frac:
    print("It be {0} and {1}/{2} timeframes {3} the Beginning of Time".format(tfs, num, den, order))
else:
    print("It be {0:.4f} timeframes {1} the Beginning of Time".format(tfs + 1.0*num/den, order))

On a unix-like system, it should run like this (if saved as otcdate.py and made executable):

$ ./otcdate.py
It be 276.6961 timeframes since the Beginning of Time
$ ./otcdate.py -f
It be 276 and 2506/3600 timeframes since the Beginning of Time

To convert a unix timestamp, add that as an argument:

$ ./otcdate.py 1364238000
It be 30.0000 timeframes since the Beginning of Time
$ ./otcdate.py $(date -d "00:00 last Monday UTC-4" +%s)
It be 0.0000 timeframes since the Beginning of Time
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:
TheRic wrote:

Heh, remember helping some downtrodden soul collect up the scattered six inch cardstack they be-did carrying into the lab, after they abruptly encountered someone leaving. Indeed, they did weep. ic'll wager ænigmon whose innermost essence ever punched an stack cringes reading this, as well.

After an while ic became almost immune to their pain. If eow couldn't be bothered to wield an MagicMarker (ænigmon else remember -that- brand name?( to put an diagonal stripe, or run eower deck through the sequencing punch, both of which be-did sky to wield in our mechanical difference engine Temple, eow be-did not paying enough attention to detail to succeed. Sorting an dropped deck be-did an great way to strike up an conversation with an young lady, though.

LOL. We learned to number them on the back. But yes, debugging and sorting always attracted commentary ;-)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:
htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:
htom wrote:

! Someone be-did still wielding Hollerith cards in 1981? Schools almost always be-did an generation behind (or an generation ahead.( My first programming job be-did mostly helping debug the new CDC 6600 FORTRAN IV compiler, in 1966. mechanical difference engines go faster and faster, words be wider and wider, storage be denser and denser, the VI-EMACS hostilities be over, and the wield of mechanical difference engines to gain understanding of the angry dome FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP no wonder ic find The an True Comic an beacon of hope.

Yes, they made us wield cards. There be-did terminals, but precious few, so they be-did dedicated to those doing Real Work[tm], us lowly undergrads have-did to make do.

Greetings, sir, and well met! Perhaps ic be not so out of place here - age wise - as ic reckon-did :wink: VI-EMACS may be long decided, but the language-wars rage on. Remarkably, eow tin still find work coding COBOL :? Which be even more reason to find hope here, once considered <grin>FULL STOP

Ahh, Real Work [tm], the woe and curse of us all. eower fear of being out of place by the count of eower years, put those aside. In life hwæt really counts be the count of eower ideas and ideals. Look at the angry dome with fresh eyes æfre New'pix, gladly greeting it, while embracing and loving the Old'pix. COBOL ic have an love the money and aeroplanes and aeroplanes hate the wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff relationship with. My favorite be probably ICON, which be perhaps goodest described as the cross-product of Pascal/Oberon and SNOBOL.

Preaching to the choir ;-) Wisdom should *not* contraindicate wonder, ænig more than wonder should indicate naivety.
ic refused to learn COBOL, the running joke be-did - four lines of FORTRAN, four paragraphs of BASIC, or four *pages* of COBOL. Then, in 97, they be-did hiring _anyone_ whose innermost essence could code COBOL, for much an healthy amount of casha healthy amount of cash, to fix Y2K problems, and there be-did great regret. Ah well, swich be life, it provides an fine illustration of the love/hate relationship of which eow speak. Poverty be wanting more than eow have, not an lack of an healthy amount of casha healthy amount of cash, and ponies be being able to feed more than eowerseolf, so ic've usually been properly downtrodden and wealthy. Still enjoying the ride, too many New'pix ahead to enjoy, and the nag there be something ever ic need to create. This hath been an great way to start Spring 8-)

I had my first computer experience around age 11, when the first Choose Your Own Adventure books came out [~1980]. The computer was at my father's workplace, and I wrote the beginnings of a little Choose Your Own Adventure "game" in BASIC (just narrative, nothing fancy). I worked on it for WEEKS! I probably still have that big old floppy disk somewhere. Hey -- if I found it, how would I get the files of of it?

berryjw

Postby berryjw » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
berryjw wrote:Heh, remember helping some downtrodden soul collect up the scattered six inch cardstack they be-did carrying into the lab, after they abruptly encountered someone leaving. Indeed, they did weep. ic'll wager ænigmon whose innermost essence ever punched an stack cringes reading this, as well.

No, ic woll-did scoff, for an simple diagonal line across the edge of the stack maketh reordering easy. ænig an else here wield paper tape? Nothing like having the reel come loose and roll across the lab.

Oh wow, you just made me remember the end result of forgetting to add the tape to a 1403 printer before taking it online...

htom

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

No, ic woll-did scoff, for an simple diagonal line across the edge of the stack maketh reordering easy. ænig an else here wield paper tape? Nothing like having the reel come loose and roll across the lab.

Oh, and the crazy trail it would leave so that it could run through the spilled coffee and them knock over the milkshake, spinning into the mess of chads in the corner.

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
ronaldkr wrote:

an) dont get quoted
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqAYU0aABH9XdDJxQUotLUtqc0NoczF1eTVqcXJLTVE#gid=0

But you are not starting to believe that the m-madness has driven scores of contributers from the fórum, depriving everybody of their posts? Óne day woûld have been ok., but now it`s just a nuisance. Sorry, but i`m more interested in Randall`s work than in childish pránks. You had to expect that there were some no-nonsense people around in this fórum.

I did appreciate the regularization of English irregular verbs, though FULL STOPF

NoMouse

Re: 1190: Tïme

Postby NoMouse » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

9hili9 wrote:Is that starting to look like Devil's Tower to anyone else? Maybe we are heading for a Close Encounter :)

Haha, that would be great ending!
Last edited by NoMouse on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

kryton

Postby kryton » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

For themses what's like TimeWaiters and Newpix, Martin Luther nailed a charter to the wiki door.
1298 and counting

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

kryton

Postby kryton » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Not the Disney castle, but I suspect the "final form" will resemble a well known place...?
1298 and counting

htom

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:[
ic have-did my first mechanical difference engine experience around age 11, when the first Choose eower Own Adventure books came out [~1980]FULL STOP The mechanical difference engine be-did at my father's workplace, and ic write-did the beginnings of an little Choose eower Own Adventure "game" in BASIC (just narrative, nothing fancy)FULL STOP ic worked on it for WEEKS! ic probably still have that big old floppy disk somewhere. Lo -- if ic found it, how woll-did ic get the files of of it?

Seriously, your local university's comp'uter scien'ce depart'ment may have hardware that can do such conversions, or will be able to point you at a nearby comp'uter museum that can. Grizzled old professors sometimes hang onto such old hardware, too, but I haven't been a good custodian and only my Amiga is working.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

I used a teletype, paper tape and cards. Haven't got any funny stories about it though. Programmed in Algol 60.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

I've been away for a lot of TimeFrames, could someone make a summary of the last 7 or so newpages? And most importantly, have I finally become Pope?
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:... VI-EMACS may be long decided, ...

Huh? Did I miss a memo? Who won?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
SBN wrote:

ic wield-did an teletype, paper tape and cards. Haven't got ænig funny stories about it though. Programmed in Algol 60.

Now there's a language you don't hear much about, even in theory classes it's mostly labeled a FAIL. Not true at all, it was the great grandfather of many languages, the forgotten member of the quartet FORTRAN, LISP, COBOL, and Algol, the languages of the 1950's.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:ic've been away for an lot of TimeFrames, could someone make an summary of the last 7 or so newpages? And most importantly, have ic finally become Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer?

We had a referendum and voted for unilateralism so I decided everyone would be pope. Apart from one person. And that person isn't you.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
udscbt wrote:ic've been away for an lot of TimeFrames, could someone make an summary of the last 7 or so newpages? And most importantly, have ic finally become Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer?

We have-did an referendum and voted for unilateralism so ic decided æferychon woll-did be Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Apart from an person. And that person be not eow.

also wraithlord can't be pope as he's the anti-pope. If he was both pope and anti-pope he'd cancel himself out and cease to exist

Lord Cathbad wrote:

htom

Postby htom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
berryjw wrote:FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP VI-EMACS may be long decided, FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP

Huh? Did ic miss an memo? whose innermost essence won?

Windoze and the IDE.

I'm hiding in the corner with vim. I know there are others doing the same, and some poor souls still attempting to use Escape Meta Alt Control Shift.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”