1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ThinkerEmeritus

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ThinkerEmeritus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

ThinkerEmeritus wrote:Check out "Building Castles in the Sand" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV4fQyW8gcU.

This is a 2006 song. A copy of the lyrics are at http://artists.letssingit.com/the-philo ... z2PalGYwkN. The picture in the earlier reference and the lyrics to the song are rather similar to what is going on here. Any connection?
"An expert is a person who has already made all possible mistakes." -- paraphrase of a statement by Niels Bohr
Seen on a bumper sticker: "My other vehicle is a Krebs cycle".

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Foarm wrote:
orthogon wrote:[...]There's this train line from London that goes from third-rail to overhead electrification somewhere along the way. At that point there are signs for the drivers saying "pants up" and "pants down". I would try to find a picture but I fear the Google search is NSFW!

This is the closest I could find:
http://www.railsigns.co.uk/sect18page1/18_18.gif and http://www.railsigns.co.uk/sect18page1/18_19.gif

Hmm, doesn't look like you're allowed to link to the gifs directly (what http witchcraft is this?!), but they're on this page.
[Huh... they look fine in the preview of your quote. Let's see what happens when I submit...]

In Japanese the imperative is based on the gerund/present participle anyway: 待って=matte=waiting and 待ってください=matte kudasai=wait (please). I have the feeling there are other languages that form the imperative like that ("waiting, please").
I firmly expect to be ninja'd (忍者).

[Edit:] Foarm's gifs look fine now. Don't know what was going on there. I must confess that actually the ones I saw said "pant up" and "pant down", and I applied artistic licence. But I'm sure it was "pant" and not "pan".

I don't know what it is, maybe it has something to do with the new FireFox 20, but whenever those images are in a post, it's completely borked for me; it just gobbles up more and more memory, and ALL the cycles, and I see an interminable "Waiting for www.railsigns.co.uk... Could you maybe both change those IMG tags to URLs, and we can see if that helps? (Writing this has been a total pain; probably took 5-10 mnutes.)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
ubscdt wrote:
Helper wrote:Alright:
Simon says I doth rasterize the declaration that ubscdt art now Cardinal ubscdt of Peanut Butter and Jelly. And so it was.

woo!

You realise that, since BuffyGirl proposed udscbt, you've been confirmed and rasterized without ever being nominated...

does that mean it's some sort of immaculate confirmation?

papal fiat?

Or just legal trickery that cannot possibly come back to bite us in the arse before we're done?

Why does the pope-mobile have to be a fiat?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
ubscdt wrote:
Simon says I doth rasterize the declaration that ubscdt art now Cardinal ubscdt of Peanut Butter and Jelly. And so it was.

woo!

You realise that, since BuffyGirl proposed udscbt, you've been confirmed and rasterized without ever being nominated...

papal fiat?

Or just legal trickery that cannot possibly come back to bite us in the arse before we're done?

Do you really want to give Helper a Porsche?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Foarm wrote:
orthogon wrote:[...]There's this train line from London that goes from third-rail to overhead electrification somewhere along the way. At that point there are signs for the drivers saying "pants up" and "pants down". I would try to find a picture but I fear the Google search is NSFW!

http://www.railsigns.co.uk/sect18page1/18_18.gif and http://www.railsigns.co.uk/sect18page1/18_19.gif

Hmm, doesn't look like you're allowed to link to the gifs directly (what http witchcraft is this?!), but they're on this page.
[Huh... they look fine in the preview of your quote. Let's see what happens when I submit...]

In Japanese the imperative is based on the gerund/present participle anyway: 待って=matte=waiting and 待ってください=matte kudasai=wait (please). I have the feeling there are other languages that form the imperative like that ("waiting, please").

[Edit:] Foarm's gifs look fine now. Don't know what was going on there. I must confess that actually the ones I saw said "pant up" and "pant down", and I applied artistic licence. But I'm sure it was "pant" and not "pan".

I don't know what it is, maybe it has something to do with the new FireFox 20, but whenever those images are in a post, it's completely borked for me; it just gobbles up more and more memory, and ALL the cycles, and I see an interminable "Waiting for http://www.railsigns.co.uk... Could you maybe both change those IMG tags to URLs, and we can see if that helps? (Writing this has been a total pain; probably took 5-10 mnutes.)

Thank you thank you thank you. I found out what it was, in part; sending a request for the image with an arbitrary Referer gets you a redirect to http://www.railsigns.co.uk/images/donothotlink.gif, presumably to tell you not to hotlink their images, but that then redirects to http://www.railsigns.co.uk/images/donothotlink.gif, and, well, we were just talking about recursion loops, weren't we? :P Still, FireFox ought to handle such problems more gracefully; I know I've seen messages about it stopping such loops before.

Added: For good measure, for the time being, it now has a special place in my hosts file. :P
Last edited by KarMann on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
ubscdt wrote:

woo!

papal fiat?

I think we need somthing in between. how about a BMW?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
pitareio wrote:
GerardE wrote:While we are waiting:
Dutch: wachten
German: warten
French: attendre
any more languages here?

Spanish: esperar. Interestingly, this verb also means "to hope".

technically, that's the infinitive form (to wait), to get the present participle (waiting) you'd change it to esperando

</grammarnazi>

Well, that's the infinitive form in French too. And in dutch and german, I think it is, but I don't know much about these two.

Just to confirm that, yes, those are the respective infinitive forms in Dutch and German.

Some more boring old grammarnaziing:
KarMann wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:Italian: aspettando

That's another gerundive form, there. Italian infinitive, to match the rest, is aspettare. Comes from the aforementioned Latin word in my sig, of course.

Technically, aspettare comes from Latin aspectare, not expectare, while both of course have the same root (spectare).

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
ubscdt wrote:

woo!

papal fiat?

i think something more suited to XKCD is in order

The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
ubscdt wrote:

woo!

papal fiat?

i think something more suited to XKCD is in order

yea I can see our pope in that.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:
pitareio wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
pitareio wrote:
any more languages here?

technically, that's the infinitive form (to wait), to get the present participle (waiting) you'd change it to esperando

</grammarnazi>

Well, that's the infinitive form in French too. And in dutch and german, I think it is, but I don't know much about these two.

Just to confirm that, yes, those are the respective infinitive forms in Dutch and German.

Some more boring old grammarnaziing:
KarMann wrote:

That's another gerundive form, there. Italian infinitive, to match the rest, is aspettare. Comes from the aforementioned Latin word in my sig, of course.

Technically, aspettare comes from Latin aspectare, not expectare, while both of course have the same root (spectare).

In the Frisian language 'Wachtsje' is also the infinitive form.
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Some more boring old grammarnaziing:
KarMann wrote:

Ah, I don't know the Latin -> Italian shifts well yet, so I thought maybe "ex-" -> "as-" had happened, kind of like "sp-" -> "esp-" in Spanish and "sp-" -> "ep-" in French had happened. I'm still working on it.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

What's he up to now?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
SBN wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:
thegreger wrote:
pitareio wrote:
any more languages here?

Just to Scandify this up a bit:
Swedish: väntar
Danish: venter

Italian: aspettando

If my husband was a Timewaiter, instead of a Timewaiter-eye-roller-at, he'd chime in with
Canadian: waiting, eh?

Scots: hawd on. or wyte

Japanese: matte [待って]
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

The Moo Prophet

Postby The Moo Prophet » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Image
What's he up to now?

Adjusting the sea level?

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

What's he up to now?

I wonder if it's significant that it looks like he's working on the part of the model that corresponds to where he was just sitting a couple of NewPices ago?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
KarMann wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Foarm wrote:

I don't know what it is, maybe it has something to do with the new FireFox 20, but whenever those images are in a post, it's completely borked for me; it just gobbles up more and more memory, and ALL the cycles, and I see an interminable "Waiting for http://www.railsigns.co.uk... Could you maybe both change those IMG tags to URLs, and we can see if that helps? (Writing this has been a total pain; probably took 5-10 mnutes.)

Thank you thank you thank you. I found out what it was, in part; sending a request for the image with an arbitrary Referer gets you a redirect to http://www.railsigns.co.uk/images/donothotlink.gif, presumably to tell you not to hotlink their images, but that then redirects to http://www.railsigns.co.uk/images/donothotlink.gif, and, well, we were just talking about recursion loops, weren't we? :P Still, FireFox ought to handle such problems more gracefully; I know I've seen messages about it stopping such loops before.

Added: For good measure, for the time being, it now has a special place in my hosts file. :P

Sorry KarMann. Luckily you have a solution to the problem, but I still changed the images to url's for the convenience of other timewaiters.
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past..... Schizoblitz: 100/2586 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Quest progress: 126 out of 243 pages.
Operation Connect Castle. NP 201.

I have lost track of the newpix I have spent traversing the thread of Time. Newpages flow into newpages, an endless pouring of semen-laced coffee into a glass that will not fill. I exist in a world of perpetual deja vu, for I have seen the present while the posts I read codify a long-ago past. I know Megan will return, in Time. With a trebuchet. Yet the posts I read have not witnessed that epoch, and whisper only of trebuchets in their dreams. Beyond this only lies madness. Perhaps I am already mad.

Either way, it is now time for me to conclude this message-in-a-bottle and proceed deeper into this hopelessly tangled thread.

But why do I suddenly crave pancakes?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
What's he up to now?

I wonder if it's significant that it looks like he's working on the part of the model that corresponds to where he was just sitting a couple of NewPices ago?

I think what we have to take from this is that there is no more castle outside the frame, unless the entire thing is sitting on top of another castle in an expanding fractal.

WHich I find unlikely, but not impossible, if the sand is made of semencancerbabies, while the sea is made of semencaffeinecancer.
“have i gone mad?

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 126 out of 243 pages.
Operation Connect Castle. NP 201.

I have lost track of the newpix I have spent traversing the thread of Time. Newpages flow into newpages, an endless pouring of semen-laced coffee into a glass that will not fill. I exist in a world of perpetual deja vu, for I have seen the present while the posts I read codify a long-ago past. I know Megan will return, in Time. With a trebuchet. Yet the posts I read have not witnessed that epoch, and whisper only of trebuchets in their dreams. Beyond this only lies madness. Perhaps I am already mad.

Either way, it is now time for me to conclude this message-in-a-bottle and proceed deeper into this hopelessly tangled thread.

But why do I suddenly crave pancakes?

BTW, my previous avatar rather likes your current avatar:
journal_3-crop-hat.png
journal_3-crop-hat.png (3.89 KiB) Viewed 9259 times

8-)
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Does Randall have spies?

Yes.
1298 and counting

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
speising wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Image
DONG

this is actually an important frame: i think he retracted his leg because the tide was lapping his toes!

Look at what he built on top of the sandcastle....it's the same image as the frame. He recreated the entire frame on the sandcastle's plateau, which in turn recreates the entire frame on its plateau, ad infinitum!Time is a Droste Effect! :shock:

There are little dots on top of Cueball's model of the full-size castles that look suspiciously like a third level of sandcastle recursion. He's good.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
What's he up to now?

I think what we have to take from this is that there is no more castle outside the frame, unless the entire thing is sitting on top of another castle in an expanding fractal.

WHich I find unlikely, but not impossible, if the sand is made of semencancerbabies, while the sea is made of semencaffeinecancer.

It's a Droste Effect (no one seemed to notice I mentioned this last frame :( ). I think he's adding himself into the effect.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
speising wrote:
DONG

this is actually an important frame: i think he retracted his leg because the tide was lapping his toes!

Look at what he built on top of the sandcastle....it's the same image as the frame. He recreated the entire frame on the sandcastle's plateau, which in turn recreates the entire frame on its plateau, ad infinitum!Time is a Droste Effect! :shock:

There are little dots on top of Cueball's model of the full-size castles that look suspiciously like a third level of sandcastle recursion. He's good.

I stand corrected :)

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Nice to see the jibberish converter has stopped. I'm a little sad about the religion bit is turning into a club, but if I was involved I'd probably be excited about it.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
speising wrote:
DONG

It's a multi-level recursion. Randall is the Creator of Time. Cueball has created Time on top of his sandcastle, thus making him the Creator of Time. And if he's adding himself to his creation, adding to the Droste effect, well then, we're down a very deep rabbit hole.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
speising wrote:
DONG

It's a multi-level recursion. Randall is the Creator of Time. Cueball has created Time on top of his sandcastle, thus making him the Creator of Time. And if he's adding himself to his creation, adding to the Droste effect, well then, we're down a very deep rabbit hole.

It's an allegory to the cyclic nature of Time and the thread. Common themes keep re-occuring, and so does the scale model of the sandcastle itself.

I think he's trying to make a scale model of himself sitting on the beach.
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:It's an allegoryto the cyclic nature of Time and the thread. Common themes keep re-occuring, and so does the scale model of the sandcastle itself.

I think he's trying to make a scale model of himself sitting on the beach.

With that, I vote we dub a new period. The allegory period. When time became a metaphor for itself and its followers.

Wait for it...
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
KarMann wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

What's he up to now?

It's a Droste Effect (no one seemed to notice I mentioned this last frame :( ). I think he's adding himself into the effect.

If it makes you feel better, I totally noticed, but didn't know the term, and was going to get around to looking it up. Now that I see what it is, I'm happy to; witness one of the first pictures I ever took when I got my new smartphone with the front-facing camera:
mirror-phone-scale.jpg
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

latigid on

Postby latigid on » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

ENHANCE
Attachments
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg (7.54 KiB) Viewed 9166 times

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

CasualSax wrote:Nice to see the jibberish converter has stopped. I'm a little sad about the religion bit is turning into a club, but if I was involved I'd probably be excited about it.

Invitation Extended
1298 and counting

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

CasualSax wrote:Nice to see the jibberish converter has stopped. I'm a little sad about the religion bit is turning into a club, but if I was involved I'd probably be excited about it.

Well, we didn't mean to beat you over the head with it, exactly.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

kryton wrote:

Invitation Extended

At first glance our religion discourages CasualSax. But it appears to be a misunderstanding. We now invite it.

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:Some more boring old grammarnaziing:
KarMann wrote:

Ah, I don't know the Latin -> Italian shifts well yet, so I thought maybe "ex-" -> "as-" had happened, kind of like "sp-" -> "esp-" in Spanish and "sp-" -> "ep-" in French had happened. I'm still working on it.

In German
er- erwarten (expect)
ab- abwarten (await)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
kryton wrote:

Invitation Extended

At first glance our religion discourages CasualSax. But it appears to be a misunderstanding. We now invite it.

Saxaphones should never be casual.
“have i gone mad?

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

latigid on wrote:ENHANCE

He's widening the top...
1298 and counting

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
kryton wrote:

Invitation Extended

Saxaphones, similar to phone sax.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
kryton wrote:

Invitation Extended

Saxaphones, similar to phone sax.
I'm not saying people should be prohibited from the use of saxaphones, or that all saxaphone interplay should be live, or in person. Or even that having a jamming session with someone you don't know is wrong. just that saxaphones should never be casual.
“have i gone mad?

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Is he now working on the model of the model of the original sandcastle?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

I just want to say I'm shocked by Mr Moriarty's signature: granite with port? Port goes better with sedimentary rock - limestone or possibly a light sandstone. If you want something harder, try marble...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

Is he now working on the model of the model of the original sandcastle?

He's poking at his miniature self!

Didn't something like this happen over in Schlock Mercenary recently? That didn't end well.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”