1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kazza3

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kazza3 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:25 am UTC

The thought is that she's bringing out all the materials for a massive trebuchet, the box being the counterweight.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:do i detect some sarcasm?

Do we know what the box was all about?
Whats in it? what does it do? is it made from plutonium?
All important questions.

Surely as the holy geophysisist you're the best placed to tell us whether or not the box is plutonium?
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:
Kieryn wrote: Self-realisation: What if we are all Randall?!!

What if Randall is us... From the future?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:00 am UTC

P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:01 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Image

holy sand you've posted 414 times ITT
-That's Cardinal bigcrag92 to you, the holy alium, secretary of the CDT. Got a hat and everything
peewee_RotA wrote:Welcome aboard. May the Timeframes ahead be filled with trebuchets.

Lord Cathbad wrote:

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:13 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:

Do we know what the box was all about?
Whats in it? what does it do? is it made from plutonium?
All important questions.

Surely as the holy geophysisist you're the best placed to tell us whether or not the box is plutonium?

It doesn't say "Competent" holy geophysicist.

But I can categorically say it is not Plutonium.. it may however be Brie.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 am UTC

NOOOOoooo. Of course not.

Mr Moriaty wrote:Do we know what the box was all about?

It's sealed off from all observation inside.

Mr Moriaty wrote:Whats in it?

A cat.

Mr Moriaty wrote:what does it do?

Demonstrates the absurdities of the Copenhagen Interpretation.

Mr Moriaty wrote:is it made from plutonium?

Yes, if a small geiger counter inside picks up a decayed Pu alpha particle, it triggers a tiny trebuchet inside activating the flux capacitor where it'll be sent back to the late Cretaceous to be eaten by raptors.

Mr Moriaty wrote:All important questions.

Which, due to quantum conundrums, the cat is in a superstate of being annoyed inside a hot box, or being torn apart by dinosaurs. Such is the sand-like granularity of random, quantum fluctuations; popping in and out of existence like Planck scale sandcastles, bringing forth order from chaos, like the finitely bounded, but infinite shorelines of the Julia Sets where upon we find ourselves floating aimlessly, looking for patterns where there are none, and seeking meaning in a cold, pointless, indifferent universe, until the tides of entropy finally win the game we are forced to play — drowning us all in the deep, inky seas of an eternally dark abyss.

But that just goes without saying.
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:21 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image

holy sand you've posted 414 times ITT

But that's only 98.10% of my total posts! Oops, make that 98.11% . . . .
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

silent_death

Postby silent_death » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:24 am UTC

After lurking a lot since my last post on page 80 or so I want say what I think what could be happening:

I think Megan may be building a Mineshaft. The sticks and rope she brought in is used as support to not have it collapse, the last thing she brought in could either be a miniature minecart or as previously mentioned some explosive device to open the mine.
Not yet sure though what the purpose of the mine is, maybe they wan´t to have a secret escape shaft for their castle - or the river is actually underground.
- former Expecto Space Bishop Temporas of the Church of Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 am UTC

it's been a while since we had a

WIKI BUMP

Lord Cathbad wrote:

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:42 am UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:it's been a while since we had a

WIKI BUMP

is that a euphemism?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:it's been a while since we had a

WIKI BUMP

is that a euphemism?

You wanna bump my wiki?

Lord Cathbad wrote:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:47 am UTC

If they are building a larger trebuchet, they will need larger plutonium pellets than the single pixel ones we have seen so far. Somewhere nearby must be a radioactive materials storage depot (or pebble beach in Outsider speak).
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:54 am UTC

The counterweight for a larger trebuchet would be too heavy for her to carry by herself... Unless it was an empty box that she was filling with water/sand. In which case, I wouldn't be able to throw anything very far.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Identical to the previous frame. I believe this is the first time that two consecutive frames are identical; previously, there always was at least some small change like a sea level rise or a corner falling off.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

I decoma'd to find that we had sailed past a big round number milestone number of pages without comment. I'm a humble lay member of the Religion of the One True Comic, but am I wrong in believing that it is incumbent on RobIrr to go back and edit some toilet humour into his1 post?

1Pronoun deduced from the substring "Rob".
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Image
Identical to the previous frame. I believe this is the first time that two consecutive frames are identical; previously, there always was at least some small change like a sea level rise or a corner falling off.

Weren't there a few identical frames before it took that slow crawl back to reveal the wider scene? Maybe it's about to happen again.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:Weren't there a few identical frames before it took that slow crawl back to reveal the wider scene? Maybe it's about to happen again.

Even then there was at least one or few pixels that changed.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Even then there was at least one or few pixels that changed.

#125 to #127 were identical. Followed by a pan over 36 newpix...

keshat

Postby keshat » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

We've had identical frames before, but not consecutive.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 149 out of 259 pages.
Attack of the Trebuchet. NP 222.

I have coma'ed twice since I last traveled the thread of Time, and the lack of chaos in my brain concerns me. Clearly I have been absent too long. Luckily my path now winds through posts affected by the Madness, as the Sandcastle is bombarded by the First Trebuchet. I suddenly desire to Capitalize as many Mundane Words as is Humanly Possible. It shall be All Too Easy to slip back into the Semen/Coffee River/Sea that is This Thread.

Also, THIS:
bouer wrote:Who needs their sanity. Read it all

Sanity Shmanity, this girl is an absolute trooper.
If When she finally catches up to the present Time I propose she be given an honorary cardinalship for sheer devoutness and perseverance.

Go go fellow Time traveller.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

bigcrag92
Cardinal

Postby bigcrag92 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:

I have coma'ed twice since I last traveled the thread of Time, and the lack of chaos in my brain concerns me. Clearly I have been absent too long. Luckily my path now winds through posts affected by the Madness, as the Sandcastle is bombarded by the First Trebuchet. I suddenly desire to Capitalize as many Mundane Words as is Humanly Possible. It shall be All Too Easy to slip back into the Semen/Coffee River/Sea that is This Thread.

Also, THIS:

If When she finally catches up to the present Time I propose she be given an honorary cardinalship for sheer devoutness and perseverance.

I here-by create the post of cardinal tempus viator which shall be reserved for BlitzGirl for when she catches up to this point in the thread

Lord Cathbad wrote:

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Also, THIS:

I here-by create the post of cardinal tempus viator which shall be reserved for BlitzGirl for when she catches up to this point in the thread

Seems appropriate.
StratPlayer wrote:Ah yes -- Vinnie Longdong. I believe he retired. Now he owns a strip club in New Jersey...

BA-DA-BING!!!

imagineddragon

Postby imagineddragon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Also, THIS:

Seems appropriate.

Go Quest Girl, Go! May rivers of semen and babies guide you to the end, which is only the beginning. OR middle, we aren't really sure? It could almost be at the end, but I doubt it. This is forever. I feel it in my SOUL!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

imagineddragon wrote:
AionArap wrote:
bigcrag92 wrote:
AionArap wrote:

Also, THIS:

Seems appropriate.

Go Quest Girl, Go! May rivers of semen and babies guide you to the end, which is only the beginning. OR middle, we aren't really sure? It could almost be at the end, but I doubt it. This is forever. I feel it in my SOUL!

Hurry up and Wait?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

What does she have this time?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

htom

Postby htom » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Is that a tiny Megan on the left edge of the center model?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

AionArap

Postby AionArap » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Image

What does she have this time?

Looks like something too big for her to carry alone. Cueball following behind her next frame?

BA-DA-BING!!!

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

htom wrote:Is that a tiny Megan on the left edge of the center model?

Blending this frame with a previous frame without her in Photoshop, using Difference blend mode reveals that, no, the only addition/change is Megan.

No wait... I mean, a Time Wizard told me so.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

No cueball, just Megan with yet another mysterious object ...
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Perilous_3D

Postby Perilous_3D » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

This comic makes me doubt the benevolence of The Great Randall...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Luxembourgish for to wait is waarden.
I don't accept the concept of 'a bit late'.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:Image

No cueball, just Megan with yet another mysterious object ...

These things are boxes with handles; she holds them near the top.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

I have just created an account to post this, after lurking for several years:
I refuse to believe that after 10398 posts, no one has come up with "Keep calm and wait for it."
Therefore, I proclaim myself the Undisputed Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church of the One True Comic. And not. Keep calm. Wait for it.

EDIT: Or->And
Last edited by Flado on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

I don't think they planned any of this. If we go back (or is it forward? Or sideways?) to the Big Dong, Frame 1, they are simply busy waiting. If they had a plan to build something with the local materials they would have got on with it.

Also: hurry up and Wait is a Blondie lyric.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:Oh! I've totally neglected to mention that, when I was young, I had a tiny trebuchet myself, just about the same size as Megan's tiny #403 one, probably something like 8" tall to the crossbeam. Made out of cardstock, with a counterweight full of pennies. It was a pattern from some magazine I got back then. And it did actually work for launching small objects. Too bad I didn't have any pebble nukes yet back then. :twisted:

My coworker has a tiny trebuchet on his cubicle desk, in amongst the dragons and piles of thumb drives. He likes to shoot M&M's and/or Peanuts out of it!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

I think they're the one's killin' time, hence the title of the comic. But I do think they're passing the time playfully improvising while waiting for... it.

Although, when I want to kill time, I watch TV. They build trebuchets and scale models of trebuchets.

God only knows what she's lugging around now. Rubbermaid storage containers full of porn, guns and ammo?

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Sigh ....

Is this another duplicate no-action ?
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”