1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:Oh for popes sake. Give Cueball some of that coffee (Or any other stimulant). he must be the slowest builder of all things sand known to man.

We need Megan back with her turbo build skills.

Somebody should stat up some NPC sheets for Megan and Cueball. We need to quantify their personalities and building skills. And what better way than rolling 7 x 3d6's? (drop lowest)

are we re-rolling ones?
If not, then we should just do point buy.

Nah,I think we have some bigots who believe in pointillism around here. Better keep it safe for the masses.

Maybe we should use a different system...Fate doesn't use dice to generate characters. Hero system uses ridiculous maths. however, I suggest GURPS, because GURPS.

Let's take Rolemaster. We would be busy modelling Megan and Cueball for at least a week. And BlitzGirl could catch up more easily.

Hell, we could probably take a week just coming up with the critical fumble tables for Cueball.
Last edited by KarMann on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

PinkShinyRose

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

Helper wrote:
Qalyar wrote:
Helper wrote:Except, with this type of desturction, I don't see how the beach woll be level, if it be supposed to loop...

I, for one, be not a loopist.

Sinner! ur goin to sand hell!

I'm wondering: does this mean loopism is the only true stream of timewaiting now that Helper has become Vatican Milliner's Prefect Customer?

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Helper wrote:
Qalyar wrote:
Helper wrote:Except, with this type of desturction, I don't see how the beach woll be level, if it be supposed to loop...

I'm wondering: does this mean loopism is the only true stream of timewaiting now that Helper has become Vatican Milliner's Prefect Customer?

not at all. loopism is a personal choice. it was not a papal decree. (The pope didn't preface it with "simon says")
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
orthogon wrote:
higgs-boson (in his/her sig) wrote:Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers

Hang on a minute. The historical record as revealed by the One True Thread clearly shows that His (or her) (arse-)holiness Pope Helper the zeroth appointed you Apostolic Vistitator and owing to papal infallibility this must stand. I beseech you to change your sig accordingly, lest you be burned as a heretic.
[Edit: pronouns]
[Edit2: I used the Outsider unit "minute". I meant "Hang on a centilongpix" (roughly speaking). Mea maxima culpa.]

Relax. For we all may speak high of your zeal and sharp eyes, Pope Helper in his wisdom did not pretext the anointing with "Simon says: ", as any member of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis would certainly have to point out. So it is to us to deduce (not to interpret!) the Meaning of Pope Helpers words and not to fumble over semi-mortal syntactical incidents.

bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
Helper wrote:
Qalyar wrote:

not at all. loopism is a personal choice. it was not a papal decree. (The pope didn't preface it with "simon says")

Someone's actually following my rules, I'm surprised!

bigcrag92 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Good morning, here's Europe, awake and kickin'.
<snip>

wow you're all of europe? I'm impressed.

Doe's that mean I'm inside you? that's weird.

trying to think of what part of the body the uk would be to europe...

I live in Italy. It is long and in the South. Should I be worried?
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

What about SPECIAL, a nice streamlined point system that allows you to min/max a bit?

Anyhow, I coma'd and nothing* happened in the comic. I'm tempted to not check the comic all day.

*figuratively
Last edited by Eshru on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Frame 371:
Last edited by Flotter on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
orthogon wrote:
higgs-boson (in his/her sig) wrote:Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers

Hang on a minute. The historical record as revealed by the One True Thread clearly shows that His (or her) (arse-)holiness Pope Helper the zeroth appointed you Apostolic Vistitator and owing to papal infallibility this must stand. I beseech you to change your sig accordingly, lest you be burned as a heretic.
[Edit2: I used the Outsider unit "minute". I meant "Hang on a centilongpix" (roughly speaking). Mea maxima culpa.]

Relax. For we all may speak high of your zeal and sharp eyes, Pope Helper in his wisdom did not pretext the anointing with "Simon says: ", as any member of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis would certainly have to point out. So it is to us to deduce (not to interpret!) the Meaning of Pope Helpers words and not to fumble over semi-mortal syntactical incidents.

bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
Helper wrote:
Qalyar wrote:

bigcrag92 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
<snip>

I think you should be proud...

does following your rules mean i get to join the CPT?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
<snip>

Well, Italy is obviously the lower leg...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:
orthogon wrote:

bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
Helper wrote:
Qalyar wrote:

bigcrag92 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
<snip>

well, given that Scotland is the kilt, The south must be the top of the metaphorical body.
You, Italy, make the UK Cyrano de'Bergerac.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
udscbt wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
orthogon wrote:

bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
Helper wrote:
Qalyar wrote:

bigcrag92 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
<snip>

I think you should be proud...

does following your rules mean i get to join the CPT?

If you spelled it right you would already be in. Ok, only because you ratified my cardinalship you can be the Secretary of the CDT. Welcome aboard!

Wait a moment, you also mispelled my name when you ratified me!
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:<snip>
If you spelled it right you would already be in. Ok, only because you ratified my cardinalship you can be the Secretary of the CDT. Welcome aboard!

spelling has never been my strong point.... just means i'll be hunting for hairytics

Lord Cathbad wrote:

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:

spelling has never been my strong point.... just means i'll be hunting for hairytics

Actually, it took me a while to learn how to spell my username.
EDIT: For anyone wondering (or wanting to learn how to properly read it), it means "Up Down Strange Charm Bottom Top"

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

As long as he doesn't sea any hairy ticks, I'm good.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

EDIT: For anyone wondering (or wanting to learn how to properly read it), it means "Up Down Strange Charm Bottom Top"

I would have put it udsctb but only because its how the hank green song goes. now i know what it means i won't spell it wrong :)

Lord Cathbad wrote:

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Wait a moment, you also mispelled my name when you ratified me!

Wait, does that mean you are not actually a cardinal?

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:

Yeah, he's been pitching for the Blue Jays for a while.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:

*sigh* fine

I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision. by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Lord Cathbad wrote:

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

As long as he doesn't sea any hairy ticks, I'm good.

I will never eat at his house. He burns hairy ticks on the steaks.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:

All this time, it was all a lie??
bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

*sigh* fine

I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision. by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Phew, I thought I had to change avatar. Well, now I should change signature... maybe later.

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
<snip>

Well, Italy is obviously the lower leg...

Das Boot.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

It's gone all quiet in here...

Lord Cathbad wrote:

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

It's becoming quite boring... erm, I mean, all hail the One True Comic for its revelations!

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

*sigh* fine

Guess this means both you and buffygirl need to be "stuck down", as your previous attempt at ratification was clearly erroneous.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kryton wrote:
kryton wrote:
kryton wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:Oh for popes sake. Give Cueball some of that coffee (Or any other stimulant). he must be the slowest builder of all things sand known to man.

Yep, the only time she messed up at all was because of Cueball come to think of it.

I'd proffer the hypothesis that the timewarp factors on eitherside of this wormhole viewport are inconsistant.
From the observer side the passage of time expanded from newpix to longpix
on the observee side, it expands to an interval wide enough for Megan/Cueball to walk from centerframe to offframe, and inversly contracts to narrow enough that it progresses from holding a splat of building material to lowering it less than an arms length onto the top of the thing-that-is-made.

Like watching a slideshow of a time-lapse camera where the timer circuit went all wonky...

sorry, i realize its bad form to quote one's self...sorry ...sorry

I heard you can go blind doing that.

gives you hair on the palm of your hands I heard.

I heard every time you quote yourself Lord Randall kills a kitten.......
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

JCPenney wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
kryton wrote:
kryton wrote:
kryton wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

Yep, the only time she messed up at all was because of Cueball come to think of it.

I'd proffer the hypothesis that the timewarp factors on eitherside of this wormhole viewport are inconsistant.
From the observer side the passage of time expanded from newpix to longpix
on the observee side, it expands to an interval wide enough for Megan/Cueball to walk from centerframe to offframe, and inversly contracts to narrow enough that it progresses from holding a splat of building material to lowering it less than an arms length onto the top of the thing-that-is-made.

Like watching a slideshow of a time-lapse camera where the timer circuit went all wonky...

sorry, i realize its bad form to quote one's self...sorry ...sorry

I heard you can go blind doing that.

gives you hair on the palm of your hands I heard.

I heard every time you quote yourself Lord Randall kills a kitten sacrifices a baby goat to Baal.......

FTFY
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

*sigh* fine

Guess this means both you and buffygirl need to be "stuck down", as your previous attempt at ratification was clearly erroneous.

not at all. we have two cardinals. if someone creates a user account with ubscdt then they will be automatically be a cardinal. its an incentive to encourage lurkers to register...
and the stuck down is our new form of punishment. you get stuck onto a sheet, covered in honey, and have ants released upon you...

i think i got away with that..

Lord Cathbad wrote:

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

*sigh* fine

not at all. we have two cardinals. if someone creates a user account with ubscdt then they will be automatically be a cardinal. its an incentive to encourage lurkers to register...
and the stuck down is our new form of punishment. you get stuck onto a sheet, covered in honey, and have ants released upon you...

Damnit, I just tried, but it seems I can only register a single account to my email. Not gonna bother creating a second one just for that :P

BA-DA-BING!!!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

Seems to me the last 5 or 10 pages look far more like talk.bizarre than xkcd forums. Have we been assimilated by a group of lost souls from the roaring 90's of Usenet?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

*sigh* fine

Damnit, I just tried, but it seems I can only register a single account to my email. Not gonna bother creating a second one just for that :P

The actual reason for the mess of typos was that I wrote the initial benediction at 6:30 am...

Lord Cathbad wrote:

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Seems to me the last 5 or 10 pages look far more like talk.bizarre than xkcd forums. Have we been assimilated by a group of lost souls from the roaring 90's of Usenet?

only the last 5 or ten pages?

Lord Cathbad wrote:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Image
It's becoming quite boring... erm, I mean, all hail the One True Comic for its revelations!

Are we still in the same "Architectural Period" on the wiki? Cause this is taking, like, a LOT of Time.

"Architectural" makes it sound all highfaluting and productive, when really it's more like the "Fiddly-Fart Around With the Big Mound in the Middle" period.

When IS Megan returning!?!?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

*sigh* fine

As of now, this forum knows 241147 different users. You could have done better misspelling.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
udscbt wrote:Image

Are we still in the same "Architectural Period" on the wiki? Cause this is taking, like, a LOT of Time.

"Architectural" makes it sound all highfaluting and productive, when really it's more like the "Fiddly-Fart Around With the Big Mound in the Middle" period.

When IS Megan returning!?!?

Architectural in the same way that the pyramids were built...

you know what they say... rome wasn't built in a newpix.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Damnit, I just tried, but it seems I can only register a single account to my email. Not gonna bother creating a second one just for that :P

A wise move. as a general rule, sockpuppets are frowned upon (there are exceptions). You might want to check with a mod or admin before going ahead if you do decide to.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
AionArap wrote:Damnit, I just tried, but it seems I can only register a single account to my email. Not gonna bother creating a second one just for that :P

A wise move. as a general rule, sockpuppets are frowned upon (there are exceptions). You might want to check with a mod or admin before going ahead if you do decide to.

Meh, as I said, not gonna bother. Was really just an attempt at making a joke anyway.

BA-DA-BING!!!

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

And a grand joke it would have been!
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
<snip>

You're right -- I must adjust my expectations to meet the proper pacing of time, and become one with the ebb and flow of the One True Comic.

So...

bigcrag92 wrote:you know what they say... rome wasn't built in a newpix. Wait For It

FTFY
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
<snip>

You're right -- I must adjust my expectations to meet the proper pacing of time, and become one with the ebb and flow of the One True Comic.

So...

bigcrag92 wrote:you know what they say... rome wasn't built in a newpix. Wait For It

FTFY

Yea they say that too :)

Lord Cathbad wrote:

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:Architectural in the same way that the pyramids were built...

You figured it out! He's building a Mound!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monks_Mound

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:Architectural in the same way that the pyramids were built...

You figured it out! He's building a Mound!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monks_Mound

Yeah, even Cueball's skills would cover that.
On the other hand, he has already shown that he can manage a late middle age middle European castle, bergfried and bridge included.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”