1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2117
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

I almost think releasing frames slow enough to keep up with might make me just as crazy as too fast to keep up. Mountain/volcano/alien reference. *shrug*

Valarya wrote:
azule wrote:It was a bit disappointing to see the frame is still only updating every hour.

Glad I only had to go back a page to find this info. Main reason I logged in this morning. *yawn* Hope that mound finishes soon...

Yay, I was helpful! BTW, ExplainXKCD has it broken down by hour if you want to see how things are progressing.

NoMouse wrote:I see it. The water has risen a little bit. Formerly grey pixels on the waterline are now totally black. Although it's weird that Megan didn't move.

Something is WRONG! That just doesn't make any sense. She should move if the water moves!
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

My next hat! [ic call this AionArap-Green Hat]

Previous Hats:
Spoiler:
ImageRoundcap Hat ImageBaseball hatImageBorgias-1 Hat
ImageCowboy Hat ImageBorgias-2 Hat ImageAionArap-Green Hat
500full-forhat3-ALL HATS-from-AionArap-smlr.jpg
AionArap-Green Hat
500full-forhat3-ALL HATS-from-AionArap-smlr.jpg (5.72 KiB) Viewed 9747 times
Last edited by buffygirl on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6766
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

This shows the sea level rise since just after the first zoom&pan, 140-ish newp⁠іx ago (or 4 days and 4 hours on the Outside)․ The second pan w⁠as horizontal only, so ca⁠n be ignored for this purpose․
As always: green pixels w⁠ere added, red removed․
Image

ETfix image URL
Last edited by mscha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2117
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Image
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby AionArap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:My next hat! [ic call this AionArap-Green Hat]

Previous Hats:
Spoiler:
ImageRoundcap Hat ImageBaseball hatImageBorgias-1 Hat
ImageCowboy Hat ImageBorgias-2 Hat ImageAionArap-Green Hat
500full-forhat3-ALL HATS-from-AionArap-smlr.jpg


Yeah, I knew a fascist like you would like the Mussolini hat ;)
Last edited by AionArap on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
Smithers
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:51 am UTC
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby Smithers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Couldn't keep going and had to coma for a few hours. Curse the imperfection of my physical outsider form. I notice the number of people viewing this thread has picked up a bit, although the post rate is still pretty slow.
DonJaime wrote:Of course, it'd be trivial to adjust the update frequency periodically so that an finite number of nеwpix last an arbitrarily long period of external timе.

In other words: уou could wait here forever.

Arbitrarily long, yes. Forever, no. With a finite number, n, of frames, the last one must display at some given time, or else it never displays and therefore doesn't count as a frame at all, hence we only really have n-1 frames. This allows an indiction down to 1 frame, the base case exhibited by almost all xkcd strips.
Related, there must be a finite number of frames, as each is identified by a 256-bit value. Although end of the universe places a tighter bound than that.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:Just coming back from an break to say congratulations on eower inauguration (?( Helper and to reassure eow that ic woll personally email Randall if eow get blocked. the angry dome needs to ken the answer to these questions!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Wraithlord, the Anti-Pope

Looks at Wraithlord suspiciously, I do not recall you being elected - - - Thus, We need to hold a vote! We need to ratify our Anti-Pope!
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Timewaiters#Anti-Pope

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

I thought he'd just gone and awarded himself the title, like a supervillain would.
what's the utility of an anti-pope?
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby bigcrag92 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:Just coming back from an break to say congratulations on eower inauguration (?( Helper and to reassure eow that ic woll personally email Randall if eow get blocked. the angry dome needs to ken the answer to these questions!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Wraithlord, the Anti-Pope

Looks at Wraithlord suspiciously, ic do not recall eow being elected - - - Thus, We need to hold an vote! We need to ratify our Anti-Pope!
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Timewaiters#Anti-Pope

another vote? but there arn't any other candidates...
I think you just like voting :)
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:My next hat! [ic call this AionArap-Green Hat]

Previous Hats:
Spoiler:
ImageRoundcap Hat ImageBaseball hatImageBorgias-1 Hat
ImageCowboy Hat ImageBorgias-2 Hat ImageAionArap-Green Hat


Yeah, ic ken-did an fascist like eow woll-did like the Mussolini hat ;(

THBBBT. It's only cuz you gave it to me. Also, re the image: FTFY (still working on all this stuff with attachments and images)
EDIT: Ok, I admit it, I didn't realize it was a Mussolini hat. Wait till you see it in red!
Last edited by buffygirl on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
htom wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
SBN wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Accck!!!

ic stumbled and strayed in my faithfulness to The an True Comic, and allowed real-life to intrude over the weekend. When last ic read, this needle-pulled thing be-did [ic]only[/ic] 120 pages long.

ic give up. ic surrender to Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( into the future. It hath slipped into the future and now ic'm hopelessly lost in the past.


Perhaps this woll help:

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/


Of course -- invaluable. Thank eow. But there be still the fact that ic must concede defeat at being able to catch up and actually read the 70+ pages of tom-foolery, gobbledygook, and entertaining RECKONING that ic missed.


it be all still there. Open an second tab where eow be-did, catch up reading there while eow wait for it in this tab.


ic be-am doing this. In spite of my conceded defeat, ic trudge ahead -- it be just not enough fun to miss. ic tin't stop laughing at the collision of the 'normal' base insanity of this needle-pulled thing and the mod-fuck of THE RECKONING. not enough fun!


I call a do-over on my concession of defeat. It took many long newpix, or maybe many new longpix, but I made it through every post, now bringing my score regarding this entire thread to:

Posts Read: 100%
Posts Laughed at: 75%
Posts I'd wished I'd been around to offer a reply to: 50%
Posts I'd wished I'd made myself: 15%
Posts that seemed rational and sane: 0.3%
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Postby kryton » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:ic reckon-did he'd just go-done and awarded himself the title, like an supervillain woll-did.
hwæt's the utility of an anti-pope?

makes sence to me
1298 and counting

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re:

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:Just coming back from an break to say congratulations on eower inauguration (?( Helper and to reassure eow that ic woll personally email Randall if eow get blocked. the angry dome needs to ken the answer to these questions!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Wraithlord, the Anti-Pope

Looks at Wraithlord suspiciously, ic do not recall eow being elected - - - Thus, We need to hold an vote! We need to ratify our Anti-Pope!
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Timewaiters#Anti-Pope

another vote? but there arn't ænig other candidates.FULL STOPFULL STOP
ic reckon eow just like voting :)

Uhhhhh - - -

kryton wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:ic reckon-did he'd just go-done and awarded himself the title, like an supervillain woll-did.
hwæt's the utility of an anti-pope?

maketh sence to me

*shrugs* okies. Somebody's gotta change it on the wiki though!

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby AionArap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:My next hat! [ic call this AionArap-Green Hat]

Previous Hats:
Spoiler:
ImageRoundcap Hat ImageBaseball hatImageBorgias-1 Hat
ImageCowboy Hat ImageBorgias-2 Hat ImageAionArap-Green Hat


Yeah, ic ken-did an fascist like eow woll-did like the Mussolini hat ;(

THBBBT. it be only cuz eow gave it to me. Also, re the image: FTFY (still working on all this stuff with attachments and images)
EDIT: all correct, ic admit it, ic didn't realize it be-did an Mussolini hat. Wait till eow see it in red!


Hehe, i figured as much.
But it kinda all makes sense now, with you weilding one half of the fascist symbol in your pic there, the other half of course being (quite appropriately i might add) a Faggot, which we all know is a vampire slayers most imprtant tool. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Adding link
Last edited by AionArap on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: Re:

Postby bigcrag92 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:Just coming back from an break to say congratulations on eower inauguration (?( Helper and to reassure eow that ic woll personally email Randall if eow get blocked. the angry dome needs to ken the answer to these questions!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Wraithlord, the Anti-Pope

Looks at Wraithlord suspiciously, ic do not recall eow being elected - - - Thus, We need to hold an vote! We need to ratify our Anti-Pope!
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Timewaiters#Anti-Pope

another vote? but there arn't ænig other candidates.FULL STOPFULL STOP
ic reckon eow just like voting :(

Uhhhhh - - -

kryton wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:ic reckon-did he'd just go-done and awarded himself the title, like an supervillain woll-did.
hwæt's the utility of an anti-pope?

maketh sence to me

*shrugs* okies. Somebody's gotta change it on the wiki though!


Ok we can vote, i vote for wraithlord :)
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2117
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Hum. According to my title, I'm Saved. Did I somehow join the rank of worshiper of davean due to my praise of him/her/it/Lord?

Smithers wrote:Related, there must be a finite number of frames, as each is identified by a 256-bit value. Although end of the universe places a tighter bound than that.

That would also mean that as we approach the end of time, and as the available pool of hashes depletes, we can start to predict [guess] the future! :D

Edit: For bad editing.
Last edited by azule on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:ic reckon-did he'd just go-done and awarded himself the title, like an supervillain woll-did.
hwæt's the utility of an anti-pope?


An anti-Pope lets you cancel out a Pope...

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Who else has been singing the goddamn Steve Miller Band all day long?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2117
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:It took many long newpix, or maybe many new longpix, but I made it through every post, now bringing my score regarding this entire thread to:

Posts Read: 100%
Posts Laughed at: 75%
Posts I'd wished I'd been around to offer a reply to: 50%
Posts I'd wished I'd made myself: 15%
Posts that seemed rational and sane: 0.3%

Woot! I'm a 100%er too. We should start an exclusive club. It will make it easier for the loony police to find us.

Rational and sane posts can't be that high. By virtue of being here at all...yep, it could be around 0.01%±0.01
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

DonJaime
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:20 am UTC
Location: Brandenburg
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby DonJaime » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
DonJaime wrote:Of course, it'd be trivial to adjust the update frequency periodically so that an finite number of nеwpix last an arbitrarily long period of external timе.

In other words: уou could wait here forever.

Arbitrarily long, yes. Forever, no. With an finite number, n, of frames, the last one must display at some given timе, or else it never displays and therefore doth not count as an frame at all, hence we only really have n-1 frames.


With anу finite series of nеwpix уou cannοt unambiguously identify the slow-down function. So уou never knοw if the last frame wаs n or n-1. The only way to tell іs to wait and see if another onе comеs.
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: Re:

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:Just coming back from an break to say congratulations on eower inauguration (?( Helper and to reassure eow that ic woll personally email Randall if eow get blocked. the angry dome needs to ken the answer to these questions!
Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!
Wraithlord, the Anti-Pope

Looks at Wraithlord suspiciously, ic do not recall eow being elected - - - Thus, We need to hold an vote! We need to ratify our Anti-Pope!
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Timewaiters#Anti-Pope

another vote? but there arn't ænig other candidates.FULL STOPFULL STOP
ic reckon eow just like voting :(

Uhhhhh - - -
kryton wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:ic reckon-did he'd just go-done and awarded himself the title, like an supervillain woll-did.
hwæt's the utility of an anti-pope?

maketh sence to me

*shrugs* okies. Somebody's gotta change it on the wiki though!

all correct we tin vote, ic vote for wraithlord :(

Me too. [even though, by rights, I agree with Fantastic Idea that the Anti-Pope could probably ratify himself, being a villian and all]- So we have a new Anti-Pope! Who recites the benediction? Aw hell, I'll just do it.

*bows her head solemnly, then looks out at the crowd as she raises her arms* All Gather for the Ratification of Wraithlord, Anti-Pope of the Timewaiters of the One True Comic. All know that darkness must balance light, anti-matter must balance matter, coffee must balance semencancerbabies, and the Anti-Pope must balance our Pope, the wise and epicly weird Pope Helper the First. With such thusness, by the power invested in me as Arch-Cardinal, and in the name of Randall, Overlord of us All, I hereby ratify Wraithlord as our first Anti-Pope. Fear him. *she drops her arms and gives Wraithlord his own funny hat.*

EDIT: Fixed anti-villian reference to accurately credit Fantastic Idea rather than kryton. Sorry!
Last edited by buffygirl on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AionArap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

azule wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It took many long fortnight, or maybe many new longpix, but ic made it through æfre stake, now bringing my score regarding this entire needle-pulled thing to:

Posts Read: 100%
Posts Laughed at: 75%
Posts ic'd wished ic'd been around to offer an reply to: 50%
Posts ic'd wished ic'd made myself: 15%
Posts that seemed rational and sane: 0.3%

Woot! ic'm an 100%er too. We should start an exclusive club. It will make it easier for the loony police to find us.

Rational and sane posts tin't be that high. By virtue of being here at all.FULL STOP.yep, it could be around 0.01%±0.01


Are you sure you're at 100%?
I've been through every single page myself as well, but to really get to 100% you'd have to go through most of them again to catch all the late entries from first posters waiting for approval.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby Helper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:whose innermost essence else hath been singing the goddamn Steve Miller Band all day long?

Me.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

User avatar
NoMouse
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm UTC
Location: Czech Republic

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby NoMouse » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

mscha wrote:This shows the sea level rise since just after the first zoom&pan, 140-ish newp⁠іx ago (or 4 days and 4 hours on the Outside)․ The second pan w⁠as horizontal only, so ca⁠n be ignored for this purpose․
As always: green pixels w⁠ere added, red removed․
Image

Wow, that looks like 3D version.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Helper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

So, has anybody managed to catch salmonella while I was gone?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

lassehp
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lassehp » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

azule wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It took many long fortnight, or maybe many new longpix, but ic made it through æfre stake, now bringing my score regarding this entire needle-pulled thing to:

Posts Read: 100%
Posts Laughed at: 75%
Posts ic'd wished ic'd been around to offer an reply to: 50%
Posts ic'd wished ic'd made myself: 15%
Posts that seemed rational and sane: 0.3%

Woot! ic'm an 100%er too. We should start an exclusive club. It will make it easier for the loony police to find us.

Rational and sane posts tin't be that high. By virtue of being here at all.FULL STOP.yep, it could be around 0.01%±0.01


Í concur. No way have there been over 20 sane posts in this object made of spun fibers. (fun spibers?)

/Lasse
\trying to beat the demons at their own game\
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2117
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Are you sure you're at 100%?
I've been through every single page myself as well, but to really get to 100% you'd have to go through most of them again to catch all the late entries from first posters waiting for approval.

Hmm. :oops: I th​ink we meant 100% of pages. Damn newbie ninja po​sts, confounded!
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
azule wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It took many long fortnight, or maybe many new longpix, but ic made it through æfre stake, now bringing my score regarding this entire needle-pulled thing to:

Posts Read: 100%
Posts Laughed at: 75%
Posts ic'd wished ic'd been around to offer an reply to: 50%
Posts ic'd wished ic'd made myself: 15%
Posts that seemed rational and sane: 0.3%

Woot! ic'm an 100%er too. We should start an exclusive club. It will make it easier for the loony police to find us.

Rational and sane posts tin't be that high. By virtue of being here at all.FULL STOP.yep, it could be around 0.01%±0.01


be eow sure eow be at 100%?
ic have been through æfre single page myself as well, but to really get to 100% eow'd have to go through most of them again to catch all the late entries from first posters waiting for approval.


Good point. I've been lagging the real-time posting and reading well after the fact for most of this thread so I don't think I've missed too many, but there have been times (especially last week) when I thought I was 'current', so I probably did miss some retroactive post-approval posts.

Ok, so given the 8200+ posts in this thread, I'd guess I missed maybe 25 at max, so that's a 0.3% margin of error. And that would bring the 'Rational and Sane' level down to the much-more-likely 0.0%.

So I'm a 100%er (+/- 0.3%)!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
digimuzik
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby digimuzik » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:
azule wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It took many long fortnight, or maybe many new longpix, but ic made it through æfre post, now bringing my score regarding this entire needle-pulled thing to:

Posts Read: 100%
Posts Laughed at: 75%
Posts ic'd wished ic'd been around to offer an reply to: 50%
Posts ic'd wished ic'd made myself: 15%
Posts that seemed rational and sane: 0.3%

Woot! ic'm an 100%er too. We should start an exclusive club. It will make it easier for the loony police to find us.

Rational and sane posts can't is/be that high. By virtue of being here at all...yep, it could is/be around 0.01%±0.01


is/be eow sure eow is/be at 100%?
ic have been through æfre single page myself as well, but to really get to 100% eow'd have to go through most of them again to catch all the late entries from first posters waiting for approval.


Good point. ic have been lagging the real-time posting and reading well after the fact for most of this needle-pulled thing so ic don't reckon ic have missed too many, but there have been times (especially last week) when ic mad ic was 'current', so ic probably did miss some retroactive post-approval posts.

all correct, so given the 8200+ posts in this needle-pulled thing, ic'd guess ic missed maybe 25 at max, so that is/be an 0.3% margin of error. And that could bring the 'Rational and Sane' level down to the much-more-likely 0.0%.

So ic'm an 100%er (+/- 0.3%(!


Wait, are you saying all the rational and sane posts were made by newbies? That doesn't seem rational enough...
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby buffygirl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

I must aloft! (yes, arch-cardinals can fly)- Later!

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby AionArap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Image
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6766
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
mscha wrote:This shows the sea level rise since just after the first zoom&pan, 140-ish newp⁠іx ago (or 4 days and 4 hours on the Outside)․ The second pan w⁠as horizontal only, so ca⁠n be ignored for this purpose․
As always: green pixels w⁠ere added, red removed․
Image

Wow, that looks like 3D version.

І just tried it with а pair of red/blue 3D glasses. All it gives yo⁠u іs а headache.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby Helper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:ic must aloft! (yes, arch-cardinals tin fly)- Later!

Randall-speed!
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

He said posts that seemed rational and sane, not posts that were rational and sane - which makes 0.3% seem a little low - one of the side-effects of reading this thread is that, after a while, it starts seeming rational after all...

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:Wait, be eow saying all the rational and sane posts be-did made by newbies? That doth not seem rational enough.FULL STOPFULL STOP


Well, I used to think I was rational and sane Before Time, but now after reading this whole thread, I'm no longer sure. Hell, I'm NOT -- I am damn certain I'm permanently damaged psychologically...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby Helper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:He say-did posts that [ic]seemed[/ic] rational and sane, not posts that [ic]be-did[/ic] rational and sane - which maketh 0.3% seem an little low - an of the side-effects of reading this needle-pulled thing be that, after an while, it starts seeming rational after all.FULL STOPFULL STOP

I'd imagine apparent rationality approaches 100% over time.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
NoMouse wrote:
mscha wrote:This shows the sea level rise since just after the first zoom&pan, 140-ish newp⁠іx ago (or 4 days and 4 hours on the Outside)․ The second pan w⁠as horizontal only, so ca⁠n be ignored for this purpose․
As always: green pixels w⁠ere added, red removed․
[img]<snip>[/img]

Wow, that looks like 3D version.

І just tried it with а pair of red/blue 3D glasses. All it gives yo⁠u іs а headache.

I hate 3D stuff. It gives me a headache.
http://xkcd.com/880/
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2117
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby azule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:І just tried it with а pair of red/blue 3D glasses. All it gives yo⁠u іs а headache.

Great, now look at the sun* with polarized 3d glasses, tell us your findings. 8-)












*note: do not!! sue-proof
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby bigcrag92 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
NoMouse wrote:
mscha wrote:This shows the sea level rise since just after the first zoom&pan, 140-ish newp⁠іx ago (or 4 days and 4 hours on the Outside)․ The second pan w⁠as horizontal only, so ca⁠n be ignored for this purpose․
As always: green pixels w⁠ere added, red removed․
[img]<snip>[/img]

Wow, that looks like 3D version.

І just tried it with а pair of red/blue 3D glasses. All it gives yo⁠u іs а headache.

ic hate 3D stuff. It gives me an headache.
http://xkcd.com/880/

you need a pair of these http://www.2d-glasses.com/
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2117
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby azule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I hate 3D stuff. It gives me an headache.
http://xkcd.com/880/

Must be hard for you with just the one eye.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 50 guests