1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Jonas79
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Jonas79 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

We REALLY need Megan to come back and speed things up. Cueball is taking forever to build whatever he's building...

Image

Cueball turned.
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Image
He must be joking! Not even Cueball is THAT slow! Is he waiting for Megan to tell him what to do?
EDIT: ninja'd but posting anyway
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

User avatar
RobIrr
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 pm UTC
Location: Salford. UK.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby RobIrr » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

[img ]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/8249a8e779ed1dc1c6bd6d9bffc962af233234dd67cd30aca91dcca31975dbb8.png[/img]

Sigh. Ninjad on my first attempt. You lot are too quick.
Image
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

I think there's too many ninjas
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
udscbt
Cardinal
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Italy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby udscbt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:I think there's too many ninjas

Ninjas are never enough! Now I hope that Megan will return with some ninjas. And raptors, I'm still waiting for raptors.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:I think there's too many ninjas

Ninjas are never enough! Now I hope that Megan will return with some ninjas. And raptors, I'm still waiting for raptors.

maybe there's already raptors and they're ninja raptors?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:I think there's too many ninjas

Ninjas are never enough! Now I hope that Megan will return with some ninjas. And raptors, I'm still waiting for raptors.


We're ALL waiting for raptors! :D
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
cari.j.elliot
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Where are my hoverboards? If we're bringing in raptors, I demand hoverboards as well. OR! electric skateboards, at the least. http://xkcd.com/577/

Though on the sand/coffee grounds.... They would need to have off-roading wheels. Possibly with amphibious attachments for use on liquids. Maybe a propeller that drops down, and floaties in or around the wheels....
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:Where are my hoverboards? If we're bringing in raptors, I demand hoverboards as well. OR! electric skateboards, at the least. http://xkcd.com/577/

Though on the sand/coffee grounds.... They would need to have off-roading wheels. Possibly with amphibious attachments for use on liquids. Maybe a propeller that drops down, and floaties in or around the wheels....

I was just planning on using a blimp and cape...I wish I were Corey Doctrow...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Catching up on some of the recent postings I missed, and I see this from our Arch-Cardinal:

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I think that the final culmination of The One True Comic (if there is one) MUST involve something specifically about either Time or Waiting. Also, I think we will have another zoom-out, and then maybe another few after that. Eventually it will be the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy, the universe.

The castle-building is a metaphor for human existence in general, and the eventual zooming out will put both Humanity and Time in perspective -- maybe something going all the way back to the Big Bong Theory.

Okay, all you people care about is Hats and Evil (snipped from quote). The Arch-Cardinal posted about the content of the One True Comic! for once Hear Her!


Signed,
buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection.

Edit: *pouts*


You know what? That was a really insightful thought amidst the normal hatophilia! I apologize for not being on-line earlier and commenting on it at the Time -- hopefully this will retroactively de-pout ya!

EDITTED too coreckt mie schitty spelingk..


Thank you! (do you like my newest hat?)
MadHatter-Blue-smlr.jpg
Blue MadHatter Hat
MadHatter-Blue-smlr.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 10335 times


Branching out from Cardinal hats to include a broader array of hat awesomeness

EDIT: changed pic size; was too small.
Last edited by buffygirl on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Catching up on some of the recent postings I missed, and I see this from our Arch-Cardinal:

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I think that the final culmination of The One True Comic (if there is one) MUST involve something specifically about either Time or Waiting. Also, I think we will have another zoom-out, and then maybe another few after that. Eventually it will be the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy, the universe.

The castle-building is a metaphor for human existence in general, and the eventual zooming out will put both Humanity and Time in perspective -- maybe something going all the way back to the Big Bong Theory.

Okay, all you people care about is Hats and Evil (snipped from quote). The Arch-Cardinal posted about the content of the One True Comic! for once Hear Her!


Signed,
buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection.

Edit: *pouts*


You know what? That was a really insightful thought amidst the normal hatophilia! I apologize for not being on-line earlier and commenting on it at the Time -- hopefully this will retroactively de-pout ya!

EDITTED too coreckt mie schitty spelingk..


Thank you! (do you like my newest hat?)
MadHatter-Blue-smlr.jpg


EDIT: Branching out from Cardinal hats to include a broader array of hat awesomeness



I like it :)
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

lassehp
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lassehp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Seems to me the last 5 or 10 pages look far more like talk.bizarre than xkcd forums. Have we been assimilated by a group of lost souls from the roaring 90's of Usenet?


Aw, you had to remind me. I had the pleasure of getting Usenet access a year or so before the eternal September started. I really do miss talk.bizarre, news.announce.newusers (when I was a university sysadmin in the mid-nineties, I still made a point of directing any new users to read the guidelines - what a shame people don't seem to know about them anymore), comp.sys.mac.programmers, alt.models (which sometimes had erroneous crossposts from naughty image groups, and thus was moved to rec.models.scale), comp.lang.perl and a.s.b. Just to mention a few...

I guess I am a lost soul from the roaring 90's of Usenet... and I think the WWW has been trying to recreate Usenet badly ever since. I never have understood why there needs to be a forum on almost every large community website, often duplicating topics and questions asked, when everything could be in a nice hierarchical order... Not to mention the variety of discussion interfaces (forum software), all of which stink in comparison to efficient newsreaders like NewsWatcher (which did have an issue with stripping the msb of Latin1 though, until I hacked it a bit). Just the other day I noticed that Facebook is finally experimenting with threaded nesting comments!!

I really wish for a revival of Usenet! (I have some ideas, anybody interested? Send me a PM.)

RFD rec.arts.comics.web.xkcd anyone?

--
Lasse Hiller=F8e Petersen \ "Min kaephest har faaet et foel!" \ "Min k{phest har f}et et f|l!"
\ "Min kfphest har feet et fxl!" \ "Min k=E6phest har f=E5et et f=F8l!"
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Catching up on some of the recent postings I missed, and I see this from our Arch-Cardinal:

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I think that the final culmination of The One True Comic (if there is one) MUST involve something specifically about either Time or Waiting. Also, I think we will have another zoom-out, and then maybe another few after that. Eventually it will be the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy, the universe.

The castle-building is a metaphor for human existence in general, and the eventual zooming out will put both Humanity and Time in perspective -- maybe something going all the way back to the Big Bong Theory.

Okay, all you people care about is Hats and Evil (snipped from quote). The Arch-Cardinal posted about the content of the One True Comic! for once Hear Her!


Signed,
buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection.

Edit: *pouts*


You know what? That was a really insightful thought amidst the normal hatophilia! I apologize for not being on-line earlier and commenting on it at the Time -- hopefully this will retroactively de-pout ya!

EDITTED too coreckt mie schitty spelingk..


Thank you! (do you like my newest hat?)

MadHatter-Blue-smlr.jpg

Branching out from Cardinal hats to include a broader array of hat awesomeness


Absolutely. Best Hat Evah!

The color brings out the Cardinality in your eyes...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Catching up on some of the recent postings I missed, and I see this from our Arch-Cardinal:

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I think that the final culmination of The One True Comic (if there is one) MUST involve something specifically about either Time or Waiting. Also, I think we will have another zoom-out, and then maybe another few after that. Eventually it will be the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy, the universe.

The castle-building is a metaphor for human existence in general, and the eventual zooming out will put both Humanity and Time in perspective -- maybe something going all the way back to the Big Bong Theory.

Okay, all you people care about is Hats and Evil (snipped from quote). The Arch-Cardinal posted about the content of the One True Comic! for once Hear Her!


Signed,
buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection.

Edit: *pouts*


You know what? That was a really insightful thought amidst the normal hatophilia! I apologize for not being on-line earlier and commenting on it at the Time -- hopefully this will retroactively de-pout ya!

EDITTED too coreckt mie schitty spelingk..


Thank you! (do you like my newest hat?)

MadHatter-Blue-smlr.jpg

Branching out from Cardinal hats to include a broader array of hat awesomeness


Absolutely. Best Hat Evah!

The color brings out the Cardinality in your eyes...

I dunno. I prefer hats that are just a bit jauntier.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ubscdt
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ubscdt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:not at all. we have two cardinals. if someone creates a user account with ubscdt then they will be automatically be a cardinal. its an incentive to encourage lurkers to register...


i've always wanted to be a religious figure.

The Bus
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby The Bus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

So, it looks like my entirely non-controversial prediction that this would outlast April Fool's Day has come true.

With only 48 frames a day, I think Randall can keep this up as long as he wishes, especially if he has built up a big store of frames for a long time. He could've started working on this in 2010 for all we know.

Because I don't know how to computer, I cannot automagically make this happen, but it would be interesting to see how often comments rolled in. It does seem like there's been a significant slowdown.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

The Bus wrote:So, it looks like my entirely non-controversial prediction that this would outlast April Fool's Day has come true.

With only 48 frames a day, I think Randall can keep this up as long as he wishes, especially if he has built up a big store of frames for a long time. He could've started working on this in 2010 for all we know.

Because I don't know how to computer, I cannot automagically make this happen, but it would be interesting to see how often comments rolled in. It does seem like there's been a significant slowdown.


Been done a couple of times...

Posts by NewPix:

Image

Post by Outsider Day-Star Intervals:

Image
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

The Bus wrote:With only 48 frames a day

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Longpix
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Image

Slowest. Cueball. Ever!!
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:Slowest. Cueball. Ever!!


Yeah, can't we ever get a break.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

anybody noitice that the one true comic kind of resembles the chart of posting frequency?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
AionArap wrote:Slowest. Cueball. Ever!!


Yeah, can't we ever get a break.


No. Stop it! Already been done -- Everybody get outta the pool right this minute!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:anybody noitice that the one true comic kind of resembles the chart of posting frequency?


It would be funny if Randall somehow linked the rate of posting of newpix to the rate of comments on this thread, such that the more people commented, the faster newpix would come.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Dracomax wrote:anybody noitice that the one true comic kind of resembles the chart of posting frequency?


It would be funny if Randall somehow linked the rate of posting of newpix to the rate of comments on this thread, such that the more people commented, the faster newpix would come.

if that were the case, during the madness time, each newpix would correlate roughly to 5 minutes of outsider temporal reckoning.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Ebonite
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ebonite » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Catching up on some of the recent postings I missed, and I see this from our Arch-Cardinal:

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I think that the final culmination of The One True Comic (if there is one) MUST involve something specifically about either Time or Waiting. Also, I think we will have another zoom-out, and then maybe another few after that. Eventually it will be the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy, the universe.

The castle-building is a metaphor for human existence in general, and the eventual zooming out will put both Humanity and Time in perspective -- maybe something going all the way back to the Big Bong Theory.

Okay, all you people care about is Hats and Evil (snipped from quote). The Arch-Cardinal posted about the content of the One True Comic! for once Hear Her!


Signed,
buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection.

Edit: *pouts*


You know what? That was a really insightful thought amidst the normal hatophilia! I apologize for not being on-line earlier and commenting on it at the Time -- hopefully this will retroactively de-pout ya!

EDITTED too coreckt mie schitty spelingk..


Thank you! (do you like my newest hat?)

The attachment MadHatter-Blue-smlr.jpg is no longer available

Branching out from Cardinal hats to include a broader array of hat awesomeness


Asking if we liked your newest hat made me think of this:
Attachments
do-you-like-my-hat.gif
do-you-like-my-hat.gif (15.8 KiB) Viewed 10467 times
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

I would post more often but I don't know how to clever.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I would post more often but I don't know how to clever.

if you say enough random nonsense, eventually someone will think you are clever. That's basically the entire premise of the internet as far as I can tell.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
AionArap wrote:Slowest. Cueball. Ever!!


Yeah, can't we ever get a break.


No. Stop it! Already been done -- Everybody get outta the pool right this minute!


Oh, are we doing this all over again?

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:Poor Cueball, he broke it again.

Yeah, he keeps pocketing himself.

EDIT: Umm, scratch that.

THANK YOU I have been waiting for this all thread.

You're both going on the rack for that.

I'll chalk this conversation up as failed.


Hey, I'm calling the shots here. I bet you can't even english. As a matter of fact, I'm banking on it.

I should have avoided this. Should have let it sink, but now I don't want to break.


And now you're just left there standing with your ball in hand. How's it feel to be the butt of the joke?

I think this is my cue to leave. No matter what angle I try, I just can't draw up anything to counter that.
EDIT: can't bridge into another topic, either.


Yeah I know it's a hard act to follow, finding a good hook is mostly hit and miss. I'm not gonna lie, you seem to have run out of steam. Here's a tip: If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I'm just gonna frame this and find a good spot on the wall.
Or we could just kiss and make up.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I would post more often but I don't know how to clever.


Me neither. So I stick to recording the words of those who do, in the giant wiki page of pure win.

Wiki'd, wiki'd, wiki'd. Anything else? :mrgreen:
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:[
Oh, are we doing this all over again?

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:Poor Cueball, he broke it again.

Yeah, he keeps pocketing himself.

EDIT: Umm, scratch that.

THANK YOU I have been waiting for this all thread.

You're both going on the rack for that.

I'll chalk this conversation up as failed.


Hey, I'm calling the shots here. I bet you can't even english. As a matter of fact, I'm banking on it.

I should have avoided this. Should have let it sink, but now I don't want to break.


And now you're just left there standing with your ball in hand. How's it feel to be the butt of the joke?

I think this is my cue to leave. No matter what angle I try, I just can't draw up anything to counter that.
EDIT: can't bridge into another topic, either.


Yeah I know it's a hard act to follow, finding a good hook is mostly hit and miss. I'm not gonna lie, you seem to have run out of steam. Here's a tip: If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I'm just gonna frame this and find a good spot on the wall.
Or we could just kiss and make up.


A pun chain and I missed it.

Balls!
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

lassehp wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Seems to me the last 5 or 10 pages look far more like talk.bizarre than xkcd forums. Have we been assimilated by a group of lost souls from the roaring 90's of Usenet?


Aw, you had to remind me. I had the pleasure of getting Usenet access a year or so before the eternal September started. I really do miss talk.bizarre, news.announce.newusers (when I was a university sysadmin in the mid-nineties, I still made a point of directing any new users to read the guidelines - what a shame people don't seem to know about them anymore), comp.sys.mac.programmers, alt.models (which sometimes had erroneous crossposts from naughty image groups, and thus was moved to rec.models.scale), comp.lang.perl and a.s.b. Just to mention a few...

I guess I am a lost soul from the roaring 90's of Usenet... and I think the WWW has been trying to recreate Usenet badly ever since. I never have understood why there needs to be a forum on almost every large community website, often duplicating topics and questions asked, when everything could be in a nice hierarchical order... Not to mention the variety of discussion interfaces (forum software), all of which stink in comparison to efficient newsreaders like NewsWatcher (which did have an issue with stripping the msb of Latin1 though, until I hacked it a bit). Just the other day I noticed that Facebook is finally experimenting with threaded nesting comments!!

I really wish for a revival of Usenet! (I have some ideas, anybody interested? Send me a PM.)

RFD rec.arts.comics.web.xkcd anyone?

--
Lasse Hiller=F8e Petersen \ "Min kaephest har faaet et foel!" \ "Min k{phest har f}et et f|l!"
\ "Min kfphest har feet et fxl!" \ "Min k=E6phest har f=E5et et f=F8l!"


Since most of the ISPs dropped free news server access from their offering, it has gone down fast. such a shame too, I have been having usenet withdrawl for several years now because I can't bring myself to pay for another service, and the free news servers subscribe to so little.
1298 and counting

AionArap
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AionArap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
AionArap wrote:[
Oh, are we doing this all over again?

AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AionArap wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
kryton wrote:Poor Cueball, he broke it again.

Yeah, he keeps pocketing himself.

EDIT: Umm, scratch that.

THANK YOU I have been waiting for this all thread.

You're both going on the rack for that.

I'll chalk this conversation up as failed.


Hey, I'm calling the shots here. I bet you can't even english. As a matter of fact, I'm banking on it.

I should have avoided this. Should have let it sink, but now I don't want to break.


And now you're just left there standing with your ball in hand. How's it feel to be the butt of the joke?

I think this is my cue to leave. No matter what angle I try, I just can't draw up anything to counter that.
EDIT: can't bridge into another topic, either.


Yeah I know it's a hard act to follow, finding a good hook is mostly hit and miss. I'm not gonna lie, you seem to have run out of steam. Here's a tip: If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I'm just gonna frame this and find a good spot on the wall.
Or we could just kiss and make up.


A pun chain and I missed it.

Balls!


Yeah, it was quite a long string of masse punnage.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Catching up on some of the recent postings I missed, and I see this from our Arch-Cardinal:

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I think that the final culmination of The One True Comic (if there is one) MUST involve something specifically about either Time or Waiting. Also, I think we will have another zoom-out, and then maybe another few after that. Eventually it will be the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy, the universe.

The castle-building is a metaphor for human existence in general, and the eventual zooming out will put both Humanity and Time in perspective -- maybe something going all the way back to the Big Bong Theory.

Okay, all you people care about is Hats and Evil (snipped from quote). The Arch-Cardinal posted about the content of the One True Comic! for once Hear Her!


Signed,
buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection.

Edit: *pouts*


You know what? That was a really insightful thought amidst the normal hatophilia! I apologize for not being on-line earlier and commenting on it at the Time -- hopefully this will retroactively de-pout ya!

EDITTED too coreckt mie schitty spelingk..

Your faith in my Wisdom is commendable. You get a bunny rabbit *pulls a bunny rabbit out of her Blue MadHatter Hat.*

User avatar
ugmhemhe
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 6:20 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ugmhemhe » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Catching up on some of the recent postings I missed, and I see this from our Arch-Cardinal:

buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I think that the final culmination of The One True Comic (if there is one) MUST involve something specifically about either Time or Waiting. Also, I think we will have another zoom-out, and then maybe another few after that. Eventually it will be the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy, the universe.

The castle-building is a metaphor for human existence in general, and the eventual zooming out will put both Humanity and Time in perspective -- maybe something going all the way back to the Big Bong Theory.

Okay, all you people care about is Hats and Evil (snipped from quote). The Arch-Cardinal posted about the content of the One True Comic! for once Hear Her!


Signed,
buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection.

Edit: *pouts*


You know what? That was a really insightful thought amidst the normal hatophilia! I apologize for not being on-line earlier and commenting on it at the Time -- hopefully this will retroactively de-pout ya!

EDITTED too coreckt mie schitty spelingk..

Your faith in my Wisdom is commendable. You get a bunny rabbit *pulls a bunny rabbit out of her Blue MadHatter Hat.*


I want a hat too :D
Image

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Spoiler:
KarMann wrote:
udscbt wrote:
KarMann wrote:Perhaps a group of us should look into this. Call it the Congregation for the Doctrine of Temporal Faith, or something. Nobody would expect that.

Excuse me! I am the Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis (check the wiki and this), we don't need to create one.

Excellent. Deranged minds think alike. Get busy, then; looks like you've got work to do.

The CDT presents:
Faith FAQ!
Q: What was before Time?
A: Nothing was before Time. Time always was and always will be.
Q: Who or what created Time?
A: Time itself created itself. The name we give to the Creator aspect of Time is Lord Randall.
Q: How do Time affect our lives?
A: Time decided to reveal itself through the One True Comic, created by Lord Randall. The One True Comic always was and it is Time, and as Time it must be worshipped. The One True Comic is both in Newpixia and in the Outside, to help the ones deceived by the Hat.
Q: If Time always existed, why do I remember things before it?
A: In Truth, what you remember is only an illusion. After the creation of Time, Lord Randall created the Hat as his servant. But the Hat became envious of the power reserved to the One True Comic and declared war to it. Time banished the Hat from Newpixia and it is now doomed to live in the Outside where he tries to deceive the faithfuls.
Disclaimer: not all hats are evil
Q: How do you protect yourself from the Hat?
A: You have to burn it and after that purify yourself by drinking blessed baby-free semenated coffe. Beware, because even the strongest can be tricked by the Hat (e.g. our Arch-Cardinal)
Q: What are Newpixia and the Outside?
A: Newpixia is the place where Time resides, we all belong to Newpixia but we have to remain in the Outside until the Hat won't be destroyed.
Q: What is a Frame?
A: A Frame is a Revelation from Time through the One True Comic. Lord Randall draws every Frame for us to venerate. If you miss a Frame, you have to look it from a holy archive as soon as possible.
Q: How do I know when a Frame will come?
A: Time created the Ancestral DONG to warn us of and incoming Revelation, but the screams of the Hat can cover its holy sound. Only the most faithful can hear it over the Hat's lament. If you're not yet ready to listen directly to the Ancestral DONG, two Web-based DONG have been created: http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=gxMXfoy and http://www.webcountdown.net/?a=v2WZqAO&k=H68Q; beware, in its gigantic evilness the Hat has sped up the outsider "time", making the first Web-based DONG useless.
Q: How should I worship Time?
A: Avoid sleep because you will miss Frames, coma instead. Reject the Outside, because it is the Reign of the Hat. Drink coffee everyday, but don't add babies to it; if you want, you can drink it with semen, but only of virgins. Don't assume that the Timewaiter you're talking about is a male, use a gender-neutral pronoun instead; you shouldn't assume anything actually. And most of all, "Wait for it.".
Q: How can I learn more about the Timewaiters?
A: The Holy Scriptures will help you.
Note: the Holy Scriptures are shared with other religions, some of which are heretic.
Q: ???
A: !!!
Q: Can you prove all these things?
A: Of course I can, it's a shame you will be burned as a heretic before you can hear the answer.
Q: Who gives you all this authority?
A: Burn the heretic!
Q: I think that...
A: Heretic! Heretic! Heretic!


I say you can't prove these things. I also have a definite suspicion you can't begin to burn hard enough to hurt me. Your move. :twisted:


*pokes buffygirl and whoever else happens to be on* Never did see a reply to this... the comfy chair, perhaps? :P

Although as a fire-based being I would probably just scorch it into sand... or coffee grounds.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
cari.j.elliot
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

I have a sig! Does this mean I have leveled up as an Initiate of Time? Do I at some point become eligible for Cardinality?
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:I have a sig! Does this mean I have leveled up as an Initiate of Time? Do I at some point become eligible for Cardinality?


The Initiates of Time do not have an organized hierarchy. You could ask them, but I doubt it's worth knowing their lame opinions. Try being a Timewaiter.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

I suspect that we have actually achieved DBZ speed
1298 and counting

User avatar
cari.j.elliot
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cari.j.elliot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:I have a sig! Does this mean I have leveled up as an Initiate of Time? Do I at some point become eligible for Cardinality?


The Initiates of Time do not have an organized hierarchy. You could ask them, but I doubt it's worth knowing their lame opinions. Try being a Timewaiter.


Sorry, I think I had to visit the Outside when Timewaiters became the accepted term, so my mind still fills in the blank with Initiate!
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:I have a sig! Does this mean I have leveled up as an Initiate of Time? Do I at some point become eligible for Cardinality?


The Initiates of Time do not have an organized hierarchy. You could ask them, but I doubt it's worth knowing their lame opinions. Try being a Timewaiter.


Sorry, I think I had to visit the Outside when Timewaiters became the accepted term, so my mind still fills in the blank with Initiate!


You can be initiated into the Time Waiters. Close enough :D

EDIT...
Holy scriptures:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Religion
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eternal Density and 75 guests