1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:06 am UTC

SBN wrote:
KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:All this trouble over trying to combine Wait with -er (suffix for designating people around an object/action). What if we used an alternative suffix? Like, a Time Waiteer. Like a pioneer, but for waiting. Also, it sounds like you are saying 'wait here', which is kinda funny. :idea:
(Waitier just sounds like something is heavier, and Waityer is enh.)

Oh, sure. We're how many periods in and Now you show up with the voice of reason? A week ago we'd have made you at least a Cardinal for that.

... my apologies, the madness was upon me. As was the lack of coma.
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

htom

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Just did an analysis of the average fluid level of the right-most 80 pixel columns since NP 191.
There is some inaccuracy due to the floating point math i used, but it's close enough to visualize what's going on.

http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/img/water-level.png

Edit: the h-scale is exaggerated by a factor of 10.

That's quite impressive, what'd you use to do that?

Thanks -- just used blitz3d, an old directx graphics wrapper. Same thing i used to do this: http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/
Going to bed for now. Wait for it.

Well, either the tide is not rising on a sinusoidal curve, it's not a tide (maybe a flood), or it is a tide and we can use the heights to make a clock.

Or the time within the One True Comic is passing at different rates between NewPices, which might necessitate some form of Theory of Relativity.

We fit the heights to a sine curve, determine the times the newpix were created.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

KuwabatakeSanjuro

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby KuwabatakeSanjuro » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:12 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
KuwabatakeSanjuro wrote:All this trouble over trying to combine Wait with -er (suffix for designating people around an object/action). What if we used an alternative suffix? Like, a Time Waiteer. Like a pioneer, but for waiting. Also, it sounds like you are saying 'wait here', which is kinda funny. :idea:
(Waitier just sounds like something is heavier, and Waityer is enh.)

But, do pioneers really pion??

Well. Once upon a time*, yes...
Pioneer, 1515–25; < Middle French pionier, Old French peonier foot soldier. See peon, -eer
Peon: French pion foot soldier, pedestrian, day laborer. From Medieval Latin pedō man who goes on foot, from Latin pēs foot;

Edited: *And in a different language.
Last edited by KuwabatakeSanjuro on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We have seen the Castles / We reject the Outside / We do not Sleep / We watch Time / We wait for it.

We await you, Blitzgirl! Travel on through the messages of the past. We wait for it and we wait for you to join us.

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:15 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Just did an analysis of the average fluid level of the right-most 80 pixel columns since NP 191.
There is some inaccuracy due to the floating point math i used, but it's close enough to visualize what's going on.

Wow, Kieryn,

finally we get an overwview of this phenomenon. Thanks a lot.

Suggestions:
-- I saw another level rise at frame 247. Is it included in your 244 rise, or was the diffence too small to qualify?
-- Could you press the difference values into the graphic (for those who can do integrals in their head but not substraction)?
-- I assume your baseline is "bottom of frame". Maybe you could state that explicitly.

A graphic says more than 1E3 words.

Thanks.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:15 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Or the time within the One True Comic is passing at different rates between NewPices, which might necessitate some form of Theory of Relativity.

Contrary to the theories of Albert Einstein (and Galileo Galilei) there is precisely one absolute measure of time, the measurement in timeframes. There are two known systems of time measured relative to this time system: the "outsider" system (which measures either 30 (timeframes prior to 2013-03-30T00:00UTC-0400) or 60 'minutes' (to present) to the timeframe and the insider 'newpixian' system, whose conversion is currently unknown.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:22 am UTC

vagina
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:26 am UTC

Helper wrote:vagina

Eloquent as always.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

doomiest

Postby doomiest » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:31 am UTC

[code] f o r ( $ i = 5 0 ; $ i - l e 5 5 ; $ i + + )
{ w g e t - - w a i t = 1 - r - P . - A p n g " h t t p : / / x k c d - t i m e . w i k i a . c o m / w i k i / F i l e : T i m e $ i . p n g " } [ / c o d e ]

doomiest

Postby doomiest » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:31 am UTC

I want to download everything and make a video. Code is on another post because spam filter.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Like a phoenix from the flame, I rise and return!
500full-forhat3-ALL HATS-from-AionArap-red-flames5-smlr.jpg
I rise!
500full-forhat3-ALL HATS-from-AionArap-red-flames5-smlr.jpg (5.17 KiB) Viewed 11009 times

EDIT: And now I coma...
Last edited by buffygirl on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:52 am UTC

Helper wrote:vagina

You don't say.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:00 am UTC

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:18 am UTC

Time to bump this again...

A bump of the important parts of this thread
Please continue Bumping

Latest frame (auto updates):
Spoiler:
Live updating GIF:
Spoiler:
Primis wrote:Image
More complex program (with manual controls and a soundtrack!):
Spoiler:
Explain XKCD (with a little more discussion on the comic, when the servers can take it):
Wiki
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:24 am UTC

Whew. It hath been a productive hundred-or-so newpix for me. I fell behind in this needle-pulled thing over the weekend, and ended up roughly 100 pages behind before I started reading again. I have read it all. Also updated the wiki quotes page with a bunch of quotes, and actually linked the quotes to their original posts (forsrs, whoever had a bunch of quotes with no links, not cool. Or am I just that ocd?)

Time to go and coma. See you guys in several newpix!

EDIT: one quick reference to make:

udscbt wrote:Oh, oh, ic just reckon-did about an new end of comic (well, not really) theory.
Just before the FDP of STAR DATE 2245 we woll see an frame maximizing the suspense, then, as midnight cometh, we woll see Error 500 when we woll try to look at this comic. For increased psychological pain, we woll be able to see an frame æfre now and then showing that something fabulous be happening in the frames we tinnot see.

That's already been done, sorry.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:25 am UTC

boozledorf wrote:Image

Hey, this is starting to look like a scaled-up version of the castle on the right.

Maybe it will be a fractal castle, with each iteration taking t(n - 1) ^2 to create.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:37 am UTC

I think he's building it higher.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:45 am UTC

Sorry for the delay, I was comatose:

A woman goes into a bar and asks for a double entendre.

So the barman gives her one.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

htom

Postby htom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Not so much a sarcophagus now. I'm off to coma land for at least a half-dozen longpix or so.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Image

I blinked and I missed it. :( Not much change this time; I was starting to wonder if the rate of Outside time had doubled again.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 am UTC

My latest ==CRAZY== idea:

They are actually on a hovercraft!
They drive(?) along the beach, so they have unlimited access to water and sand.
They are heading to the river.
When they disappear, it's just because one of them is steering.
Waterlevel: I am guessing that as they accumulate more sand on the hovercraft, it gets heavier, so it slowly descends, which makes the water/sand level seem higher.

Actually, the last point could be easily tested by comparing the sea level with the number of black pixels (on the non-water area, if you wish to be extra picky) using the same key frames.

Is anyone extra-bored?

(Also, I assume some kind of force field that prevents the sand from falling off due to engine vibrations)
It's about time.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Crazy ideas? Hmm...

What if they're actually on Mars, pre-dessication? The river would be one of the now-dry canals that we've seen on the surface, and the sand could actually be red. The comic would culminate in an acceleration of comic-time to the present day, when the Curiosity strolls by and zaps the sand castle with a laser.

I think the coma-induced hallucinations have started early. Better go lay down.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:05 am UTC

something_meta

Postby something_meta » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:08 am UTC

Eliram wrote:My latest ==CRAZY== idea:

They are actually on a hovercraft!
They drive(?) along the beach, so they have unlimited access to water and sand.
They are heading to the river.
When they disappear, it's just because one of them is steering.
Waterlevel: I am guessing that as they accumulate more sand on the hovercraft, it gets heavier, so it slowly descends, which makes the water/sand level seem higher.

Actually, the last point could be easily tested by comparing the sea level with the number of black pixels (on the non-water area, if you wish to be extra picky) using the same key frames.

Is anyone extra-bored?

(Also, I assume some kind of force field that prevents the sand from falling off due to engine vibrations)

If this were the case, I would expect there to be eels at some point.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 am UTC

I wonder how high the tower will go.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 am UTC

Love it! Homf Hompf Mmnff Mmh!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

beargarden
Cardinal

Postby beargarden » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:37 am UTC

So now the site is down? Unlikely to be server load, since all of the US is asleep right now...

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:37 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Whew. It hath been a productive hundred-or-so newpix for me. I fell behind in this needle-pulled thing over the weekend, and ended up roughly 100 pages behind before I started reading again. I have read it all. Also updated the wiki quotes page with a bunch of quotes, and actually linked the quotes to their original posts (forsrs, whoever had a bunch of quotes with no links, not cool. Or am I just that ocd?)

At first, I thought a wiki for a single xkcd comic a bit... well. Oversized, overambitious.

As Time advances, we are humbled.

May I suggest adding this to the quotes page:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3304332#p3304332
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 am UTC

Ever since I started watching Time I've noticed references to time everywhere.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Helper wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
Helper wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:do we have a need for some kind of Holy Geophysicist? it seems to be a niche that fake Vatican based pope bloke has missed.
I'm sure there are some rocks that would actually be pretty good at "waiting for it".

But of course. As me, I hearby do solemnly swear, yee art now the Holy Geophysicist.

Now, down to business; I need you to watch the decay of some holy uranium-238.

Ahh now thats the sort of job I can get my teeth into (although they may fall out) for the next 4.5 Billion years. I'll be back in ~39,446,200,000,000newpix.

Great! Be sure to brush your teeth and use mouthwash. With flouride. 31. :twisted:
See you soon!

Good morning all.

I can report nothing has happened to the holy uranium-238. but my hair feels funny and it tastes like burning.

I see Cueball is building alone again. As he seems to lose all motivation when Megan isn't around we will probably be watching him build a giant phallus for some time yet.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 am UTC

beargarden wrote:So now the site is down? Unlikely to be server load, since all of the US is asleep right now...

Probably a DDoS attack by some Wikipedia editors.

ANFSCD: Had a thought about how ready-made the One True Comic is. Now that we know that Randall probably took up The One True Comic as a test for Externalities I believe that the story is not fully drawn already. I rather think he's having a creative experiment here, drawing batches of newpics whenever he feels in the mood or has an idea / an inspiration. Perhaps the river turn was such a flash of inspiration.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:38 am UTC

What happened to the gif from page 4? It doesn't work for me now. Has anyone got another way to see the whole thing so far?
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)
----
adnapemit wrote:I think flicky is the no pants kind.
Carlington wrote:flicky has done it
portmanteau of poo and post
the truest "shit"-post

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:44 am UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:
beargarden wrote:So now the site is down? Unlikely to be server load, since all of the US is asleep right now...

Probably a DDoS attack by some Wikipedia editors.

ANFSCD: Had a thought about how ready-made the One True Comic is. Now that we know that Randall probably took up The One True Comic as a test for Externalities I believe that the story is not fully drawn already. I rather think he's having a creative experiment here, drawing batches of newpics whenever he feels in the mood or has an idea / an inspiration. Perhaps the river turn was such a flash of inspiration.

I wonder if he reads this thread and takes into account our ideas.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:I wonder if he reads this thread and takes into account our ideas.

This thought comes up regulary and is commonly answered with a "no" by someone feeling sure knowing the Truth (tm).

If I'm allowed to file an own request for our Chief Pixel Counters:
I'd like to see the graph of sum(changed pixels) for each newpix(n) --> newpix(n+1).

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 am UTC

Illud expecto, ergo sum.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 am UTC

Wow, that's very helpful! Thanks a lot!
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:10 am UTC

I'd say the [yellow|black] submarine theory is off the stove. :)

Now it looks like Cueball is engineering another Late Middle Age Castle Tower....
...It would be a sand castle tower ready for an "ACTUTAL SIZE!" sticker.

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:If I'm allowed to file an own request for our Chief Pixel Counters:
I'd like to see the graph of sum(changed pixels) for each newpix(n) --> newpix(n+1).

That would indeed be a great graph. Although it would be a bit distorted during the panning I think.

higgs-boson wrote:I'd say the [yellow|black] submarine theory is off the stove. Now it looks like Cueball is engineering another Late Middle Age Castle Tower.......It would be a sand castle tower ready for an "ACTUTAL SIZE!" sticker.

That raises the question: How big would a pixel be in real life?
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”