1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:59 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Where did all the quote-creating folks go?
You know what? I'm out. I'll go back to watching Lord Randall's other creations.

What is this 'out' of which you speak? Is it at all related to the Outside?
THAT'S RIGHT EVERYONE I'M BAACK

Not at all; it's the open continuum composed of the What-If and all other xkcd comics, both creations of Lord Randall and therefore not from the Outside (and which doesn't include this one because it's another continuum).
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

mattiep

Postby mattiep » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Not much change.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:02 am UTC

He's thinking, "Now what?"
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:15 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:Poor Cueball, he broke it again.

Yeah, he keeps pocketing himself.

EDIT: Umm, scratch that.

THANK YOU I have been waiting for this all thread.

You're both going on the rack for that.

I'll chalk this conversation up as failed.

Hey, I'm calling the shots here. I bet you can't even english. As a matter of fact, I'm banking on it.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:15 am UTC

I haven't been here for a while, but things have been slowing down he. I wonder how long will it go on, may be time will outlast this tread.. may be not. may be right until the last second of our existence in this unholy earth someone will be posting here...

Also the pope page in the wiki is really lacking information, I think is time for us to get to know better helper the first, like what are his dreams at night, how many sugar cubes per coffee cup? semeneated or unsemeneated coffee? a giant duck or 100 duck sized horses? you know all the important stuff to complete the wiki page.
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Hey, I'm calling the shots here. I bet you can't even english. As a matter of fact, I'm banking on it.

I should have avoided this. Should have let it sink, but now I don't want to break.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:20 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:

I should have avoided this. Should have let it sink, but now I don't want to break.

And now you're just left there standing with your ball in hand. How's it feel to be the butt of the joke?
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:32 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:

And now you're just left there standing with your ball in hand. How's it feel to be the butt of the joke?

I think this is my cue to leave. No matter what angle I try, I just can't draw up anything to counter that.
EDIT: can't bridge into another topic, either.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:59 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:

I think this is my cue to leave. No matter what angle I try, I just can't draw up anything to counter that.

Yeah I know it's a hard act to follow, finding a good hook is mostly hit and miss. I'm not gonna lie, you seem to have run out of steam. Here's a tip: If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I'm just gonna frame this and find a good spot on the wall.
Or we could just kiss and make up.

BA-DA-BING!!!

FyKnight

Postby FyKnight » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 am UTC

I will continue to wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:02 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Yeah I know it's a hard act to follow, finding a good hook is mostly hit and miss. I'm not gonna lie, you seem to have run out of steam. Here's a tip: If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I'm just gonna frame this and find a good spot on the wall.

We could, if I had lips. I'm just a red light and a speaker on the wall.
Be sure to clean off the light when you're done.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Is he shaping the sand or just trying to decide what to do now?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:09 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:

I'm sorry. I'm afraid I can't do that.

EDIT: Maybe Dave can help?
Last edited by AionArap on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BA-DA-BING!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Look , I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:15 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Look , I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Oh come on, stop being passive aggressive and just open the pod bay doors.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:19 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:I haven't been here for a while, but things have been slowing down he. I wonder how long will it go on, may be time will outlast this tread.. may be not. may be right until the last second of our existence in this unholy earth someone will be posting here...

Also the pope page in the wiki is really lacking information, I think is time for us to get to know better helper the first, like what are his dreams at night, how many sugar cubes per coffee cup? semeneated or unsemeneated coffee? a giant duck or 100 duck sized horses? you know all the important stuff to complete the wiki page.

Let's see...
Dreams at night: throwing china at loonies and watching said loonies sufffering bipolar breakdowns.
0 sugar cube is semenated coffe, obviously.
A giant duck. Or a hundred duck-sized ducks.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:<punfest>

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
(is it strange that the only times I can remember crying during a movie is when HAL dies and when the Iron Giant dies? I think it's strange.)

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

(is it strange that the only times I can remember crying during a movie is when HAL dies and when the Iron Giant dies? I think it's strange.)

I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.

BA-DA-BING!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:32 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Let's not get into this. I might have to miss a few newpix to watch that film again.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:37 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Let's not get into this. I might have to miss a few newpix to watch that film again.

Hehe, I hear ya. I had to look up Iron Giant, never saw that one I'm afraid. My first thought was Laputa :P
And no, I don't find it strange, that's just the sign of a great story :)

Btw, I'll just use the emergency airlock, ok? ;)

BA-DA-BING!!!

htom

Postby htom » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:41 am UTC

Down to 15 users and 44 guests. Getting quiet in here, and I must coma again.

Wait for it.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Hehe, I hear ya. I had to look up Iron Giant, never saw that one I'm afraid. My first thought was Laputa :P

Without your space helmet? You're going to find that rather difficult.
Yeah, the robots in Laputa (my favorite Miyazaki film, by the way) do look like the Iron Giant. Heck, the one that helps them escape the castle by trashing the place does die an Iron Giant-worthy death.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:44 am UTC

You don't waste Time, Time wastes you.

Chumbawumba
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Here is the quotes from the scene ( now I do not have it memorized, I looked it up).

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:48 am UTC

Helper wrote:
diego5wh wrote:I haven't been here for a while, but things have been slowing down he. I wonder how long will it go on, may be time will outlast this tread.. may be not. may be right until the last second of our existence in this unholy earth someone will be posting here...

Let's see...
Dreams at night: throwing china at loonies and watching said loonies sufffering bipolar breakdowns.

ok this is as much as I will vandalize add to the wiki today. but when my outside duties are done i will be back, even if, heaven forbids, times stops.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Pope_Helper_the_first
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:49 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Yeah, the robots in Laputa (my favorite Miyazaki film, by the way) do look like the Iron Giant. Heck, the one that helps them escape the castle by trashing the place does die an Iron Giant-worthy death.

I won't argue with you any more, you've clearly made some very poor decisions recently,
Laputa is truly a classic isn't, I might have to check out Iron Giant then.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:53 am UTC

Well if HAL won't help, maybe you'll find someone else to help you.

Maybe Black Mesa?

In other news, today's progress amounts to nothing in the comic. That bothers me a bit, but honestly it's a fair reflection of life I suppose.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:Hehe, I hear ya. I had to look up Iron Giant, never saw that one I'm afraid. My first thought was Laputa :P

I won't argue with you any more, you've clearly made some very poor decisions recently,

Oh yeah, I totally recommend Iron Giant. One of the many facets of my childhood, along with Edward Gorey and White Zombie.
I only recently saw most of the Studio Ghibli stuff, and I'm in love with most of it.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:57 am UTC

I itch...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Eshru wrote:Well if HAL won't help, maybe you'll find someone else to help you.

Maybe Black Mesa?

Was that a joke?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Maybe Black Mesa?

What? You're saying that cold-hearted manipulative bitch is still alive?
I'll stick with HAL thank you very much.
Also, he*s a much better singer.

BA-DA-BING!!!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:02 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Image

He knocked down the mini-towers so he could keep building up, perhaps?

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:

Maybe Black Mesa?

Was that a joke?

Anyway, this cake is great.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:10 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
macraw83 wrote:

Maybe Black Mesa?

Was that a joke?

Anyway, this cake is great.

So she's told me.
http://xkcd.com/375/

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:11 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:Hehe, I hear ya. I had to look up Iron Giant, never saw that one I'm afraid. My first thought was Laputa :P

Oh yeah, I totally recommend Iron Giant. One of the many facets of my childhood, along with Edward Gorey and White Zombie.
I only recently saw most of the Studio Ghibli stuff, and I'm in love with most of it.

Heh, my childhood was about 2 decades behind me by the time that one came out, so I guess that at least halfway explains how I missed it.
Anyways, comatime for me. Hold the fort and make sure Cueball doesn't stumble over himself again and tears it all down.

BA-DA-BING!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Image

That looks eerily like a lightly buried corpse.

Has cueball done something with megan?

Or maybe he's making a sand-frankenstein.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:24 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:
Helper wrote:

Let's see...

ok this is as much as I will vandalize add to the wiki today. but when my outside duties are done i will be back, even if, heaven forbids, times stops.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Pope_Helper_the_first

:oops: <3

I ought to coma now. Night all y'all.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

TheRic

Postby TheRic » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:31 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Heh, my childhood was about 2 decades behind me by the time that one came out, so I guess that at least halfway explains how I missed it.
Anyways, comatime for me. Hold the fort and make sure Cueball doesn't stumble over himself again and tears it all down.

Hell, I graduated 2 decades before it came out. Heard of it, that's it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:38 am UTC

A coma's starting to sound pretty good. Night all!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”