1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

azule wrote:Mario flag?

boozledorf wrote:Ludicrous waiting people. And I'm insane?

Best so far, until more words are revealed.

I still think "Lurked, waited, posted, and it's interminable." is the best.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Signifer wrote:I think she's going to reinforce the structure of the sandcastle whit that thing (a pole?), but I don't know how...

Maybe it's a rectangular length of wood that she'll lay parallel to the shore, à la sandbags.

She'll need a lot more boards to make a ring dike, then. A one-sided dike against the ocean is just a breakwater, and it'll fill in behind it.

Also, she's facing the wrong way, unless she's moonwalking the boards down the beach.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Both:

Lurked, waited, posted; and I'm insane.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

We can only hope.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

elementropy wrote:Pole vault!

She is going to do some fierljeppen!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fierljeppen

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

I arise from my coma!

Well shoot, it ended and then didn't last night. Clearly I should be spending even more time in front of this comic instead of lying down for a coma every 24 longpix or so. But now that Megan's back with a pole, I can see it still continues :D

gopher65 wrote:My understanding is that the serial comma is opposed primarily by the manuals of style put out by print publications with limited space. Newspapers, for instance, are largely against the use of serial commas due to their extreme space limitations. Even those few extra characters in a column can lead to issues.

In non-newsprint (especially digital) situations the serial comma is normally preferred due to the fact that it reduces - but doesn't entirely eliminate - ambiguity in lists.

I actually don't use it personally. Not as a conscious choice, just that it usually makes things read slower in my head and usually when I'm writing things (even random internet posts) I subconsciously optimize for speed.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Both:

What about "Lurked, waited, posted. Am I insane?". This way the acronym uses every word, I hate acronyms that don't (CDT [Congregation pro Doctrina Temporis] doesn't count... because I say so)
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

I'm going to go with the "reinforcing the castle to make it bigger" theory.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Dame Not-Bob

joaquimds

Postby joaquimds » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

I reckon the stick is also made out of snow

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:Image

Randall doesn't want us to know what it is yet. At least we now know its maximum length and height.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

LOL! What priceless arguing. It's idiocy.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
SBN wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Both:

What about "Lurked, waited, posted. Am I insane?". This way the acronym uses every word, I hate acronyms that don't (CDT [Congregation pro Doctrina Temporis] doesn't count... because I say so)

This could work, sure. It gets rid of the dual personages and the "and". :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:

Randall doesn't want us to know what it is yet. At least we now know its maximum length and height.

How can you tell? Half of it could be hidden behind the sandcastle.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
udscbt wrote:

We know its maximum length because if it were longer it would poke out from the other side. We don't know the actual length, just the maximum length.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
udscbt wrote:

We know its maximum length because if it were longer it would poke out from the other side. We don't know the actual length, just the maximum length.

The remaining part could be in a ditch...

EDIT: she might be carrying parts for a big trebuchet one at a time...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:I'm going to go with the "reinforcing the castle to make it bigger" theory.

Not bigger per se, but possibly taller, since Cueball specifically used the term "taller" rather than "bigger".

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
udscbt wrote:

Oh. Duh.

buffygirl wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:I'm going to go with the "reinforcing the castle to make it bigger" theory.

Not bigger per se, but possibly taller, since Cueball specifically used the term "taller" rather than "bigger".

You are correct, and I am corrected.
Last edited by Shepherdess on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:
udscbt wrote:
SBN wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Both:

Agreed.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

boozledorf

Postby boozledorf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
udscbt wrote:

Check the attachment. We're assuming it's a straight object, in which case it would appear in two places behind/in front of the sand castle.
Attachments
the pole.png

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

boozledorf wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
udscbt wrote:

Check the attachment. We're assuming it's a straight object, in which case it would appear in two places behind/in front of the sand castle.

That's true even if it isn't a staight object. What we are assuming (and maybe we shouldn't) is that it doesn't go under Megan's feet level and that it is completely black (we have no evidence that nothing other than the sky and the heads of M&C can be white)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
azule wrote:
udscbt wrote:
SBN wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Both:

Agreed.

Discussion about what a completely arbitrary acronym formed from seemingly insignificant letters means. Just what I've come to expect from this thread :D

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Ooh.. I get distracted by Outside duties for a few TimeFrames, and I find I've sparked an intense debate about a comma! I feel so proud. :D

FWIW, I'm British, but didn't go to any university. (Instead, I took up an apprenticeship at Ferranti Computer Systems; bet that dates me.) So I had no idea what an "Oxford Comma" was. Having read the wikipedia article on it, I've discovered I was in fact aware of it, as a serial comma - it was frowned upon by my school English teacher. I don't think my usage was one, as it's not separating items in a list.

Simply put, In the five seconds or so I spent on writing that post, I just felt it needed at least some form of pause there. I didn't analyse my writing half as much as I have since!

Edit: Do we get to vote on the final form?
Last edited by RobIrr on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
udscbt wrote:

That's true even if it isn't a staight object. What we are assuming (and maybe we shouldn't) is that it doesn't go under Megan's feet level and that it is completely black (we have no evidence that nothing other than the sky and the heads of M&C can be white)

The sky is actually full of seagulls...
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Dong/Bong/Gong

What? Where'd the stick go?

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Dong/Bong/Gong

What? Where'd the stick go?

In a pole hole.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

I think she set it behind the castle.

Re commas, I just put them, wherever, they seem appropriate (note that, appropriateness, can be determined by what makes English majors cry, as well as by what English syntax dictates)
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
mybrainhurts wrote:Is "grammar Nazi" perfectly legit English?

; - )

EDIT: Ha! Godwin's Law finally duly entered TIME, just before 10k!

I was going to posit a version stating that any sufficiently long xkcd forum thread is bound to end up discussing the spelling of "its" vs "it's".

Because of this comic, I am in danger of not finishing my book club book in time for the meeting. I'm currently at 32% with two days to go. Ironically, I've been telling people that I'm having trouble getting into it because it's a bit slow-moving.

Snigger
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mittfh

Postby mittfh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Well I never - I reduce my frequency of visiting "Time" because nothing interesting seems to happen...
...then 403 (mini trebuchet), 408 (sea confusion) and 414 (can't build much taller) come along, now joined by Megan's pole / plank / whatever.

Time's just got interesting again! (Not to mention I've been watching another form of time recently - in the form of Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman...)

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

mittfh wrote:Well I never - I reduce my frequency of visiting "Time" because nothing interesting seems to happen...
...then 403 (mini trebuchet), 408 (sea confusion) and 414 (can't build much taller) come along, now joined by Megan's pole / plank / whatever.

Time's just got interesting again! (Not to mention I've been watching another form of time recently - in the form of Matt Smith and Jenna Louise Coleman...)

Muhahaha, you have been punished by The Almighty Randall :twisted:. That being said: I was unfortunately comaing during the sea revelation myself :P.

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

They are building a raft upon the middle mound.
So when the flood comes they'll escape from this lost island.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

mittfh wrote:Well I never - I reduce my frequency of visiting "Time" because nothing interesting seems to happen...

RYCBAR123

Someone referenced this a while ago when I mentioned the show and I hadn't seen the (then) latest episode yet...

kryton

Postby kryton » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Poles for a BIG trebuchet to knock it all down after having fun building them?
1298 and counting

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Interesting

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Image
Interesting

Megan is gone, so I think this is the end. Bringing in the pole was the punchline. Only an Outsider would not get that hilarious and beautiful ending.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Interesting

So, is she stealing the next part from the beavers in the river? Or helping Cueball hauling the loot over?

EDIT:
Montov wrote:Megan is gone, so I think this is the end. Bringing in the pole was the punchline. Only an Outsider would not get that hilarious and beautiful ending.

Well, it still says: "Wait for it."
Last edited by PinkShinyRose on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
Interesting

Megan is gone, so I think this is the end. Bringing in the pole was the punchline. Only an Outsider would not get that hilarious and beautiful ending.

It can't end until we reach 500 Frames. How could we be connoisseurs otherwise?
She (or Cueball) will return with something else. And they will build a robotic raptor.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Long time comic fan(atic) here; never so much as lurked before the Rebuild Period (about Wednesday of last week, in Outsider time).

But not only have I travelled in time from 1964* to register and post, I've travelled from the first post on the thread, which had a mere 161 pages or so when I started.

At the risk of blaspheming**: Holy Sheepshit.

* A theological question I expect I'll have to resolving by poring over the thread and the Wiki, Torah/Talmud style, but: if time began with the One True Comic, how were the previous 1189 revealed to us? And if only the OTC is Truly True, then what of the others?****
** I expect that one or other of the schisms might accept me as a member, but that fact tends to rule out my joining them, I think.***
*** I'd format these footnotes properly, with numbers and all, but I'm posting this from my smartphone, which is already a bloody nuisance.
**** I realize that's two questions.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:
boozledorf wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
udscbt wrote:

You're also all* assuming that this is two-dimensional, so there can be no foreshortening. Which is funny, because I'm the one who suggested that Occam's razor suggested no need for a third spatial dimension. (It doesn't really.)

* or "y'all are also"
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Interesting

So, is she stealing the next part from the beavers in the river? Or helping Cueball hauling the loot over?

EDIT:
Montov wrote:Megan is gone, so I think this is the end. Bringing in the pole was the punchline. Only an Outsider would not get that hilarious and beautiful ending.

Well, it still says: "Wait for it."

I think the next several TimeFrames will show her going back and forth, gathering more and more poles (or planks or whatever).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”