1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
kryton wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:I'm on it. The last bolder trap may have failed to kill that Professor Jones guy but I have refined it with big spikes, Holy uranium and even more dramatic music.

But doesn't Plutonium catching fire in warm open air? That aught to be a much more impressive boulder trap.

Nah, Sodium (Na) does that.

A Francium Boulder with a pit of water at the end... now thats an idea.

Fracium would unfortunately not last long enough in bulk and plutonium would be a challenge obtaining.

I thought we produce so much in waste we have trouble getting rid of it!

Dear US Dept. of Energy. Do I have an idea for you!

"US,
pls send plootunium.
Thnx."
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
AionArap wrote:It also explodes in water. (Disclaimer: I have no firsthand experience with this, none whatsoever. I wouldn't lie about something like this... *Looks around with shifty eyes*)

I, too, dement every firsthand experience with Sodium. I've never seen it dance on a water surface, never seen the oxyhydrogen explosion tear the molten sodium ball into flying pieces.

*does not blink even once*

(actually it's a popular experiment in chemistry lessons in western Europe. I guess most people here have seen "Na dancing" at least once).

Never, I've also never dropped a piece into a bottle of coke. You can't prove I did, because there was nothing left of the bottle.

Gotta Love MythBusters

They did that too?

I just had to look that one up. Seems I beat them to this experiment by more than 2 decades, and it was definitely more than a gram.
Also, as previously mentioned, the liquid in question was coke instead of water and the bottle was placed in snow, both of which may or may not have contributed to the effect. Could not find any remnants of the bottle afterwards though (kinda hard to tell with all the snow of course, and the increasing number of curious eyes turning in my direction outside the school entrance). Then again, a coke bottle probably has way less structural integrity than a concrete wall.

EDIT: Wait... What I meant to say was: IT WASN'T ME!!!
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
AionArap wrote:It also explodes in water. (Disclaimer: I have no firsthand experience with this, none whatsoever. I wouldn't lie about something like this... *Looks around with shifty eyes*)

I, too, dement every firsthand experience with Sodium. I've never seen it dance on a water surface, never seen the oxyhydrogen explosion tear the molten sodium ball into flying pieces.

(actually it's a popular experiment in chemistry lessons in western Europe. I guess most people here have seen "Na dancing" at least once).

Never, I've also never dropped a piece into a bottle of coke. You can't prove I did, because there was nothing left of the bottle.

Gotta Love MythBusters

They did that too?

I just had to look that one up. Seems I beat them to this experiment by more than 2 decades, and it was definitely more than a gram.
Also, as previously mentioned, the liquid in question was coke instead of water and the bottle was placed in snow, both of which may or may not have contributed to the effect. Could not find any remnants of the bottle afterwards though (kinda hard to tell with all the snow of course, and the increasing number of curious eyes turning in my direction outside the school entrance). Then again, a coke bottle probably has way less structural integrity than a concrete wall.

EDIT Wait... What I meant to say was: IT WASN'T ME!!!

Plastic or Glass Coke Bottle?
1298 and counting

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

kryton wrote:Fighting an irresistable urge to connesour...ergh...graagh...

I find the emotional upliftmentation of frame 35 to be the most penultimate, the point at which the first completion and fulfillment of expectations are rendered in such clear detail, the body language and facial expressions so perfect in rapture of achievement, far superior to frame 34 where although the completion of the structure is accomplished, per say, but the body language, the postures lack the framing of satisfaction which is so evermoer present in the 35.
coupled with its rich floral and tobacco undertones, a brief peppery finish, it can only be superceeded by the ultimate conclusive and final end of time frame.

I find that the subtle dark chocolate and cherry notes, as well as the nuances of toast present in frame 37, paired with the striking visual symmetry provide a much more emotionally satisfying impression of repose after a job well done, whereas in the 35 I feel that the downcast pitch of her head evokes a certain sadness; perhaps coming as a result of the completion of her project.
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Gotta Love MythBusters

They did that too?

2 decades ago? What do you think?

EDIT: Over 2 and a half decades by now actually.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

kryton wrote:Here It comes! Newpix!

Anybody want to post it?

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

wurlitzer153 wrote:
kryton wrote:Here It comes! Newpix!

Anybody want to post it?

Wait for it.

BA-DA-BING!!!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

JCPenney wrote:

I find the emotional upliftmentation of frame 35 to be the most penultimate, the point at which the first completion and fulfillment of expectations are rendered in such clear detail, the body language and facial expressions so perfect in rapture of achievement, far superior to frame 34 where although the completion of the structure is accomplished, per say, but the body language, the postures lack the framing of satisfaction which is so evermoer present in the 35.
coupled with its rich floral and tobacco undertones, a brief peppery finish, it can only be superceeded by the ultimate conclusive and final end of time frame.

I find that the subtle dark chocolate and cherry notes, as well as the nuances of toast present in frame 37, paired with the striking visual symmetry provide a much more emotionally satisfying impression of repose after a job well done, whereas in the 35 I feel that the downcast pitch of her head evokes a certain sadness; perhaps coming as a result of the completion of her project.

I find that the collaboration in frame 42, along with how the incomplete construction emphasizes our waiting makes it one of the best frames. And it is 42, so how could other frames even compete.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Gotta Love MythBusters

They did that too?

Well, since Coke introduced Plastic bottles almost 4 decades ago, and still distributes the smaller ones in glass today, it could be either.
1298 and counting

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

BA-DA-BING!!!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:
AionArap wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Gotta Love MythBusters

They did that too?

Well, since Coke introduced Plastic bottles almost 4 decades ago, and still distributes the smaller ones in glass today, it could be either.

Well, didn't know that. We didn't get the plastic ones here in Norway until the late 80'ies iirc, this was sometime mid 80'ies.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Qalyar wrote:
Eshru wrote:
MyBrainHurts wrote:OK, that's REALLY strange.
Cause, you know what I stumpled upon last weekend having a walk in my woods?

Donnie Darko's Skull!!!!!

Donnie Darko's Skull by My brain hurts! on Flickr

Frank iirc

Correct. The rabbit is not Donnie Darko. Or Shazam.

You donkey butt! Your tactic of diverting me to TVtropes won't work forever! TO the comfy chair!

Anything but that!

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Being just shy of 3 decades old myself, I do not recall plastic as being less common than glass at any point in my life when it comes to soft drinks, so plastic? (damn new posts stalling me to where this content was posted before mine)

Also, what's the deal with heavy handed pepper notes in beers? A bit is fine I guess, but several go way overboard, to the point that if pepper is mentioned, I rarely give the beer a chance.
Last edited by Eshru on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:[....]

Well, didn't know that. We didn't get the plastic ones here in Norway until the late 80'ies iirc, this was sometime mid 80'ies.

Ehr... applying the right ... motivation ... a glass bottle may end desintegrated vanish from sight with a bright flash and a loud bang. All to be found are traces of silicon dioxide dust. Of course, you won't be such an irresponsible guy doing these kind of things. You probably mistook the wineskin for a bottle of coke. Happened anywhere in the 80's and 90's.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

I think Cueball is going to need more flags... maybe that's where Megan has gone. To make more magic flags.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

More? He took two down before, right? Unless you think this tower needs three?

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:[....]

Ehr... applying the right ... motivation ... a glass bottle may end desintegrated vanish from sight with a bright flash and a loud bang. All to be found are traces of silicon dioxide dust. Of course, you won't be such an irresponsible guy doing these kind of things. You probably mistook the wineskin for a bottle of coke. Happened anywhere in the 80's and 90's.

I was just speaking hypothetically of course. Obviously, I'm the epitome of responsibleness, and would never attempt such foolishness.
No siree!

BA-DA-BING!!!

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

What if those things we thought of as merlons are actually two towers?

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:What if those things we thought of as merlons are actually two towers?

Should we be expecting orcs or airliners?
EDIT: Both maybe? Orcs flying airliners?

BA-DA-BING!!!

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:What if those things we thought of as merlons are actually two towers?

Like this? https://vimeo.com/52716431

EDIT: although, there are not many orcs
EDIT2: alt-link
Last edited by PinkShinyRose on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:57 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

So this is my 100th post in this thread...... A shocking amount.
I feel I should say something profound and in keeping with the decorum and level of this thread.

Titty Bacon
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

(Catches up)

Did we completely miss 351:
Fellow waiters, be we slipping*?

higgs-boson wrote:At first, I thought a wiki for a single xkcd comic a bit... well. Oversized, overambitious.

Hey, 426 has one.

SBN wrote:
JCPenney wrote:

I find that the collaboration in frame 42, along with how the incomplete construction emphasizes our waiting makes it one of the best frames. And it is 42, so how could other frames even compete.

224, in which Cueball and Megan are reunited over the joy of trebuchet-dealt destruction.

*(slippin', slippin') into the future.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:So this is my 100th post in this thread...... A shocking amount.
I feel I should say something profound and in keeping with the decorum and level of this thread.

Titty Bacon

It is truly an honor to witness such eloquence!
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Sadly this only shows up as a still image for me.

Mr Moriaty wrote:So this is my 100th post in this thread...... A shocking amount.

Titty Bacon

The best kind of bacon, especially if it comes with cheese.

Smithers wrote:(Catches up)

It was covered:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=9080#p3317507

EDIT: Nvm.
Last edited by AionArap on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BA-DA-BING!!!

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:

And this one?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

I personally like 46. It's as the seventh day in certain Outsider religions, when the creators stepped back and looked upon their creation. And thought, "that's neat, let's do some more."

163 is good, too. The cherry on the top of the first castle.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

I have added the CDT page to the wiki. If someone wants to edit/add something to it, it would be appreciated. I really hate the way I put the citations.
Smithers wrote:(Catches up)

higgs-boson wrote:At first, I thought a wiki for a single xkcd comic a bit... well. Oversized, overambitious.

Hey, 426 has one.

SBN wrote:
JCPenney wrote:

224, in which Cueball and Megan are reunited over the joy of trebuchet-dealt destruction.

*(slippin', slippin') into the future.

About Geohashing, I think someone should use that algorithm to find places where to build Magic Kingdoi.

PS: Image
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:About Geohashing, I think someone should use that algorithm to find places where to build Magic Kingdoi.

Perhaps they will accept the introduction of a Magic Kingdoi achievement.

EDIT: Why didn't we use the xkcd wiki instead of wikia?
Last edited by PinkShinyRose on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:

And this one?

That one worked, but yes, a definite lack of orcs.

BA-DA-BING!!!

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:

And this one?

There was one...

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:

And this one?

There was one...

Doesn't really count as orcs now does it?

BA-DA-BING!!!

John W Kennedy

Postby John W Kennedy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
kryton wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:I'm on it. The last bolder trap may have failed to kill that Professor Jones guy but I have refined it with big spikes, Holy uranium and even more dramatic music.

But doesn't Plutonium catching fire in warm open air? That aught to be a much more impressive boulder trap.

Nah, Sodium (Na) does that.

A Francium Boulder with a pit of water at the end... now thats an idea.

Francium has been calculated to be liquid at room temperature.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Hymn to frame 47
"Whatever shall we do, oh lord"
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:

And this one?

There was one...

What if you watch it twice? Or the same video in two frames next to each other?

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
AionArap wrote:

And this one?

There was one...

What if you watch it twice? Or the same video in two frames next to each other?

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' ORCS ON THIS MOTHERFUCKIN' PLANE!

BA-DA-BING!!!

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Cueball must be doing some work lower on the castle, or he sprinted off screen.
Third Option would be BuffyGirl turning him into a "Peanutbutter and Jelly Sandwich"

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:Image

OH THE DESPAIR, OH THE INHUMANITY, THEY'RE GONE, NEVER TO RETURN!

Or maybe they'll return in 5-25 newpix and continue, like they always have so far.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

What is that structure in the middle anyhow? Inquiring minds must know!

Edit: 25 newpix is a long time now, that's for sure.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Eshru wrote:What is that structure in the middle anyhow? Inquiring minds must know!

Edit: 25 newpix is a long time now, that's for sure.

It's starting to look like a third castle...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”