1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Not to us directly, but back at the dawn of Time, a mere 61 newpages and 144 newpix after the Creation of the One True Comic, we did receive a divine communication via his Chosen One.

Come to think of it, doesn't that make stereo the pope? Is this why helper was questioning his/her authority? Did helper already have designs on the top job? I think we should be told.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

ronaldkr wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Just did an analysis of the average fluid level of the right-most 80 pixel columns since NP 191.
There is some inaccuracy due to the floating point math i used, but it's close enough to visualize what's going on.

(Spoiler: level up to newpix 647 is displayed)
Spoiler:
Image

Edit: the h-scale is exaggerated by a factor of 10.


Wow, Kieryn,

finally we get an overwview of this phenomenon. Thanks a lot.

Suggestions:
-- I saw another level rise at frame 247. Is it included in your 244 rise, or was the diffence too small to qualify?
-- Could you press the difference values into the graphic (for those who can do integrals in their head but not substraction)?
-- I assume your baseline is "bottom of frame". Maybe you could state that explicitly.

A graphic says more than 1E3 words.

Thanks.


-- The 247 rise I think is visible there, but it was small. I only tags frames with more than a >0.2 avg rise.
-- I will be able to do that tonight maybe, but seriously... google search is also a calculator.
-- Yes, the baseline is the bottom of the frame. Kind of.

The calculation I used was: Sum of the blue color values (0-255) in the right most 80 pixels of the image subtracted from maximum possible (=255 * 80 * 395) then divided by (255 * 80).
This gave levels of around 94-98-ish, which did not match with what I saw in the images, presumably because not every pixel is perfectly black or white.
Therefore I normalized the results to bring them closer to the actual ranges i saw, so it's not totally accurate but I think it's close enough.
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Dracomax wrote:And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Not to us directly, but back at the dawn of Time, a mere 61 newpages and 144 newpix after the Creation of the One True Comic, we did receive a divine communication via his Chosen One.

Come to think of it, doesn't that make stereo the pope? Is this why helper was questioning his/her authority? Did helper already have designs on the top job? I think we should be told.

It makes him the prophet. possibly a modern day Abraham. was he promised lots of offspring? that's how you know.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

norcimo
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby norcimo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.


So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.



Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Before the beginning of Time there existed some strange thing also called the Past. It's probably like some negative Time.

No no, The Past came after Time
Knight Temporal in search of a name. In Time we shall rise. Until then, I wait.

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Just because you can string the words together, doesn't mean they make any sense. Oh, wait.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2153
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Before the beginning of Time there existed some strange thing also called the Past. It's probably like some negative Time.


You are wrong. The Past did not exist until the 49th Newpix. That is easily seen by clicking "Next" on The One True Comic.
Immediately before Time began, there existed "Voyager 1."
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
<snip>

Maybe negative Time could be measured in Prepix?


NegaPix?

Or... Maybe this "Past" is like a new dimension, and we call it NewDPix?

As in "Wanna see some NewDPix of your wife?"
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

velkito
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby velkito » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

This..This is still going??

At this point I think it would be safe to say Randall has either had quite a few images stored, or has automated it at some point or other. More likely the first, since I'd imagine automating a sandcastle-building process while still making it look realistic would take quite a bit more effort..

So what # newpix are we at? Ah, 347..not much more to go till 500, I-am-looking-at-you-connoisseur.

Srt252
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:16 pm UTC
Location: Houston

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Srt252 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Prominent Big BONG researchers have theorized that most of the known universe of comprised of Dark Time and Dark Sand[citation needed]

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:When it comes to faith, I have a simple crede: trust, but verify. You must test faith, or it is no faith at all. if you are rational, and your faith does not conform to the presented facts, then you must adjust your faith. this is why the snow heresy died out, as the facts presented in Time have disproved them.


bigcrag92 wrote:so we have a sea/lake made of [water / coffee / oobleck / bacon / semen/ redbull / methane / semenated coffee] and a land made of [sand / snow / rock / ground coffee / semen / caffinated semen]? am I up to speed or have I missed some...
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Just because you can string the words together, doesn't mean they make any sense. Oh, wait For It.



FTFY
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.



No one will expect an inquisition
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Foarm wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Before the beginning of Time there existed some strange thing also called the Past. It's probably like some negative Time.

You are wrong. The Past did not exist until the 49th Newpix. That is easily seen by clicking "Next" on The One True Comic.
Immediately before Time began, there existed "Voyager 1."

97th NewPix. Outside time was passing more slowly back then, and Outside had brightened & dimmed twice in between.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

New theory: What if this whole thing is a kind of puzzle that Randall has put forth for us to solve? Kind of like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_(book) I doubt there would any kind of prize other than the prestige of solving the puzzle, but this whole thing is starting to feel like there's something hidden in there.

Now, thinking how much Randall loves self reference, as in http://xkcd.com/688/ I'm wondering if there's something in the sequence/frames that is referring either to itself or something external, or connected, maybe even to this very forum?

My time is limited, but I will try to do some things that can re-interpret and re-visualize of the sequence in the hope that something interesting will come to light... I would love it if others joined in using whatever skills or knowledge they may have.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.


So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?


Clearly, that would be the Big DONG.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
Foarm
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.

Bring out the torture devices!
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2153
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
SBN wrote:
Foarm wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Before the beginning of Time there existed some strange thing also called the Past. It's probably like some negative Time.

You are wrong. The Past did not exist until the 49th Newpix. That is easily seen by clicking "Next" on The One True Comic.
Immediately before Time began, there existed "Voyager 1."

97th NewPix. Outside time was passing more slowly back then, and Outside had brightened & dimmed twice in between.


Quite right. Thank you. I've had too little coma since Time began, and it is taking a toll.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.

Bring out the torture devices!


The comfy chair???
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.

Bring out the torture devices!

Shall we start with the soft pillows, or go right to the comfy chair?

Added: We do need a Cardinal Biggles, don't we?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.

Bring out the torture devices!

Shall we start with the soft pillows, or go right to the comfy chair?

Added: We do need a Cardinal Biggles, don't we?


Cardinal Biggles and Cardinal Fang, bring forth the comfy chair and the soft pillows
1298 and counting

User avatar
higgs-boson
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm UTC
Location: Europe (UTC + 4 newpix)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?


The Creator was Created by an Uber-Creator and with the interesting assistance of a Creatress*.

What we know about Uber-Creator and Creatress may be next to nothing.
However, we may assume some limits to their age.

min(age(uber_creator),age(creatress)) >= max(age(uber_creator),age(creatress))/2 +7y**



*It wasn't me naming it "Big BONG Theory".
**1y =~ 17500 newpix. Which is funny, since we are refering to a epoch*** before the beginning of Time.
***Is does not feel right to name something before the beginning of Time "Epoch", since there is a significant lack of Time.****
****Time will tell. We wait for it.
Last edited by higgs-boson on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

User avatar
mybrainhurts
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:09 am UTC
Location: Baltic Sea, Germany

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mybrainhurts » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Hrhrhr this inquisition thing brings us back to virgins.
Iron ones.
But are they female?

User avatar
Foarm
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.

Bring out the torture devices!

Shall we start with the soft pillows, or go right to the comfy chair?

Added: We do need a Cardinal Biggles, don't we?


Cardinal Biggles and Cardinal Fang, bring forth the comfy chair and the soft pillows

Cost me a bit of youtubing to get the idea of the soft pillows and the comfy chair.
I guess I missed something in my education...
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:Hrhrhr this inquisition thing brings us back to virgins.
Iron ones.
But are they female?

Well, they are filled with many phallic looking spikes.
perhaps they are not exactly maidens....
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
kryton wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.

Bring out the torture devices!

Shall we start with the soft pillows, or go right to the comfy chair?

Added: We do need a Cardinal Biggles, don't we?


Cardinal Biggles and Cardinal Fang, bring forth the comfy chair and the soft pillows

Cost me a bit of youtubing to get the idea of the soft pillows and the comfy chair.
I guess I missed something in my education...


Sheesh! Just what kind of crappe are they teaching you in school these days? Monty Python is an ESSENTIAL part of every education!!!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Foarm
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:19 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Foarm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:<snip>


*It wasn't me naming it "Big BONG Theory".
**1y =~ 17500 newpix. Which is funny, since we are refering to a epoch*** before the beginning of Time.
***Is does not feel right to name something before the beginning of Time "Epoch", since there is a significant lack of Time.****
****Time will tell. We wait for it.

I like it when footnotes need more footnotes to explain themselves. It makes me think of Terry Pratchett.
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Foarm wrote:
kryton wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.

Bring out the torture devices!

Shall we start with the soft pillows, or go right to the comfy chair?

Added: We do need a Cardinal Biggles, don't we?


Cardinal Biggles and Cardinal Fang, bring forth the comfy chair and the soft pillows

Cost me a bit of youtubing to get the idea of the soft pillows and the comfy chair.
I guess I missed something in my education...


Sheesh! Just what kind of crappe are they teaching you in school these days? Monty Python is an ESSENTIAL part of every education!!!


Our chief weapon is fear, fear and surprise.
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Image
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:<snip>


*It wasn't me naming it "Big BONG Theory".
**1y =~ 17500 newpix. Which is funny, since we are refering to a epoch*** before the beginning of Time.
***Is does not feel right to name something before the beginning of Time "Epoch", since there is a significant lack of Time.****
****Time will tell. We wait for it.

I like it when footnotes need more footnotes to explain themselves. It makes me think of Terry Pratchett.

When that happens, I start to expect them to start arguing.*

*because that's exactly what footnotes are for**
**Speak for yourself. This footnote is argumentative***
***This isn't an argument****
****Yes it isT
T No it isn't. It's just contradiction.TT
TTand so on.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Image

Why do you keep interrupting this discussion with your cheesy cartoons?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
AionArap wrote:Image

Why do you keep interrupting this discussion with your cheesy cartoons?


But but but... I love cheese.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
PinkShinyRose
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm UTC
Location: the Netherlands

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
AionArap wrote:Image

Why do you keep interrupting this discussion with your cheesy cartoons?

Lord Supreme Inquisitor: it's the ultimate heresy...

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
AionArap wrote:Image

Why do you keep interrupting this discussion with your cheesy cartoons?

Lord Supreme Inquisitor: it's the ultimate heresy...

Throw him in the comfy chair!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

rmsgrey
Posts: 3056
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Foarm wrote:
kryton wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Foarm wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Also, it has been shown that it is possible for a creator to have set up initial conditions and a script an algorithm that continues the drawing with the expectation of bringing us to this point. I call this the intelligent design theory. It makes far more sense than the "random pixel evol.ution theory) and doesn't require the active attention of the Randall, who is free then to create other, lesser comics.

So you're saying that this 'creator' was there at the beginning of time, but is no longer needed? Kind of like everything was created in that moment of the initial 'Big GONG' or 'Big BONG'?

And there's no way to tell, because if this creator did, in fact exist, he isn't talking to us.

Hmmmm....

Well, I kind of like your Big BONG theory.

But it does beg the questions: Who or what created the creator and what existed before the beginning of Time?

Everyone knows you can't prove the creator exists, you have to take it as a matter of FAITH

Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Are you suggesting we form some type of inquisition? because if you are, I want to be grand high inquisitor.

Bring out the torture devices!

Shall we start with the soft pillows, or go right to the comfy chair?

Added: We do need a Cardinal Biggles, don't we?


Cardinal Biggles and Cardinal Fang, bring forth the comfy chair and the soft pillows

Cost me a bit of youtubing to get the idea of the soft pillows and the comfy chair.
I guess I missed something in my education...


Sheesh! Just what kind of crappe are they teaching you in school these days? Monty Python is an ESSENTIAL part of every education!!!


Our chief weapon is fear, fear and surprise.

Nobody Everybody expects the Monty Python reference!

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
Exodies wrote:
AionArap wrote:Image

Why do you keep interrupting this discussion with your cheesy cartoons?


But but but... I love cheese.


Who could love cheese when the alternative is giant gambas roasted in butter, garlic and pastis?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
AionArap wrote:Image

Why do you keep interrupting this discussion with your cheesy cartoons?

Cheesy cartoons? We're talking about the One True Comic here.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
higgs-boson
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm UTC
Location: Europe (UTC + 4 newpix)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Foarm wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:<snip>
*It wasn't me naming it "Big BONG Theory".
**1y =~ 17500 newpix. Which is funny, since we are refering to a epoch*** before the beginning of Time.
***Is does not feel right to name something before the beginning of Time "Epoch", since there is a significant lack of Time.****
****Time will tell. We wait for it.

I like it when footnotes need more footnotes to explain themselves. It makes me think of Terry Pratchett.

When that happens, I start to expect them to start arguing.*

*because that's exactly what footnotes are for**
**Speak for yourself. This footnote is argumentative***
***This isn't an argument****
****Yes it isT
T No it isn't. It's just contradiction.TT
TTand so on.

Is there any Eysenck* approved minimum IQ one living must have not to be caught in looped (or recursive) footnotes?

*Hans Jürgen Eysenck - German/British psychologist**, 1916 - 1997.
**Psychologists are people who claim to be able to understand mental processes of other people. Famous examples are Freud, or Eysenck*.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Image


*Gulp*

Clearly my misguided, heretical, falsely-enlightened thoughts have angered the Randall. The One True Comic is threatening me with the sign of the beast.

Image

I rescind my evil ways and re-devote myself to the One True Comic.

I Wait For It!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Canard and 57 guests