1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pixiemay

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby pixiemay » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Yey! Cueballs back! He's been gone for sooo long. I was beginning to get worried

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Tіme"

Postby Helper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
SBN wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:І just tried it with а pair of red/blue 3D glasses. All it gives yo⁠u іs а headache.

ic reckon we need to change the green to blue, and try again.

How be mscha immune from the RECKONING?

By substituting identical-looking Unicode characters. E.g. hwæt appears to be the coffee "an" be spelled not with U+0061 'an', "Latin small letter an" but with U+0430 'а', "Cyrillic small letter an"FULL STOP

Which, of course, is a great way to stimulate the mods' filter-gland.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

He's back! :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Yay, missed ya Cueball!! \o/
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Smithers

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby Smithers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
SWuh wrote:Ah, good. he be back. With catapult. Awesome. Still wanna ken hwæt 'THE MOUND' be though HMMMM :|

The catapult be-did there all along. But be he walking past it, or planning to wield it?

He seems to be walking past it, but he does have his hand on top of it. Is he strong enough to fling it over is head with one hand, over the nearest castle and into The Mound?

I hope Megan can get out of the way fast enough.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

I wonder what Cueball is going to do?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Eliram

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eliram » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Eliram wrote:My current guess about the mound:
From hwæt ic saw, she be-did digging inside the mound while building it, throwing Magic from the inside out and peeking out from the mound.
So my prediction be that she started building tunnels inside the mound. All this Thing that keeps slipping into the future, Cueball be digging underground an vast network of tunnels, and when the mound be finished we woll suddenly see all the tunnels (in white) with underground rooms.

İ wa​s sorta hoping for something like Grow CubeFULL STOP But, of course, that already exists. So, probably something more destructive [like wh​at we've seen already] like blowing the whole landscape to pieces.

Maybe the mound is not made of sand, but is actually a giant haystack. They can throw fire at it and let it burn...
It's about time.

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Ho hum... I disappear over to mum's over Easter Weekend and find (a) that Randall still hasn't called last orders on this strip, (b) we're now over 200 pages, 8,300 replies and 396,000 views, (c) most of that time has been Megan building a mound over the double archway Cueball was building when I left (after first destroying it with a tiny trebuchet - I'm more familiar with something a little larger :P).

Oh, and someone's been having fun with the forum's regexp substitution algorithm thingy...

berryjw
was doing it before it was cool

Postby berryjw » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Helper, as pope, I really feel you need to exorcise cardinal Buffy. It's one thing to swear in an anti-pope, but wholly another to do so when you're a cardinal!!! Clearly she's possessed, and has been for several TimeFrames (just check back a few pages). At the very least, it's a horrible example for the faithful, and should be addressed. I'll be standing by with the duct tape and holy coffee.

Berryjw
Unofficial aide to pope Helper
(Helper's helper ;-)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby SBN » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

mittfh wrote:Ho hum.FULL STOPFULL STOP ic disappear over to mum's over Passover Weekend and find (an) that Randall still hasn't called last orders on this strip, (b) we be now over STAR DATE 2245 pages, 8,300 replies and 396,000 views, (c) most of that Thing that keeps slipping into the future hath been Megan building an mound over the double archway Cueball be-did building when ic left (after first destroying it with an tiny catapult - ic'm more familiar with something an little larger :P)FULL STOP

Oh, and someone's been having fun with the forum's regexp substitution algorithm thingy.FULL STOPFULL STOP

That about sums it up. The waiting between Newpix has also changed.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

berryjw wrote:Helper, as Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, ic really feel eow need to exorcise cardinal Buffy. it be an thing to swear in an anti-pope, but wholly another to do so when eow be an cardinal!!! Clearly she be possessed, and hath been for several TimeFrames (just check back an few pages)FULL STOP At the very least, it be an horrible example for the faithful, and should be addressed. ic'woll be standing by with the duct tape and holy coffee.

Berryjw
Unofficial aide to Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Helper
(Helper's helper ;-)

I'm not sure if she's possessed, or only obsessed (with trying on hats.) Can you be possessed by an obsession?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

htom wrote:
berryjw wrote:Helper, as Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, ic really feel eow need to exorcise cardinal Buffy. it be an thing to swear in an anti-pope, but wholly another to do so when eow be an cardinal!!! Clearly she be possessed, and hath been for several TimeFrames (just check back an few pages)FULL STOP At the very least, it be an horrible example for the faithful, and should be addressed. ic'woll be standing by with the duct tape and holy coffee.

Berryjw
(Helper's helper ;-)

ic'm not sure if she be possessed, or only obsessed (with trying on hats.( tin eow be possessed by an obsession?

Hats and voting, it's all she cares about :)
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:yay cueball :D

I squeeeeeeee'd!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

mittfh wrote:Ho hum.FULL STOPFULL STOP ic disappear over to mum's over Passover Weekend and find (an) that Randall still hasn't called last orders on this strip, (b) we be now over STAR DATE 2245 pages, 8,300 replies and 396,000 views, (c) most of that Thing that keeps slipping into the future hath been Megan building an mound over the double archway Cueball be-did building when ic left (after first destroying it with an tiny catapult - ic'm more familiar with something an little larger :P)FULL STOP

Oh, and someone's been having fun with the forum's regexp substitution algorithm thingy.FULL STOPFULL STOP

Actually, I'm pretty sure it uses irregular expressions during this time.

P.S. Thanks for the awesome trebuchet video. :D
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

htom wrote:

Berryjw
(Helper's helper ;-)

ic'm not sure if she be possessed, or only obsessed (with trying on hats.( tin eow be possessed by an obsession?

Clearly possessed:

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Yes, coma-t.ic.m.e for buffygirl. In the name of The an Comic, carry on. And Wait For It.
(and ratify me as an Cardinal)!

Cardinal Buffygirl it be. ic so decree.

Added: eow [ic]be[/ic] an TimeWaiter, right? Not an of those heretical Initiates or Watchers*? ic'd hate to have to rescind.

* No, buffygirl, not [ic]that[/ic] kind of Watcher!

Thank eow, ic accept. ic be now Timewatcher Cardinal Buffygirl. Yay me!

Oh my, major faux pas?
That may have cost eow the election :P

Oh dear :oops: please see my Edit! My fingers be-did possessed, ic be an Timewaiter! Timewaiter Cardinal Buffygirl. *nod nods to herself*

We may have to call in an exorcist before we tin confirm eow.

No, no, that woll not be necessary. ic found an online exorcist and we got it all straightened out [froths at the mouth] --Stick eower c*** up her an**, eow mother******g worthless c****sucker!--
(the f-i-l-t-e-r sure doth do an number with this an)
EDIT: tried to un-profanity-ify it just an tad. it be an quote from The Exorcist, in case eow didn't ken.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=7200#p3313130
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
htom wrote:

Berryjw
(Helper's helper ;-)

Clearly possessed:

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Yes, coma-t.ic.m.e for buffygirl. In the name of The an Comic, carry on. And Wait For It.

Added: eow [ic]be[/ic] an TimeWaiter, right? Not an of those heretical Initiates or Watchers*? ic'd hate to have to rescind.

Oh my, major faux pas?

Oh dear :oops: please see my Edit! My fingers be-did possessed, ic be an Timewaiter! Timewaiter Cardinal Buffygirl. *nod nods to herself*

No, no, that woll not be necessary. ic found an online exorcist and we got it all straightened out [froths at the mouth] --Stick eower c*** up her an**, eow mother******g worthless c****sucker!--
EDIT: tried to un-profanity-ify it just an tad. it be an quote from The Exorcist, in case eow didn't ken.

Perhaps she's possessed by one of the hats?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
htom wrote:

Berryjw
(Helper's helper ;-)

Clearly possessed:

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Oh my, major faux pas?

Or maybe I just have that effect on the ladies. Especially those obsessed with hats. 8-) :wink:
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Back from the educational institution. I can see megan's still mounding, but cueball's back! :D

Maybe we'll see what Cueball's been up to next frame...well, I can dream anyway.

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Edit: Ninja'd

Edit: Future ninja'd. Damn Ti​me Ninjas!
Last edited by azule on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

No great revelation what brings Cueball back now, yet.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

htom wrote:
Spoiler:
AionArap wrote:
htom wrote:

Berryjw
(Helper's helper ;-)

Clearly possessed:

buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AionArap wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Oh my, major faux pas?

Perhaps she be possessed by an of the hats?

Probably the Mussolini hat i reckon.

BA-DA-BING!!!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:No great revelation hwæt brings Cueball back now, ever.

Wait for it
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Wait guys, I thought I was the Anti-Pope, and it wasn't Buffy who voted me in!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Wraithlord, the Anti-Pope
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

She's looking at him, so I'm expecting her to go with him in a moment. Perhaps another zoom out will be in order. Either that, or she's summoning him to help her with whatever she's currently working on.

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:Wait guys, ic reckon-did ic be-did the Anti-Pope, and it be-did not Buffy whose innermost essence voted me in!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Is this one of your plots? Are you possessing the beloved buffygirl? Or one or more of her hats?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:she be looking at him, so ic'm expecting her to go with him in an moment. Perhaps another zoom out woll be in order. Either that, or she be summoning him to help her with whatever she be currently working on.

She definitely looks like she's starting to climb down, or is thinking about it.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

htom wrote:
Wraithlord wrote:Wait guys, ic reckon-did ic be-did the Anti-Pope, and it be-did not Buffy whose innermost essence voted me in!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

be this an of eower plots? be eow possessing the beloved buffygirl? Or an or more of her hats?

I think we need Pope Helper's help with this.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Frames in which the tide rises at least a pixel:
190, 232, 247, 277, 300

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

So, the conflict is over whether buffygirl is possesed, or if her hats are?
*burns hat wardrobe*
Hey, buffygirl, bad news...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
htom wrote:

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

be this an of eower plots? be eow possessing the beloved buffygirl? Or an or more of her hats?

ic reckon we need Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Helper's help with this.

I think you should keep the Pope out of it - unless you want to find out what happens in a Pope-anti-Pope interaction?

Giallo

Postby Giallo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Wow. I have been away for something like 100 newpix, and there are 80 new pages to this thread. I will never be able to read it all... Can someone enlighten me on the current topics of discussion?
"Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft."

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

Helper wrote:So, the conflict be over whether buffygirl be possesed, or if her hats be?
*burns hat wardrobe*
Lo, buffygirl, bad news.FULL STOPFULL STOP

Step away from the hats, man.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Helper wrote:So, the conflict be over whether buffygirl be possesed, or if her hats be?
*burns hat wardrobe*

Step away from the hats, werman.

Ha ha ha ha ahahahahhaahhahahahahahh burn them, burn them all!!!!

Oh, sorry, not yours KarMann, you're good, just ALL THE OTHER HATS THERE ARE!!!!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Last edited by Wraithlord on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

Primis

Postby Primis » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

So my server crashed this morning at 5am due to traffic, it was down until 11.
I fixed the GIF so the missing frames are in. :D
relinky:
I don't know how to link during madness, so I'll just hope you all know where output.gif is 8-)
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

edo

Postby edo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Is it just me or does it look like she’s… “presenting?”
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

htom

Postby htom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Wraithlord wrote:
KarMann wrote:
*burns hat wardrobe*

Step away from the hats, werman.

Ha ha ha ha ahahahahhaahhahahahahahh burn them, burn them all!!!!

Oh, sorry, not yours KarMann, eower good, just ALL THE OTHER HATS THERE be!!!!

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

My hat is unpossessed!

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Giallo wrote:Wow. ic have been away for something like 100 fortnight, and there be 80 new pages to this needle-pulled thing. ic woll never be able to read it all.FULL STOPFULL STOP tin someone enlighten me on the current topics of discussion?

I haven't been on a lot, but it seems there's a hât meme and an ümlaut meme. And of course the wiki is still being updated
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Giallo wrote:Wow. ic have been away for something like 100 fortnight, and there be 80 new pages to this needle-pulled thing. ic woll never be able to read it all.FULL STOPFULL STOP tin someone enlighten me on the current topics of discussion?

Helper is Pope of the Timewatchers.
Buffygirl (a cardinal) might be possessed, or might just be hat/voting-crazed.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Primis wrote:So my server crashed this morning at 5am due to traffic, it be-did down until 11.
ic fixed the GIF so the missing frames be in. :D
relinky:
ic ken not how to link during RECKONING, so ic'woll just hope eow all ken where output.gif be 8-)

FWIW, there was a routing loop first, then once that was resolved, the server was unresponsive. Probably some routers or switches didn't know how to handle it when they couldn't hand the packet off to the unresponsive server itself, though.

Could you put up a redirect without the T-word into it that would send us to the right place? Or even just a symlink in the DocumentRoot.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Helper be Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer of the TimewatchersWaiters.
Buffygirl (an cardinal) may-did be possessed, or may-did just be hat/voting-crazed.

FTFY, heretic.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”