1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joaquimds

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby joaquimds » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:30 am UTC

RANDALL = GOD

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 am UTC

I think that what she means by "where the river is" is "what can you tell about its level"... Maybe it was low due to dry climate or human action, but should be subject to change... Maybe it will drown their beautiful work... :?
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:38 am UTC

Actually, he says it was far OUT and is retreating... Maybe the river was too high and is lowering now... But is the river the water we see???? On aubronwood, I see the water level coming up on frame 318, she was looking at it and next frame she came closer to it... What does all this mean???
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

r34ver

Postby r34ver » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am UTC

Could it be that the hash breaking competition for Monday's comic is somehow related to the way in which Randall is obfuscating the subsequent frames of 1190? At the risk of ousting myself, I have no idea what a hash is, or what a competition to win one involves but I think I ensured that my School doesn't end up plumb last by mashing the keyboard.

How long is this madness going to go on for?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:41 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:What does all this mean???

Pretty sure it means productivity will be down again today.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:Actually, he says it was far OUT and is retreating... Maybe the river was too high and is lowering now... But is the river the water we see???? On aubronwood, I see the water level coming up on frame 318, she was looking at it and next frame she came closer to it... What does all this mean???

Actually he says it is far out. I'm no native speaker (heh, at least not regarding the English language). So maybe a native should elaborate the most probable intention of his statements. I would guess: He wanted to say that the river is currently far out, even farer than the week before.

Of course, this is what Cueball believes (or says he believes).
He might as well err on the wet side. :)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

igor

Postby igor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 am UTC

Given the title "Time", could the river be The Time Rivers: An Ancient Map of Time Revealing the Secret Legacy and Destiny of Human Civilization?

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 am UTC

She's asking because she can't see over the big block of sand she built.
And why would she just happen to randomly insert a statement that confirms that the fluid is a water river
(and not coffee/mercury/semen/methane/caffinatedcancerbabyurine)
unless Randall
(not watching directly but getting reports from his angles who watch all) is feeding back a little based on the forum?

Or just a really neat coincidence?

Theory: where they are standing is normally underwater, the river retreated a lot and exposed this wonderful sandbar that they are having fun on. the liquid to the right of the frame is a tide-pool like puddle left when the river retreated, though probably a bit stagnant and full of organic riverbottom sludge?
1298 and counting

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 am UTC

The fact that cueball says 'STILL pretty far out' suggests that they are (and have been) waiting for the river all the time. The whole sandcastle building may just have been a pastime.
Last edited by Magdiragdag on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:46 am UTC

To my mind that statement makes NO sense. Perhaps they are building all this in a Dried up river bed?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

pixiemay

Postby pixiemay » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 am UTC

I thought I could wait for it, but now I'm not so sure :?

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 am UTC

and if explain xkcd is correct that this frame appeared at 4 AM, no one has mentioned that we are now in superlongpix (4 hours?)
1298 and counting

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 am UTC

kryton wrote:She's asking because she can't see over the big block of sand she built.

Not very likely, she's been on the other side of the mound only a few frames ago
kryton wrote:Theory: where they are standing is normally underwater, the river retreated a lot and exposed this wonderful sandbar that they are having fun on. the liquid to the right of the frame is a tide-pool like puddle left when the river retreated, though probably a bit stagnant and full of organic riverbottom sludge?

Thought so as well, maybe an oncoming flash flood.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:52 am UTC

kryton wrote:and if explain xkcd is correct that this frame appeared at 4 AM, no one has mentioned that we are now in superlongpix (4 hours?)

Newpix are arriving at the top of each Outside hour.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:56 am UTC

SBN wrote:
kryton wrote:and if explain xkcd is correct that this frame appeared at 4 AM, no one has mentioned that we are now in superlongpix (4 hours?)

Newpix are arriving at the top of each Outside hour.

just checked xkcd[dot]aubronwood[dot]com and i see that now, explain xkcd is off by 3, it is showing 7am's newpix as 4 am's and nothing after.
1298 and counting

FyKnight

Postby FyKnight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 am UTC

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming that the river must be made of water? It could just as well be a volcano-lava river that is coming to engulf the whole settlement.

And it seems pretty clear that the slowly-rising liquid is not the river being discussed.

I don't think this revelation has limited any of our existing theories (well... your theories, since I have mostly been lurking :) ). All it has done is add on more to our knowledge of the (inside) world!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

I wonder which river. River Tam?

[edit] Ninja'd. Suddenly it is 11pm and I must sleep for several newpix.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I wonder which river. River Tam?

I just reloaded the page so I could say that. :D

Maybe the level of the river-like thing we can see is rising because of meltwater from the snow they're building with.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

willyshop

Postby willyshop » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Large tidal flats often have channels in them where the water drains when the tide goes out. One might reasonably call these rivers, and they can move around. They could also very well be a mile or more from the sandy part of the beach.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

Does that consist of reaver blood?
I think we may have a new theory as to the composition of the liquid here...
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

Maybe "the river" is a person?

Kinda like a mix of River Phoenix and "the Dude", and with a moniker like that -- lowercase and referred to as "it", this person would have to be pretty far out...

EDIT: Ninja'd by the River Tam references... and she IS far out...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:It be an river!!!

Time is a river.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Magdiragdag wrote:
kryton wrote:She's asking because she can't see over the big block of sand she built.

Not very likely, she's been on the other side of the mound only a few frames ago

She's asking because he's in a better position to judge, as he's standing on the look-out post (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3315132#p3315132) she built especially for that purpose.

Perhaps that's why she brought the trebuchet to destroy his arches. In the middle of construction she repurposed it from a pastime to an aid to observation.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Kieryn wrote:It's been many newpix since I last posted, but I was wondering if since Megan's fall and reunification with Cueball we are kind of in a new period? I know it's still a building period, but I feel that now they are together again the 'feel' is different enough to warrant a new era.

The Return of Cueball perhaps. Though he's already left once before, hasn't he? Maybe the Second (Third/Fourth if you count Megan's returns) Reunification.

The Third Coming of Cueball?

Thus the source of the sand-semenization...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Maybe there's a river on the far left which joins up with the lake on the right during the rainy season, and they're waiting for it to come coursing through their sandcastles.

It's a river of vinegar and the sand castles are made of baking soda and the lake is made of bleach/semen, you see. Or maybe there is lye involved and they're building NaOH's ark. Wait for it.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

I note that some posters still have their (mod-assigned?) lables under their usernames on the right.

SBN is still Saved and on the previous page azule is also Saved and bigcrag92 is still Cardinal.

Karmann's is still going on about hats and HAL9000 is still Not Red.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

Or River Song?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

FayZee

Postby FayZee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Maybe there's a river on the far left which joins up with the lake on the right during the rainy season, and they're waiting for it to come coursing through their sandcastles.

That mound does look pretty much like some kind of boat.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:I note that some posters still have their (mod-assigned?) lables under their usernames on the right.

SBN is still Saved and on the previous page azule is also Saved and bigcrag92 is still Cardinal.

Karmann's is still going on about hats and HAL9000 is still Not Red.
And I'm still awake even though it's almost Wednesday :(

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:

Does that consist of reaver blood?
I think we may have a new theory as to the composition of the liquid here...

they are enjoying the warmth of the 'Summer Glau'
1298 and counting

bob443@mahaska.org

Postby bob443@mahaska.org » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

Is there anywhere I can see each individual frame?

I didn't really get the joke on day 1, and didn't look back 'til today. I think I missed a bunch of stuff.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

willyshop wrote:Large tidal flats often have channels in them where the water drains when the tide goes out. One might reasonably call these rivers, and they can move around. They could also very well be a mile or more from the sandy part of the beach.

I believe Megan would know the difference between a river and a tidal creek.

My thoughts remain unrefuted: She observed that the water has risen and checked with Cueball, who may have read in the weather report (or got his belief from other "reliable" sources) that the river does not yet carry snowmelt or rainy season high water.

@Bob: Check the wiki page on explainxkcd.com (here).

"Tidal Creek Tam" would be an ugly name. Not as strange as "Robert');DROP TABLE students; --", but ... the child would be doomed to have "moods".
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

bob443@mahaska.org wrote:Is there anywhere I can see each individual frame?

I didn't really get the joke on day 1, and didn't look back 'til today. I think I missed a bunch of stuff.

You sure did........this has all the frames, and here's a link to the wiki about the comic and thread (yes, there's a wiki......there's also a religion, if that puts it in perspective).

Good luck.

EDIT: *somewhat ninja'd*
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

However, I believe "the river" must be visible from where Cueball had been when out of pic - but isn't from the sandcastle site!

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Coming this summer....

Summer is coming. The River is thusly coming?
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:However, I believe "the river" must be visible from where Cueball had been when out of pic - but isn't from the sandcastle site!

maybe that explains where he has been all this time?
1298 and counting

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

You haven't missed anything. We still don't get the joke after moving our entire virtual and spiritual lives on here.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:

You haven't missed anything. We still don't get the joke after moving our entire virtual and spiritual lives on here.

I kind of assumed that was the joke.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

She was just at the water a couple of frames ago, so I sincerely doubt that is "the river". Randall has certainly stirred the pot though.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”