1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:

Doesn't work for me?

It's working now.

sadly not quite worth the wait.
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

tastony

Postby tastony » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

So, does this mean that there is a trebuchet hidden just off to the left, presumably ready to fire?
I waited.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
Montov wrote:Let's speculate how this is a sign of the relationship of Randall, his career, coffee and/or the purpose of life. And how the first letters of all the frames with dialogues in them spell a very disturbing word.

Lpaii. Such a disturbing word.

Skim-reading that post, I totally assumed "Lpaii" was one of those Internet abbreviations, like LMAO, FTFY, inb4 etc. I think we should retrofit a meaning to it. But first we need to agree whether it's Lpaii or Lwpaii is correct.

[Edit]A superfluous one of those dratted it'ses crept in there. Either that or there's a that's missing.

Laughing With Perspicacity About Its/It's?

Nice, and has some relevance to the One True Thread. My suggestion is lwpaii = "laughing, weeing, pooing and injecting insulin". Descriptive of a state of uncontrolled hilarity induced at an inconvenient time in a sufferer of diabetes.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

Anyone else wondering if the next week will see a rise in the tide and a gradual crumbling of the castle? But then, there's still the river out there somewhere...
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
Montov wrote:Let's speculate how this is a sign of the relationship of Randall, his career, coffee and/or the purpose of life. And how the first letters of all the frames with dialogues in them spell a very disturbing word.

Skim-reading that post, I totally assumed "Lpaii" was one of those Internet abbreviations, like LMAO, FTFY, inb4 etc. I think we should retrofit a meaning to it. But first we need to agree whether it's Lpaii or Lwpaii is correct.

[Edit]A superfluous one of those dratted it'ses crept in there. Either that or there's a that's missing.

Nice, and has some relevance to the One True Thread. My suggestion is lwpaii = "laughing, weeing, pooing and injecting insulin". Descriptive of a state of uncontrolled hilarity induced at an inconvenient time in a sufferer of diabetes.

LWPAIIing with practically average intensity inside. (because recursion)
actually laughing with practically average intensity inside could be useful instead of lol

edit:spelling
Last edited by bigcrag92 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

Looked, waited, posted, and it's interminable.
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

I like this one - except for the Oxford comma.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

There exist people who disapprove of the Oxford Comma????????¿?¿?¿?

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Apologies for the double-post
The far left edge of the sand has a tiny, tiny slope upwards (present in both this one and the previous frame). I think this means that there's more to the sand castle than we see.

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:
descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

I can't be that rare surely? I think most British people shy away from the Oxford comma ... unless they went to Oxford of course.

EDIT: Did anything change?

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:
descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Looked, waited, posted, and it's interminable.

There do, and they're wrong :mrgreen:
I don't even know whether that is one or not. Then again I'm not convinced that RobIrr's was one either. Doesn't seem like "it's interminable" is part of the same list as "looked, waited, posted". To omit the comma would be to court the danger of syllepsis.

[Edit] it was getting a bit long.

Intrexa

Postby Intrexa » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Well, it's this thought that made me finally register. I think a strong case could be made this comic was made just so that Randall could get more people to register and get a stronger community, but I think this is actually an analogy or fable (I can't quite think of the correct word) on global warming. It's not the tide they're looking at. It's a grand scheme of global warming that's making the ocean rise. That's the point of it all I think, is that between any 2 points you can't notice a difference between the ocean level, but if you go back to the beginning, it's very clear. The sand castles are society, our houses, our stores, our ports, our everything, and we're going to watch them get washed away. This is (damn my 'just woke up' brain, still can't think of words) foreshadowing of what's going to happen at the current rate of the ocean rising on Earth. Meaghan saying "I don't understand what the ocean is doing" is all the people who doubt global warming causing the ocean to rise.

My 2 cents. Again, I just woke up, I could be way off, but I don't think I am.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

I don't even know whether that is one or not. Then again I'm not convinced that RobIrr's was one either. Doesn't seem like "it's interminable" is part of the same list as "looked, waited, posted". To omit the comma would be to court the danger of syllepsis.

I think technically it should be "Looked, waited, and posted, and it's interminable." Except for "Looked, waited, and posted" has no subject, so...

EDIT: I find it amusing that this most recent off-topic discussion has revolved around picking apart the grammar of forum posts. And suddenly I am ashamed of having participated... :oops:
Last edited by macraw83 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Looked, waited, posted, and it's interminable.

[Edit] it was getting a bit long.

Yours definitely wasn't an Oxford comma, and on re-reading RobIrr's you may be right about that as well.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

descor wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

I can't be that rare surely? I think most British people shy away from the Oxford comma ... unless they went to Oxford of course.

I'm British, didn't go to Oxford, and approve of the Oxford comma

Lord Cathbad wrote:

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

From what I can tell, no, nothing changed between the two frames.

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
descor wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

I'm British, didn't go to Oxford and approve of the Oxford comma

FTFY :twisted:

EDIT: although reading it back your comma was probably justified due to the ambiguity now.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

I'm British; I attended the University of Cambridge; I approve of the Oxford comma.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

descor wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
orthogon wrote:
boozledorf wrote:

[Looked, waited, posted,] is a list of what we have done. [it's interminable] is a descriptor of the comic. Could also be written "Looked, waited, posted; it's interminable." But that doesn't fit with the acronym.
Oxford comma rules!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I'm British; I attended the University of Cambridge; I approve of the Oxford comma.

Nice use of the semicolon; I approve :)

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Can I just add that I'm getting a burgeoning feeling of fridge brilliance about RobIrr's post. I particularly like the triple meaning of "It's" (the overall experience, the "It" for which we are commanded to wait, and the discussion if "it's" vs "its"). How would we feel about the substitution of a semicolon for the alleged (and subsequently partially de-alleged) Oxford comma? It seems to me that it would stretch out the pause, emphasizing the waiting and helping the overall rhythm.

Ah, I have been partially ninja'd by HAL9000, but my proposal is to keep the "and". Outrageous, I know.

gopher65

Postby gopher65 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

My understanding is that the serial comma is opposed primarily by the manuals of style put out by print publications with limited space. Newspapers, for instance, are largely against the use of serial commas due to their extreme space limitations. Even those few extra characters in a column can lead to issues.

In non-newsprint (especially digital) situations the serial comma is normally preferred due to the fact that it reduces - but doesn't entirely eliminate - ambiguity in lists.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Can I just add that I'm getting a burgeoning feeling of fridge brilliance about RobIrr's post. I particularly like the triple meaning of "It's" (the overall experience, the "It" for which we are commanded to wait, and the discussion if "it's" vs "its"). How would we feel about the substitution of a semicolon for the alleged (and subsequently partially de-alleged) Oxford comma? It seems to me that it would stretch out the pause, emphasizing the waiting and helping the overall rhythm.

Ah, I have been partially ninja'd by HAL9000, but my proposal is to keep the "and". Outrageous, I know.

The 'and' is what keeps it a functioning acronym (because I refuse to apply the abomination that is the term 'backronym')
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

it ain't over yet kids.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Now what is THAT?

/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Battering ram? Or wood to build a palisade?
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

I hope Cueball is standing just off frame with his hands behind is head and a big smile on his face.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Man! 403 and 404 were awesome! The joy of the mini trebuchet was just... worth the wait?

descor

Postby descor » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:Image

it ain't over yet kids.

Never doubted it!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Well, shoot. I wake up and find I may have missed the beginning of the End.

What was the word?

bigcrag92 wrote:Hey look everyone we have a

WIKI

That's how I found out about the forums and religions!

I'm glad Megan's back. I don't know if I'm ready for the end.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:Image

it ain't over yet kids.

We've seen small, time for BIG!
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Man! 403 and 404 were awesome! The joy of the mini trebuchet was just... worth the wait?

The wait was worth the wait.

Signifer

Postby Signifer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

I think she's going to reinforce the structure of the sandcastle whit that thing (a pole?), but I don't know how...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Signifer wrote:I think she's going to reinforce the structure of the sandcastle whit that thing (a pole?), but I don't know how...

Maybe it's a rectangular length of wood that she'll lay parallel to the shore, à la sandbags.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
orthogon wrote:Can I just add that I'm getting a burgeoning feeling of fridge brilliance about RobIrr's post. I particularly like the triple meaning of "It's" (the overall experience, the "It" for which we are commanded to wait, and the discussion if "it's" vs "its"). How would we feel about the substitution of a semicolon for the alleged (and subsequently partially de-alleged) Oxford comma? It seems to me that it would stretch out the pause, emphasizing the waiting and helping the overall rhythm.

The 'and' is what keeps it a functioning acronym (because I refuse to apply the abomination that is the term 'backronym')

Agreed; my proposal is:

Looked, waited, posted; and it's interminable.

I think it's ok, provided you subscribe to the idea that you can start a sentence (and therefore a semicolonated clause, which has the same rules) with "and". And I do.

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Ludicrous waiting people. And I'm insane?

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:From what I can tell, no, nothing changed between the two frames.

There was another rising of the tide:

In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

elementropy

Postby elementropy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Pole vault!
- quoth Elementropy, Time Bandit, TimeWaiter Liturgist, Oxford Comma, and
A Greek Omelette with Fries and Tomato Juice, Hold-the-toast-please in the Order of Breakfast

Tempus fugit quasi sagita; muscas fructibus arieram volunt...

BlitzGirl: welcome to the future!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:Pole vault!

Giant flag?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Mario flag?

boozledorf wrote:Ludicrous waiting people. And I'm insane?

Best so far, until more words are revealed.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”