1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

udscbt
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

I noticed that Randall hasn't published a new "What if?" today, could it be that the questions sent by Pope Helper scared him so much to force him to seek refuge in a bunker?
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:I noticed that Randall hasn't published a new "What if?" today, could it be that the questions sent by Pope Helper scared him so much to force him to seek refuge in a bunker?

they seem to get posted late in the evening last few weeks.
1298 and counting

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:I noticed that Randall hasn't published a new "What if?" today, could it be that the questions sent by Pope Helper scared him so much to force him to seek refuge in a bunker?

Somebody's negative! No, instead, it's delayed because he's too busy answering every question. Yes, yes, that's it...
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:They've moved the Trebuchet to make room for this. (please let it be true)

Spoiler:
time.gif

Edit: I tried to get it to scale, but feel it may be a little small. I had to guess based on cueball's head diameter.

I'll definitely wait for THAT.
It's about time.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

(18 TimeFrames of outsider stuff)
(8 NewPages of catchup)
And I'm back!
StratPlayer wrote:
Exodies wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Exodies wrote:It has! Didn't think of that. Thanks.

When you're surrounded by neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, detail-oriented, sleep-deprived Timewaiters bored in between newpix, you'll get a lot of grammar-pouncing...

Like maybe noticing that your sig should be "Where to, Guv?" if "guv" is a proper noun (thus capitalized). But, it's perfectly fine if "guv" is a verb. In the first case, you're asking for information on where to take the Guv, in the second, you're looking for a location to do the guvving...

The comma was left out deliberately; capitalising the g was not considered; perhaps it should have been spelt gov, but I wanted to influence the pronunciation; I'm still undecided about the question mark.

I like the ambiguity.

And actually, in most cases, 'guv'' would probably be more of a generic pronoun like 'mister' or 'buddy', so it wouldn't need the capitalization.

But in this Time thread, I do wonder if it should be 'When to guv?" And of course, the guv would answer, "Wait for it."

Subtleties in grammar can be rather fun. What a difference the comma makes in "Helping your uncle Jack, off his horse" and "Let's eat, Grandma".
Cf. http://xkcd.com/326/. Also of course, the old favourite, "I'd rather cuddle, then have sex."
Mr Moriaty wrote:Is the Higgs-Pope the particle that gives Mass?

Nice!
Helper wrote:As Pope, I do solemnly appoint yee 'Apostolic Vistitator', Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers.
I'm not sure what that is, but I don't see anything wrong with handing out various jobs!

As I can't be a cardinal due to reviving a long-dead account for this thread instead of creating one, may I be an ordinal instead?
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

speising

Postby speising » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:Also of course, the old favourite, "I'd rather cuddle, then have sex."

how could that be read any other way? "I'd rather cuddle then have sex." is just grammatically wrong, without any other meaning.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Smithers wrote:Also of course, the old favourite, "I'd rather cuddle, then have sex."

how could that be read any other way? "I'd rather cuddle then have sex." is just grammatically wrong, without any other meaning.

Try reading 'than' in place of 'then'.
Edit: Image
Last edited by Smithers on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:As I can't be a cardinal due to reviving a long-dead account for this thread instead of creating one, may I be an ordinal instead?

Sorry, I don't believe in ordinals. You could be a cordial, though.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

To be fair, that a grammatical error, not ambiguity.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

This is also true of the other examples.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

I don't think so (although I could be wrong)... "Let's eat, Grandma" targets grandma and requests to begin eating (non-grandma) food. "Let's eat Grandma" is a request to eat grandma. They're both grammatically valid.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

I don't think so (although I could be wrong)... "Let's eat, Grandma" targets grandma and requests to begin eating (non-grandma) food. "Let's eat Grandma" is a request to eat grandma. They're both grammatically valid.

As are "I'd rather cuddle, then have sex" and "I'd rather cuddle than have sex".

Helper goeth to Starbux:

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

As are "I'd rather cuddle, then have sex" and "I'd rather cuddle than have sex".

But that requires a change to the word 'then/than,' rather than just a comma change.

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

...and look what showed up in the mail today...

speising

Postby speising » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

But that requires a change to the word 'then/than,' rather than just a comma change.

that's actually what i meant. this example works only in speech, where commas are ambiguous at best, anyway.

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

that's actually what i meant. this example works only in speech, where commas are ambiguous at best, anyway.

Ambigous? What do you mean? Don't you speak commas aloud? ...I suppose that explains all of the weird looks...

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:<lots of nesting>
Smithers wrote:Try reading 'than' in place of 'then'.

</lots of nesting>

Helper goeth to Starbux:

speising

Postby speising » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
speising wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

Ambigous? What do you mean? Don't you speak commas aloud? ...I suppose that explains all of the weird looks...

yes, i do. a comma is spoken similar to "..."

edit: oh, i read "do" instead of "don't"

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Helper wrote:
speising wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

That should get you many unpleasant reactions, reading do instead of don't.

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Helper wrote:
speising wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

Well, I don't know what you're talking about, but I actually say the word 'comma' :D

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
speising wrote:
Helper wrote:
speising wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Helper wrote:
Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

Well, I don't know what you're talking about, but I actually say the word 'comma' :D

So you probably also do quotation marks with your fingers? :lol:
OK, at least that's (almost) a standard Pope gesture... :mrgreen:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Helper wrote: ... snipped...

Makes sense to me. After spending the last week in here, I now say "FULL STOP FULL STOP" after ever sentence where's there's a period, especially when ordering my non-inseminated, light-babied coffee...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:So you probably also do quotation marks with your fingers? :lol:

Well obviously! Dot and all! (Don't ask where the dot comes from...)

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Stealth Beige

Postby Stealth Beige » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:
<snip>

So you probably also do quotation marks with your fingers? :lol:

Y'all remind me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Image

Quite a lot of straight horizontal edges there. He will probably be crenellating that for at least half a dozen timeframes.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:

Quite a lot of straight horizontal edges there. He will probably be crenellating that for at least half a dozen timeframes.

I think he's trying to make it minecraft worthy
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
Smithers wrote:

My thoughts exactly, probably getting it ready for the new Minecraft 2.0 release.

EDIT: Added link.
Last edited by AionArap on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

Tass

Postby Tass » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
speising wrote:

The point is there is not two meanings since the one with then is grammatically incorrect.

I disagree though. It may not be entirely grammatically correct, but a sentence with "I'd rather" without a "than" following, would generally be understood as if followed by "than what was just suggested" in everyday language. It misses a comma though.

"Wanna watch a movie?"
"I'd rather cuddle, then have sex."

Whereas "I'd rather cuddle than have sex" is a standalone statement.

Godsguy

Postby Godsguy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
Smithers wrote:

That was actually my first thought as well - Very minecrafty
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats - Ken Grahame (Wind in the Willows)

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Tetris anyone?
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
mybrainhurts wrote:So you probably also do quotation marks with your fingers? :lol:

I know I shouldn't ask, but this has got me stumped. Where does the dot come from?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Helper wrote:

I know I shouldn't ask, but this has got me stumped. Where does the dot come from?

I-I don't know, myself.... Sounds gruesome though.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

chem1190c wrote:Tetris anyone?

I think the tetris block should not have the edge on the right...

EDIT: come to think of it, there is no:
**##
###
block in tetris... or do you see it as a
**#**
### block?

EDIT2: stupid space removal... if I didn't want them, I would not write them...

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
chem1190c wrote:Tetris anyone?

I think the tetris block should not have the edge on the right...

EDIT: come to think of it, there is no:
##
###
block in tetris... or do you see it as a
#
### block?

I see a:

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

hamjudo wrote:If we scale up the stream to be a river, the pond to be a body of water large enough for swimming, and add a beach with sand, it could be the setting for this comic.

Dude, if we scale it all down instead, then the stick figures are the size of ants [which approximates a stick figure figure] and the lakes and rivers could be simple streams and puddles. Small weather changes would greatly influence their world, such as rising water level for no apparent reason. Lastly, this would explain how they can do so much with the sand, from building to standing on it.
IT IS ALL ANT-SIZE!!!REVELATION

tman2nd wrote:
azule wrote:Retreating shore....but the water level has risen, right? *confuzled*

The river is different.

I know it was dif, but more like what water we see is the remnants of the river, basically a marsh now. *still confuzled*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:What a difference the comma makes in "Helping your uncle Jack, off his horse" and "Let's eat, Grandma".

Surely if you were instructing me to assist my uncle Jack in dismounting a horse, "Help your uncle Jack off his horse", with no comma, would be correct. Ambiguous, yes, but it's a correct way to say it.
I was trying to come up with a less ambiguous way to say it, without saying "dismount" I mean, but "Help your uncle get off the horse" sounds pretty bad too now that you've got me thinking that way.
"Help your uncle to stop being on a horse..."
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

12obin wrote:
Smithers wrote:What a difference the comma makes in "Helping your uncle Jack, off his horse" and "Let's eat, Grandma".

Surely if you were instructing me to assist my uncle Jack in dismounting a horse, "Help your uncle Jack off his horse", with no comma, would be correct. Ambiguous, yes, but it's a correct way to say it.
I was trying to come up with a less ambiguous way to say it, without saying "dismount" I mean, but "Help your uncle get off the horse" sounds pretty bad too now that you've got me thinking that way.

"Help your uncle down from the horse"
"Help your uncle from the horse"
"Help your uncle down"
"Help your uncle to the ground"

Helper

Postby Helper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

12obin wrote:

But that still has the problem of your uncle being 'on a horse' :twisted:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:
12obin wrote:

"Help your uncle down from the horse"
"Help your uncle from the horse"
"Help your uncle down"
"Help your uncle to the ground"

"Help your uncle to alight"
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”