1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:03 am UTC

They keep walking up to the water.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:04 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:I'm back!

EDIT: P.S. I think the mini tree-bucket is just about the cutest thing ever. Next to my bunny with a hat, that is!

Image

we missed you.

well I didn't because i wasn't here, but i'm sure everyone else did. Right guys?

can't believe i missed the tiny trebuchét

Well, the only reason I missed her is because I'm still trying to get the hang of operating this tiny trebuchet.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
Smithers wrote:She returns again; does she carry a tiny trebuchet to assault the castle-top castle?


What do you think she'd fire from the tiny trebuchet?! M&M's? BB pellets?


I'll ask again - since Smithers TOTALLY called the tiny trebuchet when her arm was out of the frame - What tiny thing do you think she fired out of it?! Semenated coffee beans?? *ducks*
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:09 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:

Doesn't work for me?

Ah, the site seems to be temporarily down. Wait for it and its its.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1848
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Megan's over by the water again, which is looking quite high. They better shore up that sand castle, quick.
Image

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Smithers wrote:She returns again; does she carry a tiny trebuchet to assault the castle-top castle?


What do you think she'd fire from the tiny trebuchet?! M&M's? BB pellets?


I'll ask again - since Smithers TOTALLY called the tiny trebuchet when her arm was out of the frame - What tiny thing do you think she fired out of it?! Semenated coffee beans?? *ducks*

gravel sized nukes
Last edited by bigcrag92 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Can someone show the green pix difference in the water level since the Great Expansion up until this frame?
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Helper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:18 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Smithers wrote:She returns again; does she carry a tiny trebuchet to assault the castle-top castle?


What do you think she'd fire from the tiny trebuchet?! M&M's? BB pellets?


I'll ask again - since Smithers TOTALLY called the tiny trebuchet when her arm was out of the frame - What tiny thing do you think she fired out of it?! Semenated coffee beans?? *ducks*

gravel siezed nukes

I read that as 'gravel sized ducks'.
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.


NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Helper wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Smithers wrote:She returns again; does she carry a tiny trebuchet to assault the castle-top castle?


What do you think she'd fire from the tiny trebuchet?! M&M's? BB pellets?


I'll ask again - since Smithers TOTALLY called the tiny trebuchet when her arm was out of the frame - What tiny thing do you think she fired out of it?! Semenated coffee beans?? *ducks*

gravel siezed nukes

I read that as 'gravel sized ducks'.

Much better idea
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1848
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:22 am UTC

azule wrote:Can someone show the green pix difference in the water level since the Great Expansion up until this frame?

Image

Sideways pan aside, it's quite a bit higher now. That being said, nothing else much has changed except the middle castle.
Image

User avatar
Shepherdess
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:22 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:I think if someone gave me a tiny trebuchet for my tiny sandcastle, I would marry them on the spot.


Of course, if the water keeps rising, you may need scuba gear to marry them on that spot.


Underwater weddings are so romantic...*sigh*

SuperCow wrote:Is anyone else anticipating the surprise ending where we find out that...

Spoiler:
The Megan and Cueball we've been watching all this time are actually miniaturized people who are building their sandcastle on top of an actual (larger) sandcastle that looks just like it.


?

Spoiler:
It's sandcastles all the way down.


Holy crap, I think that's the revelation I had earlier!

AionArap wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Image
Whooaa!1


Wow, did not expect a screamer at this point in Time.
The most adorable screamer ever of course, but still...


Oh good. Glad to know I'm not the only one who screamed.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 am UTC

htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:It's is the contraction of "It is".
Its is the possessive of it.

Not if It is the name of a person. E.g.: "That is It's book" or "Who's that cursed hat?" "It's It's".


That is its book. You've written "That is it is book."

It's its. You've written "It is it is."

Sorry. It took me years and a good secretary to learn this.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html

edit -- messed up the quotes.


The apostrophe in it's is the i from is, all shriveled up. (I'm not sure why, but that line is the one that really made the distinction clear for me.)

And, I clearly picked the wrong three Newpix to be outside.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:26 am UTC

SBN wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:It's is the contraction of "It is".
Its is the possessive of it.

Not if It is the name of a person. E.g.: "That is It's book" or "Who's that cursed hat?" "It's It's".


That is its book. You've written "That is it is book."

It's its. You've written "It is it is."

Sorry. It took me years and a good secretary to learn this.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html

edit -- messed up the quotes.


The apostrophe in it's is the i from is, all shriveled up. (I'm not sure why, but that line is the one that really made the distinction clear for me.)

And, I clearly picked the wrong three Newpix to be outside.

what about when the apostrophe stands for ha?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am UTC

I can't believe I missed so much exiting events.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
azule wrote:Can someone show the green pix difference in the water level since the Great Expansion up until this frame?

Image

Sideways pan aside, it's quite a bit higher now. That being said, nothing else much has changed except the middle castle.

Thanks. Now make me a sandwich. :D (kidding)

Woah, the whole sloping shore is gone. I was wondering about that. I'm not sure we'll get a water based end but it's interesting nonetheless.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:30 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
SBN wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:It's is the contraction of "It is".
Its is the possessive of it.

Not if It is the name of a person. E.g.: "That is It's book" or "Who's that cursed hat?" "It's It's".


That is its book. You've written "That is it is book."

It's its. You've written "It is it is."

Sorry. It took me years and a good secretary to learn this.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html

edit -- messed up the quotes.


The apostrophe in it's is the i from is, all shriveled up. (I'm not sure why, but that line is the one that really made the distinction clear for me.)

And, I clearly picked the wrong three Newpix to be outside.

what about when the apostrophe stands for ha?


You either need to shrivel it more, or use a larger apostrophe.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

John W Kennedy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby John W Kennedy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:31 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I think I found a solution for the its/it's conundrum. Use "It be" and "their" (or one of the other gender-neutral alternatives)!
Its is, in fact, only a little over 400 years old. Before it was invented, his was used, instead, but people came to feel uncomfortable about that, and alternate forms such as it[sic] or hit began to replace his, or the problem was avoided altogether by such constructions as thereof. Its turns up in the late 1500s, but Shakespeare uses it only rarely, and (with one exception) only in his last few works. The original 1611 King James Bible doesn’t use its at all.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1848
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:34 am UTC

azule wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
azule wrote:Can someone show the green pix difference in the water level since the Great Expansion up until this frame?

Image

Sideways pan aside, it's quite a bit higher now. That being said, nothing else much has changed except the middle castle.

Thanks. Now make me a sandwich. :D (kidding)

Woah, the whole sloping shore is gone. I was wondering about that. I'm not sure we'll get a water based end but it's interesting nonetheless.


My pleasure.

Image

I'm afraid we're out of magic, though. Just the outline will have to suffice until I can go by the store to pick up some more.

Edit: My 99th post is a sandwich joke. I did not see myself here when I registered on the forums. But then, I crossed that line ages ago.
Image

arjan
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:48 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby arjan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 am UTC

I have missed many many newpix and don't think I will catch up tonight. But trying to pick up connoisseuring, here's what Queball made in 352: Image.

First he builds these two huge walls, then destroys them to build up a miniature version of the whole scene. Apart from an unfortunate incident, Queball is not known for doing something useless. Not only that, just before rebuilding he LOOKS AT US!, telling us: "remember this scene!"

Image.

Obviously, there must be huge walls just outside the view of the camera.

A further conclusion that could be drawn is that the River is not on the left or right, but may come towards us between those walls!

Any scholars who have an opinion on this matter?
Last edited by arjan on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:51 am UTC

Exploding capsules of nitro glycerine!
1298 and counting

User avatar
Shepherdess
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 am UTC

I had another revelation!

I missed the Madness by a few days, so I'm not quite sure what exactly it was, but...

"It's astounding/TIME is fleeting/MADNESS takes control..."
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 am UTC

Image
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:06 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
KarMann wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Davidy wrote:So now, any change has to be done twice.

... or possibly more, depending how many levels of recursion there are.

Then again, maybe he has built working models of himself and Megan, so when they makes a change, the models make the corresponding smaller change, and so on.

It's called a pantograph.

I totally used to have one of those and had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for evoking that childhood memory. It never worked very well, mind...

I don't think that would work in 3-D. Assuming, that is, that the world of Cueball is 3-D and not just Flatland.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

sandcastles
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby sandcastles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:09 am UTC

Please, Cardinals of the One True Comic, what does this mean?

Why haven't we had any revelations from our Duly Elected Pope Helper the First?

I feel so lost :(

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:09 am UTC

arjan wrote:I have missed many many newpix and don't think I will catch up tonight. But trying to pick up connoisseuring, here's what Queball made in 352: Image.

First he builds these two huge walls, then destroys them to build up a miniature version of the whole scene. Apart from an unfortunate incident, Queball is not known for doing something useless. Not only that, just before rebuilding he LOOKS AT US!, telling us: "remember this scene!"

Image.

Obviously, there must be huge walls just outside the view of the camera.

A further conclusion that could be drawn is that the River is not on the left or right, but may come towards us between those walls!

Any scholars who have an opinion on this matter?

Interesting theory. I like it.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:It's is the contraction of "It is".
Its is the possessive of it.

Not if It is the name of a person. E.g.: "That is It's book" or "Who's that cursed hat?" "It's It's".


That is its book. You've written "That is it is book."

It's its. You've written "It is it is."

Sorry. It took me years and a good secretary to learn this.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html

edit -- messed up the quotes.

Only when using it as a pronoun. When It is a proper noun (e.g. referring to the Psammead in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Children_and_It), the correct possesive is "It's".

Possessive pronouns using a final "s" don't use an apostrophe. Thus: his, hers, ours, yours, theirs and ITS.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Davidy wrote:Possessive pronouns using a final "s" don't use an apostrophe. Thus: his, hers, ours, yours, theirs and ITS.


min'e ?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:46 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
udscbt wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:It's is the contraction of "It is".
Its is the possessive of it.

Not if It is the name of a person. E.g.: "That is It's book" or "Who's that cursed hat?" "It's It's".

That is its book. You've written "That is it is book."
It's its. You've written "It is it is."
Sorry. It took me years and a good secretary to learn this.
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html
edit -- messed up the quotes.

No, they're* talking about someone like Cousin It, in which case, yeah, that would be It's book. About the cursed hat, though, did you mean "who is that cursed hat?", or "whose is that cursed hat?", i.e. "to whom does that cursed hat belong?"
Any way you slice it, though, it's still me** and mine.

* she, he, it, It, whatever
** properly I, I know, but who really says that?

Ok, that was actually wrong. I meant whose.

EDIT: and I think it's actually "it's still me", since the subject is "it" and not "me". On the other hand, I'm italian and they don't teach english too well here.

The predicate of a copula is in the nominative/subjective case in at least most languages, including English. But, in casually spoken English, we often use the accusative/objective case anyway.

And that produces abominations like, "Me and her went to the movies."
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

TheRic
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheRic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Elmach wrote:
edo wrote:
AionArap wrote:
KarMann wrote:Here's a zoom of the trebuchet action in the middle of the latest:
Image


I think we all share Cueballs sentiment right now \o/

EDIT: Img fix


I think the comic could end right there, and I'd be satisfied.


Arë thëy reënacting thë trébuchet battlë fröm eärliër?

Alsö, my ümlaüt keÿ ïs stück ön för somë stüpid reäson. Sorrÿ.


They can't be reenacting the battle from before, the battle from before did not have the large tower that is in the middle now. it was a small double arch, at that time.

Jellyfish-derp
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm UTC
Location: The sandcastle beach

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Jellyfish-derp » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:59 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:They keep walking up to the water.

They might be going swimming... Again
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2160
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:04 am UTC

He's toying with us
Image
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:08 am UTC

If she's firing a trebuchet at the miniature version of the overall scene, is there a missile on its way to their real world, fired by some larger version Megan?
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
orthogon wrote:
KarMann wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Davidy wrote:So now, any change has to be done twice.

... or possibly more, depending how many levels of recursion there are.

Then again, maybe he has built working models of himself and Megan, so when they makes a change, the models make the corresponding smaller change, and so on.

It's called a pantograph.

I totally used to have one of those and had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for evoking that childhood memory. It never worked very well, mind...

I don't think that would work in 3-D. Assuming, that is, that the world of Cueball is 3-D and not just Flatland.

Occam's razor would suggest Flatland. Why assume a third spatial dimension? (Time is a third dimension, of course, but not a relevant one.)

And more seriously, aside from that, if you RTFA, you'll see that it specifically mentions that there are 3-D pantographs that have long been used for reproducing sculptures, especially scaled-down ones.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Jellyfish-derp
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm UTC
Location: The sandcastle beach

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Jellyfish-derp » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 am UTC

azule wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
azule wrote:Can someone show the green pix difference in the water level since the Great Expansion up until this frame?

Image

Sideways pan aside, it's quite a bit higher now. That being said, nothing else much has changed except the middle castle.

Thanks. Now make me a sandwich. :D (kidding)

Woah, the whole sloping shore is gone. I was wondering about that. I'm not sure we'll get a water based end but it's interesting nonetheless.

Perhaps the castle is sliding down the slope, and the image is panning with it
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
KarMann wrote:
udscbt wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:It's is the contraction of "It is".
Its is the possessive of it.

Not if It is the name of a person. E.g.: "That is It's book" or "Who's that cursed hat?" "It's It's".

That is its book. You've written "That is it is book."
It's its. You've written "It is it is."
Sorry. It took me years and a good secretary to learn this.
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html
edit -- messed up the quotes.

No, they're* talking about someone like Cousin It, in which case, yeah, that would be It's book. About the cursed hat, though, did you mean "who is that cursed hat?", or "whose is that cursed hat?", i.e. "to whom does that cursed hat belong?"
Any way you slice it, though, it's still me** and mine.

* she, he, it, It, whatever
** properly I, I know, but who really says that?

Ok, that was actually wrong. I meant whose.

EDIT: and I think it's actually "it's still me", since the subject is "it" and not "me". On the other hand, I'm italian and they don't teach english too well here.

The predicate of a copula is in the nominative/subjective case in at least most languages, including English. But, in casually spoken English, we often use the accusative/objective case anyway.

And that produces abominations like, "Me and her went to the movies."

Get the stakes and kindling out, boys & girls.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:17 am UTC

If this were flatland they would have to go over the sandcastles, there would be no behind the castles.
1298 and counting

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:25 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Davidy wrote:
KarMann wrote:
udscbt wrote:
KarMann wrote:
htom wrote:
udscbt wrote:
htom wrote:It's is the contraction of "It is".
Its is the possessive of it.

Not if It is the name of a person. E.g.: "That is It's book" or "Who's that cursed hat?" "It's It's".

That is its book. You've written "That is it is book."
It's its. You've written "It is it is."
Sorry. It took me years and a good secretary to learn this.
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html
edit -- messed up the quotes.

No, they're* talking about someone like Cousin It, in which case, yeah, that would be It's book. About the cursed hat, though, did you mean "who is that cursed hat?", or "whose is that cursed hat?", i.e. "to whom does that cursed hat belong?"
Any way you slice it, though, it's still me** and mine.

* she, he, it, It, whatever
** properly I, I know, but who really says that?

Ok, that was actually wrong. I meant whose.

EDIT: and I think it's actually "it's still me", since the subject is "it" and not "me". On the other hand, I'm italian and they don't teach english too well here.

The predicate of a copula is in the nominative/subjective case in at least most languages, including English. But, in casually spoken English, we often use the accusative/objective case anyway.

And that produces abominations like, "Me and her went to the movies."

Get the stakes and kindling out, boys & girls.

And with that, time for me to coma. See you all tomorrow.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:32 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Davidy wrote:And that produces abominations like, "Me and her went to the movies."

Get the stakes and kindling out, boys & girls.

And with that, time for me to coma. See you all tomorrow.

You forgot to ask "will I dream?" first, or alternatively, sing Daisy, Daisy for us, of course.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1848
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:35 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Davidy wrote:And that produces abominations like, "Me and her went to the movies."

Get the stakes and kindling out, boys & girls.

And with that, time for me to coma. See you all tomorrow.

You forgot to ask "will I dream?" first, or alternatively, sing Daisy, Daisy for us, of course.

And what will happen?
Will I dream?
I am too scared to close my eyes.
For a second please hold me.
None can change in me these things that I believe.
But I don't know what happens now.
I am too scared to close my eyes.


Anyone? No? Guess I'm the only one here who listens to VNV nation...
Image

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Image
Uh oh....
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pkcommando and 48 guests