1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dreiarmumig

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dreiarmumig » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:well this is awkward

Awkward schmawkward.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 am UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Image
Ugh.. I'm off to coma.

As am I, but after the next round of coma and work outsider nonsense, there will be another glorious period of 48 TimeFrames when no-one can stop me devoting my full time to the worship of Time.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:16 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:The comic really has become incredibly boring. At this point I only check about twice a day and still nothing much has changed. Ugh, can it please be over? I know I'm gonna look it up every day even if it continues until forever, and I don't want to do that!

In complete honesty, (no false intensity here) I have come to quite enjoy reading the conversations and meandering discussion which accompany the comic, not to mention the comic itself (which, while slow, provides and insightful backdrop to the day-to-day routine which I follow on the Outside, between reading this thread)

Indeed, there are two experiences relevent to the One True Comic. The first is The Comic itself, the second is The Thread. Neither alone can tell the complete story. Although information passes only from the former to the latter1, each is integral to the other.

1You can try it if you like but you'd far better not'a.

There are at least three. Running through the sequence in The Book of Aubron (forwards or backwards) is an experience in itself.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:31 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Is Cueball playing for time or just that bad on Actual Sized Sand Castle Engineering?

Having to undo and rebuild some work is ... ehr ... not unheared of. But Cueboll and Megan had a plan. At least I suspected ...
    <snip>
  • Is there a Plan (with capital "P")?

Oh, crap. Cueball & Megan are toasters?!?

"The sandcastles were created by man, and woman, and they're both stickfigures, and they have a plan.. but it's not a particularly good plan.. as revealed by a direct to dvd pseudo prequel.. about sandcastles."
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:42 am UTC

AionArap wrote:
udscbt wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, so I think that the final culmination of The One True Comic (if there is one) MUST involve something specifically about either Time or Waiting. Also, I think we will have another zoom-out, and then maybe another few after that. Eventually it will be the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy, the universe.

The castle-building is a metaphor for human existence in general, and the eventual zooming out will put both Humanity and Time in perspective -- maybe something going all the way back to the Big Bong Theory.

Side note: My hats are not evil. Not a one. And if there ever WAS an evil one, it was Borgias-2, and it was ... ahem, BURNED by mean horrible people.

And I TOLD you, I am no longer possessed, nor am I crazy, nor am I evil. so THBBBT!

Ermmmm .... except for the sandwich thing. That was unexpected.

Signed,
buffygirl, She who Rises From The Flames Like A Phoenix To Continue With Her Pursuit of Hat Perfection.

Arch-Cardinal, if you're referring to my Faith FAQ, I only meant that you have been possessed by the Hat, not that you're still possessed (neither I'm saying you aren't)

EDIT: Image
EDIT2: ninja'd... maybe... I don't really know since we both posted it at the same outsider time

Hey, posting a Newpix as an edit to a pre-DONG post is cheating :evil:

That's nothing, I actually posted that exact panel a good week before Randell even drew it! (see p.63 for reference :wink: )

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 am UTC

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:10 am UTC

He finished it! :D
Hopefully it doesn't get destroyed.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:21 am UTC

chem1190c wrote:Image

It's even got the tiny little flag on the right one! :D I wonder what that flag's made of? :?:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 am UTC

Infinite recursion. A logical place to end. We'll see if he does...
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 am UTC

I think he was tired of us criticizing his sand castle skills.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:37 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Smithers wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:The comic really has become incredibly boring. At this point I only check about twice a day and still nothing much has changed. Ugh, can it please be over? I know I'm gonna look it up every day even if it continues until forever, and I don't want to do that!

In complete honesty, (no false intensity here) I have come to quite enjoy reading the conversations and meandering discussion which accompany the comic, not to mention the comic itself (which, while slow, provides and insightful backdrop to the day-to-day routine which I follow on the Outside, between reading this thread)

Indeed, there are two experiences relevent to the One True Comic. The first is The Comic itself, the second is The Thread. Neither alone can tell the complete story. Although information passes only from the former to the latter1, each is integral to the other.

1You can try it if you like but you'd far better not'a.

There are at least three. Running through the sequence in The Book of Aubron (forwards or backwards) is an experience in itself.

I'm glad someone mentioned this. It's become another addition to my round-of-daily-internetting. During the beginning days I needed an internetervention because of this entire triple-experience. I don't know about you, but every day I open the Book of Aubron, I quickly hit the back arrow a few times to see the LPs I missed... then un-pause and start it from the beginning, hitting the 'faster' button as quickly as I can to watch the whole sequence for the 100th time - new frames included.

... then I get irritated that this damn Mound continues, and immediately head for the One True Thread. Are we all sharing identical Time-experience? Perhaps we all need interneterventions Timerventions.

edit: Because, you know.. capitals.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:49 am UTC

Megan is completing the sandcastle complex that has this in a pool as the roof of the center castle.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Just a pre-coma check-in and it's awesome to see the slow, boring mound o'nothin' has become like a node in a Mandlebrot set of sand*. I wonder if there's a tiny Cueball on top one level down?

*Or caffinatedcoffeeicebabymud.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

tastony

Postby tastony » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Does it seem that Cueball/Randall has just broken through the fourth wall and is staring at all of on this forum as if to say, "There, are you happy now?"
I waited.

ubscdt

Postby ubscdt » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 am UTC

since it was my first post, it was well-buried before being approved by a moderator -- & since this is only my second post, i can't link to it or quote properly.

but!

i repeat it here for a chance of being seen.

> bigcrag92 wrote:
>> not at all. we have two cardinals. if someone creates a user account with ubscdt then they will be automatically be a cardinal. its an incentive to encourage lurkers to register...

> i've always wanted to be a religious figure.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Has it changed at all?

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:27 am UTC

you were right the first time...barely changed
Last edited by spamjam on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:28 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
Spoiler:

Has it changed at all?

I think he has turned, and is now looking toward (at?) us.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Megan!

Some Ways to Time

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Where's the trebuchet? :?:

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

mexaboy

Postby mexaboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:11 am UTC

I think this period name should be changed from The Architect Age to Castleception.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:14 am UTC

SBN wrote:Image
Megan!

Note that I don't see an itty bitty Megan on the castle next to full-size Cueball, so the model is as yet imperfect.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Megan!

Note that I don't see an itty bitty Megan on the castle next to full-size Cueball, so the model is as yet imperfect.

You sure? I think I see a little dot on the left there...

I wonder how he got those tiny sand castles to stick together so well. Sand is really hard to work with at that small of a scale.

Which can only mean IT'S NOT SAND (again). DUN DUN DUUUUUN.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:39 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Megan!

You sure? I think I see a little dot on the left there...

I wonder how he got those tiny sand castles to stick together so well. Sand is really hard to work with at that small of a scale.

Which can only mean IT'S NOT SAND (again). DUN DUN DUUUUUN.

You're almost at your 100th post.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

josiahstevenson

Postby josiahstevenson » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:46 am UTC

Been lurking since page three or so, through the madness and all. Almost wrote something like "NFW I'm reading eighty-seven pages" back when that was all there were.

Anyway, I like the self-reference on the middle tower. First thing that's happened (to the actual True Comic, or whatever you call it) in three days, it seems like.

The religion stuff has been interesting to watch, though, and I feel like that was/is more of the point of the Comic in the first place.

I wonder if it'll go to one Newpix per two Outside hours this next week, and then three or four hours the week after that. I'm sure there's been plenty of speculation on that point in some of the 200+ pages of this needle-pulled thing I'll never get to, though.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:54 am UTC

ubscdt wrote:since it was my first post, it was well-buried before being approved by a moderator -- & since this is only my second post, i can't link to it or quote properly.

but!

> bigcrag92 wrote:
>> not at all. we have two cardinals. if someone creates a user account with ubscdt then they will be automatically be a cardinal. its an incentive to encourage lurkers to register...

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I presume that we should be nominating you for Cardinal?

Though I'm not entirely sure exactly how that process works... doesn't a Cardinal need to do that? (As an aside, would I qualify for Cardinalhood? Is that even something I really want?)
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:56 am UTC

josiahstevenson wrote:Been lurking since page three or so, through the madness and all. Almost wrote something like "NFW I'm reading eighty-seven pages" back when that was all there were.

Anyway, I like the self-reference on the middle tower. First thing that's happened (to the actual True Comic, or whatever you call it) in three days, it seems like.

The religion stuff has been interesting to watch, though, and I feel like that was/is more of the point of the Comic in the first place.

I wonder if it'll go to one Newpix per two Outside hours this next week, and then three or four hours the week after that. I'm sure there's been plenty of speculation on that point in some of the 200+ pages of this needle-pulled thing I'll never get to, though.

Surely you could get through the full 239 NewPages of the One True needle-pulled thing, if you were truly devoted enough.

Most of it was at least moderately amusing... though I think much of that may have be-did lost in the madness, somewhere.

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:59 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:
ubscdt wrote:since it was my first post, it was well-buried before being approved by a moderator -- & since this is only my second post, i can't link to it or quote properly.

but!

> bigcrag92 wrote:

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I presume that we should be nominating you for Cardinal?

Though I'm not entirely sure exactly how that process works... doesn't a Cardinal need to do that? (As an aside, would I qualify for Cardinalhood? Is that even something I really want?)

bigcrag92 said that ubscdt would automatically become a cardinal, but doesn't that need Papal confirmation?

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 am UTC

I think he's presenting his miniature sand castle model.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

josiahstevenson

Postby josiahstevenson » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:07 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:
josiahstevenson wrote:Been lurking since page three or so, through the madness and all. Almost wrote something like "NFW I'm reading eighty-seven pages" back when that was all there were.

Surely you could get through the full 239 NewPages of the One True needle-pulled thing, if you were truly devoted enough.

Most of it was at least moderately amusing... though I think much of that may have be-did lost in the madness, somewhere.

I could, if I were truly devoted enough. I probably have read twenty or thirty of the pages, scattered throughout the thread. Quite amusing. Maybe I'll come back and read it all when my comps are over in June.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:13 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:I think he's presenting his miniature sand castle model.

Oh no, not the presenting again?

Personally, I look at it and hear in my head, "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Added: Of course, the rest of the poem would fit very well with the theme of the comic, and the possible medium that Megan and Cueball might be working with.
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:14 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
macraw83 wrote:

but!

> bigcrag92 wrote:

bigcrag92 said that ubscdt would automatically become a cardinal, but doesn't that need Papal confirmation?

This is what I was remembering, just slightly incorrectly.

Where is Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Helper when you need him?

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:15 am UTC

At least it's a presentation without PowerPoint.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 am UTC

josiahstevenson wrote:
macraw83 wrote:

I could, if I were truly devoted enough. I probably have read twenty or thirty of the pages, scattered throughout the thread. Quite amusing. Maybe I'll come back and read it all when my comps are over in June.

I am caught up from about 196 onwards. I think in the future I might read from the beginning to where I started.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Coincidentally, just seen on Facebook:
atheists-silly-hat.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen that one before, and certainly heard the sentiment. But it's oh-so-much-more poignant now. :D
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 am UTC

htom wrote:Maybe Megan's been off making tiny flags, and Cueball and Megan dolls.

And a forum and versions of us with tiny squeaky voices
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

htom

Postby htom » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:31 am UTC

Gotta be de-coma by 0600 CDT, so Zzzzzz.

Exodies --- mini-forum, I like it.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
htom wrote:Maybe Megan's been off making tiny flags, and Cueball and Megan dolls.

But would the miniaturized version of the forum still have a 240-page topic devoted to Time? Or does the thread length get shrunk too? Or merely the fontsize/voice strength? Oh, the questions...
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:56 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
Exodies wrote:

But would the miniaturized version of the forum still have a 240-page topic devoted to Time? Or does the thread length get shrunk too? Or merely the fontsize/voice strength? Oh, the questions...

If you think that's bad, consider that the forum will also contain multiple copies of The Comic. Matryoshka limit, indeed!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:57 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
higgs-boson (in his/her sig) wrote:Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers

Hang on a minute. The historical record as revealed by the One True Thread clearly shows that His (or her) (arse-)holiness Pope Helper the zeroth appointed you Apostolic Vistitator and owing to papal infallibility this must stand. I beseech you to change your sig accordingly, lest you be burned as a heretic.
[Edit: pronouns]
[Edit2: I used the Outsider unit "minute". I meant "Hang on a centilongpix" (roughly speaking). Mea maxima culpa.]

Simon says "Apostolic Visitator" is the correct title.

Now, is there any more popish-business I need to tend to?
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”