1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

descor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 am UTC

So I figured after 10000 posts I should probably de-lurk to congratulate you all on entertaining me for hours newpix!

Thank you all

Demki

Postby Demki » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 am UTC

We've got an amazing 0.3% of the forum's posts right here, all for The One Comic.

What's she looking at?

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 am UTC

ElWanderer wrote:Wonder if he's off to get a trebuchet, or check where the river is...

Because they cannot build anything larger, the Time of Destruction is upon us. He is getting the doomsday device. Smashing the sandcastles with a Maya Calender. Or an elephant. DOOMSDAY elephant.

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:25 am UTC

Demki wrote:We've got an amazing 0.3% of the forum's posts right here, all for The One Comic.

What's she looking at?

I bet she's thinking she can make it bigger.

BTW how are you able to find the exact link to the image?

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:27 am UTC

Demki wrote:We've got an amazing 0.3% of the forum's posts right here, all for The One Comic.

About 6,24% of the posts in the "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" section.

While Time represents about 0,08% of the comics posted on the site.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:35 am UTC

davidy22 wrote:So, the auto-updating GIF seems to be unavailable for me. Anyone got an up-to-date GIF of the thing?

The Book of Aubron: http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:41 am UTC

SBN wrote:
davidy22 wrote:So, the auto-updating GIF seems to be unavailable for me. Anyone got an up-to-date GIF of the thing?

I have really specific needs. I actually need a single file, not a bunch of images chained together with javascript magic. Unfortunate that Primis seems to be down.

Sheldon

Postby Sheldon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:51 am UTC

davidy22 wrote:I have really specific needs. I actually need a single file, not a bunch of images chained together with javascript magic. Unfortunate that Primis seems to be down.

So what you're asking for is a list of the image files?
Maybe in a nice convenient tabular format and perhaps kept (fairly) up to date?
...Have you tried the wiki? :)

As for specific needs, this thread is long enoughh to have covered most of them.

barometz

Postby barometz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:55 am UTC

*Kat* wrote:I bet she's thinking she can make it bigger.

Or smaller! I feel like this wouldn't be complete without at least one more iteration, although it's hard to tell whether there isn't already a third.

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:55 am UTC

Sheldon wrote:
davidy22 wrote:I have really specific needs. I actually need a single file, not a bunch of images chained together with javascript magic. Unfortunate that Primis seems to be down.

So what you're asking for is a list of the image files?
Maybe in a nice convenient tabular format and perhaps kept (fairly) up to date?
...Have you tried the wiki? :)

As for specific needs, this thread is long enoughh to have covered most of them.

Argleblargle

I'm looking for a single file that cycles through all the past frames. An animated GIF of all the images so far. I'm doing this for the wiki, so checking the wiki doesn't really help me much.

This thread did have an animated gif at http://primis.org/time/output.gif, but the website seems to be down now.

Sheldon

Postby Sheldon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

davidy22 wrote:I'm looking for a single file that cycles through all the past frames. An animated GIF of all the images so far. I'm doing this for the wiki, so checking the wiki doesn't really help me much.

Ah, my apologies for misunderstanding and providing circular references :)

davidy22 wrote:This thread did have an animated gif at http://primis.org/time/output.gif, but the website seems to be down now.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere earlier on this thread that the gif builder had died? (in the mid-late 100 pages? was it fixed after that?)

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

is it over? cueball is done it seems.

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Rosewinsall wrote:is it over? cueball is done it seems.

I wouldn't count on it ... we've been here before!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Sheldon wrote:
davidy22 wrote:I'm looking for a single file that cycles through all the past frames. An animated GIF of all the images so far. I'm doing this for the wiki, so checking the wiki doesn't really help me much.

Ah, my apologies for misunderstanding and providing circular references :)

davidy22 wrote:This thread did have an animated gif at http://primis.org/time/output.gif, but the website seems to be down now.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere earlier on this thread that the gif builder had died? (in the mid-late 100 pages? was it fixed after that?)

I don't know if there is another auto-updating one, I can create one as a one-off (but it will be out of date a TimeFrame later). Does 2 frames per second sound good?
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

mybrainhurts wrote:Is "grammar Nazi" perfectly legit English?

; - )

EDIT: Ha! Godwin's Law finally duly entered TIME, just before 10k!

I was going to posit a version stating that any sufficiently long xkcd forum thread is bound to end up discussing the spelling of "its" vs "it's".

Because of this comic, I am in danger of not finishing my book club book in time for the meeting. I'm currently at 32% with two days to go. Ironically, I've been telling people that I'm having trouble getting into it because it's a bit slow-moving.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

davidy22 wrote:
SBN wrote:

I have really specific needs. I actually need a single file, not a bunch of images chained together with javascript magic. Unfortunate that Primis seems to be down.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/File:Time_1-418.gif

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Has it been discussed that they are might actually be standing on top of a larger version of the two smaller iterations they have already built?

jolleychris

Postby jolleychris » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Fractal?

barometz

Postby barometz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

imagineddragon wrote:Has it been discussed that they are might actually be standing on top of a larger version of the two smaller iterations they have already built?

I imagine a lot of people have been thinking that, although it makes me wonder where they'd have storage space for that first trebuchet - or where they go off-screen, even. Can't just walk into an earlier iteration like that :/

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Well, each side would obviously be a drop off. So maybe they are climbing or have some kind of flying creature off screen that we can't see? Or a trampoline on either side? Or they carved the first iteration out of solid stone and carved in a ladder?

barometz

Postby barometz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Oh wait, I was still thinking of what we're seeing as the original iteration for these characters, with earlier ones having been built by, er, larger versions of themselves. I guess that could work, them building larger ones.

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Or maybe this whole thing is a thought experiment and RM is hoping to crowd source the solution to some quantum mechanic/quark problem. It seems that the entire analysis of this comic is relative to the problems encountered with observing sub atomic particles.

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 7.25.50 AM.png

saengerbeatle

Postby saengerbeatle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

i kinda don't want the castle to be destroyed, but the Comic has to lead somewhere.
A really nice ending would be if a wave would wipe the castle away and the two sit down and stare out to the water. so the last picture would sync up to the fisrt pic and the cycle would start anew.

It's interesting how this simple comic has become more real to me than my job (I'm on vacation right now) and even some actual people. I've copiet all the pictures and use them as a screensaver. Each pic stays for ten seconds then the next one shows up. Best screensaver I ever had.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

I think it's actually over. They're just walking out of frame now. They just said that they can't build it any higher. They're done.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

ubscdt

Postby ubscdt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I would most likely say "I do!", or possibly, yes, "me". In the latter case, the structure in mind is "[The person who wants ice cream is] me!"; "me" is the object of that proposition, not the subject. I am not predicating wanting-icecream of myself, as I do when I say "I do [want ice cream]". I am predicating myself as the identify of the person who wants ice cream.

there have been so many things posted while i was encomafied, but this is what i decided to respond to.

"me" is indeed the predicate of that sentence you've outlined; "the person who wants ice cream" is the subject, yes -- which makes "is me" the predicate.

Pfhorrest wrote:I supposed technically that should only be the answer to the question "Whom wants ice cream?", but nobody says that even if they meant it. And such subject-object agreement is probably why I'm more inclined to answer "I do" to a "Who" question instead of "me". Likewise in the third person: Who wants ice cream? He and they do, as do I. Whom wants ice cream? Him and them, and me.

you can't say "whom wants ice cream?" because that position in the sentence requires nominative case. the point is that you can -- &, in fact, native speakers do reply with "me!" (or any other accusative pronoun). you cannot reply with "i!" yes, of course you can reply with "i do!" -- because now it's got a verb around to licence its nominative case.

Davidy wrote:Back in the dark ages when I learned English in grade school (thank you Mr. Strunk and Mr. White), I was taught that when there are two (or more) persons taking an action, the correct pronouns can be quickly determined by eliminating one at a time to determine what the correct remaining pronoun should be. You wouldn't say, "Me went to the movies" or "Her went to the movies." Therefore, combining the two would also be incorrect. Also, the first person pronoun should always be placed last in combination with other pronouns. You would say, "She and I went to the movies" instead of "I and she..."

please don't bring poor mr. white into this. he's responsible for its popularity, but not its content.

you're right though -- that is a handy grammar school trick that is widely taught & used. when there's only one pronoun there though, things are a bit different in terms of case assignment because there are not extra layers of structure to support the conjunction.

someone pointed out that there are two standards that we are referencing -- this is a fair point. there's prescriptive rules & descriptive rules, which are quite different. since i am a linguist, i'm concerned with descriptive rules; you'll notice that my statements are filled with comments on what people do. prescriptive rules are the domain of english teachers & self-appointed grammar nazis -- filled with the word should, as yours were.

the prescriptive rule is that you should say "i!" in response to "who wants ice cream?"
the descriptive rules is that you do say "me!" in response to "who wants ice cream?"

it takes weeks of beating students over the head to unbrainwash them from years of prescriptive training when they first start taking linguistics courses. if it takes that much time & effort when i have an image of authority in my students' eyes, i am well aware that i won't change any internet minds with a few casual posts. i normally don't involve myself in these kinds of internet fights, but i was feeling feisty last night.

& as for this:
Davidy wrote:"Me and her went to the movies" is NOT "...perfectly legit [sic] english [sic]."

you can't shame with with [sic]'s. my anti-capitalism is a stylistic & political choice. so is my truncing of words, though 'legit' is certainly not a novel invention on my part.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Let's speculate how this is a sign of the relationship of Randall, his career, coffee and/or the purpose of life. And how the first letters of all the frames with dialogues in them spell a very disturbing word.

Lpaii. Such a disturbing word.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:I think it's actually over. They're just walking out of frame now. They just said that they can't build it any higher. They're done.

Done with the sandcastle? Perhaps. Now they go fishing. We will be analyzing every pixel to see if they caught a fish, or if there is grass growing.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:
Montov wrote:Let's speculate how this is a sign of the relationship of Randall, his career, coffee and/or the purpose of life. And how the first letters of all the frames with dialogues in them spell a very disturbing word.

It disturbed me so much, I rather not pronounce or write it.

htom

Postby htom » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

I usually answer the question "Who wants ice cream?" with "Yes, please!"
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

It disturbed me so much, I rather not pronounce or write it.

Or, for anyone who thinks "Wanna swim?" "Yeah!" counts as dialogue (and I don't know why you wouldn't):
Smithers wrote:
*Kat* wrote:

And what word would that be?

"LWPAII", apparently.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

htom wrote:I usually answer the question "Who wants ice cream?" with "Yes, please!"

As do me!

No? How about 'I too!'?

To be fair I never normally need asking - most people I know just assume I'll have ice cream if it's on offer.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
davidy22 wrote:
SBN wrote:

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/File:Time_1-418.gif

It's beautiful and I love it. It's now on the explainxkcd wiki.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:

Skim-reading that post, I totally assumed "Lpaii" was one of those Internet abbreviations, like LMAO, FTFY, inb4 etc. I think we should retrofit a meaning to it. But first we need to agree whether it's Lpaii or Lwpaii is correct.

[Edit]A superfluous one of those dratted it'ses crept in there. Either that or there's a that's missing.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

Psycix

Postby Psycix » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Zooming out to a giant-version will be impossible due to the water being there. Perhaps the sea level will rise up to the miniature version, after which the camera will zoom in, and start over.

I don't want this to end.

wneeley

Postby wneeley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Can someone post an updated gif of the comic?

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

So here we are again.
Watching the sands of time drain away.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

Skim-reading that post, I totally assumed "Lpaii" was one of those Internet abbreviations, like LMAO, FTFY, inb4 etc. I think we should retrofit a meaning to it. But first we need to agree whether it's Lpaii or Lwpaii is correct.

[Edit]A superfluous one of those dratted it'ses crept in there. Either that or there's a that's missing.

Laughing With Perspicacity About Its/It's?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:

Doesn't work for me?

It's working now.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”