1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

JCPenney

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby JCPenney » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Maybe the "river" represents time itself, as well as a literal river. Cueball mentions that it has "retreated this week," which could refer to the frame rate slowing from standard newpix to longpix.

Also,
kryton wrote:
mybrainhurts wrote:However, I believe "the river" must be visible from where Cueball had been when out of pic - but isn't from the sandcastle site!

maybe that explains where he has been all this time?

Agreed - I believe Cueball was checking on the status of the river, possibly both times he left for unexplained reasons.
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

The water to the right (we DO know it's water since they swam in it) has risen considerably lately. Just compare frame 217 with frame 322. The water level is much higher now. I think the sandcastles are getting destroyed by the water. Then if the water is the river is another question.

Edit: Could someone do one of those pixelcompare pics and post it here so it can be seen better?

Edit2: Also comparing 163 with 215 would be good. You can also see it there that the water level has changed. Anyone able to figure out how fast the tide is rising?
Last edited by Jonas79 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

newpix.

Nice platform. You could mount a trébuchet on it.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

jaycim

Postby jaycim » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:Coming this summer....

Summer is coming. The River is thusly coming?

Yay! The long awaited sequel to "River Tam beating up dinosaurs". :D

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
SBN wrote:
kryton wrote:and if explain xkcd is correct that this frame appeared at 4 AM, no one has mentioned that we are now in superlongpix (4 hours?)

Newpix are arriving at the top of each Outside hour.

just checked xkcd[dot]aubronwood[dot]com and i see that now, explain xkcd is off by 3, it is showing 7am's newpix as 4 am's and nothing after.

Are you taking time zones into account? E.g. the river one was 4 AM PDT/MST, 7 AM EDT (Great Lord Randall's Time), 11:00 UTC. I don't know which explainxkcd uses.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

esskaybee

Postby esskaybee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

I'm perfectly willing to admit that the Waiting over the last eight days may have melted my brain, but what they're building is starting to look to me like the top of a submarine. Am I just losing it?

I wait.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:I note that some posters still have their (mod-assigned?) lables under their usernames on the right.
SBN is still Saved and on the previous page azule is also Saved and bigcrag92 is still Cardinal.
Karmann's is still going on about hats and HAL9000 is still Not Red.

Those labels are a pretty standard phpBB feature; nothing to do with the RECKONING.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:Image

It be an river!!!

Shouldn't that be 'Its actually retreated' (no apostrophe)?
Does 'Any idea where the river is now?' imply that she knew where it was before, and as her information source is Cueball and we didn't hear her ask him about the river till now, then before means before the One Comic started?
Does 'retreated a little this week' therefore refer to the week since the comic started, and they are living in Outsider time?

Would a dried up river leave swimable puddles and wouldn't a glacial melt river be bitterly cold?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

esskaybee wrote:I'm perfectly willing to admit that the Waiting over the last eight days may have melted my brain, but what they're building is starting to look to me like the top of a submarine. Am I just losing it?

I wait.

Only Time will tell.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:The water to the right (we DO know it's water since they swam in it) has risen considerably lately. Just compare frame 217 with frame 322. The water level is much higher now. I think the sandcastles are getting destroyed by the water. Then if the water is the river is another question.

Edit: Could someone do one of those pixelcompare pics and post it here so it can be seen better?

Edit2: Also comparing 163 with 215 would be good. You can also see it there that the water level has changed. Anyone able to figure out how fast the tide is rising?

By now the pixel counters should be in bed and sleeping.

My be this postings meet your requirements:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=8160#p3314577
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=8240#p3314799

esskaybee wrote:I'm perfectly willing to admit that the Waiting over the last eight days may have melted my brain, but what they're building is starting to look to me like the top of a submarine. Am I just losing it?

Duh - you are right...

esskaybee wrote:I wait.

Don't. We. All.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
patzer wrote:Aubron's site is fine for me, up to #316
but I just noticed an off-by-one error
that that is 316 on Aubron's site is that that is 315 on explainxkcd. Anyone know why this happened?

Aubron's has an empty frame at #290. I think maybe he was expecting it to revert to half-hourly, and so a number got added there, but no pic. That's just my best guess why that is, but certainly the absent frame explains the disparity.

I think the fact that this occurred for the first new frame on Monday 4/1 probably has something to do with it - maybe Aubron guessed that the hourly updates were for the weekend days only (??).

But in any case, comparison with the listing on explain xkcd (http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=1190) shows that the aubronwood.com page is not missing frame #290, but it and all subsequent frames are given one higher frame number than they should (according to the explain xkcd listing).

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:Image
It be an river!!!

Absolutely not. Go do your penance.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:

Of course not.

It's a contraction, not a possessive.

EDIT: Why is there a ninja sword sticking out of my gut??
Last edited by belliott4488 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

I wait.

But it's black. Not yellow.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
kryton wrote:
SBN wrote:
kryton wrote:and if explain xkcd is correct that this frame appeared at 4 AM, no one has mentioned that we are now in superlongpix (4 hours?)

Newpix are arriving at the top of each Outside hour.

just checked xkcd[dot]aubronwood[dot]com and i see that now, explain xkcd is off by 3, it is showing 7am's newpix as 4 am's and nothing after.

Are you taking time zones into account? E.g. the river one was 4 AM PDT/MST, 7 AM EDT (Great Lord Randall's Time), 11:00 UTC. I don't know which explainxkcd uses.

Explain's list shows 8AM having the same image we saw just over a newpix ago at 8 AM EDT, 7am,6am,5am have nothing, and the 4 am pic is what we saw at 7 am EDT.
looks like their routine hiccuped this morning?
1298 and counting

fixer

Postby fixer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Shouldn't that be 'Its actually retreated' (no apostrophe)?

Nope. Contractions for "it is" and "it has" receive an apostrophe. Possessives (its banks) do not.
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
patzer wrote:Aubron's site is fine for me, up to #316
but I just noticed an off-by-one error
that that is 316 on Aubron's site is that that is 315 on explainxkcd. Anyone know why this happened?

Aubron's has an empty frame at #290. I think maybe he was expecting it to revert to half-hourly, and so a number got added there, but no pic. That's just my best guess why that is, but certainly the absent frame explains the disparity.

I think the fact that this occurred for the first new frame on Monday 4/1 probably has something to do with it - maybe Aubron guessed that the hourly updates were for the weekend days only (??).

This was a fairly common suggestion in this thread. I think I was one of the first to suggest that it might revert on the First Daily Pic for Monday. But alas, it did not.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

esskaybee

Postby esskaybee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
I wait.

That's okay - they're not living in it, just building it.

I wait

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

kryton wrote:She's asking because she can't see over the big block of sand she built.
And why would she just happen to randomly insert a statement that confirms that the fluid is a water river
(and not coffee/mercury/semen/methane/caffinatedcancerbabyurine)
unless Randall
(not watching directly but getting reports from his angles who watch all) is feeding back a little based on the forum?

Or just a really neat coincidence?

Theory: where they are standing is normally underwater, the river retreated a lot and exposed this wonderful sandbar that they are having fun on. the liquid to the right of the frame is a tide-pool like puddle left when the river retreated, though probably a bit stagnant and full of organic riverbottom sludge?

When a dialogue says something like "We have to go in 3 newpix", I'll accept that Randell is reading through all this. :-)
It's about time.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

It has! Didn't think of that. Thanks.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:The water to the right (we DO know it's water since they swam in it) has risen considerably lately. Just compare frame 217 with frame 322. The water level is much higher now. I think the sandcastles are getting destroyed by the water. Then if the water is the river is another question.

By now the pixel counters should be in bed and sleeping.

My be this postings meet your requirements:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=8160#p3314577
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=8240#p3314799

Thanks, I still would like to see the velocity. Just browsing through the pics it seems it's accelerating in a sinus curve, but I don't have the time to confirm that.
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:It has! Didn't think of that. Thanks.

When you're surrounded by neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, detail-oriented, sleep-deprived Timewaiters bored in between newpix, you'll get a lot of grammar-pouncing...

Like maybe noticing that your sig should be "Where to, Guv?" if "guv" is a proper noun (thus capitalized). But, it's perfectly fine if "guv" is a verb. In the first case, you're asking for information on where to take the Guv, in the second, you're looking for a location to do the guvving...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

I believe the wait between Newpix has only been 30 minutes.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/45e7c1 ... 84311f.png
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

When you're surrounded by neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, detail-oriented, sleep-deprived Timewaiters bored in between newpix, you'll get a lot of grammar-pouncing...

Like maybe noticing that your sig should be "Where to, Guv?" if "guv" is a proper noun (thus capitalized). But, it's perfectly fine if "guv" is a verb. In the first case, you're asking for information on where to take the Guv, in the second, you're looking for a location to do the guvving...

Remember, no guv, no luv.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I believe the wait between Newpix has only been 30 minutes.

I got that one at 13:00 UTC, on the hour as we've been expecting.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:

Ok, I'm just nuts then. Thanks.

Some Ways to Time

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Since noone posted the actual image.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Man, I just got so irrationally excited about the idea of more frequent newpix.....
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

The comma was left out deliberately; capitalising the g was not considered; perhaps it should have been spelt gov, but I wanted to influence the pronunciation; I'm still undecided about the question mark.

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

The comma was left out deliberately; capitalising the g was not considered; perhaps it should have been spelt gov, but I wanted to influence the pronunciation; I'm still undecided about the question mark.

I appreciate the fact that so much thought went into it.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

She left again?
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Megan's gone to explore the river. Come back Megan, I guv you!

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Image

She left again?

And she took the trebuchet!

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

JCPenney wrote:And she took the trebuchet!

Maybe she'll hurl the trebuchet onto the platform, using a bigger trebuchet?
I wait for it, therefore I am.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

I like the ambiguity.

And actually, in most cases, 'guv'' would probably be more of a generic pronoun like 'mister' or 'buddy', so it wouldn't need the capitalization.

But in this Time thread, I do wonder if it should be 'When to guv?" And of course, the guv would answer, "Wait for it."
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Looks like a bunker now. Not sure if a bunker made of sand is a good idea...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

pdg

Postby pdg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
I wait.

Black is the new yellow.

And every other color in XKCD, too, come to think of it.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Things have slowed down but the Timewaiters will not rest until this thread is..

"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

I noticed when Cueball was helping Megan a few oldpix ago, they carried around basket ball sized lumps of the building material.
Sand? they must be really strong?
1298 and counting

David1618

Postby David1618 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:Things have slowed down but the Timewaiters will not rest until this thread is..

I've been waiting so long to post that. You have destroyed all my dreams... :cry:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”