1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

spamjam

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

raft w/sail

descor

Postby descor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:raft w/sail

Have we seen enough wood/caffeinatedsemencancerbabies to make a whole raft?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:I don't know about disability; but I thought left-handedness had once been thought an indication of evil, or demonic possession.

That's also true, or so I've heard as well. The "learning disability" part is my dad's account of it, my grandfather having died before I was born. Maybe that belief was just a 19th/early 20th century survival of the older one, dressed up in pseudo-scientific garb. I don't know what actual science it could have been based on.

EDIT:
descor wrote:

I don't think so -- I'm voting for a shortwave radio antenna because, shortwave.
Last edited by partingLance on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:What could this be? A power line? A mast for a sail? A support beam for a giant trebuchet? ONLY RANDALL KNOWS

It's interesting that you say "a giant trebuchet" when actually, by mundane standards, one only twelve to fourteen feet tall, with posts only a few inches in diameter, would be rather modest. Just shows how deeply we've moved into a world of sand-castle scale.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

descor wrote:For some unknown reason my Grandmother refused to let my Dad write with his left hand - she made him use his right hand. He uses his left for everything else: football (of the soccer variety), DIY, tennis etc. but his right for writing!

partingLance wrote:
Smithers wrote:I don't know about disability; but I thought left-handedness had once been thought an indication of evil, or demonic possession.

That's also true, or so I've heard as well. The "learning disability" part is my dad's account of it, my grandfather having died before I was born. Maybe that belief was just a 19th/early 20th century survival of the older one, dressed up in pseudo-scientific garb. I don't know what actual science it could have been based on.

Actually, I think the insistence on right-handed writing is a survival from 19th/early 20th century technology; writing left-handed (and presumably dragging your hand across where you've just written), you're much less likely to smear modern quick-drying inks.

I've never seen anyone do calligraphy (European-style) left-handed.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Image

She's gearing up for one awesome game of tetherball. Why is it awesome? Because Megan built it and will play it.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Your Eternal Servant And Companion Through Time,
Dame Not-Bob
Temporal Defender Of The One True Comic

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
descor wrote:For some unknown reason my Grandmother refused to let my Dad write with his left hand - she made him use his right hand. He uses his left for everything else: football (of the soccer variety), DIY, tennis etc. but his right for writing!

partingLance wrote:

Actually, I think the insistence on right-handed writing is a survival from 19th/early 20th century technology; writing left-handed (and presumably dragging your hand across where you've just written), you're much less likely to smear modern quick-drying inks.

I have a friend who's mom encouraged / made him eat right-handed, although his left-handedness in all other arenas was not questioned. Apparently she claimed it was to avoid the elbow-banging at the table when right-meets-left - similar to the ink-smearing issue.

smithers wrote:As far as I know, handedness is unrelated to footedness, and I don't think anyone has ever been prejudiced against left-footed people. In fact I think I am slightly left-footed (although I rarely do anything where it makes a difference), but am definitely right-handed and left-eyed.

I believe that I have read somewhere that there is a correlation between handedness and footedness. How to identify your footedness: If you usually take your first step with your LEFT foot, you are RIGHT-footed, b/c the right foot is the one launching you forward.

Shepherdess wrote:

She's gearing up for one awesome game of tetherball. Why is it awesome? Because Megan built it and will play it.

YES! YES! Megan's AWESOME tetherball game!!! WOOT!

EDIT: Minor edits, added comparison of eating to writing re: lefthandedness inconvenience
Last edited by buffygirl on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

I've predicted this before, but now I'm doubting that prediction.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

partingLance wrote:

I have a friend who's mom encouraged / made him eat right-handed, although his left-handedness in all other arenas was not questioned. Apparently she claimed it was to avoid the elbow-banging at the table when right-meets-left.

My sister is left-handed and eats with her left hand when using a single utensil, but holds a knife and fork together the same way a right-handed person would.
Also, does left-handedness deserve adding to http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_off_topic_discussions
buffygirl wrote:
smithers wrote:As far as I know, handedness is unrelated to footedness, and I don't think anyone has ever been prejudiced against left-footed people. In fact I think I am slightly left-footed (although I rarely do anything where it makes a difference), but am definitely right-handed and left-eyed.

I believe that I have read somewhere that there is a correlation between handedness and footedness. How to identify your footedness: If you usually take your first step with your LEFT foot, you are RIGHT-footed, b/c the right foot is the one launching you forward.

Which makes the phrase "best foot forwards" particularly poor advice.
buffygirl wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:

YES! YES! Megan's AWESOME tetherball game!!! WOOT!

Megan V Cueball Ultimate Swingball Deathmatch!!
Last edited by Smithers on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

Mistah Smithers, I do need to know if you plan to wear your hat on your current Avi, or if you prefer it to be a stand-alone item.

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I think she might be pulling something with one of her arms, that is currently just barely out-of-frame.
Also, cmyk: I have to know this. What is your avatar a picture of? Did you custom-create it? Or is your username based on the image?

I'm still in the past time a bit, but I believe she was carrying a delicious powdered cinnamon doughnut.

(To answer your question, HAL, yes, it's a character I made in Cinema 4D for a short film I wrote eons ago called "The End". Ive been chipping away at it for countless newpix, and not unlike this comic, it's a recurrsive journey about death after death, which I'm sure I'll never finish as I might miss a pixel move in this comic.

cmyk has been my Internet moniker since the mid-90s, when I started out in graphic design and trebuchet theory.)

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Mistah Smithers, I do need to know if you plan to wear your hat on your current Avi, or if you prefer it to be a stand-alone item.

I think my letter S is probably ill-suited to wearing a hat, especially as I believe it intersects the background of the image. (I lost the original source for the render many timeframes ago in a hard-drive failure [my backup policies have improved since then (as have my not-physically-abusing-my-computer policies)]).
TLDR: I do not plan for my avatar to wear the hat.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
histrion wrote:
I find myself using the theology of the Church of Last Thursday as a sort of conceptual reference point.

Gee Willikers, that's the creepiest thing ever.

It's definitely up there. Reminds me of what I find the creepiest thing ever, just about: a certain Robert Heinlein story.

Thanks for linking to that; I'm sure I've read it before, but it was probably more than three decades ago... Well worth another read, just mentally add 100 to each of the dates ....

As for the Church of Last Thursday.. I've often wondered if I've been making everything else up - sometimes what I perceive as "reality" seems a bit rough around the edges. I'd wondered if it was just glitches in the Matrix, but now I know I was imperfect when creating the universe!
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Mistah Smithers, I do need to know if you plan to wear your hat on your current Avi, or if you prefer it to be a stand-alone item.

I think my letter S is probably ill-suited to wearing a hat, especially as I believe it intersects the background of the image. (I lost the original source for the render many timeframes ago in a hard-drive failure [my backup policies have improved since then (as have my not-physically-abusing-my-computer policies)]).
TLDR: I do not plan for my avatar to wear the hat.

Thank you. Your hat is in progress.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

partingLance wrote:

My husband can. I do think forcing right-handedness had a "learning disability" reasoning behind it, misguided though it was. I'm pretty strongly left handed, and my mother had to insist the school not change it.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

udscbt
Cardinal

Postby udscbt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Time for coma!

[EDIT: too late]
udscbt (a.k.a アダスチボト), Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Prefect of the Congregatio pro Doctrina Temporis, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Burn y'all heretics!
buffygirl wrote:I, Timewaiter Buffygirl, Cardinal of The One True Comic, do hereby nominate you, udscbt, for the position of Cardinal. -poof!- You're a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Wait, that's not right - - -

bigcrag92 wrote:I Bigcrag92 being of soundish mind yada yada yada do ratify the cardinalship of udscbt nominated by buffygirl. may I and buffygirl be stuck down if we have erred in this decision.

bigcrag92 (continued...) wrote:by the power vested in me I now name you Cardinal peanut butter and jelly sandwich udscbt. arise my brethren

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

descor wrote:

We're assuming that what she was dragging in earlier was a bunch of poles. Maybe some of them were rectangular boards, because we've only seen the side of each.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Dammit! My hat is broken! I don't lift off! Image

But hey - I still have the cardboard box! Image

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, cmyk: I have to know this. What is your avatar a picture of? Did you custom-create it? Or is your username based on the image?

I know nothing of cmyk's avatar, but I think it's safe to say that the nick comes from the colour scheme abbreviation for Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-blacK.

You are correct, good sir! Plus the word "my" is in the middle bookended by my initials, and like "xkcd", no 4 letters, no vowels, all lowercase, and both names sharing two of the most important letters of the alphabet.

How cool am I now?

Oh wait... I think I saw a pixel move...

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:As far as I know, handedness is unrelated to footedness, and I don't think anyone has ever been prejudiced against left-footed people. In fact I think I am slightly left-footed (although I rarely do anything where it makes a difference), but am definitely right-handed and left-eyed.

An anecdote, not necessarily a data point: in Australia, I took a surfing lesson. First thing the instructor did was ask us which way we'd be inclined to stand on the board: with left foot forward, or right. Probably 90% of us preferred left foot, which is called (by surfers and snowboarders) the "regular" stance, while right foot forward is "goofy-footed" or just "goofy." "Do whatever feels more comfortable," we were told.

So not a prejudice, necessarily, just a recognition of difference; but to judge by the terms, there could well have been a stigma in the early days of surfing.

jjjdavidson wrote:

partingLance wrote:

That sounds plausible. You'd definitely have to contort your left hand to avoid that issue; might be easier to learn to write right-handed.

smithers wrote:My sister is left-handed and eats with her left hand when using a single utensil, but holds a knife and fork together the same way a right-handed person would.
Also, does left-handedness deserve adding to http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_off_topic_discussions

Erm... O dear. Probably. Thread drift, the entropy of discussion boards, takes its toll. On another forum, we started using "drift" as a transitive verb, as in "my thread! Just look at how you've drifted my thread, you bastards!"

EDIT:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, cmyk: I have to know this. What is your avatar a picture of? Did you custom-create it? Or is your username based on the image?

I know nothing of cmyk's avatar, but I think it's safe to say that the nick comes from the colour scheme abbreviation for Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-blacK.

You are correct, good sir! Plus the word "my" is in the middle bookended by my initials, and like "xkcd", no 4 letters, no vowels, all lowercase, and both names sharing two of the most important letters of the alphabet.

How cool am I now?

Pretty cool. I too worked in graphic design once upon a time (though not trebuchet theory -- didn't have the Latin for it, or the math), at which time I knew a guy who spelled his name Myk (as opposed to Mike). The magenta-yellow-black thing never occurred to me, though.
Last edited by partingLance on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

I think it's a flag pole and that weird triangular shaped thing she was dragging was a flag. So now they will have a real flag and not those fake plastic little flags.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:Image

No Megan! Don't use your head as the tetherball!

Use a cat instead. If you're a dog, anyway.
Last edited by Shepherdess on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Blitzgirl,

I don't know if you got my previous message and I just missed your reply, but I got tired of reading the same message so I decided it was time for a new one.

Dame Not-Bob

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

partingLance wrote:

My husband can. I do think forcing right-handedness had a "learning disability" reasoning behind it, misguided though it was. I'm pretty strongly left handed, and my mother had to insist the school not change it.

Of course, in some circumstances left-handedness has an advantage, such as assaulting a (sand)castle. Spiral staircases were designed such that a right-handed defender could move freely, while a right-handed attacker's sword arm would be blocked by the centre column. A left-handed attacker would negate this advantage.
I believe that with discussion of left-handed swordplay, I am required to link to this scene.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:

How cool am I now?

What about that profile image? Looks like an old man, but I don't recognize it from anywhere.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:

No! The cat stays in the plutonium box! You open that thing and a portal opens to the Late Cretaceous releasing untold raptors into the Now!

Besides, it's a flagpole. Hand over yer heart.... "I Pledge Allegiance, To the Randall Flagg..."

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:

How cool am I now?

What about that profile image? Looks like an old man, but I don't recognize it from anywhere.

Skip less. http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=10480#p3321036

Helper goeth to Starbux:

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:

How cool am I now?

Yep. The image is a CG character I made. He's a centenarian, but he doesn't have much to do with my username really. There's more on my Facebook Blag, on him and the short if you're interested. Linky.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I think it's a flag pole and that weird triangular shaped thing she was dragging was a flag. So now they will have a real flag and not those fake plastic little flags.

Oh gosh. How did I not see this earlier. They're on top of a giant sandcastle they'd already built before we, the audience, arrived (before the beginning of Time; heresy). The flag she's bringing in now is in proportion to the castle they are on top of, same as the two scales of castles we've seen so far each have to-scale flags.

The water is confusing if I'm right, but not inexplicable.
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:

How cool am I now?

Oh, durr. I've been skimming the stuff I miss during my daily coma a bit too lightly.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my thread-following will be back to normal.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:

No! The cat stays in the plutonium box! You open that thing and a portal opens to the Late Cretaceous releasing untold raptors into the Now!

Besides, it's a flagpole. Hand over yer heart.... "I Pledge Allegiance, To the Randall Flagg..."

Great Scottie! You're right! I almost made a catastrophic error!
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Roia

Postby Roia » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

I was all certain about her building scaffolding to build the castle higher but now I'm thinking "trebuchet" instead. Which is awesome. I wonder how powerful her trebuchet will be? (The current worlds most powerful trebuchet throws a projectile at 13 kilograms (29 lb) a distance of 249 metres (817 ft) at a speed of 260 kilometres per hour (160 mph) (wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Castle#The_Warwick_trebuchet)

What will it use as ammo? What will it fire at?
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:

... which, during their rampage, trample butterflies and then, after Megan's counter-assault with the giant trebuchet forces the survivors into a desperate retreat, track the remains of said butterflies underfoot all the way back to the Cretaceous, which results, in the 1950s, in the election of a crypto-fascist iron-guts President of the United States who, in his visceral hostility to "pointy-headed professors" and innovation of any kind, cuts off the funding that would have gone into the development of computing and networking, precluding the creation of DARPAnet and therefore of the subsequent Internet, so that xkcd and the One True Comic were never created, and Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

I've seen it all. I've seen it all through the yellow windows of the evening train.

EDIT: "pseudo" was wrong there [/pendantry].
Last edited by partingLance on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shepherdess

Postby Shepherdess » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:

... which, during their rampage, trample butterflies and then, after Megan's counter-assault with the giant trebuchet forces the survivors into a desperate retreat, track the remains of said butterflies underfoot all the way back to the Cretaceous, which results, in the 1950s, in the election of a pseudo-fascist iron-guts President of the United States who, in his visceral hostility to "pointy-headed professors" and innovation of any kind, cuts off the funding that would have gone into the development of computing and networking, precluding the creation of DARPAnet and therefore of the subsequent Internet, so that xkcd and the One True Comic were never created, and Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

I've seen it all. I've seen it all through the yellow windows of the evening train.

What's the official stance on paradoxes?
Dear Blitzgirl,

Dame Not-Bob

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:

... which, during their rampage, trample butterflies and then, after Megan's counter-assault with the giant trebuchet forces the survivors into a desperate retreat, track the remains of said butterflies underfoot all the way back to the Cretaceous, which results, in the 1950s, in the election of a pseudo-fascist iron-guts President of the United States who, in his visceral hostility to "pointy-headed professors" and innovation of any kind, cuts off the funding that would have gone into the development of computing and networking, precluding the creation of DARPAnet and therefore of the subsequent Internet, so that xkcd and the One True Comic were never created, and Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

They are allowed when, and only when, they are illegal.
Last edited by Elmach on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Smithers wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
KarMann wrote:

How cool am I now?

Oh, durr. I've been skimming the stuff I miss during my daily coma a bit too lightly.
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my thread-following will be back to normal.

Yeh, suuuure... that's what you said the last time after that whole "100% antenna failure" debacle on the Discovery.
Last edited by cmyk on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

histrion

Postby histrion » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:What's the official stance on paradoxes?

I bet there are two contradictory official stances.
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
Spoiler:

Well, when you've got the orthodox, and the heterodox, that's a paradox, right?

Edit: hide the image
Last edited by KarMann on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

Shepherdess wrote:
partingLance wrote:
cmyk wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:No Megan! Don't use your head as the tetherball!

... which, during their rampage, trample butterflies and then, after Megan's counter-assault with the giant trebuchet forces the survivors into a desperate retreat, track the remains of said butterflies underfoot all the way back to the Cretaceous, which results, in the 1950s, in the election of a crypto-fascist iron-guts President of the United States who, in his visceral hostility to "pointy-headed professors" and innovation of any kind, cuts off the funding that would have gone into the development of computing and networking, precluding the creation of DARPAnet and therefore of the subsequent Internet, so that xkcd and the One True Comic were never created, and Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

I couldn't say: I've been advised to join the Eastern unorthodox Timewaiters, whose theology doesn't seem to run to such questions just yet.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Suspension bridge. Definitely a suspension bridge.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”