1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:** Speaking of Eternal Returns, I was just going to ask if there'd been any Battlestar "All This Has Happened Before, and All This Will Happen Again" Galactica references on this thread, when I remembered someone's theory that Megan and Cueball are toasters. I'd have to say I'm doubtful about it.

As it happens, that someone was me. All I had to go on was someone else saying "they have a Plan," so the evidence is a little weak. And, kind of like I was just saying about Doctor Who, BSG is another one where I haven't finished watching the whole thing yet, and I'm not so sure I want to because I've heard such mixed things about the conclusion, which probably relates to your whole point there.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:Can I have a hat that covers my hair instead, as my hair is a tragic mess.

Are you placing an order? Please provide size and color preferences.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Yes, yes, I remember too! I was one of the few chicks in undergrad who hung out in our Science Library computer lab in the late 80's goofing off and making up silly names for our email accounts (I was __________ - don't ask), although I was not a computer science major.

Where's that "strangely aroused" emoticon?

At some point in early 1992, my advisor was planning to leave for a few months sabbatical, and said "we can keep in touch by email." I can still remember thinking (though I didn't ask him) "what's email?"

KarMann wrote:
Exodies wrote:At least we learnt one thing this weekend - Time isn't made of strawberries.

Spoilers, sweetie.

(As it happens, I've finally caught up to the current midseason. Expecting to watch at least the Christmas special tonight. Should be all caught up within a day or two.)

Given the nature of this thread, I'd assumed that was a Strawberry Alarm Clock reference.
Last edited by partingLance on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Smithers wrote:Can I have a hat that covers my hair instead, as my hair is a tragic mess.

Let's see, the one I have handy that I know fits says "57cm"; I think that's the circumference of where it meets my head (there must be a word for that but I'm not really up on my hat terminology). As for colour, a deep navy would be nice.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Also, cmyk: I have to know this. What is your avatar a picture of? Did you custom-create it? Or is your username based on the image?

I know nothing of cmyk's avatar, but I think it's safe to say that the nick comes from the colour scheme abbreviation for Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-blacK.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Added: Note that she's carrying something again that fills the corner to the right of her a bit, at a slant.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Let's see, the one I have handy that I know fits says "57cm"; I think that's the circumference of where it meets my head (there must be a word for that but I'm not really up on my hat terminology). As for colour, a deep navy would be nice.

*Avidly takes notes* then looks up, oh wait, were you saying something? Right. 57cm, navy. Although I will be choosing a style myself, I can accept suggestions, especially if there are styles you particularly DISlike. I imagine I can have it ready before the end of Time.
EDIT: Additional question - is this a hat you plan to have your avatar don? In that case, I fear a deep navy might not show up very well...
Last edited by buffygirl on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, cmyk: I have to know this. What is your avatar a picture of? Did you custom-create it? Or is your username based on the image?

I know nothing of cmyk's avatar, but I think it's safe to say that the nick comes from the colour scheme abbreviation for Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-blacK.

The avatar appears to be a picture of an alien. It also has a 2x2 grid in the lower right, showing the four colours you mentioned, with "cmyk" underneath. Also: http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=10400#p3320837.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

And choice of toppings.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Exodies wrote:At least we learnt one thing this weekend - Time isn't made of strawberries.

Spoilers, sweetie.

(As it happens, I've finally caught up to the current midseason. Expecting to watch at least the Christmas special tonight. Should be all caught up within a day or two.)

Given the nature of this thread, I'd assumed that was a Strawberry Alarm Clock reference.

I'd have been quite oblivious myself, but an acquaintance quoted it on Facebook last night, which led to my Googling it since I had no idea what it was but it sounded intriguing, which suddenly set off the spoiler alarms in my place and doused my laptop in paradox-suppressive foam. Actually, in between those two points, I was even thinking it might be a DW quote, but trying to remember if strawberries were among the foods he tried immediately after regenerating, at young Pond's (Ponds'?) residence.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:Image
Added: Note that she's carrying something again that fills the corner to the right of her a bit, at a slant.

DONG?

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
KarMann wrote:Image

DONG?

Well, I was just recently contemplating a Cueball-in-a-wig hypothesis.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

histrion

Postby histrion » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:I still wonder about comics prior to the One True, but perhaps I can think of those as so many John the Baptists (Johns the Baptist?)).

I find myself using the theology of the Church of Last Thursday as a sort of conceptual reference point.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

histrion wrote:
partingLance wrote:I still wonder about comics prior to the One True, but perhaps I can think of those as so many John the Baptists (Johns the Baptist?)).

I find myself using the theology of the Church of Last Thursday as a sort of conceptual reference point.

Oh me yarm, that's the creepiest thing ever.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
partingLance wrote:** Speaking of Eternal Returns, I was just going to ask if there'd been any Battlestar "All This Has Happened Before, and All This Will Happen Again" Galactica references on this thread, when I remembered someone's theory that Megan and Cueball are toasters. I'd have to say I'm doubtful about it.

As it happens, that someone was me.

Right. Well, I did read through just over 250 pages and 10,000 posts before even registering, so you can see where I'd be hazy on the attributions. I could always have done a search, of course.

KarMann wrote:All I had to go on was someone else saying "they have a Plan," so the evidence is a little weak. And, kind of like I was just saying about Doctor Who, BSG is another one where I haven't finished watching the whole thing yet, and I'm not so sure I want to because I've heard such mixed things about the conclusion, which probably relates to your whole point there.

I'd recommend watching to the end. It wasn't necessarily all I'd hoped for, or might have hoped for, but I found it satisfying nonetheless. Though I may be in a minority among fans when I say that.

buffygirl wrote:
partingLance wrote:Surely the WarpPix time-dilation effect -- in which a Newpix now appears to correspond to an hour of Outside time -- will help in that respect?

*sighs.* My darling child, you are suffering from Menopause. Repent!

But... but... must I? As I implied in my first post, I'd reluctant in the extreme to join any religion, or sect thereof, that would have me as a member.

In any case, I think the principal schisms here would find me annoyingly, if not alarmingly, heterodox. For example, I prefer -- that is, if pressed, would have to insist on -- the term Newpix, and would never willingly adopt TimeFrame. So that should, if I understand right, define me as an Initiate of Time. Trouble is, I much prefer the term Timewaiter. But I'm assuming that either they wouldn't have me, or they'd want to inquire closely into my articles of faith, and perhaps too closely for my comfort, peace of mind, and bodily integrity. And I don't even have any objections to "TimeWatcher", which position I guess would be repugnant to all concerned.

So you see my dilemma, or perhaps just difficulty. I'd prefer to cultivate a certain agnosticism. If entreated to take part in any catechism, or commanded to repent, I'd have to say, after Bartleby, "I prefer not to": adding, of course, "and simply to Wait For It." Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself.

And too besides, and furthermore, about this Menopause business: I don't believe it holds water. If we grant that the Newpix ("TimeFrame," if you will) is the One True Comic's equivalent of the Outside "speed of light" -- a constant, an immutable absolute, to which the rest of the "cosmos" has to accommodate itself -- then the time-dilation effect must be real, as it is with the Outsiders' "relativity," and not a subjective illusion.

EDIT:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

Gee Willikers, that's the creepiest thing ever.

It's definitely up there. Reminds me of what I find the creepiest thing ever, just about: a certain Robert Heinlein story.
Last edited by partingLance on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

histrion wrote:

Funny, I've totally heard Last Thursdayism referenced many a time, but never heard of this Church of Last Thursday until now. I wonder which came first? (Assuming either did start before three days ago.)
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Dear Cardinal Up Down Strange Charm Beauty Truth,
I noticed a while back that your sig was an image, instead of text. First I saw that the font was too small, but thought little of it. Then I realised that it had the wrong background colour when used in an odd-numbered reply and discovered that it was an image. Are you doing battle with the enemy that is the 300 character limit on sigs? Also, your image is in the PNG format, which supports (partial and full) transparency, so you could easily avoid the 'wrong colour' issue?

Helper goeth to Starbux:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Right. Well, I did read through just over 250 pages and 10,000 posts before even registering, so you can see where I'd be hazy on the attributions. I could always have done a search, of course.

Oh, that wasn't meant to be any kind of accusation or recrimination at all; just a simple observation of apparent fact.

partingLance wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
partingLance wrote:Surely the WarpPix time-dilation effect -- in which a Newpix now appears to correspond to an hour of Outside time -- will help in that respect?

*sighs.* My darling child, you are suffering from Menopause. Repent!

But... but... must I? As I implied in my first post, I'd reluctant in the extreme to join any religion, or sect thereof, that would have me as a member.

In any case, I think the principal schisms here would find me annoyingly, if not alarmingly, heterodox. For example, I prefer -- that is, if pressed, would have to insist on -- the term Newpix, and would never willingly adopt TimeFrame. So that should, if I understand right, define me as an Initiate of Time. Trouble is, I much prefer the term Timewaiter. But I'm assuming that either they wouldn't have me, or they'd want to inquire closely into my articles of faith, and perhaps too closely for my comfort, peace of mind, and bodily integrity. And I don't even have any objections to "TimeWatcher", which position I guess would be repugnant to all concerned.

So you see my dilemma, or perhaps just difficulty. I'd prefer to cultivate a certain agnosticism. If entreated to take part in any catechism, or commanded to repent, I'd have to say, after Bartleby, "I prefer not to": adding, of course, "and simply to Wait For It." Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself.

And too besides, and furthermore, about this Menopause business: I don't believe it holds water. If we grant that the Newpix ("TimeFrame," if you will) is the One True Comic's equivalent of the Outside "speed of light" -- a constant, an immutable absolute, to which the rest of the "cosmos" has to accommodate itself -- then the time-dilation effect must be real, as it is with the Outsiders' "relativity," and not a subjective illusion.

Have you looked into the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters? It sounds like they may be for you.

P.S. Do you prefer three, then? (Old joke.)
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

What have they got against left handedness?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:But... but... must I? As I implied in my first post, I'd reluctant in the extreme to join any religion, or sect thereof, that would have me as a member.

Groucho Marx quotes? As far as I know, that is new to this thread.
partingLance wrote:In any case, I think the principal schisms here would find me annoyingly, if not alarmingly, heterodox. For example, I prefer -- that is, if pressed, would have to insist on -- the term Newpix, and would never willingly adopt TimeFrame. So that should, if I understand right, define me as an Initiate of Time. Trouble is, I much prefer the term Timewaiter. But I'm assuming that either they wouldn't have me, or they'd want to inquire closely into my articles of faith, and perhaps too closely for my comfort, peace of mind, and bodily integrity. And I don't even have any objections to "TimeWatcher", which position I guess would be repugnant to all concerned.

I believe that makes you an Eastern unorthodox Timewaiter. (This part ninja'd by KarMann.)

Helper goeth to Starbux:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

It's sinister, isn't it?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

HERETICS! ALL OF YOU!

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

It's sinister, isn't it?

For some unknown reason my Grandmother refused to let my Dad write with his left hand - she made him use his right hand. He uses his left for everything else: football (of the soccer variety), DIY, tennis etc. but his right for writing!

buffygirl wrote:HERETICS! ALL OF YOU!

But, but, what did I do? I've tried to be a good Timewaiter ...
Last edited by descor on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
partingLance wrote:
KarMann wrote:

Oh, that wasn't meant to be any kind of accusation or recrimination at all; just a simple observation of apparent fact.

Understood completely, I hadn't taken it in any kind of negative way.

KarMann wrote:Have you looked into the Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters? It sounds like they may be for you.

In truth I had. If I were inclined to join a splinter group with that plank* in its platform, I can think of worse things than to be led by Kryton, or his avatar. I always kind of identified with Lister, myself.

P.S. Do you prefer three, then? (Old joke.)

Oy. And I thought I'd heard (and duly retailed) most of the old groaners. Of the making of corn there is no end, I suppose.

* Sorry.

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

It's sinister, isn't it?

litterally.
http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... nt-meaning
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

descor wrote:
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

It's sinister, isn't it?

For some unknown reason my Grandmother refused to let my Dad write with his left hand - she made him use his right hand. He uses his left for everything else: football (of the soccer variety), DIY, tennis etc. but his right for writing!

I assume he was a goalkeeper, otherwise using either of his hands in football is doing it wrong. And if he was a goalkeeper, then he would usually use both hands, or whichever hand was closest to the ball, so handedness should not matter even then.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
descor wrote:
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

It's sinister, isn't it?

I assume he was a goalkeeper, otherwise using either of his hands in football is doing it wrong. And if he was a goalkeeper, then he would usually use both hands, or whichever hand was closest to the ball, so handedness should not matter even then.

Ah, I didn't specify that he used his left hand for soccer; he uses his left foot!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

histrion wrote:

Cool, I think I will join them... no, wait...

Smithers wrote:Dear Cardinal Up Down Strange Charm Beauty Truth,
I noticed a while back that your sig was an image, instead of text. First I saw that the font was too small, but thought little of it. Then I realised that it had the wrong background colour when used in an odd-numbered reply and discovered that it was an image. Are you doing battle with the enemy that is the 300 character limit on sigs? Also, your image is in the PNG format, which supports (partial and full) transparency, so you could easily avoid the 'wrong colour' issue?

Yes, it's an image because there were too many characters for the signature. I haven't used a transparent background because... I actually didn't think about that, maybe I will change it one day, or maybe not.

descor wrote:
Smithers wrote:
descor wrote:
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

It's sinister, isn't it?

Ah, I didn't specify that he used his left hand for soccer; he uses his left foot!

Some friends of mine write with their right hand but play football with their left foot, it's not that strange.
Last edited by udscbt on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
descor wrote:For some unknown reason my Grandmother refused to let my Dad write with his left hand - she made him use his right hand. He uses his left for everything else: football (of the soccer variety), DIY, tennis etc. but his right for writing!

There are always throw-ins, though even there I guess most players use both hands.

I was struck more by the implication, descor, that you know what hand your Dad uses for, ah, DIY. For me, that would most certainly count as TMI.

[seriousness]
As far as I know, left-handedness was once thought to be some sort of deficiency or learning disability. My paternal grandfather was left-handed, but forced in school to write with his right hand. This would have been about a hundred years Outsider years or so ago, say.
[/seriousness]

EDIT:
buffygirl wrote:HERETICS! ALL OF YOU!

How's that saying go? If you meet a heretic first thing in the morning, you've met a heretic. If you meet nothing but heretics all day, maybe you're the heretic.

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
Smithers wrote:
descor wrote:For some unknown reason my Grandmother refused to let my Dad write with his left hand - she made him use his right hand. He uses his left for everything else: football (of the soccer variety), DIY, tennis etc. but his right for writing!

There are always throw-ins, though even there I guess most players use both hands.

I was struck more by the implication, descor, that you know what hand your Dad uses for, ah, DIY. For me, that would most certainly count as TMI.

[seriousness]
As far as I know, left-handedness was once thought to be some sort of deficiency or learning disability. My paternal grandfather was left-handed, but forced in school to write with his right hand. This would have been about a hundred years Outsider years or so ago, say.
[/seriousness]

Oh god OTC; I just had to consult Urban Dictionary to make sure I knew what you were getting at and I can honestly say I have never come across that implication before. I feel icky.

EDIT: By the way, what is the correct term for 'god' in the One True Religion?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

descor wrote:
partingLance wrote:
Smithers wrote:

[seriousness]
[/seriousness]

Oh god OTC; I just had to consult Urban Dictionary to make sure I knew what you were getting at and I can honestly say I have never come across that implication before. I feel icky.

EDIT: By the way, what is the correct term for 'god' in the One True Religion?

Time, One True Comic and Lord Randall are quite similar to deities in outsider religions. All three names are currently approved by the CDT.
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Image

GASP

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
Smithers wrote:

You'll be paying for descor's therapy bills, I assume?
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

descor wrote:Oh god OTC; I just had to consult Urban Dictionary to make sure I knew what you were getting at and I can honestly say I have never come across that implication before. I feel icky.

Ewps. Sorry about that, descor. Shows where my mind is typically to be found, I suppose (though at least it's looking up at... something).

EDIT: like KarMann says, have your therapist contact me so I can arrange for direct debit payment of hir invoices; and please accept my apologies meanwhile.

Smithers wrote:
partingLance wrote:But... but... must I? As I implied in my first post, I'd reluctant in the extreme to join any religion, or sect thereof, that would have me as a member.

Groucho Marx quotes? As far as I know, that is new to this thread.

I'm strangely pleased (and not a little surprised). Perhaps the old Preacher was overly pessimistic, and there is a new thing under the sun, once in a while, or under the OTC.
Last edited by partingLance on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

descor wrote:By the way, what is the correct term for 'god' in the One True Religion?

Randall.
DUH
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

What could this be? A power line? A mast for a sail? A support beam for a giant trebuchet? ONLY RANDALL KNOWS

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

What could this be? A power line? A mast for a sail? A support beam for a giant trebuchet? ONLY RANDALL KNOWS

What about a fishing pole, but for raptors?

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
descor wrote:Oh god OTC; I just had to consult Urban Dictionary to make sure I knew what you were getting at and I can honestly say I have never come across that implication before. I feel icky.

Ewps. Sorry about that, descor. Shows where my mind is typically to be found, I suppose (though at least it's looking up at... something).

EDIT: like KarMann says, have your therapist contact me so I can arrange for direct debit payment of hir invoices; and please accept my apologies meanwhile.

No apology necessary, just a simple (if slightly disturbing) miscommunication. I meant household repairs obviously.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Smithers wrote:
descor wrote:
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:

It's sinister, isn't it?

As far as I know, handedness is unrelated to footedness, and I don't think anyone has ever been prejudiced against left-footed people. In fact I think I am slightly left-footed (although I rarely do anything where it makes a difference), but am definitely right-handed and left-eyed.
udscbt wrote:
Smithers wrote:Dear Cardinal Up Down Strange Charm Beauty Truth,

Yes, it's an image because there were too many characters for the signature. I haven't used a transparent background because... I actually didn't think about that, maybe I will change it one day, or maybe not.

I have had my own fights with the character limit, if I use normal spaces in the quotee of my first quote, it does not fit. But apparently names of quotees do not count against you if they are all one word, hence the ofbeat Unicode character in its place.
partingLance wrote:As far as I know, left-handedness was once thought to be some sort of deficiency or learning disability. My paternal grandfather was left-handed, but forced in school to write with his right hand. This would have been about a hundred years Outsider years or so ago, say.

I don't know about disability; but I thought left-handedness had once been thought an indication of evil, or demonic possession.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”