1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Roia
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Roia » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Roia wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:"How many people are reading this thread naked?"


Thirteen.


+1


I can't figure out if you're liking my post by +1-ing it or telling me to add to the number because you are, in fact, reading this naked.

I'm also unsure whether or not I want to know the answer, but I've stated it now so come what may...
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Over 300 time frames and hundreds of posts since 184 and 186 when cueball removed the two flags from the center structure, and no one has wondered where they went?

I might also point out that since Megan brought in the miniture trebuchet in 404 and placed on the small copy of the overall scene, the small copy is no longer an exact duplicate of the larger scene where the large trebuchet has been removed. It may well be out of sight to the left but the small one is up against the small castle.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

rmsgrey
Posts: 3052
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:Over 300 time frames and hundreds of posts since 184 and 186 when cueball removed the two flags from the center structure, and no one has wondered where they went?


There were a couple of posts about it a while back. I'm not going to try digging them out for you.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1848
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:Over 300 time frames and hundreds of posts since 184 and 186 when cueball removed the two flags from the center structure, and no one has wondered where they went?

I might also point out that since Megan brought in the miniture trebuchet in 404 and placed on the small copy of the overall scene, the small copy is no longer an exact duplicate of the larger scene where the large trebuchet has been removed. It may well be out of sight to the left but the small one is up against the small castle.


They went to hammerspace, obviously.
Image

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
Exodies wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Exodies wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Interesting


So, is she stealing the next part from the beavers in the river? Or helping Cueball hauling the loot over?

EDIT:
Montov wrote:Megan is gone, so I think this is the end. Bringing in the pole was the punchline. Only an Outsider would not get that hilarious and beautiful ending.


Well, it still says: "Wait for it."

I think the next several TimeFrames will show her going back and forth, gathering more and more poles (or planks or whatever).


KarMann wrote:Image
Another one??


I TOTALLY CALLED IT!

EDITS: spoilered the first image, changed font color.


How can you possibly claim to have called it when you are just guessing? Kudos for calling surely implies the person has expended a certain amount of effort in formulating their prediction. You just pulled these poles out of thin air.

Why does there have to be effort?

Are you suggesting we should hand out prizes for nothing, or do you want to know why I don't think that's useful?

Its not like there's a "called it" prize. He predicted something and he was right. That's all.


buffygirl is a he?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Exodies wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Exodies wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Interesting


So, is she stealing the next part from the beavers in the river? Or helping Cueball hauling the loot over?

EDIT:
Montov wrote:Megan is gone, so I think this is the end. Bringing in the pole was the punchline. Only an Outsider would not get that hilarious and beautiful ending.


Well, it still says: "Wait for it."

I think the next several TimeFrames will show her going back and forth, gathering more and more poles (or planks or whatever).


KarMann wrote:Image
Another one??


I TOTALLY CALLED IT!

EDITS: spoilered the first image, changed font color.


How can you possibly claim to have called it when you are just guessing? Kudos for calling surely implies the person has expended a certain amount of effort in formulating their prediction. You just pulled these poles out of thin air.

Why does there have to be effort?

Are you suggesting we should hand out prizes for nothing, or do you want to know why I don't think that's useful?

Its not like there's a "called it" prize. He predicted something and he was right. That's all.


buffygirl is a he?

Oops!
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
beargarden
Cardinal
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby beargarden » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Apparently I am both lazy and blind.
Never bothered to read all the posts when I comad, just skimmed, and apparently didn't notice the centre tower was a mini replica of the other towers... It just looked like piles of sand!
I feel like I have failed my Cardinal duties!
...I don't know what duties a Cardinal actually has, but I'm sure actually paying attention to the One True Comic is one of them.

User avatar
edo
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:05 pm UTC
Location: ~TrApPeD iN mY PhOnE~

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Roia wrote:
edo wrote:
Roia wrote:
Mr Moriaty wrote:"How many people are reading this thread naked?"


Thirteen.


+1


I can't figure out if you're liking my post by +1-ing it or telling me to add to the number because you are, in fact, reading this naked.

I'm also unsure whether or not I want to know the answer, but I've stated it now so come what may...


Why couldn't it be both?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

tman2nd wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Exodies wrote:
tman2nd wrote:
Exodies wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
udscbt wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Interesting


So, is she stealing the next part from the beavers in the river? Or helping Cueball hauling the loot over?

EDIT:
Montov wrote:Megan is gone, so I think this is the end. Bringing in the pole was the punchline. Only an Outsider would not get that hilarious and beautiful ending.


Well, it still says: "Wait for it."

I think the next several TimeFrames will show her going back and forth, gathering more and more poles (or planks or whatever).


KarMann wrote:Image
Another one??


I TOTALLY CALLED IT!

EDITS: spoilered the first image, changed font color.


How can you possibly claim to have called it when you are just guessing? Kudos for calling surely implies the person has expended a certain amount of effort in formulating their prediction. You just pulled these poles out of thin air.

Why does there have to be effort?

Are you suggesting we should hand out prizes for nothing, or do you want to know why I don't think that's useful?

Its not like there's a "called it" prize. He predicted something and he was right. That's all.


buffygirl is a he?

Oops!

I am most certainly NOT a "he."
Oh, and I have a new hat.
Last edited by buffygirl on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

Buffygirl, love the new hat! Is it - is it a fascinator???
Last edited by fhorn on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

keithjgrant
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby keithjgrant » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:Image


When this originally showed up, I assumed "it" meant the castle, but what if it's referring to the big trebuchet, or whatever it is they're building with the poles? ...not sure if that significantly changes our understanding of anything so far, though.

CPADave71
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CPADave71 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Davidy wrote:Over 300 time frames and hundreds of posts since 184 and 186 when cueball removed the two flags from the center structure, and no one has wondered where they went?

I might also point out that since Megan brought in the miniture trebuchet in 404 and placed on the small copy of the overall scene, the small copy is no longer an exact duplicate of the larger scene where the large trebuchet has been removed. It may well be out of sight to the left but the small one is up against the small castle.


They went to hammerspace, obviously.


Which is clearly closely related to Hammer Time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:<snip>
tman2nd wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:buffygirl is a he?

Oops!

I am most certainly NOT a "he."
Oh, and I have a new hat.



A good hat, but not my favourite.
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Buffygirl, love the new hat! Is it - is it a fascinator???

*nod nods* indeed, it is. With rainbow colored butterflies.

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
fhorn wrote:Buffygirl, love the new hat! Is it - is it a fascinator???

*nod nods* indeed, it is. With rainbow colored butterflies.


The height of fashion perfection. My favorite so far.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

imagineddragon
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby imagineddragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:Image


Possible that this is a third character?

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image


Possible that this is a third character?

Possible. I don't think it's likely at this late stage though
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

imagineddragon
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby imagineddragon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image


Possible that this is a third character?

Possible. I don't think it's likely at this late stage though


your use of the word "late"? How do you know it hasn't just begun?

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:<snip>
tman2nd wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:buffygirl is a he?

Oops!

I am most certainly NOT a "he."
Oh, and I have a new hat.



A good hat, but not my favourite.

Riff Raff with Gun.jpg

WHAT!!!!!!!! YOU DARE DOUBT THE TASTE OF THE ARCH-CARDINAL OF HAT-AWESOMENESS!?!!???

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image


Possible that this is a third character?

I doubt it. I think we would have more of an indication.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Davidy wrote:Over 300 time frames and hundreds of posts since 184 and 186 when cueball removed the two flags from the center structure, and no one has wondered where they went?

I might also point out that since Megan brought in the miniture trebuchet in 404 and placed on the small copy of the overall scene, the small copy is no longer an exact duplicate of the larger scene where the large trebuchet has been removed. It may well be out of sight to the left but the small one is up against the small castle.


They went to hammerspace, obviously.


Cantorspace. I'm telling ya, they're building sandcastles on the infinite coastlines of the Mandelbrot set.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:00 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:<snip>
tman2nd wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:buffygirl is a he?

Oops!

I am most certainly NOT a "he."
Oh, and I have a new hat.



A good hat, but not my favourite.

Riff Raff with Gun.jpg

WHAT!!!!!!!! YOU DARE DOUBT THE TASTE OF THE ARCH-CARDINAL OF HAT-AWESOMENESS!?!!???

I'm sorry oh might arch-cardinal. but I can't think all of your hats are the best. I have to have one I prefer over the others.

My favourite is the rising phoenix
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:00 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Davidy wrote:Over 300 time frames and hundreds of posts since 184 and 186 when cueball removed the two flags from the center structure, and no one has wondered where they went?


There were a couple of posts about it a while back. I'm not going to try digging them out for you.

That's one big problem with this thread, if you leave to take care of actual reality, by the time you came back there are 6-8 additional pages posted. I don't have the luxury of backtracking to read them all.

Anyway, maybe the flags will reappear as part of the material that Megan is collecting.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Image
Where'd she go?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:02 am UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image


Possible that this is a third character?

Possible. I don't think it's likely at this late stage though


your use of the word "late"? How do you know it hasn't just begun?

I don't, but I know if I was introducing a new character into something it would be more noticeable
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
bigcrag92
Cardinal
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am UTC
Location: Glasgow, scotland

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Davidy wrote:Over 300 time frames and hundreds of posts since 184 and 186 when cueball removed the two flags from the center structure, and no one has wondered where they went?


There were a couple of posts about it a while back. I'm not going to try digging them out for you.

That's one big problem with this thread, if you leave to take care of actual reality, by the time you came back there are 6-8 additional pages posted. I don't have the luxury of backtracking to read them all.

Anyway, maybe the flags will reappear as part of the material that Megan is collecting.

It dosen't take that long to re-read the pages you miss.
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:04 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:<snip>
tman2nd wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:buffygirl is a he?

Oops!

I am most certainly NOT a "he."
Oh, and I have a new hat.


A good hat, but not my favourite.

Riff Raff with Gun.jpg

WHAT!!!!!!!! YOU DARE DOUBT THE TASTE OF THE ARCH-CARDINAL OF HAT-AWESOMENESS!?!!???

"How sentimental. And also presumptuous of you."
Last edited by KarMann on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Also, I know it's pretty obvious that Cueball built a mini-replica of the main scene in the center. I made the animated gif comparing the scales last night cuz I'm a huge nerd:

Image

Scaling the whole frame down to 15% was a match, if that means anything.

I hope we do zoom out 666.666% to see they're on top of a larger, identical sandcastle.
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

User avatar
kryton
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kryton » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:06 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Davidy wrote:Over 300 time frames and hundreds of posts since 184 and 186 when cueball removed the two flags from the center structure, and no one has wondered where they went?

I might also point out that since Megan brought in the miniture trebuchet in 404 and placed on the small copy of the overall scene, the small copy is no longer an exact duplicate of the larger scene where the large trebuchet has been removed. It may well be out of sight to the left but the small one is up against the small castle.


They went to hammerspace, obviously.


:D
Sorry I geek'd for a moment on this.
Spoiler:
Hammer space is that 'pocket of holding' that Bugs Bunny keeps the big wooden hammer that he hits Elmer fudd over the head with when he reaches behind his back and pulls it out. Also where Thor keeps his hammer when not in use.
1298 and counting

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:<snip>
tman2nd wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:buffygirl is a he?

Oops!

I am most certainly NOT a "he."
Oh, and I have a new hat.



A good hat, but not my favourite.

Riff Raff with Gun.jpg

WHAT!!!!!!!! YOU DARE DOUBT THE TASTE OF THE ARCH-CARDINAL OF HAT-AWESOMENESS!?!!???

I'm sorry oh might arch-cardinal. but I can't think all of your hats are the best. I have to have one I prefer over the others.

My favourite is the rising phoenix

You are forgiven, my child.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6789
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Note that the current image is identical to the one from two newpix ago:

Code: Select all

% diff -s xkcd_time_20130406_2200.png xkcd_time_20130407_0000.png
Files xkcd_time_20130406_2200.png and xkcd_time_20130407_0000.png are identical

The filenames are different, though: 535f34979de987f50ffd78707e8612cefce5657377d751e4d7581be13c6f9587.png and a31a4f5c35e0cdb8a15c21d5473943285be94074345e8d9dd245dbac25765e10.png. So, there is definitely no hash based on the file contents.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 am UTC

mscha wrote:Note that the current image is identical to the one from two newpix ago:

Code: Select all

% diff -s xkcd_time_20130406_2200.png xkcd_time_20130407_0000.png
Files xkcd_time_20130406_2200.png and xkcd_time_20130407_0000.png are identical

The filenames are different, though: 535f34979de987f50ffd78707e8612cefce5657377d751e4d7581be13c6f9587.png and a31a4f5c35e0cdb8a15c21d5473943285be94074345e8d9dd245dbac25765e10.png. So, there is definitely no hash based on the file contents.


I'm sure this was merely for pragmatic reasons. Why have multiple copies of the same image, if nothing in the frame changes?

Then again, I know not the mind of the Randall.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

karmicactus
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby karmicactus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:15 am UTC

cmyk wrote:Also, I know it's pretty obvious that Cueball built a mini-replica of the main scene in the center. I made the animated gif comparing the scales last night cuz I'm a huge nerd:

Scaling the whole frame down to 15% was a match, if that means anything.

I hope we do zoom out 666.666% to see they're on top of a larger, identical sandcastle.


It's sandcastles all the way down...

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:16 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
mscha wrote:Note that the current image is identical to the one from two newpix ago:

Code: Select all

% diff -s xkcd_time_20130406_2200.png xkcd_time_20130407_0000.png
Files xkcd_time_20130406_2200.png and xkcd_time_20130407_0000.png are identical

The filenames are different, though: 535f34979de987f50ffd78707e8612cefce5657377d751e4d7581be13c6f9587.png and a31a4f5c35e0cdb8a15c21d5473943285be94074345e8d9dd245dbac25765e10.png. So, there is definitely no hash based on the file contents.


I'm sure this was merely for pragmatic reasons. Why have multiple copies of the same image, if nothing in the frame changes?

Then again, I know not the mind of the Randall.

I thought mscha said that they were different.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:17 am UTC

mscha wrote:Note that the current image is identical to the one from two newpix ago:

Code: Select all

% diff -s xkcd_time_20130406_2200.png xkcd_time_20130407_0000.png
Files xkcd_time_20130406_2200.png and xkcd_time_20130407_0000.png are identical

The filenames are different, though: 535f34979de987f50ffd78707e8612cefce5657377d751e4d7581be13c6f9587.png and a31a4f5c35e0cdb8a15c21d5473943285be94074345e8d9dd245dbac25765e10.png. So, there is definitely no hash based on the file contents.

Actually, I'd say there's no hash based only on file contents. It could perfectly well be based on a combination of file contents and . . . other factors.

P.S. For that kind of comparison, you're really better off with cmp. No extra bells and whistles, and there's really no point to using diff instead unless you actually want to see the differences between lines, not just whether there are differences. Only downside is the only confirmation of identity is getting no output, like so:

Code: Select all

$ cmp frames/535f34979de987f50ffd78707e8612cefce5657377d751e4d7581be13c6f9587.png frames/a31a4f5c35e0cdb8a15c21d5473943285be94074345e8d9dd245dbac25765e10.png
$
Otherwise:

Code: Select all

$ cmp frames/e4f9f3126a6b3c3675f510bd08f894d32a491cfb44f5671a6ead9fa5d4f1b312.png frames/a31a4f5c35e0cdb8a15c21d5473943285be94074345e8d9dd245dbac25765e10.png 
frames/e4f9f3126a6b3c3675f510bd08f894d32a491cfb44f5671a6ead9fa5d4f1b312.png frames/a31a4f5c35e0cdb8a15c21d5473943285be94074345e8d9dd245dbac25765e10.png differ: byte 886, line 11
Exit 1
$
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

imagineddragon
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby imagineddragon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:17 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image


Possible that this is a third character?

Possible. I don't think it's likely at this late stage though


your use of the word "late"? How do you know it hasn't just begun?

I don't, but I know if I was introducing a new character into something it would be more noticeable


Because everything else in this comic was foreshadowed and predictable? Your logic is infallible, sir.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:19 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:<snip>
tman2nd wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:buffygirl is a he?

Oops!

I am most certainly NOT a "he."
Oh, and I have a new hat.


A good hat, but not my favourite.

Riff Raff with Gun.jpg

WHAT!!!!!!!! YOU DARE DOUBT THE TASTE OF THE ARCH-CARDINAL OF HAT-AWESOMENESS!?!!???

"How sentimental. And also presumptuous of you."

"And now, Frank N. Furter, your time has come. Say good-bye to all of this... and hello to oblivion. "

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:20 am UTC

karmicactus wrote:
cmyk wrote:Also, I know it's pretty obvious that Cueball built a mini-replica of the main scene in the center. I made the animated gif comparing the scales last night cuz I'm a huge nerd:

Scaling the whole frame down to 15% was a match, if that means anything.

I hope we do zoom out 666.666% to see they're on top of a larger, identical sandcastle.


It's sandcastles all the way down...


Riding on the back of a giant trebuche.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

imagineddragon
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby imagineddragon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:21 am UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image


Possible that this is a third character?

Possible. I don't think it's likely at this late stage though


your use of the word "late"? How do you know it hasn't just begun?

I don't, but I know if I was introducing a new character into something it would be more noticeable


Because everything else in this comic was foreshadowed and predictable? Your logic is infallible, sir.


Also, I wonder what significance the tiny rise in pixels to the right of this possibly third character might have?

User avatar
cmyk
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:24 am UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
imagineddragon wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image


Possible that this is a third character?

Possible. I don't think it's likely at this late stage though


your use of the word "late"? How do you know it hasn't just begun?

I don't, but I know if I was introducing a new character into something it would be more noticeable


Because everything else in this comic was foreshadowed and predictable? Your logic is infallible, sir.


Also, I wonder what significance the tiny rise in pixels to the right of this possibly third character might have?


It's either the tide is coming in, or the polar icecaps are melting at an alarming rate.
Image

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests