1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

9hili9

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby 9hili9 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 am UTC

something_meta wrote:
Eliram wrote:My latest ==CRAZY== idea:

They are actually on a hovercraft!
They drive(?) along the beach, so they have unlimited access to water and sand.
They are heading to the river.
When they disappear, it's just because one of them is steering.
Waterlevel: I am guessing that as they accumulate more sand on the hovercraft, it gets heavier, so it slowly descends, which makes the water/sand level seem higher.

Actually, the last point could be easily tested by comparing the sea level with the number of black pixels (on the non-water area, if you wish to be extra picky) using the same key frames.

Is anyone extra-bored?

(Also, I assume some kind of force field that prevents the sand from falling off due to engine vibrations)

If this were the case, I would expect there to be eels at some point.

That would be good, but the sand would need to be removed in order to fill the hovercraft.

To save Time, we could skip that and proceed directly to the delightfully exploding nipples.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:41 am UTC

Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Quest progress: 77 out of 223 pages.
The Populated Period of Expansion. NP 156.

I send forth this message now in the fervent hope that I shall encounter it again on my journey, tangled in the thread of Time.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Quest progress: 77 out of 223 pages.
The Populated Period of Expansion. NP 156.

I send forth this message now in the fervent hope that I shall encounter it again on my journey, tangled in the thread of Time.

All congratulations to BlitzGirl, for reading another 146 pages and reaching this point. Success on the remaining pages.
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:56 am UTC

[edit] Whoops, apparently I hit "quote" instead of "edit" and quoted my huge list of all the picture URLs here.
Last edited by phlip on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:What happened to the gif from page 4? It doesn't work for me now. Has anyone got another way to see the whole thing so far?

Seriously?

But http://xkcd.aubronwood.com or http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/ are your best bets.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:17 am UTC

Since no one was adding it.

Is he building this?

Spoiler:
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:17 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:What happened to the gif from page 4? It doesn't work for me now. Has anyone got another way to see the whole thing so far?

Seriously?

But http://xkcd.aubronwood.com or http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/ are your best bets.

http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/ could use an update of the periods though. The second Megan period has already ended.

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:38 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I wonder if he reads this thread and takes into account our ideas.

This thought comes up regulary and is commonly answered with a "no" by someone feeling sure knowing the Truth (tm).

If I'm allowed to file an own request for our Chief Pixel Counters:
I'd like to see the graph of sum(changed pixels) for each newpix(n) --> newpix(n+1).

He doesn't have time since he's churning out these sticky sand/coffee/dandruf/darkmatter/caffinatedsemencancerbaby pixles as fast as he can.
BUT, very likely he has a team of seraphim watching the thread for him, in case this is the first place a glitch is identified, such as the first pan/zoom the unveiled a pic a few hours early, and one of them posted to the thread his appology that the server couldn't quite figure out what timezone it was in.

Stereo wrote:Postby Stereo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 pm UTC
Hi guys, Randall says "oops, sorry about the brief wrong-frame update; there was a disagreement between servers about time zones. it's being sorted out and the normal timeline should resume momentarily."
Last edited by kryton on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
1298 and counting

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 am UTC

I might be right in that he's building this:

Spoiler:

Edit: Almost 9000 posts now :D
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:15 am UTC

I reckon Megan's building a similar one out of frame.

Cue trebuchét battle!
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

esskaybee

Postby esskaybee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:I'd say the [yellow|black] submarine theory is off the stove. :)

Now it looks like Cueball is engineering another Late Middle Age Castle Tower....
...It would be a sand castle tower ready for an "ACTUTAL SIZE!" sticker.

Yes, having managed to catch up with this thread after coma and work interfered, I think not a submarine, of any colour.
I like your idea of an "Actual Size" sticker though :)

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I wonder if he reads this thread and takes into account our ideas.

This thought comes up regulary and is commonly answered with a "no" by someone feeling sure knowing the Truth (tm).

I'd like to see the graph of sum(changed pixels) for each newpix(n) --> newpix(n+1).

I'll try to come up with something today during breaks at the office.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

kryton and others... wrote:
"I wonder if he reads this thread and takes into account our ideas."

<snip>

"He doesn't have time since he's churning out these sticky sand/coffee/dandruf/darkmatter/caffinatedsemencancerbaby pixles as fast as he can.
BUT, very likely he has a team of seraphim watching the thread for him"

You know, it occured to me during my last coma: it might not be neccessary to attribute this all to a creator. I mean, maybe this is just a natural phenomenon instead of the work of intelligent design.

Perhaps there are some basic universal laws of pixilization that could be discovered that would fully define Time without having to bring in superstition and belief in some arbitrary 'artist' who supposedly is directing everything that happens...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

<snip>

"He doesn't have time since he's churning out these sticky sand/coffee/dandruf/darkmatter/caffinatedsemencancerbaby pixles as fast as he can.

You know, it occured to me during my last coma: it might not be neccessary to attribute this all to a creator. I mean, maybe this is just a natural phenomenon instead of the work of intelligent design.

Perhaps there are some basic universal laws of pixilization that could be discovered that would fully define Time without having to bring in superstition and belief in some arbitrary 'artist' who supposedly is directing everything that happens...

Oh no, another heretic...

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Jonas79 wrote:Image

I might be right in that he's building this:

Spoiler:

Edit: Almost 9000 posts now :D

He's just copying your design! :P

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

He doesn't have time since he's churning out these sticky sand/coffee/dandruf/darkmatter/caffinatedsemencancerbaby pixles as fast as he can.
BUT, very likely he has a team of seraphim watching the thread for him, in case this is the first place a glitch is identified, such as the first pan/zoom the unveiled a pic a few hours early, and one of them posted to the thread his appology that the server couldn't quite figure out what timezone it was in.

Stereo wrote:Postby Stereo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 pm UTC
Hi guys, Randall says "oops, sorry about the brief wrong-frame update; there was a disagreement between servers about time zones. it's being sorted out and the normal timeline should resume momentarily."

I'm still hoping Randall takes the hint and makes a book from this comic - flip book perhaps?
I'd love to see some of his musings under each about his thoughts on putting this whole thing together, snafu's he had to deal with, or his take on what the fourm was doing in response at that point in the reveal.
1298 and counting

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

<snip>

So pixels could be self arranging the way that last clump of 9 cheerios in the milk slways make a comma shape?
1298 and counting

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
I'm still hoping Randall takes the hint...

But I'm telling you -- there might not BE any 'Randall'. It's natural for us humans to want to attribute everything to some 'daddy in the sky' who does all the drawing. but it might just as well be normal Universal Laws of Pixilization that are simply playing out in front of us.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

<snip>

So pixels could be self arranging the way that last clump of 9 cheerios in the milk slways make a comma shape?

Yes! Just because our human brains want to see a pattern, doesn't mean that some mystical forces is at work...

It could just be tidal forces in the milk. Simple, normal, natural phenomenon without any intelligent design.

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

It is nearing 9000, we are now doomed.

Ïa Ran'dall! Ïa Cthulhu!

Wraithlord, the Anti-Pope
All hail divine Lord Randall
Author of the One True Comic
Illustrator of Sandcastles
Keeper of the Newpix
Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not rest
We Wait For It
ChronosDragon wrote:The One True Comic is absolute, it is usually reality that is inaccurate.

Srt252

Postby Srt252 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Hopefully we reach at least 500 frames so we can be true Time Connoisseurs.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

<snip>

Shun the non-believer!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Okay, I give up. I skiped from page 194 to current, after 96 Newpix of trying to catch up after a 136 Newpix break. You people are far too talkative.

Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:It's natural for us humans to want to attribute everything to some 'daddy in the sky' who does all the drawing.

Daddy, or Lucy... ?? :mrgreen:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It's natural for us humans to want to attribute everything to some 'daddy in the sky' who does all the drawing.

Lucy may very well have been involved at one or more points in the continued development of this thread.
It would explain a lot.
Last edited by AionArap on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:

OK, maybe Lucy. But only if she's a ghost rider* (with diamonds, of course)...

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%28Ghost%29_Riders_in_the_Sky:_A_Cowboy_Legend

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

<snip>

I went back into the previous posts to try and find the script someone rote that built "sand"castles automaticly. but then i got sidetracked reading previous posts again :)
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Okay, I give up. I skiped from page 194 to current, after 96 Newpix of trying to catch up after a 136 Newpix break. You people are far too talkative.

Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

He could even have set it up to grab keywords from the fora as inspiration, just to completely mess with us. But the madness might have proven that wrong, since we didn't see "Where the river be now?"
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

<snip>

I went back into the previous posts to try and find the script someone rote that built "sand"castles automaticly. but then i got sidetracked reading previous posts again :)

Here you go:
http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

You Know what we havent had for a while?

WIKIBUMP
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

<snip>

Here you go:
http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/

*ahem*

this has already been suggested, and made here: http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/ but dialogue made this unlikely

Lord Cathbad wrote:

FyKnight

Postby FyKnight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

So my latest crazy theory: I reckon Megan will return with a giant flamethrower.

Rationale?

They are on the edge of a river/lake and building in the stuff from the shore. That is probably muddy clay-ey material. Now that they have a life-sized rampart / castle / tower / rocket, they will want to make it permanent and liquid-proof — by firing the clay!

I did warn you about the crazy :D

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.
“have i gone mad?

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

My latest crazy theory is
shit i can't think of anything crazy enough...

Lord Cathbad wrote:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Hmmmm....

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Lord Cathbad wrote:

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Hmmmm....

Before the beginning of Time there existed some strange thing also called the Past. It's probably like some negative Time.

EDIT: Maybe negative Time could be measured in Prepix?
Last edited by Foarm on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

When it comes to faith, I have a simple crede: trust, but verify. You must test faith, or it is no faith at all. if you are rational, and your faith does not conform to the presented facts, then you must adjust your faith. this is why the snow heresy died out, as the facts presented in Time have disproved them.
“have i gone mad?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”