1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ashtar

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Ashtar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Ic have-did not find-done ænigmon wield-doing the base 2520 system I proposed.

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

ugmhemhe wrote:Thou love how it sayeth "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin' )into the future"

EDIT: THIS PAGE be MIIIIIIIIINE!!!!

Not for long. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

Ashtar wrote:Ic have-did not find-done ænigmon wield-doing the base 2520 system ic proposed.

We need some legal documents signing it into law. Also, a javascript/python script for easier conversions (as many timewatchers are not yet fully indoctrinated into the mindset of the newpix)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

I have a hat! [actually five, but here's my first! I call it Roundcap Hat]
PS - how do I upload an image to a forum post?

EDIT: It's not quite as visible against the dark background as I would like it to be - - - I might need to make some adjustments there
EDIT2: Made some adjustments, hat is just too dark.
EDIT3: Edited to include image of this hat
Spoiler:
500full-forhat1-roundcap-smlr.jpg
Roundcap Hat
500full-forhat1-roundcap-smlr.jpg (5.69 KiB) Viewed 11186 times
Last edited by buffygirl on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 am UTC, edited 7 times in total.

udscbt
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:
udscbt wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Exodies wrote:
udscbt wrote:ic've been away for an lot of TimeFrames, could someone make an summary of the last 7 or so newpages? And most importantly, have ic finally become Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer?

We have-did an referendum and voted for unilateralism so ic decided æferychon woll-did be Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Apart from an person. And that person be not eow.

Hurray! Now ic only need to become also Cardinal. Someone woll-did be so kind to nominate me?

EDIT: Another thing. be there an Non-Religious State of Newpixia now? When ic left it be-did being discussed which kind of government have-did to be wield-did and theocracy be-did the only an with more than an vote.

ic, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The an True Comic, do hereby nominate eow, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- eow be an peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that be not right - - -

ic gladly accept both circumcisions, especially the sandwich an.

Here be my coat of arms:
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon wrote:Uh oh, this religion be getting organized. Organized religion almost always loses sight of their original goal.

Ye whose innermost essence become cardinals, forget not the an True Comic!

Without the an True Comic we be nothing.

Back on topic: how be that pile of Magic/whateveritis not falling?

Thats an special kind of awesome---
its not falling by cause its an freeze frame :(

it be glued together with semean.

That could actually make sense...

buffygirl wrote:ic have an hat! [actually five, but here's my first! ic call it roundcap]
PS - how do ic upload an image to an forum stake?

I used an external hosting website, but I think you can add it as an attachment. Under the buttons "Save draft", "Preview" and "Submit" there are two tabs: "Options" and "Upload attachment", click on "Upload attachment" and... well, I think you know what you have to do then.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Ashtar wrote:Ic have-did not find-done ænigmon wield-doing the base 2520 system ic proposed.

We need some legal documents signing it into law. Also, an javascript/Fortran script for easier conversions (as many timewatchers be not ever fully indoctrinated into the mindset of the fortnight)

I didn't realise there were any Timewatchers left, I thought we were all Initiates, Timewaiters or Eastern unorthadox Timewaiters now.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Assuming that the post rate doesn't change ever, how long would it takes us to take down the forum (probably the space on the server runs out, but I am guessing the upgrades on the server would be faster than our posting).
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

We need some legal documents signing it into law. Also, an javascript/Fortran script for easier conversions (as many timewatchers be not ever fully indoctrinated into the mindset of the fortnight)

ic didn't realise there be-did ænig Timewatchers left, ic reckon-did we be-did all Initiates, Timewaiters or Eastern unorthadox Timewaiters now.

I think Timewatchers is synonymous with Timewaiters.
I'm just a HAL 9000 series computer. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

diego5wh wrote:Assuming that the stake rate doth not change ever, how long woll-did it takes us to take down the forum (probably the space on the server diarrhea out, but ic be guessing the upgrades on the server woll-did be faster than our posting)FULL STOP

I think the moderators will opt for a massive ban as a solution

I'm probably late, anyway... Python is being converted to Fortran??? Outrageous!
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Looks like it was falling after all.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

-snip-, ninja'd

The mounding continues...

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

I did write a Python script to convert unix time into TimeFrames, but it got ignored, or at least, not replied to. http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3313821#p3313821
udscbt wrote:
diego5wh wrote:Assuming that the stake rate doth not change ever, how long woll-did it takes us to take down the forum (probably the space on the server diarrhea out, but ic be guessing the upgrades on the server woll-did be faster than our posting)FULL STOP

ic reckon the Demons woll opt for an massive ban as an solution

ic be probably late, anyway.FULL STOPFULL STOP Python be being converted to Fortran??? Outrageous!

Outrageous? I thought it was inspired.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

ic did write an Fortran script to convert unix Thing that keeps slipping into the future into TimeFrames, but it got ignored, or at least, not reply-did to. http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3313821#p3313821
udscbt wrote:

ic reckon the Demons woll opt for an massive ban as an solution

ic be probably late, anyway.FULL STOPFULL STOP Python be being converted to Fortran??? Outrageous!

Outrageous? ic reckon-did it be-did inspired.

Neat, and undoubtedly useful, but my post was in reply to the poster who created the base 2520 system. Regardless, this would be an excellent base for such a converter...

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

I wonder what the center mound is going to become
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:ic wonder hwæt the center mound be going to become

A target for the trebuchet-thrown nuke?

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:

an target for the trebuchet-thrown nuke?

a pebble sized nuke?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:

an pebble sized nuke?

Well, we don't know the scale in which the comic is drawn. For all we know, Megan could be tall 5000 km. Now that I think about it, someone should also standardise the space units.

mattiep

Postby mattiep » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

I'm still liking my idea of some type of Mount Rushmore-type monument. Once we see what it is, I suspect we'll retroactively proclaim a new period.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:

an pebble sized nuke?

Well, we ken not the scale in which the comic be drawn. For all we ken, Megan could be tall 5000 km. Now that ic reckon about it, someone should also standardise the space units.

did we not sort out units here
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3313435#p3313435
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

kryton

Postby kryton » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:

an pebble sized nuke?

Well, we ken not the scale in which the comic be drawn. For all we ken, Megan could be tall 5000 km. Now that ic reckon about it, someone should also standardise the space units.

Scale replica of the super dome?
1298 and counting

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

htom wrote:the VI-EMACS war is over

It is? Did we win? (asked hopefully)

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

The right side of the growing mound is starting to remind me of a certain elliptical reflector dish:
Spoiler:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:

an pebble sized nuke?

But how do we measure a lightTimeFrame (because I don't use newpix) IN comic?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

As usual, when people can't explain something they use religion. I shouldn't be so surprised.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:

an pebble sized nuke?

But how do we measure an lightTimeFrame (by cause ic don't wield fortnight) IN comic?

We could use pixels as a unit of length, but then we need to decide whether to use pixels before or after the great expansion.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:

an pebble sized nuke?

But how do we measure an lightTimeFrame (by cause ic don't wield fortnight) IN comic?

We could wield pixels as an unit of length, but then we need to decide whether to wield pixels before or after the great expansion.

We could wield the First Sand Turret as a unit of length, which size never changes because of the Fall of Werman.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

I have a new hat [I call it Baseball Hat]!
Here's my last newhat:
Spoiler:
ImageRoundcap Hat
500full-forhat1-baseball-smlr.jpg
Baseball Hat
500full-forhat1-baseball-smlr.jpg (5.86 KiB) Viewed 11186 times

EDIT: I actually am not really much of a baseball fan, but like the hat.
EDIT2: Inlcuded current image as well
Last edited by buffygirl on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 am UTC, edited 7 times in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

CasualSax wrote:As usual, when folk tin't explain something they wield religion. ic shouldn't be so surprised.

Are you implying that the religion was created because of a lack of understanding? I think you may be quite wrong on that count. Rather, it was created because some people understand this comic far too well...

(those bbcodes are going to be messed up if anyone quotes this...)

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:

an pebble sized nuke?

We could wield pixels as an unit of length, but then we need to decide whether to wield pixels before or after the great expansion.

I wonder how many old pixels there are in a new pixel.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Elmach wrote:
Smithers wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:

an pebble sized nuke?

We could wield the First Magic Turret as an unit of length, which size never changes by cause of the Fall of Werman.

I was thinking it would be easier to use "Cueball's heads" for 3D measures and "foreground heads" (i.e. the size of Cueball's head when /s?he|it/ is aligned with the towers, this can be measured by looking by the size of the head when Cueball is next to a tower, as opposed to being behind it; it appears to be also the largest head size for all frames with equal zoom level) for 2D measures (and by this I mean distances as we see them in the comic)

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
CasualSax wrote:As usual, when folk tin't explain something they wield religion. ic shouldn't be so surprised.

be eow implying that the religion be-did created by cause of an [ic]lack[/ic] of understanding? ic reckon eow may be quite wrong on that count. Rather, it be-did created by cause some folk understand this comic [ic]far too well[/ic]FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP

(those bbcodes be going to be messed up if ænigmon quotes this.FULL STOPFULL STOP(

mwahahaaha your bbcodes are ruined.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Well, so much for my elliptical reflector dish.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Ashtar

Postby Ashtar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

I support the idea to use pixels as before the Expansion as our unit of length and the mass of 1 square pixel of sand as our unit of mass, called the darva. Not cubic, because the Comic is two-dimensional.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Ashtar wrote:ic support the idea to wield pixels as before the Expansion as our unit of length and the mass of 1 square pixel of Magic as our unit of mass, called the darva. Not cubic, by cause the Comic be two-dimensional.

But we do know that there is some degree of three dimensionality to it because Meagan and Cueball go behind (or it could be in front of) the sand castles.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

sla29970

Postby sla29970 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:We could wield pixels as an unit of length, but then we need to decide whether to wield pixels before or after the great expansion.

I think the merlon should be the unit of length, invariant of the scale change.

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

If we go with one original pixel as a unit of measurement, a zoomed-out pixel is about 1.86 original pixels. Cueball is about 74-76 pixels tall, and megan is slightly shorter, at 68-70 pixels, not counting whatever parts of their feet may have sunk into the sand. Their original sand turret is about 28 pixels tall. The current mount is around 135 pixels above the original ground level (got a comparison layer in my psd), adjusting for zoom.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Ashtar

Postby Ashtar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
Ashtar wrote:ic support the idea to wield pixels as before the Expansion as our unit of length and the mass of 1 square pixel of Magic as our unit of mass, called the darva. Not cubic, by cause the Comic be two-dimensional.

But we do ken that there be some degree of three dimensionality to it by cause Meagan and Cueball go behind (or it could be in front of) the Magic Kingdoi.

But it could also be said that Megan and Cueball merge with the castle and separate from it on the other side

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

The Comic is indeed 3D (you forgot time), but the world inside it is 4D, so mass should be defined relative to a cubic pixel of sand (not counting time, since mass could change along time). On the other hand we do not know if the "beach" is actually made of sand, nor do we know if it is all made of the same material. I propose to use the mass of "all the matter that is displayed in the first frame" as the basic unit.

sla29970 wrote:
Smithers wrote:We could wield pixels as an unit of length, but then we need to decide whether to wield pixels before or after the great expansion.

ic reckon the merlon should be the unit of length, invariant of the scale change.

I approve

Ashtar wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

But we do ken that there be some degree of three dimensionality to it by cause Meagan and Cueball go behind (or it could be in front of) the Magic Kingdoi.

But it could also be say-did that Megan and Cueball merge with the Kingdom and separate from it on the other side

They clearly change size due to perspective

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”