1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pixiemay

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pixiemay » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:Things have slowed down but the Timewaiters will not rest until this thread is..

At least Time hasn't slowed down to DBZ speed :)

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

David1618 wrote:
I've been waiting so long to post that. You have destroyed all my dreams... :cry:

I totally jumped the gun. I ran out of things to post about lol
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

pixiemay wrote:At least Time hasn't slowed down to DBZ speed :)

I think that would convert to one Timeframe per post if expressed in Timewaiter terminology.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Looks like a bunker now. Not sure if a bunker made of sand is a good idea...

Sand is actually a very good choice for a bunker.
It's about time.

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

I'm expecting larger artillery now.
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:Things have slowed down but the Timewaiters will not rest until this thread is..

Well, we're already way past 8000, which was the number mentioned in the original manga.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
mscha wrote:Looks like a bunker now. Not sure if a bunker made of sand is a good idea...

Sand is actually a very good choice for a bunker.

Obviously they are working on their coolness factor. It's hip to be square.

Millah

Postby Millah » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Well, we're already way past 8000, which was the number mentioned in the original manga.

A DBZ snob? I mean I know that 915 proves that you can be a connoisseur of anything. I'm only pointing this out because I think Funimation is trying to sue you for being one.

zenix

Postby zenix » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

I've been lurking since about 10 newpix from the beginning of Time. I just felt like pointing out that despite there being almost 1,200 comic threads, Time is already responsible for more than 5% of all the posts ever. I wonder how far it will go.

Also, my take on the latest dialogue is that there is a/another river off screen to the left, which is where Cueball and Megan have been going at least some of the time they are off screen.
"Dude, don't taunt the god-killing abomination" - OOTS #275

National Student Boardgaming Champion - UK, 2014

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
AionArap wrote:Well, we're already way past 8000, which was the number mentioned in the original manga.

A DBZ snob? I mean I know that 915 proves that you can be a connoisseur of anything. I'm only pointing this out because I think Funimation is trying to sue you for being one.

Actually, I've never read the manga nor seen the anime (I think I'm just too old), yet i still somehow know this :P
Guess I just like pointing out erroneous memes. (Pet peeve: >insert something recursive here<ception)
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

Oh Dear, is someone trying to open the lid on the box we are in? 915
1298 and counting

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Maybe it's the top of a cooling tower for the reactor Megan was building underneath?

Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

drewhannay

Postby drewhannay » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

The Outside has been pulling at me pretty hard lately, so I've decided to open source the Android app. So now if anyone has the desire to add features (such as making the timer account for Longpix or adding more timer options overall) they can do so. You can find it at https://github.com/drewhannay/xkcd-time

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

dalcde wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:Just a side note: Is this the largest comic thread this forum has seen? I went and looked to see how big Click And Drag was, but the comment number for that has already been outdone.

It's kinda interesting to read people watching this unfold. Maybe there is no real end game, and it's a tiny social experiment, in which Randall Munroe watches to see how people react to incredibly minor changes in things, when they believe there is a substantial outcome at the end of those changes?

I would be okay with that.

Sort by "replies" on forum page. Time comes eigth with 678 replies (at this moment). "Pickup Artist"'s got 2030. So good luck :)

EDIT: "Pickup Artist" had a flame war going on as far as I know (I didn't read through all 2030 posts :). Locked now.

Just to point out this post from way pack on newpage 18 when we were all new timewaiters and we were still on the first castle. Little did we know.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

pixiemay

Postby pixiemay » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

I really thought it was going to finish with April Fools Day

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Exodies wrote:It has! Didn't think of that. Thanks.

When you're surrounded by neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, detail-oriented, sleep-deprived Timewaiters bored in between newpix, you'll get a lot of grammar-pouncing...

I made an interesting observation when the Madness ceased earlier. Apparantly, grammar nazis have no problem at all adjusting to things like the Madness. Someone tried to write a comment in "self-inflicted" madnessese (is that a word? well, it is now!), whereupon someone else found it pertinent to point out to him that he didn't apply the filters correctly. That's taking obsession with grammatical correctness to a new level, isn't it?

/Lasse
waiting for it since Time began...
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

pixiemay

Postby pixiemay » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

There's been a lot of new levels aspired to and sunk to around here recently :)

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

pixiemay wrote:There's been a lot of new levels aspired to and sunk to around here recently :)

We even set a record in the number of forum records we bothered care about and look up to confirm.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

lassehp wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

When you're surrounded by neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, detail-oriented, sleep-deprived Timewaiters bored in between newpix, you'll get a lot of grammar-pouncing...

I made an interesting observation when the Madness ceased earlier. Apparantly, grammar nazis have no problem at all adjusting to things like the Madness. Someone tried to write a comment in "self-inflicted" madnessese (is that a word? well, it is now!), whereupon someone else found it pertinent to point out to him that he didn't apply the filters correctly. That's taking obsession with grammatical correctness to a new level, isn't it?

/Lasse

Given enough time, every level is achievable...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
lassehp wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

/Lasse

Except 256 in pacman

eight

Postby eight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

I've been in and out of the thread throughout the week, when did newpix start positing only every hour (in Outside time)?

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

eight wrote:I've been in and out of the thread throughout the week, when did newpix start positing only every hour (in Outside time)?

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/WarpPix

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Most of the year, there is a pond by the stream in the woods. After extended dry spells, there is no stream. During rainy springs and sometime during other extended periods of rain, the pond becomes part of the stream. When the two bodies of water aren't connected at the surface, there respective water levels can vary somewhat from each other.

If we scale up the stream to be a river, the pond to be a body of water large enough for swimming, and add a beach with sand, it could be the setting for this comic.

I wouldn't be surprised if newpix keep getting posted forever, but the frequency of newpix gets exponentially slower.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
eight wrote:I've been in and out of the thread throughout the week, when did newpix start positing only every hour (in Outside time)?

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Longpix

FTFY ;)

BA-DA-BING!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
lassehp wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

/Lasse

Except 256 in pacman

Even that has a patch: http://www.donhodges.com/how_high_can_you_get2.htm

Created simply because someone had enough Time to do it.

And so we wait for it...

eight

Postby eight » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/WarpPix

Thanks. This is very helpful.

And to what Hamjudo just posted: I wonder if we'll see newpix getting posted slower and slower either every 240 pix or every 5 days (in Outsider time... which would only be 120 pix by the current scale).

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

BA-DA-BING!!!

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

The left and right castles are different styles. I'm guessing the middle one will be different too. Which will look too much like a Jabba the Hutt lego set and be asked to be discontinued.

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:The left and right castles are different styles. I'm guessing the middle one will be different too. Which will look too much like a Jabba the Hutt lego set and be asked to be discontinued.

I had to look that up and, well I'll be, Jabba's Leggo palace is accused of looking like a mosque and therefore racist because Jabba is an evil slug?
1298 and counting

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

fixer wrote:[...] (its banks) [...]

As opposed to "it's banks", as in

It's banks that have got us into this economic mess! To the barricades!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
pixiemay wrote:There's been a lot of new levels aspired to and sunk to around here recently :)

We even set a record in the number of forum records we bothered care about and look up to confirm.

Given how you got here, though, you've got absolutely no chance at the SNR record. Maybe on the low end, someday, but there's still several hundred unique posts that are actually about the comic, and it'll take quite a lot more of... whatever the heck this has been... to overwhelm them.
Last edited by Mikeski on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Is anyone else concerned by what Megan is up to with that trebuchet, which she has notably dragged off somewhere?

We all know what happened the last time Cueball was left on his own to build something ...

riverssong
Gallstone of Fury

Postby riverssong » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:Is anyone else concerned by what Megan is up to with that trebuchet, which she has notably dragged off somewhere?

We all know what happened the last time Cueball was left on his own to build something ...

*sigh* CLEARLY they have built that central structure for the express purpose of destroying it.

Go back and review. Cue builds a bridge, Megan one-shots (two-shots?) it, Cue raises his hands to his face in what is either an expression of horror or one of pure delight, then the effort begins to raise a MASSIVE structure in the same exact spot.

They are building toward the joy of utter destruction.

Wait for it.

EDIT: Gallstone of FUUUUURY! I love it! (And laughed loud and hard enough to scare the cat. Ouch.)
Last edited by riverssong on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Moriaty wrote:I hate it when you wake up to find everyone else joined a cult and you missed out :(

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

They've moved the Trebuchet to make room for this. (please let it be true)

Spoiler:
time.gif

Edit: I tried to get it to scale, but feel it may be a little small. I had to guess based on cueball's head diameter.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Should we update the Period list on the Wiki? We've been in a new period for a while now.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

I had that thought too (and have been luring since newpix 2).

(the Saturn V one that is)
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
Exodies wrote:
bob443@mahaska.org wrote:Is there anywhere I can see each individual frame?

I didn't really get the joke on day 1, and didn't look back 'til today. I think I missed a bunch of stuff.

You haven't missed anything. We still don't get the joke after moving our entire virtual and spiritual lives on here.

I kind of assumed that was the joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

BA-DA-BING!!!

esskaybee

Postby esskaybee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Looks like he's looking over his shoulder. Is Megan on her way back with rocket/huge trebuchet/huge JCB digger? Or just a nice ice-cream, perhaps.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”