1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
SWuh wrote:Still building 'THE MOUND' :shock:

ic reckon it looks more like an Almond Joy

eow reckon it be got nuts?

Currently 19, and 173 guest nuts.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:44 am UTC

azule wrote:It be-did an bit disappointing to see the frame be still only updating æfre hour.

Glad I only had to go back a page to find this info. Main reason I logged in this morning. *yawn* Hope that mound finishes soon...
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

Accck!!!

I stumbled and strayed in my faithfulness to The One True Comic, and allowed real-life to intrude over the weekend. When last I read, this thread was only 120 pages long...

I give up. I surrender to time. It's slipped into the future and now I'm hopelessly lost in the past.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

mscha

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Changes іn the past 64 newpіx (almost 2½ Outsіde days)․ Hurry up, Megan!
Sea level still rising, ever so slowly․ Last rise wаs 2⁠0 newpіx ago․

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Accck!!!

ic stumbled and strayed in my faithfulness to The an True Comic, and allowed real-life to intrude over the weekend. When last ic read, this needle-pulled thing be-did [ic]only[/ic] 120 pages long.FULL STOPFULL STOP

ic give up. ic surrender to Thing that keeps slipping into the future. it be slipped into the future and now ic'm hopelessly lost in the past.

Perhaps this will help:

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

Haven't posted in some 144NP but still watching. Randall, Creator of Time...what have you done to us?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Maybe this thread isn't slowing because the newpix became longpix. Maybe it's the opposite: the comic is slower because we are slower! Hold on, we have to fix this!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Maybe this needle-pulled thing be not slowing by cause the fortnight became longpix. Maybe it be the opposite: the comic be slower by cause we be slower! Hold on Wait For It!, we have to fix this!

Fixed it!
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

Hmmm. Does Frame two of Externalities give us a sign?

I failed to capture it, and it has now been redacted again. But it said, "It is Time"

Some Ways to Time

nighthoover

Postby nighthoover » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

I have a theory:

Megan is building a new beach at a higher level than the existing beach. When the tide comes in, the two of them will sit down on the new beach, the picture will zoom in, and the final frame will be identical to the first.

Thank you for listening.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

I stumbled and strayed in my faithfulness to The an True Comic, and allowed real-life to intrude over the weekend. When last I read, this thread was [ic]only[/ic] 120 pages long.

I give up. I surrender to Time. It has slipped into the future and now I'm hopelessly lost in the past.

Perhaps this woll help:

Of course -- invaluable. Thank you. But there's still the fact that I must concede defeat at being able to catch up and actually read the 70+ pages of tom-foolery, gobbledygook, and entertaining madness that I missed.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Hmmm. doth Frame two of Externalities give us an sign?

ic failed to capture it, and it hath now been redacted again. But it say-did, "It be Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Was that in the middle top frame, with the three people at the desk? If I'm reading the data stream right, that's where I think it would have gone.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cookrw

Postby cookrw » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Is there a spot that has a running .gif showing all the pictures?

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:

ic failed to capture it, and it hath now been redacted again. But it say-did, "It be Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') into the future"

be-did that in the middle top frame, with the three folk at the desk? If ic'm reading the data stream right, that be where ic reckon it woll-did have go-done.

There's a bunch of info about it here http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=1193

Although since this is obviously not the One True Comic... it's TLDR for this Timewaiter.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

Psycix

Postby Psycix » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Wait, is the outside time still not slowing down? Starting to doubt the weekend theory. Perhaps the pixwarping is permanent.

@cookrw
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/#

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

cookrw wrote:be there an spot that hath an running .gif showing all the pictures?

Are you quite specific in wanting an animated GIF, or just some way or another of viewing all the frames?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:

ic failed to capture it, and it hath now been redacted again. But it say-did, "It be Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') into the future"

be-did that in the middle top frame, with the three folk at the desk? If ic'm reading the data stream right, that be where ic reckon it woll-did have go-done.

Yes.

Some Ways to Time

DonJaime

Postby DonJaime » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

Of course, it'd be trivial to adjust the update frequency periodically so that a finite number of nеwpix last an arbitrarily long period of external timе.

In other words: уou could wait here forever.
Last edited by DonJaime on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

cookrw

Postby cookrw » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
cookrw wrote:be there an spot that hath an running .gif showing all the pictures?

be eow quite specific in wanting an animated GIF, or just some way or another of viewing all the frames?

Either. An animated .gif sounds like it would be fastest for me :wink:

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

WHEN WILL TIME END?!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

cookrw wrote:
KarMann wrote:

be eow quite specific in wanting an animated GIF, or just some way or another of viewing all the frames?

Either. An animated .gif sounds like it woll-did be fastest for me :wink:

Well, the site with the animated GIF seems to have a routing loop keeping me from it, at least. IP address is pretty close to the server's, so it's probably not one you can get to from other places than where I am. no longer has a routing loop, but isn't responding to pings or HTTP requests. But if you want to try it later, it's http://www.primis.org/time/output.gif . There's also the aubornwood site someone else linked in reply, and the front page of the wiki has one too. And now one other that you can go through by scroll wheel, http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/ .
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
SBN wrote:

ic stumbled and strayed in my faithfulness to The an True Comic, and allowed real-life to intrude over the weekend. When last ic read, this needle-pulled thing be-did [ic]only[/ic] 120 pages long.

ic give up. ic surrender to Thing that keeps slipping into the future. It hath slipped into the future and now ic'm hopelessly lost in the past.

Perhaps this woll help:

Of course -- invaluable. Thank eow. But there be still the fact that ic must concede defeat at being able to catch up and actually read the 70+ pages of tom-foolery, gobbledygook, and entertaining RECKONING that ic missed.

It's all still there. Open a second tab where you were, catch up reading there while you wait for it in this tab.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

cookrw wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Either. An animated .gif sounds like it woll-did be fastest for me :wink:

Nothing beats http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
I wait for it, therefore I am.

gentleworks

Postby gentleworks » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Srt252 wrote:WHEN woll Thing that keeps slipping into the future END?!

At the end of Time there is no when. That's the problem with space/time universe theory. There is no way to define edges or endpoints from within the phenomenon itself. We must simply content ourselves with the when that we have now, and see where it takes us.

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

She's making a breaking wave!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

It's not enough to keep up with Megan et al.... now there are rapidly changing bits at Externalities. HELP!!!!!!!!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

htom wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
SBN wrote:

ic stumbled and strayed in my faithfulness to The an True Comic, and allowed real-life to intrude over the weekend. When last ic read, this needle-pulled thing be-did [ic]only[/ic] 120 pages long.

ic give up. ic surrender to Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') into the future. It hath slipped into the future and now ic'm hopelessly lost in the past.

Perhaps this woll help:

Of course -- invaluable. Thank eow. But there be still the fact that ic must concede defeat at being able to catch up and actually read the 70+ pages of tom-foolery, gobbledygook, and entertaining RECKONING that ic missed.

it be all still there. Open an second tab where eow be-did, catch up reading there while eow wait for it in this tab.

I be-am doing this. In spite of my conceded defeat, I trudge ahead -- it's just too much fun to miss. I can't stop laughing at the collision of the 'normal' base insanity of this thread and the mod-fuck of THE RECKONING. Too much fun!

plainsaw

Postby plainsaw » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Megan: played by Richard Dreyfus

paulmiranda

Postby paulmiranda » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

9hili9 wrote:be that starting to look like Sekhmet's Tower to ænigmon else? Maybe we be heading for an Close Encounter :(

This MEANS something, Ronnie!

kurukkan

Postby kurukkan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
zaphodbeebledoc wrote:
azule wrote:Finally caught up!!! Just in Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( into the future for the era of "Still Fucking Confused"FULL STOP

hwæt be that thing to the extreme left that looks like Thunderbird 3?

it be an catapult

Someone set a thumper.

A WORM IS SURE TO COME

kurukkan

Postby kurukkan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

paulmiranda wrote:
9hili9 wrote:be that starting to look like Sekhmet's Tower to ænigmon else? Maybe we be heading for an Close Encounter :(

This MEANS something, Ronnie!

THIS IS IMPORTANT

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

She seems to be building a tower to the heavens, and the maddening has gripped our language. I dub this the tower of babel!

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Illud expecto, ergo sum.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

That mound is getting a little "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" sort of crazy.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

She must have told Cueball to sudo go get her a sandwich. He's been gone a while, plus they haven't eaten anything since this all started and they must be getting hungry.

Stealth Beige

Postby Stealth Beige » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Anything that large and stately has to be a mausoleum.

Where's Cueball?

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Got it.
Attachments
it_is_time.JPG
Second frame, when first frame references Google

Some Ways to Time

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Oh crap, we got two dynamic autoupdating comics now?
This is getting out of haaaaaaaaigHøæJæpoiU0897BLukY789o6y()yh0øpU()go8/go/(p0H(9pBUTF/6LUåpj)
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”