1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tman2nd

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:29 am UTC

imagineddragon wrote:[url = http://static5.depositphotos.com/100735 ... vector.jpg]Prague Skyline[/url]

I dunno.. just interesting, I suppose.

Kind of looks like Time.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Intrexa

Postby Intrexa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Roia wrote:It'll be a lame analogy once (if?) the comic ends, but I like it for now anyway.

I'm almost positive this comic is Randalls commentary on global warming. The "I don't understand what the ocean is doing" is what really hit it home for me.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:43 am UTC

Here's a comparison of the center tower (stretched 666%) and the last newpix with the big trebuchet in the analogous position.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:47 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:Image

Here's a comparison of the center tower (stretched 666%) and the last newpix with the big trebuchet in the analogous position.

I think the thing on the scale model is the tiny trebuchet they put there. That's why they look similar. Now, I wonder what happened to the other trebuchet.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:50 am UTC

So I guess this confirms there is a third level of recursion on the middle tower of the model. Glad we have that covered.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:03 am UTC

newpix!

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Deadcode

Postby Deadcode » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:13 am UTC

Here's a direct comparison of the entire castle, scaled down to 14.49%, against the nested version of itself.

It's a very close match. Not perfect, but as far as we've been able to see it was built seat-of-the-pants, so it shouldn't be perfect!
Attachments
xkcd_Time_nested_comparison.gif
xkcd_Time_nested_comparison.gif (10.32 KiB) Viewed 9166 times
Last edited by Deadcode on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:43 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:17 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:

I think the thing on the scale model is the tiny trebuchet they put there. That's why they look similar. Now, I wonder what happened to the other trebuchet.

Shrink ray, obviously.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:29 am UTC

In regards to the rope:

Spoiler:
Megan is Wonder Woman. That's actually her lasso.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
tman2nd wrote:

Shrink ray, obviously.

Honey, I shrunk the sand castle

josiahstevenson

Postby josiahstevenson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Oh, I was sure the rope was a measuring tape and the bar a {meter / yard / other}-stick. Seemed like she was trying to measure it -- either to record it, or to build a bigger one and prove Cueball wrong.

also: I missed the part where we named him Cueball, but he's apparently been called that since at least page 87, so it's hardly time to argue about his name now.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:45 am UTC

josiahstevenson wrote:Oh, I was sure the rope was a measuring tape and the bar a {meter / yard / other}-stick. Seemed like she was trying to measure it -- either to record it, or to build a bigger one and prove Cueball wrong.

also: I missed the part where we named him Cueball, but he's apparently been called that since at least page 87, so it's hardly time to argue about his name now.

The name has existed for a long time, and didn't originate here.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Holy shit. I uncovered the ending frames...

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 am UTC

cmyk wrote:Holy shit. I uncovered the ending frames...

[img]https:/dl.dropbox.com/u/5583349/xkcd_TIME_revealedEnding.gif[/img]

The image url says otherwise.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:02 am UTC

NEWPIX!!!!!!

What is it?! An explosive device?
Last edited by Valarya on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

[img]https:/dl.dropbox.com/u/5583349/xkcd_TIME_revealedEnding.gif[/img]

The image url says otherwise.

The image url speaks for NOONE!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

josiahstevenson

Postby josiahstevenson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
josiahstevenson wrote:Oh, I was sure the rope was a measuring tape and the bar a {meter / yard / other}-stick. Seemed like she was trying to measure it -- either to record it, or to build a bigger one and prove Cueball wrong.

The name has existed for a long time, and didn't originate here.

October 2011 seems to be the first appearance of the name in the Individual Comic Threads part of the forum (search.php?keywords=cueball&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=7&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=a&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search). Interesting.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Valarya wrote:NEWPIX!!!!!!

Coïncidence, or whät? Ïs hë actuälly speäking thë trüth?

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:09 am UTC

Elmach wrote:

I find your usage of the umlaut fascinating.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:13 am UTC

My first thought is that Megan is carrying a clapperboard (film slate) but that makes no sense.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:16 am UTC

htom wrote:My first thought is that Megan is carrying a clapperboard (film slate) but that makes no sense.

I think she's building a flux capacitor. Cueball's gone to get the Delorian. And the extra plutonium.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:30 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
htom wrote:My first thought is that Megan is carrying a clapperboard (film slate) but that makes no sense.

I think she's building a flux capacitor. Cueball's gone to get the Delorian. And the extra plutonium.

Yeah, but where's he gonna get one-point-twenty-one jigawatts, in that [sandy/icy/semenatedcancerbabycoffee] wasteland?
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 am UTC

partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Yeah, but where's he gonna get one-point-twenty-one jigawatts, in that [sandy/icy/semenatedcancerbabycoffee] wasteland?

There's a body of water right by them. If they wait, A storm would come along eventually.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 am UTC

partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Actually, it was a major point of the movie that the one-point-twenty-one jigawatts came from the plutonium that cmyk mentioned, in the original design. So, not much of an objection, there.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 am UTC

KarMann wrote: [snippage]
Actually, it was a major point of the movie that the one-point-twenty-one jigawatts came from the plutonium that cmyk mentioned, in the original design. So, not much of an objection, there.

Damme, you're right. There's been a major lapse of time since I saw the movie. I mostly remember the jigawatts line because a former colleague of mine, when some serious problem arose, would sputter "One-point-twenty-one jigawatts?! How'm I gonna get..." etc., etc. Since he could do a pretty good Christopher Lloyd impression, this was effective.

I never saw any of the sequels; were they any good?
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

AUS

Postby AUS » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:43 am UTC

Assuming cymk is a lying liar whom lies (hopefully), that's actually a pretty cool animation he made.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:47 am UTC

partingLance wrote:

Damme, you're right. There's been a major lapse of time since I saw the movie. I mostly remember the jigawatts line because a former colleague of mine, when some serious problem arose, would sputter "One-point-twenty-one jigawatts?! How'm I gonna get..." etc., etc. Since he could do a pretty good Christopher Lloyd impression, this was effective.

What sequels?

But seriously, I got ticked off when I went to see Part II totally unaware that there was going to be a Part III, much less that Part II would have a cliffhanger ending leading to Part III. So, I never did see the third.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:50 am UTC

htom wrote:Is that Megan wearing her hair in a bun, or Cueball wearing a dewrag?

buffygirl -- not my favorite hat. Sorry. It's too massive, unbalances your face.

*rolls eyes* You're going to have to be more specific re: which hat?! although I take it you mean The FlowerPot. In which case, all I have to say is THBBBBT!

EDIT: punctuation
Last edited by buffygirl on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:52 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
Elmach wrote:

I find your usage of the umlaut fascinating.

Ï'm nöt üsing ümlaüts, whät arë yöu tälkin' aboüt?

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:56 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
partingLance wrote:

What sequels?

But seriously, I got ticked off when I went to see Part II totally unaware that there was going to be a Part III, much less that Part II would have a cliffhanger ending leading to Part III. So, I never did see the third.

Sounds reasonable. Whenever I've been suckered into watching a sequel, I've usually found it a waste of time. The Godfather Part II was an obvious exception, and maybe the only one; though it could just be I saw that before I'd seen the original.

As for Godfather III, that's three hours of my life (which felt like six) I won't get back -- and in 1990 hours, too. With inflation, I shudder to think what they'd be worth today.

EDIT: A propos of nothing whatsoever, I've searched through the thread, and I don't believe anyone's posted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHfB63ln1Ig

EDIT2: Erm, maybe I should have posted the short version. The 11-minute version is less tedious than "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," but that's not saying much. Though the "Little Drummer Boy" riff is a nice touch.
Last edited by partingLance on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:58 am UTC

AUS wrote:Assuming cymk is a lying liar whom lies (hopefully), that's actually a pretty cool animation he made.

Yes. Maybe that's what make me think of clapperboards.

Back to the Future franchise --> Lea Thompson. Enough said.

Buffygirl. Yes, the flowerpot. Flowers, yes; flowerpots, maybe; flowerpots larger than your head, no. Here's a tissue.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:59 am UTC

fhorn wrote:Maybe she's going to tie up all the loose ends for us AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH
Sorry. Perhaps Buffygirl's hat isn't the only thing unbalanced around here.

*states primly* All of my hats are balanced. If they appear otherwise, it is your own ... brainy-stuff .... making you feel all .... conglomerated and confooosed-ish... 'n' stuff....

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:01 am UTC

partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:

As KarMann already pointed out, the 1.21 Jigawatts of electricity is generated from the plutonium reaction.

KarMann wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Then, of course, the Doc visited the future and replaced the nuclear reactor with a Mr. Fusion. 2015 is only a couple years away. I can't wait!

HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:

There's a body of water right by them. If they wait, A storm would come along eventually.

"Yes, but unfortunately you never know when or where a bolt of lightning is going to strike!"

Unless they build a broken sand clocktower.

partingLance wrote:

"Einstein! How could I have been so careless?! 1.21 jigawatts?! How am I gonna generate that sort of electricity?..."

AUS wrote:Assuming cymk is a lying liar whom lies (hopefully), that's actually a pretty cool animation he made.

The lyingest liar of them all! Unless I'm actually Randall, which I am not. Or am I?

Although, now I wish I'd put a tiny velociraptor on the ICBM: The most scariest thermonuclear weapon devised!

First half of BTTF2 is amusing, but feels the most ill-conceived and contrived. The last half of BTTF2 is pure genius. Has the best ending of all three films.

BTTF3 is underrated and is an excellent movie on its own terms, with a bunch of clever dilemma reversals for the Doc, Marty and the problem of getting him back to 1985. Not as good as the first, but still a great chapter. Best incarnation of Biff too.

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Megan leaves a bomb and I must coma! Time is cruel.

(Is anyone else feeling a bit sleep-deprived?)

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:05 am UTC

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 am UTC

Elmach wrote:Ï'm nöt üsing ümlaüts, whät arë yöu tälkin' aboüt?

Ühhh... pfff, yëh, nëvërmïnd. Ï müst bë sëëïng thïngs... Lïstënïng tö töö müch Mötley Crüe lätëly, ör sömëthïng...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:09 am UTC

cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:

"Yes, but unfortunately you never know when or where a bolt of lightning is going to strike!"

Actually, there was a point when Cueball had started building on the middle tower, but before it became clear that he was replicating the scene at 1:7 scale, when I thought it looked like he might be making Big Ben & Westminster/Parliament there. So, we certainly can't rule that out.
Go, fulgarites!
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:14 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:

Actually, there was a point when Cueball had started building on the middle tower, but before it became clear that he was replicating the scene at 1:7 scale, when I thought it looked like he might be making Big Ben & Westminster/Parliament there. So, we certainly can't rule that out.
Go, fulgarites!

Okay. Now I want a 1:7 scale mode of Hill Valley made out of sand (with Mr. Sandman playing eerily in the background).

"Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale or paint."

Okay, last BTTF quote. I promise.

Sorta.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:26 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Here's the zoomed (& unsharp masked) view:
4227369ef98aecf76eb463b35edd9508608c6e07103448420411cb81364fd1d8-zoom.png

I'd go with the rope idea, but we can't really be sure yet. But when did that ever stop us?

Primacord®. Definitely.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”